November 3rd, 2008

For Obama, bigger is much, much better

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/03/art.obama.mccain.buttons.jpg]
David Gergen | BIO
AC360° Contributor
CNN Senior Political Analyst

With victory almost in his grasp, the looming question for Barack Obama is whether he will squeak by or whether he can roll up the score. It will matter enormously to his leadership as President.

For Obama supporters, just climbing to the top of the mountain with 270 electoral votes has always seemed daunting enough. And they are right. After all, Democrats have seen triumphs slip away from them so often - they have lost 7 of the past 10 presidential elections - that they are extremely uneasy that the Republicans can pull an upset this time, too. It seems unlikely after a raft of national polls this weekend showed Obama with a national lead of around 7 points - and by some estimates in double digits. Still, there were also unsettling state polls last night by the Mason Dixon firm showing McCain closing in fast in North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio and Missouri. Who can say for sure that Pennsylvania will remain blue. It ain't over 'till it's over.

But when the dust clears and if the Democrats have pulled it off, the Obama team will care a great deal about the size and breadth of victory. Much of his early presidency will hang in the balance.

There are three keys to watch on Tuesday night:

1. Percentage of the national vote. Right now, there is a solid prospect that Obama can rack up 51 percent or more of the total vote. If so, he would be the first Democrat since Jimmy Carter to win a majority of the national vote (Carter had 50.1 percent) and only the second Democrat since Franklin Roosevelt to claim a majority (Lyndon Johnson was the other). That historic standing would give Obama a fresh boost as the president-elect and would mean that he could run ahead of Members of Congress in their own states. In Washington, that gives a president extra power.

2. Number of red states won. In recent campaigns, Democratic presidential contenders have won mostly on the east and west coasts and the upper midwest. John Kerry only won 19 states plus the District of Columbia, and one could get on a plane at Dulles and fly to Los Angeles without flying over a state that the Democrats won.

Obama has had a vision since his convention speech in 2004 of Democrats becoming a national party, getting beyond the traditional red/blue divides. And he now has a good chance of doing it. If he can win a couple of southern states, plus two or three states from the Rocky Mountains, not to mention more Midwestern areas, he can claim a true national victory - and he would have the makings of a new, majority coalition for the Democrats, something they have lacked for decades.

3. The size of Democratic wins in the Senate and House. The Democrats were heading toward significant pick-ups with or without a presidential win, but if Obama racks up a convincing victory and is accompanied by nine or more new Democratic Senators and a couple of dozen new House members, that will give him muscle on Capitol Hill that few Presidents have enjoyed. I was working for Ronald Reagan in 1980 when he trounced Jimmy Carter and Republicans swept to 12 pick-ups in the Senate and 33 in the House. Reagan was much more respected - and effective - in working with Congress because of that thumping victory.

So, the eyes of the Obama team will be focused on getting to 270 electoral votes tomorrow night, but those who care about governing - and Obama cares more than most appreciate - will be watching, too, to see how big and broad a victory he can achieve. It could be an historic night in more ways than one.

Filed under: Barack Obama • David Gergen • Raw Politics
  1. Michael

Thanks, Mr. Gergen. I value your opinion as you are not one of those easily excitable pundits from EITHER the right or the left.

November 4, 2008 at 1:05 am |
  2. rusty

David, I'm wishing and hoping for a huge Obama victory, but I won't allow myself to believe it till I see it. By all rights, wouldn't you agree that he deserves it, given the campaign he ran, as compared to the pathetic campaign McCain ran? I mean, if McCain actually wins this, how can he look the American people in the eye, his campaign was one of endless attacks on the character of Barack Obama. In the end, I'm hoping the American people give him, and Cindy, and Sarah a firm rejection of their low road campaign. They don't deserve to lead anyone. Tuesday will tell the tale.

November 4, 2008 at 1:04 am |
  3. Pam, WV

In response to the sfokc6125 comment – "Lets see if you can count his mother and father were not American Citizens. The state became a state in 1959 he was born in 1961 it take 7 years to become a citizen. Only born citizens can hold that office."

Obama's mother was born in Kansas, to American citizens, which makes her an American citizen, she never renounced her citizenship at any time. If you want to take that route – John McCain was born in Panama. I don't think Panama is one of the 50 states.
    You also need to check the tax plans again – under Obama's plan the average American will receive a larger tax break. I think you need to check the facts and issues. Try factcheck.com.

November 4, 2008 at 1:03 am |
  4. Lynette Joseph

The Fox News channel appear to have 'out foxed' themselves. Negative news coverage can be of great help and probably helped Senator Obama.

When the Democrats win this election, lets see what happens in the 'no spin' zones.

America must return to being the First Nation in the world.

November 4, 2008 at 12:55 am |
  5. AZjim

Last minute fabrications and scare tactics by the right wing are not going to work this time. The majority of Americans realize the issues are too serious to allow themselves to be distracted by these petty lies. Obama will be victorious with over 50% of the popular vote.Even if we give G.W. Bush credit for actually winning in 2000, he won by a very narrow margin. Bush operated his presidency as if he had won by a landslide. Obama is not that sort of politician. He will truly unite our country.

November 4, 2008 at 12:53 am |
  6. DC Voter

I would like Mr. Gergen's commentary better if he didn't distort statistics to his advantage. Yes, R's won 7 of the last 10; but they also won 7 of the last 12; 9 of the last 14; and 9 of the last 19. Or, if you would prefer, R's won only 2 of the last 4. Suddenly, the R election record doesn't seem so convincing. Perhaps it is just ordinary transfer of power from one party to another - a good democratic exercise of checks and balances.

November 4, 2008 at 12:52 am |
  7. Vickie

We will be surprised with the outcome: A victory for Mc Cain! After this election my t.v. will be off for a long time. It ' s sad to see the corruption of the media in this country! I believe they should be looking for other kinds of jobs!

November 4, 2008 at 12:50 am |
  8. Kim

Obama ! They want to see your birth certificate ? Do you need to know the color of the underwear our elected officials are wearing ? That could be a sound bite and we'll turn into a motion picture with MGM ! His grandmom passed and leave him alone ! I'm sick of everybody picking fights including myself and there in a fuss on Anderson Cooper ! Call security !

November 4, 2008 at 12:45 am |
  9. Mongo

I guess one of my measures (in addition to the may others) of the Obama campaign is the rhetoric versus action. As an Independent, I will vote platform, but I did not see the inclusiveness of Obama's platform. Sorry folks – it ain't there. And after having been confronted by Obama supporters – who by direction got pretty vocal and accused me of things that ......sigh.....shakes head......

His campaign ran just like all other campaigns have in the past. I do believe he will be elected, but I predict little of a "new " way of conducting politics within the Beltway will come to pass.

What concerns me are the interviews where he has discussed the flaws in our Constitution, wealth redistribution, carbon cap and trade, social issues – the list goes on.

As i told the McCain campaign in my own state – McCain is a candidate with warts and I find it hard to vote for him. But in comparison to Obama – I have no choice.

Finally, to close my wandering missive – my vote does not count in a state where a large bloc on the other side of the state has already determined where my electoral vote goes – and on the national level – I am disenfranchised by that stark fact.

November 4, 2008 at 12:40 am |
  10. Dan Edmonds

Actually the candidate born outside of the United States is John McCain. He was born in the country of Panama. I assume he was born in the military hospital on post. It may have been United States territory, but it definitely was not in one of the 48 states of which the United States consisted at that time. Gee, do you think we should let John run?

November 4, 2008 at 12:36 am |
  11. slc in nyc

Stokc6125 What in the world are you talking about. You sound worse than Gov. Palin. Are you a relative?

November 4, 2008 at 12:34 am |
  12. Jim Hart

David: Thank you for your quiet, gentle, and steadfast way of reporting the facts of this race. When I am watching CNN, I always hope that you will have a chance to get a comment in on every issue because I know your comments will be based on facts and analysis, not on partisan ideology or on what you might personally want to be true.

I have been making the same points to my friends and in blogs – it's not enough for Obama to simply win. First, he needs to win by a large margin in order to have the political capital that he will need to turn around 8 years of reckless adventurism. Second, the GOP needs to lose by a large margin so that they will know deep down that they need a fundamental shift in their tactics and philosophy in order to get back into the electorate's good graces. If the GOP loses by just a little, they'll try the same type of negative fear-mongering next time. Only a huge loss on their part had a chance to make them reflect on what type of party they have become, and how far that is from the type of party Lincoln wanted them to be.

November 4, 2008 at 12:34 am |
  13. Todd

David,
    Great article. I don't understand how some people can take this as media bias...? It's been a long eight years and I am so tired of the uninformed spouting lies and the Christian fundamentalists pushing their extreme agenda that divides. Thanks for the insights. After the last couple elections I think its understandable to be cautiously optimistic.

November 4, 2008 at 12:29 am |
  14. dolly24

Thanks for the unbiased opinion, David. Why does not
    CNN have Pat Cadell on? A Democrat, a liberal; but, someone who disagrees with tactics. Almost everyone on CNN, preaches to the left wing choir. I see Obama winning the popular vote to McCain. If you thought 2000 was bad, get ready for the fight of your life. Obama will not succumb to the US Supreme Court; he will take it to the world court. Middle fingers to Hillary and McCain; do you not realize what kind of person you are voting for? If Obama is change, I don't want it.

November 4, 2008 at 12:17 am |
  15. David

To jv88 and sfokc6125 and McCain's "friends", if you can't win by policy ideas, leadership and truthfulness, then try dishonesty, trickery, cheating and innuendo. And feel proud about it, because that's the way Presidents of the US of A should be elected. Right?

November 4, 2008 at 12:09 am |
  16. Jerry L.

A quick perspective/observation from one Canadian. America needs the Obama/Biden ticket right now and frankly, if somehow Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin squeek in, well, you (collectively) deserve what you get.....although it seems unlikely that will happen.

I have watched CNN far more than I thought I would and I find the coverage while overwhelming at times is truly riveting at other times, I suppose a testiment to this historic race. And regarding coverage, no one has impressed me as much as you have with your measured and insightful commentary night after night. It is great entertainment to watch the party wags go at it but the real meat in this election inevitably comes from you. Thanks and cheers!

November 4, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  17. Will

I totally agree with your view on the map, its trending heavily democratic and the race looks great for Obama. Its time for the Change We Need.

Obama/Biden 08

November 4, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  18. Furphys Anonymous

You've heard about the majority of taxes Obama has planned to introduce, but have you heard of the covert tax? The money is taken directly from your bank account – however, it does not show up on your bank statements!!! Your bank balance may show $1000, when your actual balance is $1000 minus $50 covert tax!!!
    If you vote for Obama then you deserve this covert tax, and you will go to hell for being pro abortionists. Wait on, you will first be killed by covert muslims like Obama and then burnt into ashes by Weather Underground activists, with Tony Rezko watching. Then you will go to hell for being pro abortionists.

Is this convincing enough for you to vote McCain? Or should I type it in caps?

November 4, 2008 at 12:05 am |
  19. Betty Sedona

Once again, David Gergen proves his genious. His contribution to this election has been absolutely immeasurable. Consider me one of his biggest fans!

Betty

November 4, 2008 at 12:02 am |
  20. Sam Johnson

Great article. Unlike some, I found this article to be unbiased, simply giving an analysis on the current political situation. I'll keep it all in mind while watching the political circus tomorrow. Thanks!

November 3, 2008 at 5:03 pm |
  21. Retired VET

RE: sfokc6125

Maybe you could find another country to move to....then you won't have to fret and frazzle you wee brain over the next EIGHT years....

November 3, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  22. ConservativeDem

Vegas, are you serious?

"I think the major buisnesses in the US believe it too… you can see the layoffs starting already… trying to stay ahead of the coming payroll tax increases…"

Have you even been paying attention to the latest economic news? Have you even looked at Obama's tax plan, or are you just spouting reprehensible Republican rhetoric?

Clearly, these are rhetorical questions.

November 3, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  23. jv88

When you say Obama cares about governing, what do you base that on?

Obama’s career is mainly running for office. As a legislator, his experience is razor thin and very liberal. As a community organizer / lawyer, his experiences are very questionable and generally very radical. As a campaigner, Obama has been handled like no candidate has ever been handled. Instead of probing and/or follow up questions, instead of researching into his background, his experiences or his voting records, the national media chose instead to applaud, praise, cheer, and defend him and his associates. The only difficult questions Obama received in 2 years of traveling with the national media was from Joe the Plummer and a local Florida newscaster, both of whom are now being trashed by that same national media, how pathetic is that! Have you or CNN asked Obama any tough questions?

Of course, you and the national media never had any intention knowing what Obama stands for, what makes him who he is, and what direction he’ll take the country. Three reasons for this; the dreaded “racist” tag, most of the media is very liberal, but more importantly; Obama is a big news event, an event the media does want to be left out of.

The problem is, once you’re the president, there is no escaping the tough questions. And if Obama gets in the backlash on the media will be huge.

Vote McCain/Palin.

November 3, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  24. Nancy Robinson

I wonder what are we going to do after Tuesday??? My TV stays on CNN-MSNBC 35 hours a day. I said from day 1 the only reason OBAMA does not win will be because of the color of his SKIN. We have come tooooooo far and there is no excuse for ignorance. The world IS changing and we all need to get ready expecially RUSH LIMBAUGH. I respect him because you know where he stands and he is not one of those IN THE CLOSET BIGOTS.
    Thank you and keep up the good job that you do along with Anderson Cooper.

Nancy

November 3, 2008 at 5:01 pm |
  25. Launcelot

The biggest mistake that the Republicans made during the last 8 years was to govern as though they were still campaigning. While this led to short term gains (i.e., 2002) and reelection, it turned out to be a recipe for disaster for their party. Because campaigning is necessarily divisive and governing requires building–not just a majority–but a semblance of consensus. Large Democratic majorities in Congress will undoubtedly help Obama as he begins to lead the country in a new direction. But more importantly (as those majorities may well be transient–witness 1994) will be HOW he governs. Will he seek to unite us (as he says) or to divide us (as Bush did)? If Obama really means what he says and tries to heal the awful wounds Bush and his crowd inflicted on our country during the last 8 years, the Democrats may well hold the reins for a long time.

This could have been the Republicans' fate, had they behaved differently, had they governed wisely, in a manner befitting the majority party. Instead, they go to a well-deserved and ignominious defeat. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

Let us hope, not only for the sake of the Democrats but for the sake of the country, that Obama is wiser. Let us hope that the Democrats rule "with malice towards none, with charity for all ..."

November 3, 2008 at 4:59 pm |
  26. GergenRules!

Dear Mr. Gergen,

You're just about one of the last people I respect, appreciate, and trust for fair and intelligent commentary. Thanks for hanging in there over the last few months. You deserve a special place in heaven for all the potential spittakes you've stifled or avoided–fureel.

November 3, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  27. Dave

sfokc6125, you acknowledge that Obama was born in Hawaii when it was a state, so he is a natural born citizen. In fact, a natural born citizen does not need to be born in a state (as opposed to a territory); after all, John McCain is considered a natural born citizen, even though he was born in the Panama Canal zone.

November 3, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  28. Lonny King

All these republicans who complain that the press is too liberal. A lot of it is simply stating the common sensical, intelligent thing and the conservatives scream liberal bias. And, fox News calls itself "fair and balanced." They are no more fair and balanced than the current administration.

November 3, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  29. cynic

sfokc6125 as someone else said his mother was a citzen. An being born in Hawaii makes him a citized even if it was not a state. Do you disagree it was a territory? Have you thought about McCain being born in Panama?

November 3, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  30. bob00004

Hopeful... but Dems should do everything they can to get out the vote, especially in challenging swing states. My take on the polls is that Obama will NOT win Fl, OH, IN, NC, MO, NV, although I hope he does. I think he may even lose VA (the old south and republican evil on election day, you know...). He must win PA, CO and NM for 273 votes. If you know anyone in those states, go to work... He has to win those three states!

November 3, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  31. Melinda Charlotte, NC

Mr. Gergen,
    I am glad to know your psychic ability has predicted an Obama win. Can I take you to Vegas with me? I would love your help with Blackjack. I say, let the people vote before deciding the outcome of this election. I am so sick of all the pundits being like this. Well, I stopped watching CNN and MSNBC, so I really do not watch any pundits. The American voter will decide this election, and then we can discuss governing mandates. I am voting for John McCain, and I would love to see him win just to shut you know it all pundits up.
    Melinda

November 3, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  32. Dahveed

David: Thank you! Excellent article! I appreciate your experienced political insight. Like Regan, Obama is capable of providing the citizenry with inspiration, motivation, and optimistic energy!! He's got the vision thing plus intelligence. Go Obama!!

November 3, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  33. Bill

Hi David;

Momentum has been with Mr Obama since his early victories in the Democartic race. He is a product of change and has energized the american public on both the republican and democratic sides. A big victory tommorow seems possible and right now seems probable. If he is to win I hope it is by a large margin so the democratic party can bring sweeping change in washinton. America is the nation the world looks to for leadership and right now america is ripe for a new vision. Obama isn't experienced but he evokes hope and hope is what american spirit is based on. He is half black half white with a controversial name. He belongs to no race or religion exclusively and thus is a model of future society. A society where we move beyond simple ideology and fear and move toward solutions and greater good. Too much energy is wasted fighting amongst ourselves and other nations it is not a fairy tale to think mankind can evolve to a greater consciousness. The dreams of Abraham Lincoln, JFK and Martin Luther King resonate in all of us. Red or Blue all americans and all peoples are essentially the same. Obama is only representing what is inside us all even though some may try to hide it. We are looking for a better way to do business a better way to deliver services. The american people will rise to any challenge Obama is simply a symbol of hope nothing more. After the election the economy with right itself via the "invisible hand" ie it will right itself in accordance to the real market equilibrium. New technologies will continue to trickle into mainstream life GDP will again increase and the world will continue to prosper. A large victory for Obama will be a catalyst a spark that will ignite the match of change.

Thank you David for you analysis on CNN. I really look forward to you comments during the new administrations tenure. CNN is a great medium for the american citizen to aquire information and desseminate new information.

November 3, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  34. Ab Tal

Re: sfokc6125

Dude, time to buy extra ammo, camo, water and canned goods. Get to the mountains before the Commies, Muslims, Gays, and Black People come get you. Boo!

November 3, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  35. Tejana

I believe that the conservatives have lost this election because most of us ARE JUST PLAIN TIRED of being told that we are not patriotic or christian if we didn't agree with all of their ideology, or if we live in a city or if we are not white or if we are not "rednecks". How dare they! Their intolerance and self righteousness is coming home to roost. They have become everything the founding fathers were against and everything our brave service men and women fought against. They are making people afraid of the future if they don't get their way.

We are all looking for a change, a change in the dialog so that all of us can be including in making a new future. Yes we need to look at all of these things, but a new page has turned for our county...and a new generation is going to take charge.

November 3, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  36. bugoff

everyone I talked to today that was undecided has decided to swing right. They were totally not liking the big O's abortionist stance, or his "tax" ideas
    signed-
    a puma democrat in FT lauderdale
    ....it's gonna be crazy tomorrow
    no one will be satisfied that the results are accurate and we will be watching talking heads for weeks to come while the lawyers get busy.

November 3, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  37. Cynthia

David, I understand what you are saying about a large win but as I see it when he wins that will speak volumes as to where we have come as a country. In addition to that, it will definitely improve how the rest of the world views us.

November 3, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  38. a. n. westchester n.y

Hey David,

What guarantee do we have that the election machines have not been rigged..... are you guys going to cover the findings of the blackbox team? and what has been done since then to investigate the makers of election machinery?

November 3, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  39. Sharon Kitchen

I ,like alot of folks, will be watching the totals as they come in. I hope that what you have said comes true.......Obama/Biden '08 in aBIG way.

It is time for CHANGE.

It is time the voters vote counted.

It is time for Obama/Biden.

November 3, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  40. Vegas

Yea...
    And CNN called Florida for Gore in 00 and Ohio for Kerry in 04...

I'll wait for the count... however I believe Obama will win the election... we shall see...

I think the major buisnesses in the US believe it too... you can see the layoffs starting already... trying to stay ahead of the coming payroll tax increases...

November 3, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  41. CF in Naples, FL

I always appreciate your comments and how easily you and a few others share the depth of your understanding.

I basically learned to think as a child from reading Mike Royko and Sydney J. Harris in the Chicago Daily News. I've gotten very upset at the trends in what goes by the name of "journalism" and "commentary" over the past thirty years. Royko was so right when he warned us about the invasion of 'the alien'.

November 3, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  42. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

@ "Sfokc6125": Dude, better do your own research and get the FACTS straight. Sen. Obama's mother was born in the state of KANSAS! Duh. His dad in Kenyan. Sen. Obama was born in 1961 Hawaii BECAME A STATE IN .........1959! SO many LIES!

Mr. Gergen, we admire you at our house, you are eloquent and fair.
    I just spent my morning calling voters in Colorado for the Obama campaign. We are here in the state of Utah, where 100's of us, volunteers are calling to "get-out-the-vote". Most everyone I called were college students who have voted or will be voting tomorrow turning Colorado BLUE!

The polls are wrong.

November 3, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  43. Liz

Why does John Mcain not wear a flag pin when Obama got into so much trouble for not wearing one

November 3, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  44. Cindy

Gergen,
    It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings! These polls you point to have been wrong WAY more than right. The TIPP poll, the most accurate of 2004 has the race at a 2.1 spread. So don't count your chickens before they hatch. This race is far from over.

And BTW...I used to like you because you were atleast one pundit who was unbiased. Now you are just one in a million who slant everything to the liberal leftist side. So sorry...I can't take you serious.

Cindy...Ga.

November 3, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  45. Bev

FYI – As for the coal miners issue – it's a lie being spread on Fox News. Check your facts and check McCain's backing of the same thing.

November 3, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  46. Franky

You know David, I was thinking about this a LONG TIME AGO...

When I was talking about how my boy can win Montana, the GOP just laughed at my face. When I was talking about how he could have a chance in Indiana because we(Illinois) give it a major boost in terms of being a neighbor and recognition(and also because of the Big Ten...I'm telling you, I have evidence! LOL!), the GOP punched me in the face. When he can finally take Virginia for the GOP since the 60's the GOP ignore it, etc. And what did I say about Iowa?? I'm telling you, don't wanna get upset the people of Iowa.

They laughed at me David, they laughed at me and who got the last laugh now?? Even Andrew Jackson would be proud how far we've come, LOL!!

This is all I'm gonna say...it is gonna be crazy...is gonna be REAL crazy.

November 3, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  47. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Hello Mr. Gergen,

Thank you for the Primer. As one who greatly values your wisdom, I promise to put it to good use tomorrow night. Fantastic information!

Really looking forward to spending this exciting day tomorrow with you and all of the BPTOT; or even better, as Anderson dubbed y'all – The Best Political Hoarde on Television". 🙂

Best wishes to you all. It's almost over and you can all get some well deserved rest.

November 3, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  48. Hope Stevens

I believe that there is a margin of error with the cnn polls and that Senator Obama is going to trounce Senator Mccain by 300+ electoral votes.

Optimistic, maybe, but then again election night is but a day away.

November 3, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  49. Gino Motafferi

What is unbeleivable about the prank phone call from President Sarkosy, as orchestrated by a French Canadian radio station in Montreal, is when allege Sarkosy mentions a jibberish name for the Prime Minister of Canada, she claims to know him very well and has set up many trade deals with him. She did the same when a jiberish name was used to identify the Premiere of Quebec!

Total lack of knowledge about current events by Palin with her neighbour Canada!!

Gino

November 3, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  50. sfokc6125

Lets see if you can count his mother and father were not American Citizens. The state became a state in 1959 he was born in 1961 it take 7 years to become a citizen. Only born citizens can hold that office. But I am going to guess that you ether want to pay 50% of your hard earned money to a program taken fro ether FDR that failed of Carter that also failed . Or you are one of the ones who will receive the funds. Ether way it is of no consequences'. Homeland security is going to get the LA tape and that will bar him no mater what lies he uses to get in. We will not have a President that has ties to domestic and foreign terrorists . I also know you do NOT raise taxes and spend more when the dollar is down. You cut both to increase economy that creates job that creates revenue that gains the stock market. that is how it is done. You also don't go after a a union base industry. The Coal miners don't like it when you say you are going to bankrupt them and the towns they live and raise their families'.

November 3, 2008 at 4:04 pm |