October 31st, 2008

Erica Hill: Wore my dress and bonnet even when it wasn't Halloween

Editor's Note: Happy Halloween! We asked some of our favorite CNN personalities to share with us their Halloween memories. We asked them a few 'Trick or Treat' questions.... here's what they had to say:

Erica Hill | BIO
AC360° Correspondent

Favorite Halloween costume as a kid?

My Laura Ingalls costume definitely got the most play! I LOVED "Little House on the Prairie" as a kid, and wore my dress and bonnet even when it wasn't Halloween. I had some fabulous early 80's clogs to round out the ensemble. I did like the costumes my husband and I wore last year – Richie and Margot Tenenbaum. Classic.

Favorite scary movie?

No scary movies for this girl! I am the biggest wuss you'll ever meet. When I was younger, I did like "Poltergeist" and remember watching "Tales from the Crypt" with our babysitter, but you'd never catch me watching them now.

Best Halloween memory?

My best Halloween memory was last year, my son's first Halloween. He was a "L'il Stinker" (skunk) and far too cute for his own good. He was almost walking on his own, so we took him around to the neighbors, stopped in for a glass of wine, and made more than one person smile.

Worst Halloween memory?

Wearing turtlenecks under my costume or a jacket over it – ugh! I'm sure plenty of you had a similar experience. It would be GORGEOUS in the days leading up to Halloween and then – BAM! – in comes the cold and it's buh-bye snappy costume, hello dork factor. This was especially challenging the year a bunch of us were flappers... or maybe we were saloon girls. I think it was open to interpretation.

What was your favorite Halloween candy?

Chocolate! Especially if it was a full-sized candy bar, though those were tough to come by. I still love Snickers, Butterfingers, and Twizzlers.

Filed under: Erica Hill • Halloween
  1. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Hellooo Erica!!
    Happy Holloween!! I remember I was clown, I did treat or trick........ that I remember long time ago.... Yes, I do love that show “Little House on the Prairie" That is my favorite show..... My favorite are right now many candies, here are M&Ms, Reese, Butterfingers, Snickers, Baby Ruth, Musketeers and Mounds......... that was worst memory.... it was so cold outside when I was walking with my brother.. I wore monster mask...... I could remember that time.....I will see you soon tonight on Live Blog..... I can't wait see you and Anderson in the program!! LOL!!
    See you there!

October 31, 2008 at 7:16 pm |
  2. Eugenia-San Francisco, Ca

Is that CNN pumpkin real?

October 31, 2008 at 6:56 pm |
  3. Eugenia-San Francisco, Ca

Happy Halloween Miss Erica!

October 31, 2008 at 6:55 pm |
  4. Genevieve M, TX

Do you dress your dog up for Halloween? This year I dressed up my rottie as a bee. She loves to look at the costumes and sniff goodie bags while I pass out the candy!

I loved the Little House series so I much, I have the entire DVD set. lol!

October 31, 2008 at 6:46 pm |
  5. Annie Kate

Hey Erica

My youngest brothers dressed up like skunks one year – they were about 3 years old at the time and they were so adorable. They were spoiled too – by us older kids. We took them everywhere that Halloween night so they would get a lot of candy. By the time we were done, it was midnight, my mom was more than irritated with us for being out so late, and the boys were having to drag their pumpkins behind them because they were so loaded with candy they couldn't pick them up. I still can hear the youngest brother say – Gee I've got enough candy for my WHOLE life!!

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

October 31, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  6. Elaine C, Philadelphia, PA

I am old enough to remember everyone giving out the full size candy bars. My bag would get so heavy that my older brother and sisters would have to help me carry it because if I went home, then the rest of them would have to also. We'd dump our bags in the middle of the living room floor and trade candy the rest of the evening. I always traded hard candy for Reese's cups. Still my favorite today.

October 31, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  7. Tammy, Berwick. LA

At one point, I think I had the whole Little House book series memorized. Don't even get me started on being in love with the show.

I think the fondest Halloween memories were trick-or-treating with my cousins down our street and in the neighborhood. After, I'd go with my parents to my grandparents, great-aunts and great-uncles, and I'd load up even more. We had special treats like popcorn balls or cupcakes or whatever they wanted to make for us that year. It was always tons of family and tons of fun.

I always had a costume. I hated them. Still do. I just don't think we have to be anything but ourselves. My favorite outfit is my "This is my costume" t-shirt and jeans. Wore it again this year for the holiday.

Cheers. Had a German chocolate cupcake today at work. I'm good for the rest of the holiday now.

October 31, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  8. D. A. Reuter, Bremerton, WA

When I was nine, I went as Phyllis Diller. I wore a aquamarine feathered cap and I had a drinking straw with a candied cigarrette (sp) at the end.

My favorite horror movies were anything that came out of Hammer's House of Horrors (eg, Dracula films with Christopher Lee)

October 31, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  9. dean

John McCain's new commercial confirms Barack Obama's ability to reach across the aisle. Barack praising both McCain, and Lieberman for their Global Warming stance. Confirms he is willing to work across party lines.

October 31, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  10. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Happy Halloween Erica!

Oh, shut up! I LOVE "The Royal Tenebaums"! What a fab idea. Girl, you rock! That is one of my all time fav movies and I must admit I never even thought of that. I may have to gank your idea for next year, if you are ok with that.

What no "REDRUM"? Aw, come on, you gotta love some freaky Nicholson. Give Jack a chance.

You and Tom and I are dating ourselves. I too remember when it was a huge deal to get an entire candy bar. Snickers is my fav too, but the ultimate was a whole candy apple. Yes, there again, dating myself.

There was a couple in my neighborhood who owned a candy company and they gave out those awesome home-made red crunchy candy apples. Yep, the kind that pull your fillings out. By my ,oh my, were they delciousioso! (And yes, those were the days before all the scares about apples on Halloween; plus we knew the people.)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Bet you were cute in your Laura Engalls get-up, I also bet that Anderson will mention this on the air and embarrass you,. You had better check his office.....I would bet that he is on the phone right now working on getting a photo ot it! Sneaky little guy!

October 31, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  11. Cindy

Erica,
    HMM..Little House on the Prarie...I can see you as that. LOL Hey...we wore our costumes too long after they were supposed to be done with. We would play dress up. But we would be outside in them riding bikes, jumping on the trampoline and such so they never lasted for too long. LOL

And I am SO with ya on the chocolate thing. Just give me a huge Hershey's bar, M&M's, or some Hershey's Kisses and I'm good to go!

Cindy..Ga.

October 31, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  12. Heather,ca

Hello Erica,

I think of Halloween and I think of how so very lucky I was growing up. My mother would ask me every year what I wanted to be for Halloween . She would take me to a fabric store and find just the right costume. She buy all the materials and have this nice lady make it. One year I wanted to a Christmas tree(even though I'm Jewish). Well I was the only Christmas tree. It was the best. I loved that day. My parents who always worried about my safety(total control freaks. I thank them every day) let me go to maybe four houses of people they knew then we would go to the mall. Knowing that every store had candy, I always had more than enough. We would end it going to dinner at a restaurant where everyday is Halloween. I was lucky and I know it. I think my favorite costume is the one I wore in the first grade. My mom picked it out herself and she went to various thrift stores for it. I was a ,ready for this...French Prostitute. I had no idea what that meant and didnt ask and I looked very french. Worst Halloween by far was when our driveway was being redone and it was all pieces of concrete and rain and mud. So no trick and no treat. Followed by moving to a new house where all the kids know that your community being gated means primo candy. So going to the store isnt enough. You have to spend a small fortune at Costco on candy and hope thats enough. Or turn out all the lights and pretend no one is home even though they keep banging on your door. Thats always nice. Nothing beats chocolate.

October 31, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  13. Lilibeth

Hi Erica, Happy Halloween! My favorite Halloween movie is "Halloween" with Jaime Lee Curtis. As I get older, I see fewer and fewer scary movies. They don't appeal to me anymore.

So are you guys dressing up tonight as your favorite CNN analyst? I can just see all of you try to dress up as David Gergen. 'Cuz he is my favorite!

See you later,

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

October 31, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  14. JC-Los Angeles

Erica, I believe this is your second reference to "Half Pint" within the last month; takes us back to simpler times.

Props also for referencing the ubiquitous fall turtleneck; it was one thing for our parents to paint our rooms with lead paint but an entirely different matter to adorn us in turtlenecks.

Digged Poltergiest but have to say Halloween with Jamie Lee is a tough one to beat.

Keep up the great work and enjoy the night.

October 31, 2008 at 4:30 pm |