October 20th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/20/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t?  Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Liz from MI

So the McCain camp is feeling so desperate that they no longer feel that "liberal left", or "far left" is enough – now it's socialist. The sky is fallingThe sky is falling! Geez – give it a rest already, why don't they just say what they plan to do, instead of slamming Obama all the time. I'm sick of it, it's despicable

October 20, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

I think the Rev Wright Bill Ayers gets in the way of the McCain/Palin campaign, I love it when they open up and you actually get to see them. John McCain is so knowledgeable about foreign affairs, this really came out in the Town Hall debate, Sarah Palin has so much confidence and nerve, I bet she's good at working things out with a legislature, she just needs more time in the national spotlight, more experience talking to media

October 20, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  3. jen rose

What a great show tonight. Have a goodnight AC & Erica.

October 20, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  4. Big AL

Hey Ed, Powell didn't call niether one of them. So why would it be good to let one know and the other not too. They both heard at the same time. The problem that I'm having is that Gen.Powell laid out why he wasn't voting for Sen.McCain and that is what 65% of the country have been saying including Repugs and Dems.

October 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Shane, Las Vegas

I should have said not that you will ever see it but Good Evening All! LOL too funny!

October 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Subroto Dutta

While it's a good idea by AC360 to exposed these tope 10 shameless CEOs of America that bought this country to such a grid lock, there should be regulation here on job losses and lay offs. If a company executes lay offs due to poor performance of the company, it should be the CEO and other executives that should be laid off first...

October 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Peggy Allen

If Bay Buchanan is so determined we should know who Barack Obama really is, why is equal time not being given to who McCain really is?

What is his religious preference...I've never heard anything about it? He certainly has a reputation as being "hot tempered" and there are things in his past that he isn't proud of either.

Keep rabid Bay on the program and please bring her back for comments after the election!

October 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Ruth

Did Sarah Palin say that how one worships 'our' God should be respected? But if you call 'our' God Allah, that's certainly not good enough to be respected.

October 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  9. Saera El Paso,TX

good night everybody!

October 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  10. Rick

If McCain is as honest and respectful as he claims to be, then he will stop all this negative campaigning. If he can't win with his honor alone, then this country does not need him in the oval office. He will make a bad name for Palin.

October 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  11. Ania S.

Goodnight .....

October 20, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  12. dorothy

Does Bay really believe what she says?!

October 20, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  13. Janis

SNL was funny, Palin was not. I will pray for Obama's grandmother. Colin Powell got it right and gave an eloquent justification for his decision.

October 20, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  14. Quinette

Oooh yes the Moose getting shot was so funny!

October 20, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  15. jdoug

Love the show....see u 2morrow!!!

October 20, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  16. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Well, after this election season, I just might consider a jump! The "Shot" looks fun! Have a good evening. Nite all.

October 20, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Suzanne Curry

too bad this wasn't the Beat 360 shot. It could have been labeled, "the only way off the bridge to nowhere!" This is referring to the shot of the day

October 20, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  18. Maureen T

Good night Anderson and Erica! I'm going to get some rest now. See you tomorrow!

October 20, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  19. jane

How can Ms. Buchannan call Obama a Socialist and not recognize the reverse socialism caused by the money crisis and Wall St. buyout all caused by the trickle down Republican "socialists".

October 20, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  20. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

'Night Bloggers! Until tomorrow...

October 20, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Lino

My thoughts and prayers are with Senator Obama and his wonderful grandmother "toot". I wish him a safe trip there and back, and I hope she makes it....so she can see her "Barry" become number 44!

October 20, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  22. Linda S.C, Ontario, Canada

Sen. Obama you're doing the right thing in going to visit your grandmother. You'll make a remarkable president.

Re. David Gergen: Have always been very impressed with your comments. Such wisdom, knowledge and fairness.

Anderson, you're a cut above the rest also.
    Best wishes to you all.

October 20, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  23. ruthy

Tina Faye has been my favorite SNL person this year. All time favorite is Eddie Murphy

October 20, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  24. Shannon

I'm glad you are naming names of the people in the financial industry who are responsible for this mess. The people at AIG, with their fancy trips are the most disgusting of all. The thought of my tax dollars bailing them out, while they pheasant hunt in England turns my stomach

October 20, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  25. Lewis

Our prayers go out to you and your grandmother Mr.Obama.
    We are praying that your grandmother condition improves when you get to bed side
    may God keep and comfort you

October 20, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  26. Connie

What happened to the concept of separation of church and state????

And....freedom of religion????????

October 20, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  27. Patty

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these CEO's and profiteers should be prosecuted and deserve to lose their citizenship for doing our countries economy so much harm.

October 20, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Larry

re: Sarah Palin – She smiles, she winks, she appears on Saturday Night Live and wins people over, all the while breaking ethics laws and pushing a frighteningly strict, Christian fundamentalist agenda to reverse Roe V Wade, to constitutionally ban gay marriage, and who knows what else. What's the difference between the Devil and Sarah Palin? Apparently, just Lipstick.

October 20, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  29. Mark Briggs

Regarding Most Wanted List. I don't disagree there is plenty of blame and greed to go around. How about adding to the list the persons who borrowed high leverage home loans (some with no or little "skin in the game") who knew they couldn't afford them. At the end of the day, aren't we all responsible for our own actions?

October 20, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  30. Fjola, NC

Everyone needs to pick up the pace for Obama while he takes some private time to be with his Grandmother. Keep spreading the word and getting your people to vote Obama/Biden '08

October 20, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  31. Amy

I love this blog. God bless Anderson and Erica

October 20, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  32. Tina

Anderson thank you for providing balanced reporting. It is a pleasure to know that we get the facts on CNN.

October 20, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  33. Liz from MI

Anderson – the opening sketches on SNL this year have been absolutely spot on, as has the news. The rest of the show I can miss, and not feel like I've missed anything – but the political situation has made for perfect satire.

October 20, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  34. Angela Vancouver

I loved Amy Poehler's Sarah Palin rap...hilarious!

October 20, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  35. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

LoriAnn~ You are so wise and right. We should unite whomever wins.
    It will be difficult to support McCain but I'll try!

October 20, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Culprits? Crooks might be a better noun.

October 20, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  37. Don, WA

Well AC, my favorite SNL person is Dan Ackroid. (Hard for me to rule out Eddie Murphy and Chevy though, and look what became of Tom Hanks!.....or did you mean current SNL – no fav' there, just not the same).

October 20, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  38. Rick in Florida

Well, goodnight bloggers. I'm going off to dream of a society where people can disagree without hatred and promote unity rather than them and us. see y'all tomorrow

October 20, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Ann- WI

I agree with Ed. Wright is wrong at this time. It is all about the economy.

October 20, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  40. EJ (USA)

Her rap on SNL was funny. I actually got a kick out of the Moose getting shot!

yeah that was funny

October 20, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Fjola, NC

I believe that religion should be kept out of politics. It has no place. USA= Freedom of religion but that is not how it really goes, does it?

October 20, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  42. sam vero beach Fla.

Palin's religion never insulted the USA!!!

October 20, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Carl

I think the McCain campaigne should have Palin on Meet the Press or do more interviews instead of SNL (it was very funny) because if they want votes people need to know her. But I think Obama is great and I believe he will bring the country together as a nation. We need to stop the racism thoughts and come together but the better not for just us and our children but for the future or growth for our country. Stop the Mavericks ( Wink ) lol. Prayer and thoughts go with you Sen. Obama

October 20, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  44. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I agree with Ed Rollins. Colin Powell should have at the least let McCain know ahead of time. That was pretty low for someone who claims he's a friend.

October 20, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  45. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I hear ya Marylou~ Pain seemed clueless!

October 20, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  46. Brad

Bay,

They change their minds because they because informed. Will somebody please tell me what is wrong with being and intellectual. Our elected officials should be pragmatists and think carefully about their decisions.

October 20, 2008 at 10:44 pm |