October 22nd, 2008

Republican attacks show fear and desperation

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/15/art.mccain.obama.split.jpg]Roland S. Martin | Bio
AC360° Contributor
CNN Political Analyst

Editor’s Note: You can read more from Roland at RolandSMartin.com

Watching Sen. John McCain and top Republicans swing wildly in their attempts to slam Sen. Barack Obama, with less than two weeks ago to go before Election Day, is like watching an old fighter –clearly out of gas, his legs turned to rubber, and all he can do is grab, hold, punch behind the back, just anything to try to win.

McCain's campaign is no longer about issues. He and his supporters want to bring up anything and everything to derail Obama, and nothing is sticking, so they just keep returning to their old bag of tricks.

In the past two weeks, we've seen Minnesota Republican Rep. Michelle Bachmann make one of the most audacious statements ever, suggesting that Obama holds anti-American views, that other members of Congress have the same views, and that the media should launch a widespread investigation to ferret them out.

No, seriously, she said that on MSNBC's "Hardball."

It didn't take long for the folks on the left to get a hold of her comments. After the video spread like wildfire, Democrats across the country pumped $700,000 into the campaign coffers of her opponent. The normally talkative Bachmann is now on lockdown, not granting any interviews, as she has to work hard to hold onto her seat.

Read more...

Filed under: Barack Obama • John McCain • Raw Politics • Roland S. Martin
  1. Cookie

I have never bogged in my life time, but I am over the constant barrage of campaigning here in Virginia. As an independent voter, I have had enough of the campaigns constantly hitting me from every way they can. If I was on the fence, I am not any longer.
    As an examples, from the Democratic Party I have people coming into my yard while doing yard work on weekends, calls every couple of hours, three or four mailings a day in my mailbox and commercials every hour on television. I would rather them donate the $94M left to campaign to the financial crisis or Hurricane ravaged states for home. I have had one or two calls and one piece of literature from the Republican Party. Enough is enough and frankly it does not show me that the Democratic Party has a conservative spending view point.

October 22, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  2. Sandi

It would be great to have a black President, just not this leftist one. Obama is buying the White House with all of his promises. He has never once mentioned a balanced budget. He is creating a welfare state and wants a bigger and bigger government , so voters rely on them. Once voters rely on government they keep us under their control. Then America will really change probably starting with freedom of speech. Example: a citizen (Joe the Plumber) questioned THE ONE and he has been viciousouly attacked, this is a picture of things to come.

October 22, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  3. Amanda

I know from experience that when someone is backed up against the wall, all they can do is personal attacks. I think what Sen. Obama needs to do now is just keep steady and stick to what he has been doing this whole time, which is stick to the issues. I'm not American, but I do keep with the times. I sure wish we had a Sen. Obama here in Canada.

October 22, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  4. Jim Breedlove

I contribute Senator McCain's decline to three major factors; Sarah Palin, Shawn Hannity & Russ Limbaugh. It's ashamed what people like Shawn Hannity & Russ Limbaugh do to the election process.

October 22, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  5. Cindy

Roland,
    If Obama is so great like you think then why hasn't he put McCain away? He can't do it can he!? With everything that is going on with the U.S. Obama still can't win!

As far as negativity I think you need to take your blinders off. Obama has spent twice as much money on negative ads than McCain has. So you are like a pot calling the kettle black. You make no sense!

As far as deregulation goes once again you are spouting out nonsense and lies. Carter and Clinton both deregulated everything. And what party do they belong to Roland? And who Roland wanted to reel them in but the dems wouldn't allow it...who Roland!? Definitely not Obama since he took major bucks from these companies!

Cindy...Ga.

October 22, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  6. Tony R

Why is it that we talk about Obama's "relationship" with Ayers and Wright, and yet there is no mention of McCain's position on Martin Luther King Day in his own state? He was quite adamantly against it until it became too politically incorrect for him to do so?

October 22, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  7. Sara

I suppose you'd suggest that the Republicans just sit back and accept defeat. It seems like everything they do is considered racist or desperate. McCain is still discussing the issues. His criticism of Obama's desire to "spread the wealth" is about the economy and taxes. His criticism of Obama's associations is about judgment. His criticism of Biden's "generated crisis" comments is about national security. If McCain is not supposed to criticize Obama on any of these points, I honestly don't know what's left. In my opinion, there is too much that is off limits when it comes to Obama. If he wins, will we be able to freely criticize him as we're doing with Bush.....or will this be considered unpatriotic?

October 22, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  8. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

Yes, Roland they do. For weeks, I have watched as McCain/Palin rallies became an excuse for people to voice their hate. I have watched in horror as clips from McCain/Palin rallies show people holding signs that say "TERRORIST" OR "OBAMA BIN LYING"........or a man holding a monkey, whose name...... well, I wont repeat the hate-speak.

I am not the only one who is disturbed about what we have been hearing from the Republicans. Everyone I know, friends, family, neighbors are disturbed by the Republican-lies-hate-fear-and-divide machine!

Last week a couple of Republican congress-people, dared to question the patriotism of fellow Americans, because we, do not agree with their politics!

These hate-lies-fear-and-division mongers, like Bachman, Shay, Menendez, O' Reilly, Hannity, Reagan, ......and the worst Limbaugh, forget the principles this Great Country was founded on!

WE have the RIGHT and the FREEDOM to disagree with our government! Disagreement does not equal anti-American!

When we start down that dangerous and slippery road of calling one another anti-American OR un-Patriotic, we are no better than the Nazis in 1930'-40's Germany!

The tactics of the Republican-lies-hate-fear-and-divide machine with their vile ads, their hideous robo-calls, remind me of the Nazis who lied over and over.........until they were allowed to kill the Jewish People and anyone else who would dare to disagree with them!

All we have to do is to look as how Limbaugh reacted to Sec. Powell's endorsement of Sen. Obama to KNOW that Limbaugh disdains anyone who would dare to disagree with him!

It was interesting that Limbaugh and the other-talking-heads demonized Sec. Powell for his choice of Sen. Obama........BUT.....when we, Roman Catholics, voted for President John F. Kennedy........NO ONE IN THE MEDIA CALLED CATHOLICS......BIASED!

Hypocrites.

October 22, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  9. Texas Doc

I am a doctor and would probably get fired/go to jail if I "amended" a patient's records after a complaint was filed. Why is Palin getting a pass on amending her records after the fact?

October 22, 2008 at 2:57 pm |