November 4th, 2008

Bet you're wondering what's up at the White House

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/10/24/bush.trail/art.presidentbush.gi.jpg]
Kathleen Koch
CNN White House Correspondent

Only one thing breaks the sound of silence at the White House today – the pounding of hammers outside the north fence as workers construct the inaugural parade grandstand.

President Bush, for the fifth day in a row, has no public events on his schedule. Even the White House briefing has been canceled for the day.
Mr. Bush and the First Lady cast their ballots for John McCain via absentee ballot on October 24th. In every preceding election, the President voted in person at the polls in Crawford, Texas.

White House Press Secretary Dana Perino says President Bush plans to stay at the White House tonight and watch election returns come in with family and friends, while celebrating Laura Bush's 62nd birthday.

At the White House briefing Monday, Perino commented on the president's absence not only from the campaign trail – but from the ballot.

"It's the first time in 14 years that President Bush hasn't been on the ballot," said Perino. "And that's a different role for him than in the past."
Regarding President Bush's dropping out of sight this week, Perino explained, "Look, we are realistic about the political environment that we are in. The Republican Party wanted to make this election about John McCain, and that's appropriate."

Perino blamed the President's low 28 percent approval ratings in part on unpopular actions he's taken like proposing the 700 billion dollar financial rescue plan.

"And often when you do big things and you make tough decisions, they're not popular. President Bush understands that," said Perino. "When he goes home to Texas, President Bush will be able to look in the mirror and know that he was true to his values and true to his principles. And that's what keeps him going."

Filed under: Kathleen Koch • Raw Politics
  1. Don D

Bush can still do a lot of damage. He seems bent on a scorched earth program of last minute actions which will be difficult or impossible to undo. It makes me concerned about what damage can Bush do between now and January 20 which cannot be stopped or undone.

November 4, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Patty

Can't wait for moving trucks outside the White House.

Good Riddence.

November 4, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  3. lampe

Ananda: I will make you a deal. I will meet you back here, in 4 or 8 years. And If Obama wins, I will return the favor, and tell you how bad I think he has been for this Country, and maybe I'll be the one commiting sucide. Gov. Palin, might not be your pick, but she sure as HELL, is mine.

November 4, 2008 at 9:14 pm |
  4. Patrick, Belfast, Ireland.

WOW! I have been watching CNN election night from 9pm Irish time, and I must say that Wolf Blitzer and John King are like computers themselves, the intelligence is oozing out of them! And the studio guests and presenters are brilliant, and the Republicans are taking what's happening with great grace and dignity when the results are coming in, although I would be an Obama supporter myself, like the ninety per cent of people in Ireland. CNN, a great news station, the best! Most definitely.

November 4, 2008 at 9:11 pm |
  5. Jim, Ca.

He's either figuring out what Lie he can tell so He can impose Martial Law,& become Dictator, or He's statred packing to leave the Country on Jan 20th. would be my guess

November 4, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  6. Max

At least PEOPLE aren't SO worried about the ECONOMY today????

Kind of????

November 4, 2008 at 8:57 pm |
  7. Stephen

What will stop some states from cheating, (ie) Florida or for that martter Texas? These are states that the Bushes have great influence.

November 4, 2008 at 8:52 pm |
  8. Kelli in Philadelphia, Pa

I have never posted anything on a message board in my life, but this election has inspired me with the notion of CHANGE!!! I agree with everyone preceding me, the best thing Bush can do right now is fall back, and while he's in the White House he betta be packing up his crap!!! I do feel sorry for all Texans who have to see him come back, but hey I feel more sorry for all of US (citizens) who have to breathe the same air he breathes so let's all pray his stupidity isn't airborne!!!!! I pray that everyone who has the power to vote has exercised their right and that
    God will see our suffering and deliver us from another evil leader!!!! LETS GO OBAMA/BIDEN 08!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  9. Erv

What is the procedure that is law if the person elected to the Presidency expires, or is found to be incapable or unfit, before being sworn in to office?

November 4, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  10. Junius Brutus

The fact that Bush remains 'true to his values and true to his principles' is EXACTLY the problem. Everyone else (including many Republicans) understands how badly he's botched up the job.

November 4, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  11. sabra norwood

after reading your article about pres bush, theres no way im going to feel sorry for him. ..he is a man who knew he didnt know anything about what he was doing, the savings and loan scandal he was involved in screamed he did know what he was doing, his military record and substance abuse records showed his imaturity and priorities away from mom and dads' apron and then the govenorship given to him becuz of mom and dads' friends, money and influence...i quess they thought if theyd put him in a recpectable,high position he'd rise.he didn...he floored it...bottomed out again....did the savings and loan thing bbbiiiig time...took the military to new heights in a war that was created on lies(like his military record, which was altered)...and now because of his mess, hes' got the republican party acting like drunken sailors!..wonder what mom and dad bush will buy him now...ill just scream if i see bush on some book tour or commentating for fox news....probably....

November 4, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  12. Courtney in KS

Laughable!

November 4, 2008 at 6:39 pm |
  13. Ananda

After watching the movie 'W', I feel really sorry for Bush Senior than Bush Junior because he didnt want to see the 'BUSH' name is tarnished even a bit. However, thanks to junior, Bush name is not just tarnished but "erradicated' from US politics. However, still I think Bush junoir is better than Sara Palin so if there are any republicans reading this message, please, please, please, I beg you all,. dont let her coming in to federal politics because we love this country SO much and it is not Alaska or hockey we are talking. This is the great est country and the nation on earth so I will commit suicide if she comes to federal politics or to US senate.

November 4, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  14. Marleen bryan

This guy made some HUGE mistakes on his watch. I'm glad is OUT!

November 4, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  15. Michael in Houston, Texas

No it is the Iraq occupation, the fact that you lied about WMD's, the fact that you turned a blind eye from New Orleans, subordinates ousted a CIA agent, etc is why you have a 28% approval rating. Heck the 700 billion dollor coporate welfare check is the icing on a big stinking cake that your administration, Mr. Bush, have been cooking since 2000. How can you call yourself a man Mr. Bush and look in the mirror and even suggest that you were true to anyone? You will go down as one of the worse leaders in world history and you deserve every bit of critisism you get. I glad you and your staff are quite for once.

November 4, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  16. Annie Kate

At least he's staying out of sight so he doesn't sway any voters who might change their mind in the voting line. I can't imagine that happening but I suppose its possible. I'll be glad when he's out of sight and back in Texas on his ranch as Former President Bush. He may feel good about the decisions he made but its the citizens who have to live with the fallout from those decisions. I don't think we feel so good about what he did.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

November 4, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  17. Jackie in Dallas

I just wish he wasn't coming back to Texas...no telling what kind of trouble he will stir up!

November 4, 2008 at 5:26 pm |