October 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/28/08

Got a thought? We want to hear from you.  This is your chance to sound off during AC360°.  Share your feedback below.

But, you have to play by the rules. Yes, there are rules.

Keep in mind we get hundreds of comments each night. We post many of them. Others don't make the cut due to space and time limitations. Others are deleted because you're not following our guidelines. Here are some of them:

1) Use your real name.
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (no "screaming" allowed)
3) No links to other web sites
4) Keep it short. (Sorry, we don't have room for an online book)
5) Stay on topic (make sure your comment applies to the blog posting)

On 360° tonight, a big rally on Wall Street. The Dow has its second best day ever. Is your 401K on the rebound? Plus, we're on the trail with just one week to go until the election. Senators McCain and Obama were both in Pennslyvania today, just 90 miles apart. We've got new poll numbers state-by-state. And, in our crime & punishment report, we'll have the latest on Jennifer Hudson's triple tragedy. Her nephew, mother and brother have all been found murdered in Chicago. Are investigators any closer to naming a suspect? Find out tonight on 360°.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wait.  One more guideline: There's a time limit.  We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.  Blog away. We want to hear from you!

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sheri Burke

Hi From Idaho!

Our High School election just closed after a couple of weeks of voting. Our traditionally red state just voted Barack Obama for President of the United States! This is historic!

October 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  2. anderson cooper

kim spencer. welcome to the blog!

October 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Anthony

Anderson, when the networks call specific states on election night based on exit polls, will the early vote numbers be factored in?

October 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Mike, Syracuse NY

Anderson, why are these 'insiders' in the McCain campaign who are bashing Palin nameless. With the stakes in this election, you owe it to the public to tell us who is speaking out. If you don't know, how can you validate the story?

October 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Scott

I am so afraid of the horrible republican tactics that are being used, that it will work as it did in 00 and 04 🙁

But at 40 years old I have never been so proud to vote as I was for Obama this year.

October 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Mike Biasin (Wells Maine)

Erica you're doing just fine. The webcast is great when you're on talking and we don't see the "in a moment" screen. 🙂

October 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Linda

Hi Anderson, I both!! I don't understand what is going on in the McCain camp with the infighting. If that is an example of how he would run the govt, I'm not interested. The election is not over.

October 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Crystal Loris, SC

McCain camp are grasping straws. They have now resorted to undermining tactics. They have choosen to draw attention to Obama's tax issues instead of their wasteful spending when many Americans can not afford gas.

October 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Martie

Hi Jan – it was also very exciting for me earlier in the week when my youngest accompanied me to the polls last week and "pulled the lever" for the very first time!!

October 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Max, Dallas, TX

I wonder if McCain feels bad when he lies about Obama's economic plan, because Obama's plan will actually HELP people. If it all works out, my parents and everyone we know will get tax cuts. If anyone is dissuaded by McCain's misrepresentation of Obama's plan... that's really unfortunate for us all.

October 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  11. jen rose

The excitement is high for the whole country.....the antipication is growning.

October 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  12. Dave in the UK

The first projections compared with the first actual results will be very interesting – will there be a Bradley Effect or not?

October 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  13. Jane Toms

AC, if you are going to quote some Palin Aide, isnt it fair to give out the name? If the Aide wants to remain anonymous, then this should not be a news story.

October 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  14. EJ (USA)

I can't imagine the excitement I will feel next week. I think I just might have a heart attack if I don't watch my excitement levels.

October 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  15. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Well, as a PA resident, I am anxious to hear what the panel has to say about us. Clearly we tend to go Democrat. Should be interesting.

October 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Bert

I think that an absentee ballot from a Republican is a vote for Sen. Obama.

October 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Yvonne in Georgia

I'm not nervous at all. I was more nervous during the democratic primary. I'm confident Obama will win we will be very pleased over the next 8 years with his leadership and I believe the republicans will be pleased too.

October 28, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Kayla Kuni

I am so ready for this election to be over. I love the rallies (Biden was recently in my town of New Port Richey, FL); however, I am ready to move on. I want to know who is going to be in charge of this country and I want them to start focusing on putting their promises into action. Also, Florida has early voting and there are still 3+ hours lines in many areas. I already voted (thankfully), but I think McCain should have done more campaigning in Florida prior to the beginning of early voting.

October 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Chris /MA

Very excited!

October 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Jana, Indiana

Are all these early votes being counted all ready or will they wait till next Tuesday?

October 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  21. Ash S

Hello all, I am so tired and excited at the same time for the election day!

October 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Sherry Johnson

Anderson: Definately excited about this election, previously registered Republican, now Independent and voting for Senator Obama. I am getting really tired of the Republicans ugly tactics...their desperation is showing and I a totally feed up with them!

October 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Candace from Yellowknife NT

How accurate are the polls, they still seem fairly close to me – or are they reliable?
    6% undecided seems to be a wild card, could go either way.
    Or am I reading to much into those numbers?

October 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Ashleigh

I'm excited for election day- once it's over we won't have to hear the exact same lines over and over anymore.

October 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Marshall

Good evening all, Does Sen, Obama really have a chance to win Fla
    and Va

October 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Monte in Keller, TX

My heart broke in 2000, I was numb in 2004, I'm edgy this time around. Texas is heavy Rep. Where I work is extremely heavy Rep. Crossing my fingers and waiting this one out. Voted last Saturday.

October 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  27. Janna

Today the Dow is up.....tomorrow it will probably crash again. Half of my 401(k) is gone.... My husband is having back surgery on Monday. His company doesn't have short-term disability. So guess where the rest of my 401 (k) is going? So we can pay our mortgage for the next three months. We have good credit. We have health insurance. I'm a nurse. But we can't survive on my paycheck alone. And the media's focus for the last few days? Sarah Palin's wardrobe. Mr. Obama will be getting my vote.

October 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

That is good poll for Obama......... I voted for Obama early!

October 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Harris

I am very excited about election day. I don't think the race will be close! I think the polls are off because of who is being polled. The majority of young people who are going to make a big difference in this election are not being polled, therefore, they are not being represented in the polling numbers. Obama will win Virginia and North Carolina and the dominoes will begin to fall.

October 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  30. Courtney

Very excited. Election night is filled with promise of a clean slate. It is a lot like the new year's resolutions...just when are you gonna break what you promised you were going to do. But it's still filled with awe not knowing the outcome. Go Obama.

Louisburg, KS

October 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  31. Steve Matthews

Good evening, Anderson. I am ready like most of the American People for this election to be over. I have to wait to vote on Tuesday, we don't have early voting in Alabama. So I'll stand in line to cast my ballot. It time for a new Persident and for a change in our Goverment. All I have to say is may the Best Men Win.

October 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  32. WendyM in VA

SO Excited!!!!
    Obama '08

October 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  33. Imani from Maryland

Hi Anderson and Erica ... it's been a while... i am excited to be apart of history, but nervous about the future

October 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  34. Jasontor

Palin is not a maverick, she is arm candy for the McCain campaign.

October 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  35. Julia - California

This election day is historic, no matter which way it goes - how could any American not be excited to see how this story ends?

October 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  36. EJ (USA)

A senior McCain advisor called Palin a WHACK JOB today! That's the way to go a week before the election.

October 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  37. Janine from PA.

Good evening Mr. Cooper , Ms. Hill and the rest of the dancing 360 team, don't know if I'm excited, the country is in such a mess I don't think any candidate can do much. I try not to be a pessimist but I just don't know what to think about the future.

October 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  38. tina

Ali (whom I think is brilliant!) keeps saying that new housing purchases are up. I am wondering whether the upsurge is due to investors buying them from developers with the intent to rent them.

October 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  39. Martie

Hopefully, the losing candidate will bow out gracefully and not litigate the death out of every close outcome.

October 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  40. lpfoong, Malaysia

I feel it's both. Nervous and excited, no? And I can't even vote. Go figure. But I believe there's this desire for change that's so strong within everyone...in the US and all over the world.

October 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  41. Jessica

good evening everyone,
    Im super excited for Nov. 4th, i am in high school and we have off on Nov. 4, so im going to gather a bunch of my friends and watch CNN all day =) we love poltics

October 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  42. Chris from STL

What a great day in the market .... wish would get several more like this frequently!!!!

October 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  43. EJ (USA)

I just pray that the rest of this week and this weekend is calm and nobody does anything crazy.

October 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think the internal polls are telling the campaigns something the other polls are not.

October 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  45. Minou, New York City

what would a psychologist call the stock market ? Manic-depressive?

October 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  46. donna

Can you please review past elections where a candidate was leadng in the polls and yet still lost the election?

October 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  47. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Anderson: I am excited about election day and you are all invited to an election party at my house! yeah, election '08, HISYORY!

October 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse NY

Anderson, I'm dreading election day. We seemed poised to elect an outright dangerous choice. McCain and Hillary would at least be qualified. Obama has never led a darn thing and he wants to start with the country. I'm hoping for a 10 point Bradley effect.

October 28, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  49. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Anderson: I'm excited for election day! It will be interesting to see how the states voted, by what %, the demographics, etc. and how its changed from past elections or compares to the polls I'm sure the Magic Map will get its share of a workout that night too!

October 28, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  50. Jonathan Mitchell , Dothan Alabama

Good eveing Anderson love watching ac360 was wondering if you going to be on live this weekend? cover the election?

October 28, 2008 at 10:07 pm |