October 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/28/08

Got a thought? We want to hear from you.  This is your chance to sound off during AC360°.  Share your feedback below.

But, you have to play by the rules. Yes, there are rules.

Keep in mind we get hundreds of comments each night. We post many of them. Others don't make the cut due to space and time limitations. Others are deleted because you're not following our guidelines. Here are some of them:

1) Use your real name.
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no "screaming" allowed)
3) No links to other web sites
4) Keep it short. (Sorry, we don't have room for an online book)
5) Stay on topic (make sure your comment applies to the blog posting)

On 360° tonight, a big rally on Wall Street. The Dow has its second best day ever. Is your 401K on the rebound? Plus, we're on the trail with just one week to go until the election. Senators McCain and Obama were both in Pennslyvania today, just 90 miles apart. We've got new poll numbers state-by-state. And, in our crime & punishment report, we'll have the latest on Jennifer Hudson's triple tragedy. Her nephew, mother and brother have all been found murdered in Chicago. Are investigators any closer to naming a suspect? Find out tonight on 360°.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wait.  One more guideline: There's a time limit.  We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.  Blog away. We want to hear from you!

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. ron berry

you're probably tired of it but , "joe the plumber".stick a fork in him, he's done.McCain is grasping at straws.

October 28, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Peg

What a hoot!! Who did the editing on the similarities between debates? Kudos to you!!!

October 28, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  3. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Ha ha ha ha. The Shot is hilarious. Duplicity to say the least. Night all!

October 28, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Shot of the day..McCain and Obama in stereo. I think I can recite both their lines by heart. Two years of a campaign..my ears are ringing with the echo...Night all

October 28, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Minou, New York City

That montage is brilliant!

October 28, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  6. David Gergen

Hello everyone - The excitement you are expressing tonight is hugely contagious. I can just feel it pulsing through the country as we begin the countdown. We are facing one of the toughest times in our country's history - but if we can convert all of this great enthusiasm and excitement into a national effort to renew and restore our greatness, we will look back upon these days with enormous pride. The effort doesn't stop with next week's election; that must become the beginning.

October 28, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Sandra Robertson

My heart goes out to Jennifer Hudson and family. This is a horrible heartwrenching tragedy; God Bless them.

October 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  8. toni

i am excited and nervous. i hope america knows that if mccain/palin can't get along now, they will surely have problems in office. not to mention the disfunctional champaign they have run.we need steady hand at the wheel, which is what obama has demonstraed over and over. obama08

October 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Kayli, KY

Becca in Louisville, you're absolutely right!

October 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Good night Anderson, Erica, best bloggers!!!!
    Have a great night!!! Sleep tight!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    Get ready to vote! take care...... 🙂

October 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Bradley S (Knoxville, TN)

I can't believe that election day is a week away!
    Go Obama.Biden 2008
    P.S. I have already voted for them!

October 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Tanya

Hi Anderson! This is my first time blogging and I'm not sure I'm doing it right...I'm addicted to CNN during this amazing election and while I'm very excited, I'm also anxious for it to be over. Not sure how much I can take! My husband encouraged me to send my comment tonight in hopes it might get posted...Basically I was just really surprised to see "Joe the Plumber" on the McCain campaign trail. If this isn't an indication of desperation, I don't know what is. So what's next, he takes Sarah Palin off the ticket and makes Joe his veep?

Thanks for all you do Anderson, you're awesome!
    Tanya
    Raleigh, NC

October 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

That Hudson story is so hard to hear about.

October 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Jana, Indiana

Who's car was the little boy found in?

October 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  15. Brenda Smith

My family is very excited, and we have all voted early here in Nebraska.

October 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Peg

David Gergen is amazing!! The rationality he brings to the discussion is always welcomed. At this time, it is important to have his thoughtful responses and comments. Thanks David!

October 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  17. Carl M Calcara

Yes, Roland – let's not forget about 2000 and 2004. Ohio and Florida owe the nation – deliver us please!

October 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Bob Allen

Question – I keep hearing about the magic of 270 electoral votes – what happens if neither candidate reaches 270 electoral votes.

October 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Maureen T

My heart goes out to Jennifer Hudson and her family. I will be saying another prayer for them tonight.

October 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Wanda Armstrong

What a horrible tragedy. To lose three beloved family members all at one time! Who has the heart to shoot anyone let alone a child, a baby several times. It is just horrible and an unthinkable act. I will pray for the Hudson family!

October 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Deb in IN

So sad...sympathies to the Hudson famliy

October 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Derrick

I voted absentee in Alabama. It was ridiculous. I was there for 20 mins while they verified my ID, prepared my ballot, notarized it, and sealed it in 3 (!!) envelopes. I was amazed. It's like someone intentionally wanted voting to be as hard as they could make it. Being in Alabama, I believe that is exactly why it takes so long.

October 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Mike Biasin (Wells Maine)

Erica I have 2 neighbors that won't vote. I tell them that as an american we have a responsibility to vote. They are elderly and don't see the value in it. As a Christian I am proud to be casting my ballot for McCain/Palin.
    God bless.

October 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Minou, New York City

I saw Jennifer Hudson at a screening a couple weeks ago. She truly is a bright light in the room. I hope this tragedy won't dim her light. My heart goes out to her.

October 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

What a terrible nightmare for Jennifer Hudson. It is just senseless and tragic.

October 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Lorna, NYC

Hi Erica!! I agree with your point too. 🙂

But actually I started "to complain" since I was 4 and attended my first rally. Not quite close to voting age, unfortunately.

I've been urging my friends to vote too, more specifically to vote for the candidate I support (Obama, just to clarify!). can't wait to hear what they actually do next Tuesday.

October 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Shane, Las Vegas

Erica, my guess would be there will be, at a minimum 40,000 – 50,000 people there to see them, should be awesome!!! Since Obama can't lose Flodida as a fathe ct of numbers that will make it even better

October 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Dave

Mr. Anderson Cooper, Thank you for making the point... "Joe the plumber is a symbol that happens to be a real person that keeps talking", that needed to be said. How are we supposed to take Joe the plumber seriously on foreign policy when we are not even sure if Senator McCain has it right. Senator Obama, I hope you can deliver because I'm voting for you next Tuesday.

October 28, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Thanks David G!
    I agree with you about Joe the plumber!!!! he have good point!

October 28, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  30. ashley - willis, tx

Text voting haha...I have T-Mobile and I can't participate in that type of stuff, I hate that I always try and it comes back grrr. I think I left that off my phone features or something, that might be your problem...

October 28, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  31. anderson cooper

Stephanie, blogging two nights in a row! congratulations.. and thanks

October 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Deirdre Rose

I'm very excited about the election for two reasons; Obama will be our President and we won't have to hear another word about Joe the Plummer!

October 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  33. Heather - Spokane, WA

I voted early with my absentee ballot.

October 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Jacqui Chan

I completely agree with Erica. Every citizen of age should use the privalidge and get out and vote! People have died for this right. If you do not want to support either candidate then I think it is a good idea to research the other smaller parties and pick one who agrees with your values or issues; though he/she will not win atleast it will send a message to Wahington that there are more qualified people than just the front runners of the 2 major parties.

October 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  35. CAROLYN JONES

to jennifer and julia huson and family, rely on scripture, let not your be trouble believe in god st john 15 chapter, your in our prayers, may god bless you all during this time of such great sorrow.

October 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  36. Monica - Milford, CT

If being able to vote at the mall gets more young people to the polls I'm all for it!

October 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  37. EJ (USA)

I don't know how to text either Anderson. It would just take me forever because those buttons are so small. Plus I don't have a cell phone so I guess that would make it hard to text.

October 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  38. Deb in IN

they are voting in the grocery stores here in IN it's great! We went to our court house...find out where it is for you and go vote early...beat the lines on Election Day.

October 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  39. Patty

Joe the Plumber who dosn't pay his taxes dosn't deserve to vote.

October 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  40. Loretta

Hey....I really dig that David Gergen gentleman....he rocks. Such a smart, calm, consistently clear-thinking man. Tell him thanks for me!

October 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  41. Elsa

in the past I voted on election day... but I knew that lines were going to b long... so I voted early

October 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  42. Dulcie - Denver

Yay for David Gergen saying "Cut this crap out..." I feel the same way. I voted for Obama on a mail-in ballot, but it's actually painful to watch and hear the stuff going on in the McCain campaign. It's hard to watch.

October 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  43. jdoug

WOW!!
    Did meagan McCain just say that early voting is NOT vital. UNBELIEVABLE. Every vote counts, early and on election day.

October 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  44. Wanda

My prayers go out to Jennifer and her family. She lost 90% of her immediate family instantly. So sad, so sad. According to news reports all of this killing over a car. A car? A car? A car?

October 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Stephanie,
    Welcome to Live Blog tonight!!!

October 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  46. Dino de Castro (Curacao, Dutch Caribbean)

The presidential Election is electrifying keep up the good work! I am so hooked on CNN. Especially AC360.
    David Gergen...you are the man !

October 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  47. Ayalew Dagodu

wish if there was early voting in minnesota

October 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  48. Candace from Canada

I agree with Erica!
    Everyone get out there and vote! It is an incredible privilege, and it should not be taken for granted.

Plus the freedom to compain feels darn good also!

October 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  49. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Thank heavens Gary Tuchman got a fun assignment.

October 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  50. Patty

I'm waiting for the election and anxious.

Lots of famalies I know are very divided between the candidates and
    its causing lots of strife.....

the holidays should be interesting!

October 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |