October 28th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Homestreeetch

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Hello! Can you believe it? We are 7 days away from our 2008 Election Day. I don’t know that we at CNN can contemplate what it’s like to walk in the door and not have all the campaign developments to monitor and report. What was life like before Barack Obama, Joe Biden, John McCain and Sarah Palin entered the fray?

Today our CNN poll of polls (a compilation of various polling out there compiled into one average that we use) shows that 51% of Americans prefer Obama, and 43% would vote for McCain. 6% are still unsure.

The candidates will battle it out in Pennsylvania and they start the day just 90 miles apart but you can bet they won’t be meeting up for lunch. John McCain teams up with Sarah Palin, this is the first time they are back on the trail together following reports of tensions between the Palin camp and McCain’s senior advisor group. How will they fare as a duet after 6 days apart?

Later in the day McCain heads south to North Carolina, a red state where Obama now holds a slight lead. McCain continues to hit Obama on taxes and warning that an Obama win means a liberal takeover in govt. His ad today called “Compare” underlines his point that Obama is ‘risky’ and he is “proven”.

Obama is trying to close the deal in Philly, a state where he holds a 10 point lead. He told crowds there yday “we cannot let up for day, or one minute or one second in the week’. His opponents say he is already measure the drapes at the WH but he insists that nothing can be taken for granted. Later in the day he moves south to Virginia to pick up there. He has a late rally tonight so in our newscast we’ll bump into it for you guys (every so often we get lucky with a late live event, yahoo). Of course, we'll feature the other candidates for you also as they speak earlier in the day.

Meanwhile his running mate Joe Biden takes a swing through Florida gunning for those 27 electoral votes. Candy Crowley, Ed Henry, and our political panel will report and analyze all of the above tonight!

Gary Tuchman is in Nevada today where officials say they expect more than half of registered voters to cast early. 30 states across the country have instituted this ‘early voting’ and in Las Vegas, you can go to your mall food court or JC Penney’s and choose the next President of the USA right after you buy a sandwich or new toaster. How about that? He’ll be live from one of these locations tonight and tell us who is coming out early and why.

I got an email from Gary very early this morning, he told me he ran into Sarah Palin's brother, John McCain's daughter, and the widow of Johnny Ramone all in the same calling center, trying to convince Nevada republicans to vote early. He insisted he wasn’t pulling my leg and really did run into them which would be a great part of his reporting- hmmmm I guess I’ll find out how gullible I am later tonight.

Asian and European markets bounced overnight (I guess what goes down must come up?) so maybe Wall Street will be in positive territory today. Let’s hope so as a poll we spotted this morning shows 9 out of 10 Americans say the economy is making them lose sleep, tossing and turning due to fear of paying bills, making mortgages etc. Eek. The stress of it all. We told Anderson the other day that we are counting on him to save the world and guide us through it all-at that point he ran back to his office and threw his cape on. Jes Kidding. Tune in at 10pet! See u then.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Jay-NY

With the election being over as the polls suggest and the Obama ticket taking over the White House, it is time to look ahead for the republican party. We need to realize that Governor Palin has raised some political eyebrows deeming her an asset for the GOPs in Washington. Alaska has nothing to offer her as far as poltical advances in concerned; however the latest GOP scandal of senator Stevens one can only wonder who is better suited to replace the fallen senator in Washington at this point?

Is timing everything or do I see some strategy taking place?

GO OBAMA!!!

October 28, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  2. Larry

Seems to me the "Change We Need" that Obama wants is in our pockets!

October 28, 2008 at 1:10 pm |
  3. Presley

Someone needs to call the 6% undecided and let them know there are no more debates, therefore no more Soledad, squiggly line controllers and no more TV time available.
    Please, 7 days and you don't know who is right for you?

I will be glued to the CNN Marathon Election Coverage.
    And what Toobin will be watching on his laptop.

Thanks Penny!

October 28, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  4. Dee Stevens

For AC360 tonight could you report on how many states have early voting. And have Drew Griffin follow the Acorn situation in Indiana. Thanks Anderson.

October 28, 2008 at 12:33 pm |
  5. Zoe E. Roberts

I think we all know that there is not much to be accomplished by either candidate that can rapidly change our problems that our politicians have been creating for so long now. We have been too complacent in our lives when it comes to knowing what our representatives in government are doing. So now I must go with my gut instinct on who I think will look at life and not react in haste and yet react with positive steps and who's heart will have the best interests of our nation and who can look at their fellow man with compassion and say yes I can help and I must help. My future I hope is in John Mc Cain's hands.

October 28, 2008 at 12:00 pm |
  6. Lisa

I can't wait for this election to be over also. The Obama/ Biden ticket definately has my support !! I hope people can get past all the issues of seeing a black man in the White House. I think it would be wonderful to see white and black America vote him in. He is a breath of fresh air!
    Lisa

October 28, 2008 at 11:46 am |
  7. Michelle,fonthill,ont, canada

Good Morning Penny
    I can't wait until all this election and poltical anme calling is over! The issues of Sarah Palin's lipstick wardrobe has taken all over the news itr's time to put it to rest. The polls and close call numbers that cruched make me nervous. It's not going to be another 8 yr Bush term again please!!! I also agree with Cindy I want 360 back to normal again real news stories .
    Thanks for the buzz
    Michelle D.

October 28, 2008 at 11:24 am |
  8. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Thanks Penny, I KNEW Anderson was a superhero!

October 28, 2008 at 11:22 am |
  9. Johnny from South Carolina

Hello Penny and fellow bloggers,

I am ready for a change in our goverment and a change in our country. I hope that in seven days from today we have an election that is fair and just. I also hope that as Texas stated. I hope that the white supremacist and the other hate groups realize that this maybe a opportunity to see this country grow. We have two fine canidates running for the highest office in America. And history will be made no matter who wins. However; as a Obama supporter I hope that he is the one that makes history.

October 28, 2008 at 11:17 am |
  10. Texas

Ms. Manis, Be careful what you wish for!!! When the Election is over... You'll have substantial news to report... . Good News, At Last!! America will start getting back on its feet...the job market will improve...world markets will improve... . BARAK OBAMA and JOE BIDEN will get right to work- Americans will be elated (Except for those Sick White Supremists who walk the land with Hatred in their souls)... you'll have your hands full covering this upcomimg Democratic White House. Anderson Cooper can in fact save the World, but he can take the next 8 years off, as BARAK OBAMA and JOE BIDEN will manage just fine.

October 28, 2008 at 9:04 am |
  11. Cindy

All I can say is THANK GOD this election is almost over. After two years of this nonsense I am so glad it is soon coming to an end! Hopefully after this we can actually get some real news back on 360 again!!

Cindy...Ga.

October 28, 2008 at 9:03 am |
  12. Michelle

I am counting the days. It will be interesting to
    see how many voters actually come to the polls.
    I am not sure how long I will be standing in line
    to vote but I am going 3 hours earlier than usual