October 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/28/08

Got a thought? We want to hear from you.  This is your chance to sound off during AC360°.  Share your feedback below.

But, you have to play by the rules. Yes, there are rules.

Keep in mind we get hundreds of comments each night. We post many of them. Others don't make the cut due to space and time limitations. Others are deleted because you're not following our guidelines. Here are some of them:

1) Use your real name.
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no "screaming" allowed)
3) No links to other web sites
4) Keep it short. (Sorry, we don't have room for an online book)
5) Stay on topic (make sure your comment applies to the blog posting)

On 360° tonight, a big rally on Wall Street. The Dow has its second best day ever. Is your 401K on the rebound? Plus, we're on the trail with just one week to go until the election. Senators McCain and Obama were both in Pennslyvania today, just 90 miles apart. We've got new poll numbers state-by-state. And, in our crime & punishment report, we'll have the latest on Jennifer Hudson's triple tragedy. Her nephew, mother and brother have all been found murdered in Chicago. Are investigators any closer to naming a suspect? Find out tonight on 360°.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wait.  One more guideline: There's a time limit.  We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.  Blog away. We want to hear from you!

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Rachael

Dad question again.How will McCain going freeze the budget when we're in a crisis?That going to require 500 billion (number off the top his head) to get new job and get up out of the crisis. Where is he going to get the money?

October 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Clay

Amen Kim from PA...I bet you there is a book in the works for the plummer man...

October 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  3. jane h.

Why is "Joe the Plumber" still a fixture in the news cycle? He was proven to be a liar, a fake, and probably a plant by the Republican campaign. This inability to separate fact from fiction really is an attempt to manipulate voters. McCain/Palin are shameless!

October 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  4. MIchael Bell

Why is this Joe the plummer can get away with saying he's voting for the real american. I am so sick of racism it is driving me crazy that we can't get over the color of one's skin. Joe you should be ashamed of yourself who are you to question someone american-ness.

October 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Joe Tirado, NYC

It's ridiculous how much money Obama is spending...but it will be all for naught, McCain all the way!

October 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Chris from STL

Joe the plumber is now McCain's foreign policy adviser ...

October 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Karl Stahnke

This "Joe the Plumber" thing is starting to rag on my brain. First of all, he only makes $40,000 a year. Therefore, he cannot "buy" a business. Second, he would benefit from the Obama tax plan. Oh wait, he does not pay taxes. Third, if you would have heard the right wing talking points he let come out of his mouth, you would know Joe was a plant. They did not even get his name right.

October 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  8. John B, in Chicago

If the policies of John McCain and the GOP worked so well, then why is it that during the past 8 years of Republican policies, the national debt has doubled, the stock market has crashed, the housing market has plummeted, gas prices are up 300% and we're spending $10 billion a month 6 years into a war to protect us against weapons of mass destruction that never existed?

October 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Andreia from Orlando, FL

whats wrong with the magic map??? its showing obama with 256 electoral votes?!?!

October 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  10. jay-toronto

i think obama will win ,showing some things are possible.i need to see that some things are possible,what u guys think?

October 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  11. David

I had the chance to see Barack Obama today in Harrisonburg, VA . My fiance and I have a 2 year old boy and a girl on the way, Barack spoke of what he would do to make life easier for people in the middle class and I feel like he has struck a home rin with my family, because I honestly need someone to create jobs, and invest in the great people of this country because if McCain gets in office I think the country will finally be in the toilet.

October 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  12. LeVar

Why is CNN giving this "Joe the Plumber" air time. Has he paid his back taxes? Now he's speaking of running for Congress; i think the Congress has enough idiots in it; we don't need to add anymore. "Joe the Plumber", stick to what you know.

Anderson, he is not and expert; you should not use that word in any sentence that speaks about "Joe the Plumber"

October 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

What amazes me is the early voting, I've never seen anything like this
    also stunned to think of how many people help these candiates

October 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Lee in State College

As a State College, PA, resident and Nittany Lion fan, I just have to say: we don't vote for who Joe-Pa tells us! In fact, I got a robo-call today from Jay Paterno, who is actively campaigning for Obama. Kerry carried the city, and Centre County, in 2004. It's a lot like Gainesville, FL, another college town where I used to live - a pocket of blue in a sea of red. I accept the geography. But the idea that The Coach (or the 'ol Ball Coach) is swaying a lot of votes is a heck of a stretch! We can actually see past the gridiron to those things called issues.

October 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Rich Cohen

Why are you giving media coverage to non-joe the non-plumber? Who cares? You're playing into McCain's latest gimmick.. Just 'keepin' ya' honest'.

October 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Barbara Goodenough

Hi Anderson ! My husband and I are so excited for this election to end. We just hope most people in this country will Vote. We both are hoping Obama wins the Big House!

October 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

MannyG
    Welcome to Live Blog tonight!!!!

October 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Jermaine (NJ)

I am so nervous about election day. I am nervous about voter suppression efforts and the safety of minority voters.

October 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Carmella

Joe the Plummer said he wants to vote for "a real American" that's divisive. Most people are attracted to diversity and inclusiveness. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around how people find themselves judging who is a real American is and who is not. I would love to know in Joe's mind who is "a real American".

October 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Barbara Williams

Just saw the clip of Joe/Sam the Plumber talking to a group in what looked to be a tavern or bar and saying that he voted for McCain, a "Real American". Cue the hateful supporters at McCain Palin rallies. Doesn't look like Joe's expanded campaign role is going to anything more than inspire the hateful vitriol that has been spewed at Palin rallies to-date.

October 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  21. lisa lee

Happy Tuesday Anderson and Erica.. I'm so ready for Nov 4th I took off work to be part of the Process Go Virgina elect Sen. Barrack Obama enough said.

And then we can get back to real news OKAY!

October 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Courtney

wow! That newspaper having to make a call early...now that's news. Hopefully they don't have to throw them all away!! Go Obama!

October 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  23. Dorina

In the "Joe the plummer" rally, what did he mean "let's vote for a real American"?

October 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Deb in IN

Go Pa and FL...make the right decision!

October 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  25. Kay

"Joe the Plumber" is to good to be true for the McCain campaign.
    Seems like a definate plant to me!!! He does and says exactly what they want to hear to get their points across.

October 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  26. Fred McClaren

I don't understand all the talk about "distributing the wealth." It is just another indicator of how republicans see tax cuts for the middle class as "Class Warfare," but tax cuts for wealthy as some sort of inalienable right.

I would much rather see a re-distribution of wealth to the middle-class rather than the contination of policies aimed at CONSOLIDATING the wealth in the hands of the top 5% of the population!

27. Sarah, Vegas

Enough with Joe the Plumber.

28. Dana, NY

Kim-Chicago I agree with you. The world is watching and praying that Obama will be the next president. I can predict the same – If Obama gets elected the stocks will get higher and the world confidence will bounce back.

29. Wanda

Did "Joe the Plumber" just say he was voting for a "real American"? You see it's those kind of nasty and ugly remarks that will most certainly make this "independent soccer mom" vote for Obama. I am just sick of the McCain/Palin ticket.

Go Obama!

30. Clay

Both of the candidates need to quit talking about each other and talk about how they are going to get Congress to work together and get this country back on track.

31. Ron

Joe the Plumber: Pay your taxes!

32. Leo

Is anyone suprised that Sarah Palin is planning for 2012 and blaming the the McCain camp for her poor press showings. She may be a pitbull in lipstick but she is also the dog that bites the hand that feeds her. That is her track record.! This is if we want to place any importance on trackrecords.

33. Josh - Indianapolis

I'm excited for the election, but scared at the same time...

34. Dee, atlanta, ga

the McCain campaign hit an all time low today....joe the plumber's endorsement and what he said...about the "real america" and about a vote for obama would be the death of israel. is that the best he could have said? Is this not the fundamental difference between the GOP and the DEMs this election cycle? without sounding arrogant, why is the GOP base so out of touch? is it me? or is it everyone else.

By the way, early voting in GA is definitely tilting obama...

35. Joe from PA

AC- It is too little too late for McCain here in PA. His and Bush's policies have crushed the PA economy/middle class over the past 8 years. If McCain needs PA to win the election then welcome President Obama.

36. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Hi Angel – I am right across the river from you in Camp Hill. You are right, there is no way McCain will win PA. It is all about Obama. Thank goodness!

October 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Mike Biasin (Wells Maine)

Obama hasn't bought the race yet. In case anyone doesn't know, it ain't over til it's over.

38. Stacy

Joe the Plumber is really milking his 15 minutes. He's not even a plumber. Or a Joe. We should call him Sam the Opportunist.

October 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  39. irina

Fore sure some have tasted the flavour of election, with the early election, but for sure they will feel a nervous excitement and the touch of achievement.

October 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  40. Mike

If Joe the Plumber could only understand that he is currently being exploited. The green must have taken its toll on his sense.

October 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Geoff

Very nervous, I will not relax until Obama is CONFIRMED as the President elect!

October 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Ingrid from Northern VA

Why are you guys giving any creadence to Joe the Plumber on this network? He has been a McCain plant from the beginning. Again, it should be fair to find a regular person who is supporting Obama or else you're giving free press to McCain..

October 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Danny from Texas

Good show so far, but in reality, I am not interested in what Joe the Plumber has to say. I don't know why the networks are bothering to cover him.

October 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  44. jay-toronto

we don't need fear ,we need leadership NO more BUSH.

October 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Bonnie

I am neither nervous nor excited, I am Worried, I will have used my intellect and heart when I have made my final decision. I hope I have found balance, and truth.

October 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Carol

Happy Tuesday Erica and Anderson! 1 week to go!!! I just hope we don't have hanging chads again or voting machines going crazy!

October 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  47. John B, Un Chicago

Why are you guys giving "Joe the Plumber" one second of your air time? This guy is a tool of the McCain campaign, who spouts nothing but falsehoods and talking points, and he isn't the representative of the small entrepreneur that he or McCain painted him to be.

October 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Rebekah

And who does Joe the Plumber think is paying for the war in Iraq? Last time I checked it was the taxpayers. Can't have it both ways. Keep the war going and not pay taxes.

October 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Susan from Pennsylvania

Hello, Anderson and others. I stood in the pouring rain with thousands of others for over 5 hours this morning to share a piece of history. We all listened as Senator Obama spoke the words we've always held in our hearts. When I left I was soaked and could barely feel my fingers, but it was worth it.

October 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Jen

"Joe the Plumber" is an ignorant guy and a fraud. It is absurdity and insulting pandering that McCain is talking him on the trail.

October 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |