October 30th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/30/08

AC360° is live again for two hours tonight.

Just like last night, we'll be posting your comments from 10pm ET to Midnight ET.

Tonight on 360°, the battle for votes. We'll take you live to the Obama rally at the Univerity of Missouri-Columbia. And, is John McCain closing the gap in the polls? All that and more, tonight on 360°.

We want you to be part of the program. Share your thoughts below.

But remember our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Use your real name (Mickey Mouse won't work here)
2) Keep it short
3) Stay on topic (we don't want to know about your Halloween plans just yeet)

Erica has the night off so our floor crew is handling the webcast during the commericals. Don't miss the fun. LINK TO WEBCAST.

And get a look at what's going on in the 360° studio.
via the live web camera LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Chris from STL

How can she blatently LIE with such a straight face ...

October 30, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  2. Clyde

Is Palin kidding? "Wars that are almost won?" She's clueless...

October 30, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  3. Linda

The children behind Palin look bored out of their minds! Busy calling their friends.

October 30, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  4. Liz

Same old scare tactics from Mrs. Palin as has been coming out of the McCain/Palin camp for the past month. Ugh.

October 30, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  5. EJ (USA)

I could've sworn that McCain said that he was going to cut the defense budget and put a freeze on everything else.

October 30, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  6. Jacqueline, NY

No Lady Killer won't work. It sounds evil. How about the "Gergermiester?"

October 30, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  7. Andrea in Ohio

Oh Palin. Our troops can still be taken care of if they cut military spending. She obviously has no idea how much money is wasted in the United States Military. There are many ways they can save boatloads of money and still be full strength and have all the proper equipment.

October 30, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  8. Minou, New York City

McCain and Palin have one big thing in common: they both sound condescending all the time!

October 30, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  9. Dee Dee

I'm curious how can palin and mccain jst go on tv and exagerate and flat out lie jst to get the crowd goin is there a fact check about obama saying he wants to cut rations for the troops?

October 30, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  10. Clarence Albuquerque

Its hard to have much of sense of humor these days... it's getting down to end of the race.... and yet I can look at the candidates and still laugh... but with much trepidation.

October 30, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Vince, Southlake, Texas, That isn't exactly the way Bill Clinton told it.

October 30, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  12. Timothy in Virginia

Hey AC... can you touch on this taxing the people who make $250k. Maybe people would understand how businesses are taxed and how the taxes would affect them better. The people could really use a lesson on how taxes work for businesses. Maybe that would help the people understand just what Sen. Obama and Sen. McCain are really touching on. It seems a good way to end the bias talks.

October 30, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  13. rita

We just heard a great orator- but how is he going to realistically carry out his plans- not once has he given concrete proposals.
    I am surprised at how we are expected to make an important choice like our president based on no facts just promises. Redistribution of wealth- give me a break a lot of us could be wealthy if we had access to the millions being spent on this campaign.
    In such tough economic times we need an inspiring leader not an excellent orator

October 30, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  14. Joseph G, pa

I think that every president is tested in some fashion my fear is that if McCain is elected something may happen. Even one extended hospital visit would leave Palin to get tested and that worries me more than any test that could be put forth for Obama to handle.

October 30, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  15. Chris from STL

I see a lot of young kids around Palin ... I don't think they could vote!

October 30, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  16. Caren in Boston

It's refreshing to hear that people agree that Sarah Palin isn't ready yet for the job she wants to take on. However, these people still want to vote for McCain. My mom, like many of her friends in Georgia, is one of them. This worries me.

October 30, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  17. Gene New Castle Delaware

i'm seeing McCain right now on cnn and he keeps saying i have been
    tested what the hell is he talking about???? the way i see it if he took
    a test he failed badly by picking Palin what else will he fail at??????

October 30, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  18. Curtis

All I keep hearing from Palin and McCain is fear, fear, fear as a result of desperation. McCain is not Presidential and McCain is about one step above a PTA mom tyring to divide and conquer for her selfish benefit.

October 30, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  19. Joyce Grissom

Hi Anderson, I'm learning to blog . Hello bloggers out there. Marshall, Texas is in the house.

October 30, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  20. Jacqueline, NY

I guess now Gergen, you will have to come out with a cologne or something. Hmm... but what shall we call it. "Lady Killer?"

October 30, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  21. Renee

Watch out Anderson! John King has his own CNN commercials now on the majic board!

October 30, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  22. Jaime Mesa, AZ

Dee-yes it is admirable that McCain can keep up such a rigorous campaign. He is a true war hero. But, I would rather have a young, idealistic President. I think McCain ironically is looking backward and not forward by touting his personal history,not his plans for our country.

October 30, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  23. Maureen, Georgia

I'm new veto AC360, hello Anderson and Bloggers. I've enjoyed reading all your comments. I agree David Gergen should join the AC360 team permanently, I love his insiteful commentary. John McSame saying the same thing again, nothing new with details. I've already voted for Obama, Iam anxiously waiting for Nov 4th when we can have a president Obama.

October 30, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  24. David Gergen

Hello everyone - You folks are great.... One of you asked whether Obama has more roads to the WH than McCain.. yes, clearly, and that's why - even as some of the national polls tighten a bit - McCain has become such an underdog. He says he relishes coming from behind - and I admire that spirit - but he has his work cut out for him. On Tuesday night, watch closely as Virginia results come in early. If McCain wins there - especially with a convincing win - it could be a long night and McCain could pull off one of the biggest upsets in history.. But if Obama wins - especially with a convincing win - it suggests he may be heading toward a big national victory. Again, stay tuned - especially to CNN!

October 30, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  25. Patty

Campaigning looks exhausting in the extreme. I hope in a week or so
    both famalies get a good long rest in...they all deserve it.

October 30, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  26. Martie

John is great with the map and his insights, isn't he. I remember when he was a very young anchor in New Orleans – and I'm happy to say he's the same guy he was back then – both thoughtful and insightful.

October 30, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  27. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

The look on those people's faces behind McCain when he mentions 'Obama's' 750 billion dollar bailout are like 'wait, did he forget that HE suspended his campaign and voted YES as well'???
    Does he really think we are stupid?

October 30, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

That is so special day for next Tuesday night as the election day! I can't wait see CNN team get ready to go!

October 30, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  29. Rashid

I don't think that it will be a late night on Tuesday since most of the battleground states are in the East, we will know fairly early about the outcome. Once Penn, Florida and North Carolina are decided we will know who won. The only thing that will take time is how large the margin was. But I hope that nothing is declared until all the polls have closed across the country.

October 30, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  30. Renee

Thanks for showing McCain. If Obama has spent all this money campaigning, why isn't he far, far ahead. It's not over folks and I doubt we will know on election night.

October 30, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  31. Andrea in Ohio

I'm so sick of McCain insisting on victory in Iraq. There will never be vicotry in Iraq...Never. We need to find a safe and logical way to bring our military home. Then we can fix our own country.

October 30, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  32. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

John McCain wants to cut taxes, but we need jobs and stimulus NOW!! Tax cuts take a full cycle to give anyone who is working or middle class any direct financial benefit. This simply illustrates how out of touch McCain is with working and middle class Americans. We can't "bridge-the-financial-gap" with money from our seven houses and fat bank accounts. JOHN MCCAIN NEEDS A REALITY CHECK!

October 30, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  33. Lissa

McCain is tired...he is stumbling on words, and it`s hard to watch.

He was tested as a younger man. He was tested as a military man. He`s never been tested as a President and would be, if he were to pull this off.

October 30, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  34. EJ (USA)

That whole 'bears – paternity or criminal issue' joke of McCain's is getting tiresome. I don't think people have figured out – even after the 15th time – if he's trying to make a joke or not.

October 30, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  35. Dee, atlanta, ga

Give it to John Mccain at least. at his age, he is doing really well physically. the campaign stump is no easy playground. I hope his wife gives him a much needed massage..

October 30, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  36. Jermaine (NJ)

God Bless CNN for assembling a great political team. This is how News should be done.
    Keep up the great work.

October 30, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  37. Clarence Albuquerque

Why did McCain seem more compelling at the GOP convention.... there was a much different sentiment in his speech. then... I think he's lost whatever he had that night.

October 30, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  38. Candace from Canada

Remember the last election – no one really thought George Bush would be elected to a second term -and here he is.

As tight as the race is in Obama's favour – I am not going to count McCain out yet.

October 30, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  39. Belinda

If Obama losses next week the devastation will be huge. I went to a rally with my daughter and what I saw was amazing. I felt like we can really get this country out of the pit. What is amazing his impact is world wide. He has the respect of people in a big way. I feel sorry for Joe the plumber ...very sorry. He is being used and that is sad.

October 30, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  40. Lissa

It`s going to be electrifying at CNN on Tues night...just in that room, with all the incredible analysts and news people...what I wouldn`t give to sit in the studio just to partake of the energy!

October 30, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  41. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

It would be interesting what John King and David Gergen think Hillary Clinton needs to do if she is planning on running again in 2012.

October 30, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  42. Minou, New York City

Thanks for blogging, David Gergen.
    It's cool of you to appreciate our comments, and I agree about the "first class team" CNN has built!

October 30, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

May, I agree, Obama is frightening especially when you think about him dealing with foreign leaders. He isn't qualified and I doubt they will tolerate his Prima Donna attitude.

October 30, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  44. Deverson

David, Anderson and the rest of the CNN political team I love ya but can you tell Roland Martin he is to hyper. He comes of as a person who likes to argue. He is great and speak the truth but he need to calm down just a bit.

October 30, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  45. Chris from STL

Betty, .... Obama's plan costs about 2.8 trillion dollars over 10 yrs, whereas, McCain's trickle down program will cost over 4 trillions.

They both will have trouble supporting their wish lists ....

October 30, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  46. Jim Richmond from Arizona

McShame might indeed lose his home state. I live in Northern Arizona, among three large and mostly Democratic Native American Nations. Many have no phones, or only limited rural cellphones. Unless a blizzard hits election day (that has happened twice in my two decades here), these folks who literally cannot be polled, will cause McCain nightmares.

October 30, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  47. Sophie MN

I like David's analysis, that the attacks on Palin are really attacks on the process, it's not even a referendum on her as a person. She's actually very smart and has not been presented to good effect. However, it's clear that her understanding of national/international issues is woefully lacking for the scale here.

I've heard that senate theory floated. Especially with her saying how useless a senatorial record is it would be interesting to say the least.

October 30, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  48. Barbara in NC, 65 and white

I'll NEVER forgive her negativity and hate and fear. AND I WON'T FORGET.

October 30, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  49. Vince Southlake Texas

Jo Ann – Obama didn't ask everyone for advice because he didn't know what to do. He did it to solicit input from Knowledgable people so the best decision could be made. Something Bush didn't do and apparently McCain hasn't learned yet either.

October 30, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  50. Lissa

Conrad – polls can be flawed, skewed, and downright false, if the people polled aren`t being truthful.

Election night will be the test of those polls, and the only way to answer the "who will win" question...

October 30, 2008 at 11:19 pm |