October 27th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/27/08

We are big fans of the live blog. Anderson, Erica and the entire staff of AC360° enjoy reading your comments. We respect your opinions and love the feedback. After all, without you the viewer, and you the reader, we are working all these hours for nothing.

Every night we get hundreds of comments. Many get posted, many others do not because of space and time limitations. NEWS FLASH: there are other reasons. People are breaking the rules. Here's a quick recap of the guidelines:

1. Use your real name.
2. Stay on topic.
3. We like criticism. But keep it intelligent and thoughtful, perhaps even constructive.
4. Don't write in ALL CAPS.

Yes, I know you can obey the rules and still not get posted. Refer back to "space and time limitations." Please keep trying – like I said we really do value your input.

On the program tonight: with only a week of campaigning left, Barack Obama is trying to close the deal, and John McCain is trying to stop him. The battlefield, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Two campaigns on the same turf but in very different circumstances. We'll have reports from the field and talk over today's developments with the Best Political Team in Television.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Monica - Milford, CT

David Gergen just explains things so well!

October 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Maureen T

We should listen to what David Gergen says! He's a wise one! 🙂

October 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  3. Dave

Anderson, Can you please discuss the role of McCain/Palin's race baiting on Obama's life? We hear couple of arrests of plots to harm Obama. Why don't you discuss the wicked campaigning of McCain and creation of these terrorist to harm a Presidential candidate? I am so gald to see secret service in arresting these idiots on time.

October 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Socialist? The elderly I have visited actually believe all the hate speak of the McCain campaign. So sad!

October 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Adam

Palin in 2012 is a daunting thought...first impressions are hard to break & the way her approval ratings are...I'm not so sure that R.N.C. will look favorably the next time around. Sorry Sarah, don't call us, we'll call you.

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Lana from Arizona

Palin is out of her league............likeable enough but really shouldn't be there. I am beginning to feel sorry for her. She needs more time as Governor and more exposure to politics before she ever tries this again. If I would have ever voted for McCain, Palin would have stopped me dead in my tracks.

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Brenda Roberts

Hi Anderson – Happy Halloween to you as well! My 4 year old is dressing up as Mary had a Little Lamb and my 9 month old will be her side kick – the Lil Lamb!

Anxious for Nov 4th – looking forward to fresh new ideas on how to best position and run our country.

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hey, don't knock those vibrating massage chairs Anderson! They are expensive but well worth the "shiatsu" massage technique. You should try one, they are wonderful for sore muscles!

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  9. monica

I came to the US in the 70th from Germany, the Germans have a solcialist Party, so do most of the European. Yes the unemployment is high in Europe, but nobody starves, nobody is worried about getting sick. If you Palin or MCCain talk about socialism they should read up on it. The Forida Anchor woman was the perfect example not knowing the differents between socialism, communism and marksism. stupid, stupid, stupid

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Sarah

Erica/Anderson,

I am a big fan of the show. Why is it that in Alaska, a senator can get charged guilty of a crime and still run for election? Our current President & Vice-President can lie about WMD without any flack, but Obama can not talk about the true principles of the United States taxation policy without getting called a "Socialist"? Where is the irony in this....

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This question was no worse than the questions Couric asked Palin.

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Chris from STL

This Barbara West is a joke, a disgrace to her profession. I saw her softball interview of McCain. What a difference .. ... It clearly indicates that she is a pseudo journalist with hidden agenda.

I thought, Joe Biden handled her well ...Any other person would have just walked out. I don't think either McCain or Palin would have survived that kind of questioning.

October 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Carol

John King rocks! His insider knowledge is amazing.

October 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Mark

The purported quote from the Orlando anchor woman is a Biblical quote from the book of Acts 4:32. This isn't Marxist. This is stupid. Aren't Republicans mostly Christian?

October 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Joe Mon

Regardless if McCain wins or losses – Palin will be a footnote after the next Presidental cycle. Unless you cable "news" networks keep talking about her celebrity.

Regarding Biden – Great example of a dopey "journalist"

October 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Marcus, California

I don't think that it will be a landslide, i think the election will be relatively close. ( until the recounts start! )

October 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Jaelle

I'm going to be Sarah Palin for Halloween, only because I can pull it off without too much work. Or...... maybe I'll be Tina Fey, as Sarah Palin:)

On second though, I'm not sure I can afford it.

October 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Orlando, Kingston Jamaica

The quetion posed by the Anchor woman about Marxism was taken from the wrong angle. To tie Obama to Marxism in the question was not done properly. It made her seem very objective and does not reflect good journalism.
    America, the world is watching vote wisely. We're waiting to be lead with wisdom and intelligence.

October 27, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Cay Scheumack

Someone forgot to tell Ted Stevens the enviroment of POLITICS has changed.

October 27, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Sharon Gatlin

I agree with what Raeyln's comment was. We middle class people have been redistributing the wealth until our wealth is almost gone.Why should not the true wealthy start sharing in this great blessing? I am still at this time undecided. I am a little leary of some of both their polices.

October 27, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Bob Brinkman

Anderson: I've been watching both Fox and CNN , and I've not made my mind up yet. When watching CNN, I am wondering what CNN will
    gain if Obama becomes president? Your coverage is making me lean
    towards McCain. Thanks, Bob from Michigan.

October 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Hazel

If McCain can't take lead of his campaign committee or his running mate(Palin) why should we trust him in leading our country?

October 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Nathan from Las Vegas

Anderson! Erica! Bloggers!

Erica, you're son is being a fireman huh? Well, newest crave this Disney age... "Pixie Dusts and Fairies". At the mall alone, I saw a dozen in TinkerBell costumes...

Oh, Anderson would get a kicked out of that, you being him in Holloween. Me and my wife was laughing so hard when you had that look, it was great!!

Nathan

October 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I hope the killer will be caught by 3 people as Jennifer's mom, brother and nephew...... Killer will be back to jail anytime!

October 27, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Greg, Atlanta

Ms. Palin has REPEATEDLY shown that she is unable to grasp or even take advice about the complex political environment in which she finds herself. Please tell me that we as Americans are not seriously considering putting this woman alone in a room with Vladimir Putin or Kim Jong Ill. PLEASE?!

Ms. Palin seems like a nice enough person,haven't we had enough of voting for candidates we'd like to have a beer with. Somebody needs to stay sober enough to drive later.

David Gergen Rules!!

October 27, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Lesa, TN

The weight on my heart for Jennifer Hudson is overpowering the presidential race today.

I really feel for her and I have no earthly idea how it is to lose a mother, a brother and a nephew by way of murder. May God give her strength.

October 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Freddy Porras

Hello Anderson, Erica and Bloggers@360 a big Hiiii! from San Jose Costa Rica. Anderson, Erica We really love your show, thanks for your great job.

October 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  28. T. Tyronne, VA.

I think Sara Palin is smart Diva. I lived in Alaska for 14 years, Wasilla is somewhat rural and for her to move to the national stage was probably a thrill for her. She did know herself she would be this popular. Her popularity has stirred her ambition to be president in 2012. I don't think she is qualifed.

October 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Don, WA

Does Miles O'Brien have a pilots license for that electoral map? Good job either way!

October 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Cay Scheumack

Have you thought that maybe Sarah Palin is talking about her wardrobe so much is then she doesn't have to talk about the ISSUES. She might think that continual talking about her wardrobe will eventually turn women voters their way.

October 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Jim

Anderson- Hope You & Erica got Chest high hip waders- with 8 days left the B.S. is gonna get deep.

October 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Will in California

Erica, dress your son up as the little smelly boy mummy from the cartoon show "Tutenstein" from the Discovery Kids Channel (KIDS). All you need is pharoh head garb, some face makeup, and lots of body wrap. Firemen costumes are too New York. Little Tut seems like he's stuck in the terrible-twos stage.

October 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  33. David Gergen

Hello everyone - can you believe that we are still talking about Sarah Palin's wardrobe 8 days before the election? Does this make sense to you? Who bears responsibility?

October 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Michelle / Washington State

I returned from a field trip to the fire station with my son's kindergarten class today and learned the news about Jennifer Hudson's nephew. My heart goes out to her family. I am in complete disbelief that people out there to commit crime like this, although sadly it happens. What are they thinking?

I am so happy that there are only 7 more days left in this election – the stress eating is getting bad enough as it is!

October 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Clarence Albuquerque

I think I'll go as a bouncing map of the United States...... or maybe as a purple tomato

October 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  36. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    I skip Halloween, except for the candy, in favor of winter holdiays. Also, I've already voted for Obama, so the McCain campaign just looks annoying to me at this point.

October 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  37. Melene

Mr. Biden was correct to ask her is this a joke. She did not expected Mr. Biden give her an answer like that.. She had her on agenda. Mr. Biden answer that question on another network.

Melene

October 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Halloween? I am dressing up like Marilyn Monroe and my boyfriend will be Obama. I can't wait to sing," Happy birthday Mr. President!"

October 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  39. Roger, Germany

Hey Guys!
    Here in Germany you wont find a good halloweenparty, so we are focused on the elections too.

October 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Crevita ( Pensacola, FL )

Can O'Brian make Michigan bounce like they did on SNL?

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Wow!!!! Miles O'Brien is best magic touch wall!!!! Thanks for information the polls!!! 🙂

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Wendell

McCain is the air head for picking Palin. Get real! You can't blame her for being who she is! She needs to be @ a hockey game fighting for stronger dental insurance for hockey

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

ok, MIles looks more like the guy who spoofed the magic map on SNL.. Ok, I will not be able to watch the "REAL" map and good coverage you guys do with it, without thinking of that SNL skit..

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Tina, LA

Hi Anderson, Erican, bloggers

My God, I can't believe only eight days left. This is the first presidential race ever that I've been so on to point with. I find it all sooo interesting...I' thinking of majoring in political science. I love it all! Unfourtunately I can't vote yet, but I've been bugging all my friends and family who can vote to vote (for Barack Obama of course!). Boy are they glad that this comes only once every four years.

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Carolyn

Hi Anderson,

What's up with the big Louis Vuitton bag I saw her young daughter toting around? Is that something the republican party is letting her borrow? If she's really a down to earth "hockey mom" that buys her stuff at a consignment shop she could never afford a bag of that worth.

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  46. Brandi-bottom of the boot

Patty,

being from south la., i bet i can find an extra pair of waders for you! lol

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  47. Nicky

Did they finally get under David's skin? The last segment was the most emotion I have ever seen him show. Keep up the good work David. I know what I think about this election after I listen to you each night.

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  48. Kevin in Los Angeles

Please tell David Gergen, et al, that what is TRULY absurd is the selection of Sarah Palin as McCains V.P. candidate. Do ANY of you think that the U.S. was served by McCains decision to elect this "empty dress"?

If McCains candidacy was so tenuous as to require this gimmick, well I think that speaks volumes about HIM.

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Steve - southern Illinois

Hey, who's that guy messing with John King's Magic Map?

October 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Jeremy Danielson

I was thinking of being Anderson for Halloween but my friend convinced me that no one besides Anderson can pull-off the silver hair. Although I beg to differ, I'll have to choose something else. 🙂

October 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |