October 24th, 2008

Rap for your favorite candidate

Editor's note: Students from The Ron Clark Academy are studying politics in an unusual way... holding mock debates, but also rapping about the upcoming Presidential election. Sixth and seventh graders joined Mr. Clark and performed their latest song You Can Vote However You Like, putting their own lyrics to T.I.’s Whatever You Like. Here are some of the lyrics:

Watch students from The Ron Clark Academy perform their election rap.
Watch students from The Ron Clark Academy perform their election rap.

Obama on the left
McCain on the right
We can talk politics all night
And you can vote however you like...

(McCain supporters)
McCain's the best candidate
With Palin as his running mate
They'll fight for gun rights, pro life,
The conservative right
Our future is bright
Better economy in site
And all the world will feel our military might

I want Obama
FORGET OBAMA,
Stick wit McCain you gone have some drama
MORE WAR IN IRAQ
Iran he will attack
CAN'T BRING OUR TROOPS BACK
We gotta vote Barack!

(Obama supporters)
But McCain and Bush are real close right
They vote alike and keep it tight
Obama's new, he's younger too
The Middle Class he will help you
He'll bring a change, he's got the brains
McCain and Bush are just the same
You are to blame, Iraq's a shame
Four more years would be insane

Lower your Taxes – you know Obama Won't
PROTECT THE LOWER CLASS – You know McCain won't!
Have enough experience – you know that they don't
STOP GLOBAL WARMING – you know that you won't

I want Obama
FORGET OBAMA
Stick with McCain and you're going to have some drama
We need it
HE'LL BRING IT
He'll be it
YOU'LL SEE IT
We'll do it
GET TO IT
Let's move it
DO IT!

I'm talking big pipe lines, and low gas prices
Below $2.00 that would be nice

But to do it right we gotta start today
Finding renewable ways that are here to stay

Democratic left
Republican right
November 4th we decide
And you can vote however you like, I said
You can vote however you like, yeah

Editor's note: Ron Clark has been called "America's Educator." In 2000, he was named Disney's American Teacher of the Year. He is a New York Times bestselling author whose book, The Essential 55, has sold over 1 million copies and has been published in 25 different countries. His classes have been honored at the White House on three separate occasions. Ron's teaching experiences in New York City are the subject of the uplifting film, The Ron Clark Story, starring Matthew Perry. Read more about the Ron Clark Academy.

Filed under: Barack Obama • John McCain • Raw Politics
  1. chelsey m. canada

this is amazing. thankfully i have teachers who are cool enough to do this kind of thing in class too.
    this kind of thing will get more young people out to vote as they are aware of what is actually going on. great idea.

October 26, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  2. Judy

Obama has consistently said he will not raise taxes on tax payers making less 250 thousand dollars or less, only on taxpayers making over 250 thousand dollars. This is 90/95 % of the country. Mccain and Palin keep saying that Obama says he will raise all of our taxes. They refuse to tell the whole story. What part of this does do they not understand. Or maybe they are in the 10% making over 250 thaousand a year. and don't want their taxes raised. I also would like to know what dollar amount Palin thinks is middle class. If she considers herself middle class the the rest of us are at the proverty level.

October 26, 2008 at 12:31 pm |
  3. Rajesh Punwani

Way to go kids with the McCain Obama rap!
    Change is the need in all areas , viz. economy/health-care/taxation etc.
    The present CNN poll survey putting Senator Obama on an 8 p.c. lead is not enough to win the election with nine days to go. No one knows for sure what will really sway a Voter, especially the undecided voter, when he is at the booth. All said and done, a testing time indeed for the American public.

October 26, 2008 at 12:20 pm |
  4. Max

THAT is so cute ...

BETTER than some of the actual RAP performers I have heard????

BUT I am not an expert on RAP????

October 26, 2008 at 11:48 am |
  5. Larry L.

We need something for Nader too!!

October 26, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  6. Harlan in Dallas Tx.

Ron Clark,has done a great job here.But i,being on the far-left,have my own lyrics.Right vs Left Rap.I'm John McCain,and i'm with moose hunter,were both white on Iraq,and the"ll be no surrender.I'm Barack Obama,and were like salt and pepper,so put us on your table,and will join hands together.Sarah and i,look good together,i'm old she's young,the way it ought to be,vote for us,don't be a commie.Joe and i,are the only way to go,vote for us,and the World will show it.Vote vote vote for McCain,keep prices low,low low,for walmart moms,don't worry about those Chinese,walmart submarines,off the west coast,just worry,just worry about Bin Laden,and i know how to find him.People people people,don't be uptight,vote for me and Joe,and everything will be alright,most people will come to us,after we win,this battle,but for those,am all day people,we will have the camps.They will learn right from wrong,and that everyone,should be paid the same,rap rap rap,will make them leftist,free healthcare for all,and a roof over everyones head.

October 25, 2008 at 6:37 pm |
  7. lampe

I'm offended by Rap-For- Your-Favorite Candidate: Sounds like code-words to me. Let's see how many White Rappers do you know? I am just as offended by this, as thoughs, who say they are offended, by Gov. Palins use of Soccer Moms, Hockey Moms, or Joe Six Packs. Turn around is fair-play.

October 25, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  8. Ghalyah

Now that's getting it done......... Thanks kids. Ghalyah

October 25, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  9. Alyce

WOW! I love these kids...what a great way to teach children about politics. I can't wait to share this with my colleagues!!!! Way to go teachers at Ron Clark Academy, way to go! Learning for the sake of application and not just for the sake of learning is simply wonderful...I want the students in my school to watch this clip. I think it will surely motivate them! Thanks CNN, thanks!

October 25, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  10. Vickie

I was not surprised to see they were from the Ron Clark Academy.
    As a school counselor, I use many of his ideas and he is definitely on the right track on how to bring up our children.
    He probably won't be reading this, but if he does, "GREAT JOB RON!"
    You are right, Leslie B. They would be very wise to enlist Ron's help in getting America's schools on the right path! Unfortunately, we have all these politicians who have never been in a classroom, much less a school, who are calling the shots. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor in Ron's school, EVERYONE succeeds. . . . .

October 25, 2008 at 1:08 pm |
  11. MPalalay (California)

Mr. Ron Clark...now THAT 's a REAL MAVERICK–not the self-proclaimed ones! He is one educator who has successfully reconciled theory and practice in teaching these children this rap.

To the rapping Ron Clark Academy students I say, "Go! Go! GO!" and "Great! Great! GREAT!"

There is HOPE, isn't it?

October 25, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  12. al moris

WOW thats what im talking about go KIDS

October 25, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  13. Gene Penszynski from Vermont

Novel way to get kids involved in the political process. My hat is off to Mr. Clark for a well thought out and inovative teaching technique. The nation needs more teachers like this who think out side the lines to stimulate young minds.

October 25, 2008 at 10:32 am |
  14. Carla

I Love this! Wonder if the artist T.I. has heard this? Wow very very good. Glad you included the lyrics.

October 25, 2008 at 8:55 am |
  15. Sush,Tx

The kids are intrested in Politics and enjoying the Rap

October 24, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  16. adina

i liked that obama&macain rap

October 24, 2008 at 9:26 pm |
  17. Leslie B., Indianapolis

Just happened to re-watch the movie, The Ron Clark Story, last week. Matthew Perry plays this amazing teacher who overcomes obstacle after obstacle to reach the kids in his class. The "extras" include an interview with the real Ron Clark, and you can see/feel his enthusiasm as if he were in the same room with you. He eventually opened his own school, and I am thrilled that he is still getting kids to see what school has to do with real life. WE NEED MORE TEACHERS LIKE THIS. Sens. Obama and McCain both would do well to pay attention to what this man knows about education.

October 24, 2008 at 9:25 pm |
  18. Tina .S

Change is really on it way!! to see kids getting invovled in politic and also having fun with it , that's a change!!

October 24, 2008 at 9:20 pm |
  19. Katherine

Somebody needs to book these kids. They are great! I think Barack should have them perform for him.

Go Kids!

October 24, 2008 at 8:44 pm |
  20. Larry

Will this lead to ringtones? Awesome if it does:) I've heard one of Barack doing a Spice Girl song Wannabe clip; it goes 'I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want'

October 24, 2008 at 8:01 pm |
  21. Kathi Fullerton Calif.

McCain and Palin
    They are still standin
    But without your vote
    We may get a bloke

MC MC MC McCain
    He is so sane
    He'll fight for us
    He's a man we can trust

GO Johnny Go Johnny
    He's a hero
    A hero
    A hero for all

October 24, 2008 at 7:10 pm |
  22. dennis l

how can mc cain hit the dems about raising taxes on the middle class, when he supports the war spending $10 billion a month that if elected could see no end in the future. give me a higher tax.

October 24, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  23. Cindy

Hey.....I guess this is one way to get young people interested in politics...use the music they listen to. Great idea!

Cindy...Ga.