October 30th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/30/08

AC360° is live again for two hours tonight.

Just like last night, we'll be posting your comments from 10pm ET to Midnight ET.

Tonight on 360°, the battle for votes. We'll take you live to the Obama rally at the Univerity of Missouri-Columbia. And, is John McCain closing the gap in the polls? All that and more, tonight on 360°.

We want you to be part of the program. Share your thoughts below.

But remember our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Use your real name (Mickey Mouse won't work here)
2) Keep it short
3) Stay on topic (we don't want to know about your Halloween plans just yeet)

Erica has the night off so our floor crew is handling the webcast during the commericals. Don't miss the fun. LINK TO WEBCAST.

And get a look at what's going on in the 360° studio.
via the live web camera LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lynn Houston

Why did you report that Obama still leads 7 points when on your ticker it has dropped to 5 points?

October 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Ruby Jones

I'm really tired of Joe the plumber.

October 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  3. christina

What country wouldnt want less taxes, a better economy and a promise that the government is finally going to step up and help a working mother provide for her family easier???? Barack Obama has my vote.

October 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Brandi

Anderson...honestly...don't you believe by this point Obama doesn't have any new material? He's got some good jabs, especially about the McCain commercials.

October 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  5. valoree

Joy I sure agree with your comment!

October 30, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Crowe

Gergie just hit it out of the park with his comment....McCain's feature of the day was Joe the plumber while 33 million people were mesmerizied by the exceptional Obama message to America......I know their are a lot of Americans who don't deserve Mr Obama but the rest of us on this planet can sure use him......vigilance is key... elect and protect this man ....maybe McCain can get a job with Joe unplugging toilets.

October 30, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson I am back.Sleepless night in Germany,so a good reason to watch your show!-Hornest-I like the way you do your show. Countdown for the election is running.May the best canditat win,who bring the best change for America and the wold.

October 30, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Cindi Abbott

I am so impressed by Obama's obvious intelligence and temperament.

October 30, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Catherine

Not a politically minded person as a rule, but I have to say, I enjoy listening to Obama... I can understand him. McCain on the otherhand reminds me of all the people I know that are always so mad about everything. Don't we have enough "mad" in the world. Calm would be a good change!

October 30, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Courtney, Fl

obama is so right. i always ask mccain supporters why i should vote for mccain and they give me reasons not to vote for obama.

October 30, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  11. sanja

It is sad that only mesagge Mccaine and Palin have is negatives about Obama. I always say that if in order to put yourself up you have to put somebody else down doesn't say much good about you.

October 30, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Jamie

I think it's about time we had a president that actually showed a true interest in the United States and the American people. You will have my vote Obama. Thanks for caring!

A True Healthcare Professional,

Jamie

October 30, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I dont' know what Obama stands for either. I don't even know who he really is.

October 30, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Patty

I loved Obamas line tonight to the Missouri crowd, when McCains name came up:

"you don't have to boo, you just have to vote"

hallaluah!

October 30, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  15. MaryBeth

I love how Obama always says "you don't need to boo...you need to vote." I like how he discourages them....while McCain/Palin don't do anything at all...

October 30, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  16. John

I have a question about the electoral map–what is the criteria for states being solid or leaning in either direction. Here in Minnesota, a new poll gives Obama a 19 point lead, and he has been in double digits for weeks. And yet, we're still shown as light blue "leaning." Can you explain? Thanks.

October 30, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  17. valoree

I live in the Dominican Republic and for the sake of the US International image I sure hope Obama wins! The whole thing about Joe the Plumber is sickning! I casted my absentee ballot and Hope all Americans go out and vote!

October 30, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Marqus Dorsey

As a John McCain supporter in 2000 I'm very disappointed in this campaign. The straight talk of 2000 has been drowned out by typical negative republican crap. McCain would have the political high ground on topics like campaign financing, but because all the silly terroist, redistributor, middle name mess, screaming foul about money just looks like envy.

Marq

October 30, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Susan T. in Indiana

I agree with Steve in Southern IL, McCains strategy is exactly what people are tired of. the majority of the rest of us don't act like that, nor do we want our children mimicking that kind of behaviour.

October 30, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  20. kim-chicago

How do these candidates do this? I am exhausted just watching them. When Obama says he won't let up for one second he's not kidding.

October 30, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I can't believe we may end up hearing this voice for four years!

October 30, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  22. Jane Toms

AC, we have seen this speech far too many time, please dont put us through this. Maybe you could have it streamed online so the diehard fans of Obama can watch it online.

October 30, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  23. Karen from NJ

how embarrasing was that of Joe to stand up McCain...Joe are you here? LOL! really sad

October 30, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Joy

As if McCain didn't insult our intelligence enough with the Palin pick...now he's trying to make Joe the unlicensed,nontaxpaying, plumber his campaign spokesman...Give me a break and a serious intelligent president like Obama.

October 30, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Angie- Miami. Florida

David Gergen is amazing
    Florida get up and vote!!!!!

October 30, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Chris - Garden City,MI

David Gergen,

Thank You for your service to this country. It is nice to watch television and see someone who gives real "straight talk". Thank You.

October 30, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Deverson

I agree David Gergen is the most Unbiased and Pragmatic commentator. I love Donna Brazile to. I think she is unbiased to. She has my vote for President in 2012

October 30, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Nearly two years ago? It feels like 20.

October 30, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  29. coco

The faces and races in the Obama rallies look so much like America. Contrast that with McCain rallies and we get a different look Unity in this country,

October 30, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Keith Powell

Cindy...I don't think he is. I think having Clinton there yesterday had a strong impact.

October 30, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Lauren FL

Don't you know the candidates are so tired! I know I am! come on Tuesday~ it will be a long night, thats for sure.

October 30, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  32. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

All of a sudden I feel like Obama is trying to sell me a car. I'm worn thin...

October 30, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Rhoda

David Gergen is right on about the two campaigns running in different leagues. Beyond the $, and the organization, its the fundamentals. No Drama Obama, with a clear and consistent message vs the ZigZag Express trying to find a daily course.

October 30, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Jamie

Is Joe the Plumber's back taxes being paid off by the McCain campaign in lew of his support?

October 30, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  35. JP

Yes, More David Gergen. Enough of people shouting at each other.

October 30, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Gordon

How much would the McCain campaign be paying Joe the Plumber to make campaign appearances for them?

October 30, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Robert Hernand

My therory that the Republicans says that the election is getting close is to cheer up the base and not to loose many Senate seats..all the polls demonstrate the contrary???any coments from your hosts?

Independent..

October 30, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Jane Toms

Begala, we see all these rallies on TV, internet, etc. This is the electronic era, thinking that one needs hundreds of surrogates out there holding rallies is kinda archaic. I think Clinton is campaigning for Obama for his own PR.

October 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  39. Resa

Since Joe isn't licensed, he works under a licensed plumber. After 15 years that makes you a plumber. I don't think it's illegal to go by your middle name.

October 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Jason from Denver

David Gergen is probably the most unbiased and pragmatic commentator I've ever had the privilege of watching.

October 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Steve - southern Illinois

Gergen is right about the stark difference in the two campaign strategies.

Obama: Offer inspiration & hope and only slightly negative ads pointing out McCain's close relationship to George Bush.

McCain's strategy: Pander to all the whack jobs who are buying into the internet rumors about Obama being a Muslim, Terrorist, Anti-Christ, etc… and pick one of these idiots to be the centerpiece of your campaign.

October 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  42. Tony

Good evening bloggers! Anderson i love ur show raw and unfiltered now thats news at its best.

Anderson, correct me if i am wrong a political junkie, that i am i have listen to John McCain over the campaigne trail saying a few nice things about Barack Obama but i have never heard McCain call Obama an American, Why is that ?

October 30, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Chris - Garden City,MI

CNN equals the best political coverage. Period.

October 30, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Candace from Canada

Another 2 hours tonight!

I couldn't think of any other way I would rather spend my evening than with the AC360 crew & bloggers!

🙂

October 30, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Jacqueline, NY

David, I absolutely love tall men.

October 30, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  46. Travis

I'm tired of the intensity and emotion and all of the mud-slinging. I'm 18 and I will be voting, and I don't want to hear about a radical professor, or the inevitable gaffes. Obama's given some specifics; McCain needs to do the same so I can be certain of my vote.

October 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Clarence Albuquerque

Will you really bring Obama to us in his entirety? I'm sure there will be cut aways for him but not for Clinton. Really, Obama says nothing new at this point.

October 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Lauren FL

Hi Anderson~ great show! The 'Gerg' and Begala are my personal favorites. The Republican party has just made a mess of this ticket. Everyone including Palin seem to be running amuck. I agree, this has really affected McCain's reputation. After the campaigner's have left, his job will be to regain his dignity.

October 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  49. jdoug

David grgen serious and thoughtful, Paul Begala is so FUNNY but knows alot. I respect that panel on different POV's

October 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Curtis

@Anderson...That "voter hotline" sounds like a crime tip hotline. It will be interesting to see who CNN gets into trouble.

October 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |