October 23rd, 2008

Morning Buzz: Get Up Offa That Thing

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Hello people!

12 days to go, and Barack Obama is busting out some moves. Even when grooving to James Brown he had a dig for his opponent, joking w/Ellen DeGeneres “I’m convinced I’m a better dancer than John McCain.” That sounds like a challenge to me. McCain should brush up on his moves and hit back. A good old-fashioned dance-off may be just what we need at this stage in the election.

Obama begins his day in Indiana. He holds an early rally and then jets off to Hawaii to visit his ailing grandmother, a woman he calls “the rock of the family”. He won’t be back on the trail until Saturday. We will have Suzanne Malveaux following him to Hawaii, but he’ll likely be out of sight though we can be sure Joe Biden and Michelle Obama will keep hammering home the Dem messages in his absence.

John McCain is in Florida today. This trail has been very crowded as the candidates vie for those hot 27 electoral votes. We saw Obama and Hillary there early in the week, and now McCain engages in his Joe the Plumber tour (Minus Joe), targeting those middle class voters. Florida, like many states around the country, has been hit hard by the economy and those retirees have seen their savings dwindle.

We can expect the candidates to go back and forth today on economic issues, particularly taxes. John McCain telling his supports that Obama wants to ‘spread the wealth’ and insisting he won’t raise taxes while Obama accusing McCain of giving tax breaks to the wealthiest, not Joe the Plumber but Joe the Hedge Fund Manager.

Our CNN Poll of Polls this morning shows Obama with a 50-43% advantage. Meanwhile, new CNN/ORC/Time battleground polls show McCain trailing in four states he must win: Ohio, Nevada, North Carolina and Virginia. Obama yesterday told supporters in VA “I feel like we got a righteous wind at our back.” And McCain asked voters in New Hampshire for another comeback. In the state where he saved his primary campaign, he said “I know I can count on you. I’m asking you to come out one more time. Get out the vote…and we’ll win". Candy Crowley and Ed Henry will give us the latest tonight.

Sarah Palin is in Ohio today, and Joe Biden hits 3 key cities in North Carolina, the usually red state where Obama now holds a slight edge. Gary Tuchman will be on Biden’s trail today and give us the latest.

Asian markets slid over night, European markets were mixed, let’s see what happens on our side of the pond. Job reports and corporate earnings are all affecting the market cycle this week. Ali Velshi will help us make sense of it all tonight. And last but not least, our Most Wanted series continues. We won’t stop at 10, because there are more ‘names to be named’. I’ll let Anderson tell you the rest.

Have a great day and see you tonight!

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Mike O'Brien

Dear Penny Manis.., looks like Senator John McCain and Governor Sarah Palin are going to 'lose' the State of Montana in our lastest polls here. Number of visits to the State of Montana by John McCain and Sarah Palin.., 'ZERO'. Mike in Butte, Montana

October 23, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  2. Annie Kate

Michelle can dance; Obama just kind of shifts his weight from one foot to the other in time to the music – I agree with Michelle; she is the much better dancer. To get in the spirit of things, though, I'd like to see the best political team in news have a dance off – Paul Begala, David Gergen, Bill Bennett, Gloria Borger, Roland Martin (my money is on Roland), Jeffrey Toobin (another contender), and all the rest and including John King, Wolfe Blitzer, and especially ANDERSON!! We need a respite from the politics and this would fill the bill nicely, especially if Anderson danced.

The polls are really mixed up and down within a range band – sort of like the stock market. I doubt we will really know until those votes start getting counted election night. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

October 23, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  3. GF, Los Angeles

Enough of Joe the Plumber and Joe Six Pack. I'd like to hear from both sides what they plan to do with this huge economic downturn that now has our country's police departments in trouble. I just read an article on CNN that many police departments are cutting hours and officers due to lack of funds. Training has also been delayed for new recruits and officers will not show up at accidents unless there is an injury. What is really going to happen to this country with a reduction in police presence?

October 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  4. charlene lewis

i think i am already seeing the type of leadership both candidates offer ...obama is working his plan for his campaign as well as outlining his goals for us as a nation; and has selected a seasoned and educated vp in biden to help carry that out....mccain still can't find a workable plan for his campaign and even though his plan for the nation is talking about joe the plumber it seems geared for joe the ceo..plus mccain brings the added attraction of instant scandal with palin

mccain is a nice person....but we need a leader like obama

October 23, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  5. MPalalay (California)

Yes, I saw the dancing of Sen. Obama and his wife in two different places. I think with all the election "heat," we all need something fun, funny and lighthearted. Palin already did her "raising the roof" gig at SNL. Now, I want to see what McCain can do without mentioning the already worn-out Joe the Plumber attempts at stand-up comedy.

BTW, Sen. Obama, sorry but Michelle is a better dancer. I think you've been hitting the books too much at Harvard! That's ok, though, 'cuz you dance as cool as you debate; at least you've got rhythm. lol!

Get up offa that thing!

October 23, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  6. JT

Hard to beat a guy that knows ACORN and claimed that they registered millions of new voters mostly democrats.

Although, some of ACORN workers registered people numerous time, likt 50 times or more like this guy from Seattle who registered 2,000 fraudelant voters.

Obama likes to say, we registered millions of new voters now you know one of the reason why. Some of ACORN said they had to do whatever it takes to keep their $8 per hour job.

This is how Obama beat Hillary? Strong possibility.

Can Obama beat McCain because of this type of activities, strong possibilities. Maybe this is what Obama meant when he I am from Chicago, I am tough.

Obama, seems to belived The End justifies the means.

I am voting McCain.

October 23, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  7. Sue, Billerica, MA

Thanks for the update. And so nice to here none of the smears reported, even though using Joe the Plumber to hide behind while unfairly distorting facts and your opponent is as low as smearing to me, but he is a factor so you have to report it. I also think it bears to be noted the hypocrisy of the McCain camp in that Sarah Palin in one month spent more on clothes paid for by tax payers supporting presidential campaign funds than most people's houses are worth... so much for being for the Joe the Plumbers out there!

October 23, 2008 at 10:50 am |
  8. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

Well, okay, SO Sen. Obama "has to dig at his opponent" saying he is a better dancer!

Here is what McCain IS doing:

We have received a vile flyer, with the word "TERRORIST" on it and the words "NOT WHO YOU THINK HE IS".

IF THIS IS NOT HATE=SPEAK, WHAT IS?

PLEASE AMERICA, LET'S REJECT THE POLITICS OF HATE-LIES-FEAR-AND-DIVISION OF THE REPUBLICANS!

October 23, 2008 at 9:57 am |
  9. Michelle

I think this is shaping up to be a landslide. Those job
    numbers today are frightening. Right now people are
    tired of ideology and name calling. They want someone
    with a plan and a vision for the future. Obama can not
    get elected soon enough. When I log on to Digg, Reddit,
    Delicious, Stumbled Upon and others I can get a feel
    for how the public is feeling .

October 23, 2008 at 9:37 am |
  10. Tina

Great Title, made me laugh. There are only twelve days to go.

October 23, 2008 at 9:27 am |
  11. Michelle,fonthill,ont, canada

Good Morning Anderson and staff
    Those dance moves of Obama's are some smooth grooves.John McCain can't get t his groove on can he? Or better yet he dances the shuffle! The voting is getting tight and exciting now I like Obama's comment Joe the Hedge Fund Manager that's telling it like it is .

Have a great day
    see you on 360
    Michelle D.

October 23, 2008 at 9:15 am |
  12. Cindy

The bit of Obama and Michelle on Ellen was funny. Michelle by far is the better dancer. Barack dances like a white man! LOL And hey...we should have an old fashioned dance off. We should have McCain and Obama busting a move on the stage with Anderson hosting it and he'd have to show them how it's done! That's a way to get him to dance! HMMM...wonder who out of all of the three of them can actually dance? I bet McCain can do the old timey dancing pretty good. I bet Coop can too!

Cindy...Ga.

October 23, 2008 at 9:04 am |
  13. joethevoter

Obama is used to dancing around issues thats how he got to be such a good dancer! Biden is a joke like Ellen

October 23, 2008 at 8:56 am |