October 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/28/08

Got a thought? We want to hear from you.  This is your chance to sound off during AC360°.  Share your feedback below.

But, you have to play by the rules. Yes, there are rules.

Keep in mind we get hundreds of comments each night. We post many of them. Others don't make the cut due to space and time limitations. Others are deleted because you're not following our guidelines. Here are some of them:

1) Use your real name.
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no "screaming" allowed)
3) No links to other web sites
4) Keep it short. (Sorry, we don't have room for an online book)
5) Stay on topic (make sure your comment applies to the blog posting)

On 360° tonight, a big rally on Wall Street. The Dow has its second best day ever. Is your 401K on the rebound? Plus, we're on the trail with just one week to go until the election. Senators McCain and Obama were both in Pennslyvania today, just 90 miles apart. We've got new poll numbers state-by-state. And, in our crime & punishment report, we'll have the latest on Jennifer Hudson's triple tragedy. Her nephew, mother and brother have all been found murdered in Chicago. Are investigators any closer to naming a suspect? Find out tonight on 360°.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wait.  One more guideline: There's a time limit.  We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.  Blog away. We want to hear from you!

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Wow. Vote at the mall? Huh, that may be a good idea. If you make it easier and more accessable for people, they will vote. Makes sense to me. Half the people in my area don't even know where they are supposed to go to vote. Maybe this should be nationwiade? Ya think?

October 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Cory from Fort Dodge,Iowa

Lets all hope that the absentee ballots from our military are counted they are the voices that need to be heard the most.

October 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Stephanie

Hi Anderson,

I love your show! I am addicted to the election. My husband and I waited 3 1/2 hours to vote today. We are excited about the election, but a bit nervous about the results.

Go Obama!

Stephanie
    Atlanta, GA

October 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Shane, Las Vegas

Here in Nevada we have registered more than 500,000 more Democrats than Republicans this election, so we are definately going to go to Obama as a simple fact, Heck, Obama is even winning in Reno, which Bush won by 17 points in 2004

October 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  5. James from Georgia

How secure are the machines being used in Nevada?

October 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  6. Mary

Greetings All!
    I am soooo excited for election day and hope issues currenlty being discussed "broadley" actually turn into detailed plans of action. I am soooo tired of hearing what a candidate is going to do and hearing very little on how he is going to do it.

First time blogger...this is interesting!

October 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Dave - Ohio

I just saw the discussion of Joe the Plumber on the campaign trail. I think you all have missed the obvious – Sarah Palin is already planning for her run for President in 2012...her running mate - Joe the Plumber!!!

October 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  8. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Kudos to Nevada for being creative and convenient–we should do everything possible to get people to vote!

October 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Wanda Armstrong

I wish we had early voting here in NJ. I am excited to see that many Americans are voting early. I can't wait until Election night!

October 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  10. Brandon Ketcham

I am nervous actually. I hope that the election doesn't get screwed up because the McCain campain will try to steer voters with lies.

October 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  11. Courtney

I think it is so curious how tons of people are asking you to give no more thought to "joe the plumber" but yet everyone is tallking about him. Isn't that the whole point??

October 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Sue, Montreal

Hi Bloggers,
    It is very exciting and I wish I could vote. I've never been so interested in politics as I am today. This might be history in the making. You are so right Erica. It is important to make yourself heard. In Canada, 58% of the population voted which is very sad. So America, don't forget Vote, Vote, Vote.

October 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  13. Becca, Louisville, KY

My question is, how can people still be undecided? Are they just going down to the wire, judging candidates by however they screw up in the next seven days? And if so, is that a responsible way to vote?

October 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  14. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Thanks David Gergen, you took the words right out of my mouth. I sometimes think the new media much rather "incite" the viewers than "excite" them with talk of clothes, anon remarks, and Joe the Plumber soundbites.

October 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  15. Jermaine (NJ)

What! Joe the Plumber talking about foreign policy is more than I heard out of Sarah Palin talk about foreign policy in months!! Notice how Joe will not be visiting minority communities to spread his message. Hmmm.

October 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Britton New York

Seems like Joe or Sam or whatever his name and whatever his occupation might have been a better choice than Sarah Failin'

October 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  17. Bert

Right on, Erica!

Only, I think that you don't have a "right" to complain if you do not vote.

October 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  18. David, Indiana

I agree with David Gergen about Florida, that seems to be one of the upshots of the first panel discussion...

They are in an uphill place, but polls show McCain closing, so he's making progress.

I feel its been bumpy but McCain/Palin are coming through and beginning to hit their stride...it's easy to see they're working things out, I believe...

October 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Blake Williams

Roland always brings balance to what is being said I love it.

October 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Yvonne in Georgia

Joe the Plumber has now become Joe the politician, now he needs some clothes. The RNC should go spend another $150,000 to make him look the part.

October 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Chris /MA

This "joe the plumber" tactic is a sign of the incredibly poor decsion-making going on in the McCain camp. They need to come and speak to "Chris the Teacher" and get an earfull.

October 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Robin - Tampa, FL

Hi Anderson,

You got a good panel on tonight ... I still wish you could some how conjure up Ed Rollins. I'm an Obama supporter, but I still like hearing Ed's views.

October 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Chris B

Erica

My only complaint is what to do after the election? Time to find a new hobby. Perhaps I'll spend my free time trying to win that Beat 360 T-Shirt.

October 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Deb in IN

Very true Erica...we all should vote...and if we did the Democrats would have always won since there are more Democrats than Repbulicans! But they don't all get out and vote..I think that's why we are seeing so many this time...they are finally getting it! VOTE! Thank you Democrats. We need a change...

October 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I am tired to hear from Joe the plumber....... I don't want to hear from him.

October 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Tim McNair

Well said Roland and David. This bit with Joe the Plumber has gotten ridiculous. Now this guy is an expert on foreign policy? He must have read the Sarah Palin I can see Rusia From My Back Porch book on being an expert!

October 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  27. kim-chicago

Thank you Anderson...Joe the plumber is not just a symbol he is an actual guy who lost all credibility a long time ago when he was proven to be a fraud. Maybe someone should send a memo to John McCain.

October 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Rocco Isabella

Erica... I love your point. Some aquaintances of mine are not voting.. I am trying to change their mind, but I also told them: "if you dont vote, I dont want to hear you"... lets make it happen... I'm going to see Obama/Clinton tomorro in kissimmee florida

Obama

October 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Joey M

Wow! Joe the plumber said "he is voting for McCain a real American." Did anyone else catch that?

October 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Sarah, Vegas

Yes, you can do pretty much anything here in Vegas.

October 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  31. Shane, Las Vegas

Erica, I would hope it also gives you the right to express your observations in open forums without bias!

October 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Maria CT

Yes, I don't think that David Gergen gets enough credit for the work he does. The sanity he brings and the classy way he conducts himself. I don't always agree with him but I always respect his views and the way he delivers them.

I was overcome with emotion today as I watched Obama giving his speech in the rain in PA. It really, really hurts to hear people insult and denigrate this beautiful man. He inspires me and is truly an INCOMPARABLE! I know that I will be bawling on Nov 4 and I will be bawling even more when he is sworn in.

October 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Stephanie

Hello Everyone, I blogged for the first time last night, a little intimidating as I am techno-challenged. But, here I go again. To all those in Fl. Gov. Christ just extended early voting hours each day. So if you haven't voted because of long lines, it will be easier with the extended hours. So go vote. I have been a nervous wreck for the last six months. Now Joe the not real plumber – what a pathetic joke on McCain/Palin.

October 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  34. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Demoralized. That's it David G. Thank you! Although I do agree somewaht with Roland too, dysfunctional. Lets just agree to call it a mess. And Joe the Plumber – yes David "give us a break", indeed. Boy, when David Gergen has had too much, that says it all. I feel your frustration and disgust David, we ALL do!

35. Laurie R.

Good evening Anderson and Erica,

I am so sad for Jennifer Hudson and her sister and the rest of the family.
    In the end, all we can hope for is that others may see the warning signs and go to a domestic violence shelter, so that this tragedy will have served some sort of higher purpose, whatever that may be. My condolences on their loss.

36. Laura -

I couldn't agree with you more about the freedom to complain, Erica. It is not only a privilege but your civic duty to help elect the President of the United States (that is actually one of the questions on the new citizenship test).

37. Jan - Montana

Amen, David Gergen!!! Joe, the Plumber needs to go home!! Enough already!!!!!!

38. Chris B

Anderson,
    I'm incredibly excited about election day. Obama winning will be the greatest single event in Black History I'm proud to have wittnessed this shift in our country. We have embarked upon a new America and Obama has become the catalist for us the American People. Just hours after the nation sheds tears of jooy it will be hard to remember Joe, Palin and John and wonder why they stood in the way of Americas greatest moment.

39. Sharon

I am excited about the election but am concerned for after. Not only will whoever wins have a mess to deal with but what do we discuss after the election? Talk about a letdown.

40. Lissa

Love ya, David...you're right on, as always!

And yeah...Joe the Plumber? Probably a plant in the beginning and now fear mongering à la McCain/Palin!

41. Cory from Fort Dodge,Iowa

Seeing how Iowa is first in the primaries. I'm moving before it all starts again. My phone needs a break from all the robo calls.

42. Martie

David – the voice of sanity – speaks again, Thank God!!

43. Alex

I can't wait for the election too end. I beileve it will be more of a relief than excted ror nervous. The election as historic as it is has brought the best and worst side in all of us. Good point though, Erica! I get to whine with all my might without getting taxed

44. Saera El Paso, Tx

oh my goodness
    i think the Joe the Plumber metaphor should die
    seriously
    it's soo annoying

45. Maureen T

I like David Gergen's take on Joe the Plumber!!

46. Monica - Milford, CT

I know what you're talking about Erica! In my house you're not allowed to complain about what the elected officials do if you didn't bother to vote!

47. MaryBeth

I love David Gergen...he can so not deal with stupid stuff...

October 28, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Pati,
    I agree with you...... My heart breaking for Jennifer Hudson....it made me so sad...... my heart goes to her.......

October 28, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Vince (TX)

Hopefully more people will view voting as their responsibility this time!

October 28, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Lori Tressel

Hi Anderson ! This is the first time in the election history that i have followed so close, i am a Obama supporter , I think that John Mc Cain is realy using dirty tricks and changing Obamas words around .
    I REALY HOPE THAT NEXT WEEK Obama gets the big win !!!!!!

October 28, 2008 at 10:40 pm |