October 31st, 2008

Morning Buzz: I Can Feel Momentum

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Happy Halloween everyone!

So do you have your John McCain or Barack Obama costumes ready yet? Or did you decide to be Sarah Palin and/or Joe Biden? How about Joe the Plumber? (has this guy gotten his 15 minutes fame or What? More like 15 DAYS of fame)

We have 4 days to go. Just think, by the time you go trick or treating tonight, eat all the candy tomorrow, and get sick from all the candy on Sunday- batta bing batta boom-it will already be Monday and just the eve of Election Night U.S.A.

Barack Obama is in Iowa today- a state that went Republican 4 years ago but where Obama now has the lead. He then heads home to Chicago just in time to take his little ones to a Halloween party, and then onto Indiana, another normally Republican state that is now a toss-up.

But I’m burying the lead here (cue drum roll). Our own Wolf Blitzer interviews Obama today and we’ll have plenty of sound from him to use during AC360. (remember we featured John McCain on CNN Wed, and now it’s the other guy’s turn). Obama had some choice words about McCain yesterday: “If you want to know where Senator McCain will drive this economy, just look in the rearview mirror. Because when it comes to economic policies, John McCain has been right next to George Bush.”

John McCain is throwing a little muscle into his campaign today, literally. He holds a rally in Ohio with former Terminator, Arnold Schwarzneggar. Going to Columbus, Ohio the Friday before the presidential election to appear with the GOP candidate is a Schwarzenegger tradition, going back 20 years. It is usually one of the rare appearances he makes out of CA for the candidates.

Maybe he’ll bring McCain some luck in this must-win state. Yesterday, McCain told crowds: "I can feel momentum in this room tonight. We're going to win. We're going to win Ohio" and went on to say "I can feel it, I can feel it. My friends I can feel it." We'll find out if his feeling is right on!

Sarah Palin spends the day in Pennsylvania, and Joe Biden is back in Delaware today, but then shows up in Ohio and Indiana later. We’ll be hearing plenty from these veep prospects as well, and also entering the fray will be Al and Tipper Gore as they stump for Obama in Florida and urge early voting.

Pretty ironic that Al Gore campaigns in Florida for his Democractic candidate, think the state brings back memories for him? (All together now: say "Recount"- let’s hope there is none of that this time around!). Candy Crowley and Ed Henry will follow the candidates for you tonight, and John King can’t wait to do his tricks on the Magic Wall.

Last but not least, Randi Kaye explores thoughts/feelings in the African-American community with just 4 days to go until the nation could elect its first African-American president in history. If McCain doesn’t prove to be the Comeback Kid, that is. It's not over till it's over.

See you tonight folks! Have a spooky Halloween. Maybe we'll convince Anderson to wear his own Joe the Plumber costume while anchoring tonight. NOT.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Barb, Des Plaines

Hi Penny,
    I think McCain might really be feeling a blast of his own hot air. His campaign has been a complete mess. He's thrown so many lies at Obama lately if any real controversies arise now, it would all be drown out by that ridiculous plumber. Does McCain understand that the plumber would be helped by Obama's tax plan? Where's an intelligent discussion of the issues? What was McCain thinking?

Did you catch the The New Yorker article on how McCain was forced to pick Palin by the Republican elite? That's nuts. With all this clowning around he's looking more like a jester than a real leader.

October 31, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  2. James Piazza

I was wondering How and Why oil and gas prices go down before a national election . thay went down before Kerry Bush election .Bush got elected then thay went up day after. who has that power to lower prices .Mark my words oil and Gas prices will start rising NOW...

October 31, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  3. penny

"Would someone tell mccain he is too old to be a president. Furthermore, he does not have the class nor charisma for the global world leaders. He doesnot even have the intellect to be the president of a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. He could also tell the American biggotts to go live on MARS since they don't like the American melting pot of all races.
    Someone needs to tell John mccain Halloween will be over tonight. Then he can stop scaring TV viewers and Stop being the TV DRACULA"

October 31, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  4. John

I was out in Manhattan with my die hard liberal friends last night. I can tell you for sure that the last thing they are is confident that Obama will win. They looked really nervous. So does Obama for that matter. Is there something we are not hearing? Will Anderson do an investigative report on Obama's Aunt from the Boston slums? I wonder which way she's voting.

October 31, 2008 at 12:30 pm |
  5. jim

i guess Joe the plumber got his 15 minutes of fame and all the democrats digging into his background. All this because he exposed Obama. I still can't see how anybody would vote for Obama with his connections to corrupt cronies. He is doing a good song and dance convincing voters these are respectable persons. He hasn't convinced me. He will be another Jimmy Carter if he wins the election+

October 31, 2008 at 12:19 pm |
  6. chuck

There is only one momentum going right and that's the Democrats taking back their Beloved country from the foolish Republicans.Oh! the last time I checked John McCain was still a supporter of George Bush and the War in IRAQ that has taken so many INNOCENT LIVES and left so many disabled for life. Enough SAID.

October 31, 2008 at 11:55 am |
  7. Michael, NC

I would dress as the single best looking anchor, Anderson, but somehow I think a sleek business suit and steel gray hair would be a little vague ("geeze, who dresses as an old geezer for halloween"). It would be said.

October 31, 2008 at 11:46 am |
  8. Michelle

I am counting the days to vote. I read an article
    today on something called the bandwagon effect.
    The article stated that this happens when people
    go with the person they think will win the election.
    So I will be looking for this on election night.

October 31, 2008 at 11:35 am |
  9. carmen

Enough of Joe (not) the Plumber. How about Anderson in a Sarah Palin cosignment suit ? LOL Look forward to the program! Better when it's two hours. Will have withdrawl symptons after the election.

October 31, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  10. Vegas

I think many large companies can feel it... the mass lay offs have already started to be 120 days ahead of Barack's tax plan... to avoid the un-employment tax increase and payroll taxes. 7000 let go from American Express just yesterday... and more companies will soon fall in line.

Change is coming... and it aint good!

October 31, 2008 at 11:15 am |
  11. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Happy Pumpkin Day to all. Four more days of campaign concussions..I'll be glad when it's over.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

October 31, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  12. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

Yes, Penny, I know that CNN "featured" McCain for a FREE hour on Larry King, while denying Sen. Obama air time. And then CNN RE-ran the Larry King show at 10pm, for yet another FREE hour for McCain.

Its sad to see CNN a network that has been our campaign-go-to-network for years, going over to the far-right.

The Republicans already 'own' Faux News......... now CNN. Sad.

October 31, 2008 at 10:54 am |
  13. Jay in Ga.

John is gaining the big mo.

October 31, 2008 at 10:35 am |
  14. Susan

p.s. Oh and Joe the Plumber should go as Mr. Clean for he has the bald head and the same line of work!

October 31, 2008 at 10:31 am |
  15. Susan

If the candidates were to were costumes, here is what I think they should go as for Halloween today:

McCain should go as the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland for when he smiles while doing his smirking laugh that is what he creeps me out looking like.

Palin should go as Tina Fey doing Palin since Palin herself is a characterization of extremes.

Obama should go as Will Smith since he looks like him and Will always plays characters that save the world, and that is what we need for the next 4 years – someone to save this country and the world.

Biden should go as Lee Marvin the drunk cowboy from 1970s movie Cat Balou since the way he gaffs and says ridiculous things it is fitting and he has the white hair.

Anderson Cooper should go as himself because he is so handsome, I wouldn't want him to change even for Halloween!

October 31, 2008 at 10:30 am |
  16. Farrah the Canadian

I'm going out as a pirate for Halloween, and I'm Somali by birth...a little tongue in cheek for all of you who follow the news. Happy Halloween everybody!!!!!!

October 31, 2008 at 10:29 am |
  17. Farrah the Canadian

...I still can't get over the fact that 25% of Texans believe Obama is a Muslim! Can you guess which state will benefit the most from Senator Obama's Education plan?

Btw, since when did it become socially agreed upon that being associated with Islam equals political suicide( no pun intended)? Even if Obama were a Muslim,so what?!

Muslims are your neighbors, teachers, doctors, students...your fellow Americans! There are over six million Muslims in the U.S. Over a billion world wide. Can you imagine what would happen if ALL Muslims were terrorists? Stop the "Islamaphobia" people!

October 31, 2008 at 10:19 am |
  18. anne,newfoundland,canada

Penny:

as for Anderson wearing a costume this evening?

Aint gonna happen,IMO.

October 31, 2008 at 9:51 am |
  19. anne,newfoundland,canada

What is WITH this Joe the Plumber?

Can someone please make him go away?

He is not really Joe,he is not an official plumber,is not too fussy about paying his OWN taxes,it seems.....

so what IS true about him?

OH,and now he wants a music deal??
    (Put me in line when THAT CD hits stores.....sarcastic moment,sorry).

Well,it seems as if,everywhere he goes ,they DO treat him like a rock star.....

but ....ah.....WHY???

His fifteen minutes were up 15 days ago.......

What is next for this guy.......a book,a tv show,OPRAH?

Good thing the American public does not have a drinking game going on with every mention of either "Joe the Plumber","maverick",or "my friends"........

Tuesday night should be an interesting one,to see what happens with our neighbors.

October 31, 2008 at 9:49 am |
  20. ross berg-buffalo ny

I find myself feeling truly sad for Sen. McCain. It will be a first for me since I started voting in 1960 to be voting for a Democrat.

I just can't get past the fear of finding Sara Palin in the Oval office!!

Sure hope we unite after the election and work together in addressing our nations problems!!

October 31, 2008 at 9:45 am |
  21. gaston jones

Ten Heroes...not one Medal of Honor recipient...shows where focus is.very sad..very very sad

October 31, 2008 at 8:50 am |