October 30th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/30/08

AC360° is live again for two hours tonight.

Just like last night, we'll be posting your comments from 10pm ET to Midnight ET.

Tonight on 360°, the battle for votes. We'll take you live to the Obama rally at the Univerity of Missouri-Columbia. And, is John McCain closing the gap in the polls? All that and more, tonight on 360°.

We want you to be part of the program. Share your thoughts below.

But remember our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Use your real name (Mickey Mouse won't work here)
2) Keep it short
3) Stay on topic (we don't want to know about your Halloween plans just yeet)

Erica has the night off so our floor crew is handling the webcast during the commericals. Don't miss the fun. LINK TO WEBCAST.

And get a look at what's going on in the 360° studio.
via the live web camera LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I adore Gary, he is the best!!

October 30, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  2. Neville, Miami, Fl

I have heard John Mc Cain say hundred of times "I' have been tested,"and no one has asked him when and where he has been tested. I don't wantr to believe he is using his prisoner of war detention as the test he is refering to. OUT SIDE OF THAT WILL SOMEONE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME? LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING YOUR COMMENTS. MEANWHILE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORKS.

October 30, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  3. Patty

Obama has the money because the masses (like me) support his campaign for change ....we need smarter and more efficient government and are willing to sacrifice for it, even with small donations.

I think its atill called 'putting our money where your mouth is.'

October 30, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  4. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Jolene, I agree. The winner is in for a very serious job. I wish him well, he'll be up against so much.

October 30, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  5. Minou, New York City

well, polls might be unreliable, but they're all we've got! what would we obsess about if we didn't have polls?

October 30, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  6. EJ (USA)

What did John King say about Alaska, Tammy? I missed it? : )

October 30, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  7. Kim,Illinois

John King,
    What's going on with the Alaska vote. Who's ahead there? Wouldn't it be cool that Obama becomes president, and wins in both Alaska and Arizona
    Thx,
    Kim

October 30, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  8. Robert Etchell Cleveland Oh.

I thought the "mission" was "accomplished". And to call it surrender is simply ridiculous. We should be fighting one war anyway. Every man and woman fighting in Iraq should be in Afghanistan fighting the real enemy. regime change is needed alright, it's needed right here.

October 30, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  9. Sophie MN

I actually prefer prediction markets to polls, but I know that's kind of out of the norm.

October 30, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  10. Tiffany,Medina,Ohio

Caren, i don't believe the polls.

October 30, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  11. Martie

Candy's comments are interesting in that the Obama campaign is still canvassing for donations saying that McCain plus the RNC is now ahead of Obama plus the DNC by about $20MM .

October 30, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  12. Jaime Mesa, AZ

Hey Candy,
    That's what I call the "X" factor! All us women! 😉

October 30, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  13. Lissa

Ingrid – you and me both! CNN is my fix from morning to night!

October 30, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  14. Curtis

@Chris from STL, Palin isn't lying, she just doesn't know any better (and she's making a fool of herself).

October 30, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  15. Vicki Spencer

May: Would you rather have a war monger in office?

October 30, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  16. Tammy (Alaska)

Anderson, While I have issues with Palin (and Biden) myself, Would you please tell John King that his rude comments about Alaskans in general are not appreciated . Really starting to question the integrity of your show.

October 30, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  17. Renee

@ John King: How much has the Obama camp and the McCain camp spent on polling? Can you tell us tommorrow. Just curious.

October 30, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  18. Brandi-bottom of the boot

bottom line is that no one knows who someone is going to vote for until they actually cast the vote. i think mccain could have run a much better campaign and not had so much difficulty with this.

October 30, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Joyce Grissom
    Welcome to Live Blog tonight!!!

October 30, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  20. WANDA SMITH NOVA SCOTIA CANADA

obama is a great man . god bless him and hope people dont get fooled by mccain and palin rich get rich poor get poorer

October 30, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  21. Curtis

John King is going to be THE center of attention on Tuesday with the magic board! Drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest before Tuesday, John!

October 30, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  22. Tiffany,Medina,Ohio

People who are serving and have loved ones over there believe it can be won.

October 30, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  23. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Polls are not votes. I think Obama will win, but in the future I wish polls would be used less on the nightly news and let the voters hear the issues more.

October 30, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  24. EJ (USA)

Don’t worry David! We wouldn’t miss Tuesday’s election night coverage on CNN!

What if there were some sort of power outage? I would CRY!

October 30, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  25. Crowe

How embarassing.....I was waiting for Sarah to start yelling "kill the ref" I can just imagine that shrill voice echoing through her local arena which by the way caused a 20 million deficit in a town of 5000.....Hockey Mom's RULE.....but not the free world....

October 30, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  26. Sara

Can someone please ask Obama how he plans to pay for all the great things he's offering? He has been vague about this and the MSM is giving him a free pass....good job, guys.

October 30, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  27. thomas- pennsylvania

i am from a small coal town in pa and barack obahma has my vote. i dont want another 8 years of what we are in right know

October 30, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  28. Brandi-bottom of the boot

i know some die hard republicans having a hard time with mccain as their candidate. they are seriously looking at obama. they just really dont want to admit it. 🙂

October 30, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  29. Leslie Ellis

Hi Anderson
    I only wish I had been this excited about our recent election campaign...This Canadian is looking forward to your election coverage on Nov 4th, and praying for an Obama presidency!

October 30, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  30. Mary

Being a citizen of Pennsylvania, I was able to take some time to witness the Palin event in real time. The discussion following the rally was incredible. Long time Republicans with tears in their eyes sharing that they just will not be able to vote the Republican ticket this year because of the VP pick and the age of McCain.
    It was a sad day for Erie Republicans indeed.

October 30, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  31. Candace from Canada

David Gergen – Thanks for your great insight!

Much appreciated! 😉

October 30, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  32. Caren in Boston

’d love to see a show of hands of who here actually believes polls. I was campaigning for Obama in New Hampshire recently and John Kerry was there. Him, along with everyone else warned us not to believe polls because it could all really come down to 7000 votes, which is what happened in 2000. Gore lost NH by just that few votes.

October 30, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  33. Minou, New York City

hey, I like "Gergermeister"! good one..

October 30, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  34. Danny from Texas

Great team, thanks for staying late tonight.

October 30, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  35. Vicki Spencer

Hello David Gergen. I enjoy hearing you speak on CNN. Like Obama, you think before you speak.

October 30, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  36. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

IMO, neither candidate has a handle on how to solve our economic crisis. It's way too complicated and integrated. I'm sure whoever wins will have their share of bloopers trying to solve it.

October 30, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  37. Kayla Kuni

According to Sarah Palin the war is almost won. What is she talking about? That Mission was Accomplished ages ago. But, seriously, the concept that getting out of a war as soon as possible because we can no longer afford it makes economic sense. I don't see us leaving as a retreat; I see us moving out of an apartment that we can no longer afford the rent on.

October 30, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  38. Jacqueline, NY

Got it! Gergen Eau de Cologne! That's what we'll call the new David Gergen Fragrance.

October 30, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  39. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

Thanks Gergy:)You must be sleepy from staying up so late:):)
    Anderson, I think I saw you yawn!!!
    I am a CNN addict for which there is no cure!
    First news in the AM and before I head off to sleep!

October 30, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  40. Lissa

Liz – I agree with the "ugh"...and those tactics are why they fell so far down in the polls. Remember the dial test for the debates? People are turned off by negativity but that's all the McCain/Palin speeches use!

October 30, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  41. Adam Duguay

Has anyone asked Joe the Plumber if he even knows the difference between Obama's and McCains tax plan? He'll benifit from the Obama plan!!! I can't believe this guy is still talking. This says allot about the state of the McCain party right now.

October 30, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  42. Caren in Boston

David Gergen, what WILL happen to you and John King and the rest of the political team after Nov 4th? Do ya'll just disappear? I hope not!!!

October 30, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  43. Vince Southlake Texas

Mr Gergen, When John McCain says "We've got em rite where we want em" is he essentially saying the fundamentals of his campaign are good?

October 30, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  44. Mikey

Did Sarah Palin really just attack the democrats for cutting government spending??? Isn't cutting government the main platform of the GOP?! Wow... this lady surprises me more and more each day...

October 30, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  45. Jaime Mesa, AZ

Great show tonight! It seems so impromtu tonght....in a good way!

October 30, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  46. Monica Chapman - Milford, CT

Don't worry David! We wouldn't miss Tuesday's election night coverage on CNN!

October 30, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  47. Lissa

Thanks, David! I marvel at your ability to explain this stuff as clearly as you do. CNN`s where I`ll be!

October 30, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  48. Gisselle - Houston, Texas

I am so waiting for the election day and CNN's coverage of it! Can't wait!

October 30, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  49. Jaime Mesa, AZ

I am confused about the error in all these polls. Is the error that big that the polls can all be wrong and McCain win? How can the "Poll of Polls" not have an error and be wrong about Obama winning?

October 30, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  50. Dee, atlanta, ga

is it me or do i see mostly yonger kids behind Palin?

October 30, 2008 at 11:37 pm |