October 30th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/30/08

AC360° is live again for two hours tonight.

Just like last night, we'll be posting your comments from 10pm ET to Midnight ET.

Tonight on 360°, the battle for votes. We'll take you live to the Obama rally at the Univerity of Missouri-Columbia. And, is John McCain closing the gap in the polls? All that and more, tonight on 360°.

We want you to be part of the program. Share your thoughts below.

But remember our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Use your real name (Mickey Mouse won't work here)
2) Keep it short
3) Stay on topic (we don't want to know about your Halloween plans just yeet)

Erica has the night off so our floor crew is handling the webcast during the commericals. Don't miss the fun. LINK TO WEBCAST.

And get a look at what's going on in the 360° studio.
via the live web camera LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Angie- Miami. Florida

David Gergen is awesome every night!

October 30, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  2. Jaime Mesa, AZ

Is it just me or is there truly an historic wave happening here? It looks like even David Gergan and John King can feel it. Obama is going to win and it will be a good thing. There is a feeling of history being made.

October 30, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  3. Lissa

Hey David – a personal appearance here, that makes it a perfect night. You have been the voice of calm and reason for as long as I`ve become involved in watching the political end of the news...I look forward to – and count on – your knowledge. You`re the best!

October 30, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  4. Martie

John's hit the nail on the head – everyone seems to have completely lost confidence in McCain's judgment.

October 30, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  5. Brandi-bottom of the boot

Excellent Mr. King! That is exactly how I felt when McCain announced Palin as his running mate. Bad judgment.

October 30, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

As I recall Bill Clinton called Obama plenty of things as well.

October 30, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  7. Minou, New York City

thanks, EJ.
    I'm not doing so well in the patience-department, but what can I do...

October 30, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  8. Laurence Ransom

Why has no mention been made by John King especially using his electronic map of the ?two states that can split their electoral votes among the two presidential candidates?

October 30, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  9. Conrad

Polls are wrong if you don't agree with them.

October 30, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Hellooo David Gergen!!
    Nice see you on blog tonight....... I agree with your comment..... you are so awesome tonight!!!!

October 30, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  11. Jaime Mesa, AZ

Candy, you are great. Iit was nice to see you giggle. I bet you all are tired. Keep up the good work.

October 30, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  12. Crowe

John King never shows us Alaska on his magic board what is happening up their....has anybody campaigned there lately

October 30, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  13. Jermaine (NJ)

David Gergen:

Does Barack have more options to 270 than John McCain? Can he lose Florida and Ohio and still win the White House?

October 30, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  14. may

Obama scares the living daylights out of me. He does not just want to CHANGE the United States, he wants to change the world according to his stump speech.

Those are his words

October 30, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  15. Jaime Mesa, AZ

Me too Carole, I LOVE David Gergan's comments. He can call McCain's campaign focus stupid so nicely and politely! Hey Anderson, there are lots of us getting Gergany. That was great Anderson having the comic send him an on air love-gram. Thanks, we probably never see him embarrassed like that again.

October 30, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  16. Chris - Garden City,MI

David Gergen you are the best political analyst in this country. Thank You, for being bipartisan.

October 30, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  17. Timothy in Virginia

It's not about a black or white or any other race President.... It's about a President that can effective get the JOB DONE and understands the issues at hand. Real issues of the Real ENTIRE America... not just Sen. McCains so called real and unreal America.

October 30, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  18. Brandi-bottom of the boot

Mr. Gergen, thank you. i have a question for you, are you still going to be a regular part of the show after the election? i hope so, i would hate to have to wait 4 more years for you to be back. lol

October 30, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  19. Minou, New York City

I've never seen anybody so comfortable speaking in front of a crowd as Bill Clinton. I bet he doesn't even need a teleprompter.

October 30, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  20. Betty Short

Just listened to Obama's speech on CNN. I do not understand where all the funds are coming from for all the programs he wants to implement.

October 30, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I wonder if Bill is going to repeat the story of Obama calling him and Hillary and everyone else for advice because he didn't know what to do?

October 30, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  22. Clarence Albuquerque

Bill sure draws the crowd in...shh just listen...

October 30, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  23. Sophie MN

I am dying to know what the polls are going to be like. We don't have early voting without a reason, so it could be very anti-climactic and Minnesota smooth and on time or it can be really nutty.

October 30, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  24. Sherif Aly

According to CNN's electoral map, Montana and North Dakota are leaning McCain, but if you look at CNN polling in those states Obama is up +2 in N. Dakota and within the margin of error in Montana, why aren't those two states toss-up?

October 30, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  25. Cortez

Yes tax those 250,000 wealthy people. They need no more tax breaks as 700 billion dollars was just given to their buisnesses, and we have been paying 4 dollars plus in gas. Its time to start reinvesting in america and not in Iraq where the middle class taxes are currently going.

October 30, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  26. EJ (USA)

Anderson: I can’t believe you asked Candy Crowley about Joe the Plumber’s schedule….you are too funny!

Candy seemed to enjoy the laugh!

October 30, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  27. Hamza Ahmed Vanthaliwala

you don’t have to boo, you just have to vote

this guy can speak and i really hope this guy steal the election 08

October 30, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  28. Bert in SC

CNN has the best election coverage by far. Sometimes it seems like they are favoring one side. However, given the literally awesome task of trying to balance the sides with all of the activity, they are all doing a fine job. My receiver will be set on CNN on election day for sure.

Let's hear it for Wolfe, Campbell, Larry, Anderson, Erica and all of the panelists good and not so good. You know who they are.

October 30, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I agree with you guys!!!! Anderson love to watch Obama tonight... of course.... indeed the history days!

October 30, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  30. EJ (USA)

When do we actually have the complete results of the election in?

I'd say we will know who won late Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, but that complete 100% results may be late Wednesday or Thursday.

October 30, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  31. Brian from Milwaukeee

John King is fantastic with that magic wall. I could use a magic wall in my living room. You do a terrific job of keeping track of this mess.

October 30, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  32. Martie

That's funny Candace – I've never thought of either Candy or David as politically correct – just correct with their political assessments!!!

October 30, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  33. David Gergen

Hello everyone - many thanks for your kind comments. In truth, Anderson and the folks here at CNN have built a first class team, and I am privileged to be a part of it. And one thing that has kept us all trying hard has been your excellent comments - some favorable, some critical, some asking good questions - and all keeping us on our toes.

I agree that these polls are difficult to interpret. One of you asked why CNN is showing the race at 7 points when it has talked earlier in the day about a 5 point difference. The difference is this: CNN does its own poll and that one has it at 7 points; CNN also puts together an average of public polls called a "poll of polls" and my understanding is that the Obama lead is 5 there - down 2 from yesterday (thus, the tightening).

For John McCain, the growing challenge is that the battleground states really are favoring Obama now, and while McCain has moved up in Florida and Ohio, some of the other states like Pa. seem to be moving the other way. (Among the tossup states, McCain looks especially strong to me in Missouri and Indiana - but that alone won't be enough). Stay tuned.

Five days!!!

October 30, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  34. Brandi-bottom of the boot

haha, no one liked mccain getting all the air time, and now they dont like obama getting it, which is it? lol

i guess you cant make everyone happy.

October 30, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  35. Susan T. in Indiana

Why don't all states offer early voting? Why should people have to stand in long lines to vote and only have one day to do it?

October 30, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  36. Vince Southlake Texas

Linda, I expect to hear a positive message from McCain – Just Once – next tuesday evenning when he concedes.

October 30, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  37. EJ (USA)

John King says "Ohio is a state obviously" lol It's not obvious to some people John.

October 30, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  38. Veronica

Where I live, I can't vote early.
    Watch on Tuesday I will be able to walk in and out!
    Noone will be there! :-}

October 30, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  39. EJ (USA)

What a gruelling schedule … amazing how well Sen. Obama is holding up after starting this campaign two years ago. He certainly has the stamina to work hard, which he will have to do if he becomes President of the United States.

I would have collapsed after 2 days.

October 30, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  40. thomas-pennsylvania

i just wanna know why if youre down in the polls. why would youre top advisers start ridicuoling about youre vice president selection is something i dont understand i think if i had an adviser it would be one that i would know would be for me and my campain

October 30, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  41. Marty

Win or lose, Obama has become his message; he is truly an agent of change! He is truly a gifted leader and would restore the image of this country.

October 30, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  42. Bradley S (Knoxville, TN)

I think John McCain does not provide any solutions in terms of the ecomomy except more of the same! Barack Obama does give detail great solutions and better tax cuts for the middle class than does McCain!
    Go Obama.Biden 2008

October 30, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  43. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Anderson: I can't believe you asked Candy Crowley about Joe the Plumber's schedule....you are too funny!

October 30, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  44. Maria Davis - Chula Vista, CA

I also like David Gergen very much but lets not forget Candy and Martin.

October 30, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  45. Steve - southern Illinois

I have read a lot of these comments tonight and am so grateful to see so many people saying such positive things to support an African American Presidential candidate. Before Obama it's been a long time since I thought things are going to get better in this country. I am so looking forward to October 4.

October 30, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  46. Ingrid from Northern Virginia

As much as I love Obama and am voting for him, I didn't vote for Bill Clinton, and even now, he's talking more about himself than Obama...
    We certainly had better economic times but Clinton was not a man I admire like I do Obama...

October 30, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  47. EqualBranchesofGovernment

"You're all Joe the Plumber's"..........i don't think so......most people pay their taxes Senator McCain.

October 30, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  48. Minou, New York City

How can McCain's pple not make sure that Joe is in the crowd before he goes on??

October 30, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It was ridiculous to air that entire speech!

October 30, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  50. MaryBeth

Lissa: exactly..I didn't think right now though..I thought it would be Kerry for 8 years and then maybe Obama...but then Kerry lost..and I thought probably Hillary for 8 and then Obama.

October 30, 2008 at 11:03 pm |