October 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/16/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Erica Hill is off tonight but Jason Carroll will be doing the webcast so make sure you check it out. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Jason on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Patty

The candidates must be exhausted....I don't know how they do it.

October 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Kay

Ok Ok...I have to be fair. McCain was funnier than Obama! Fine McCain wins the best comedian title as long as Obama wins the President title 😉

October 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Carla

I am proud to say I'm a confirmed Gergenite. I'd suspected it all along, but from the moment he sat down on Colbert's hot seat, I knew I was hooked. It took Colbert a full minute before interrupting him . . . unprecedented! He's literate, intelligent, tough, fair, self-deprecating . . . and what a smile! Oh, be still, my heart! Go get 'em, David!

October 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  4. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Mesha..."Palin on SNL and McCain on Letterman – I guess since they can’t win on the issues, congeniality is the next best thing. To bad this campaign is for the White House."

Gosh, I didn’t even think of it like that but you’re aboslutely right! They’ve got to do something about the public’s perception of them.

October 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Ernie

Sen. McCain showed the country what class means at that event tonight, that was a time to have fun and be funny, not give a campaign speech, the way Sen. Obama finshed his speech, I guess he didn't get that memo..

October 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Shane, Las Vegas

Palin on SNL...I can't think of a better place for her, except Alaska! LOL

October 16, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Karen

OMG! I didn't think David Gergen could GET any cuter!!!!! I wish he'd blow a kiss at me. He really is the most dreamy, fair minded, astute pundit out there. *Sigh* I really hope he gets as much air time after the election as before.

October 16, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  8. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Mesha..."Joe the plummer is right on all the issues– immigration, Iraq. Seems like a guy I’d like to have a beer with!"

Gosh, I didn't even think of it like that but you're aboslutely right! They've got to do something about the public's perception of them.

October 16, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Amina from TN

its nice to see their humorous side sometimes, to remind us that they are human beings.

is it just me or is tonite's show just filled with humor?
    great show 🙂

October 16, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse NY

Mesha. In some areas up to 50% of ACORN voter registrations are suspect. We're talking hundreds of thousands. That's enough to tip the balance in a close state. They should all be thrown out.

October 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Linda E.

About David Gergen:

I'm so glad that he's being "recognized" tonight! Ever since he was part of the PBS Newshour, his segments and appearances have always been the highlight for me of whatever program he was appearing on. He is so steady and soft spoken~~~everyone else can yell and scream, but Gergen is the one people actually listen to!!

(((((((David Gergen)))))))

October 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Dennis Auve, Missouri

Mesha I could not agree more

October 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Love the webcasts tonight! Jason is too funny!

October 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Laura-- Wasilla, Alaska

David, you're right up there with my other two CNN heros: Anderson Cooper and Jack Rafferty.

That VOICE!! I'm a sucker for a guy who doesn't have to raise his voice above the shouts in order to be heard. Not to mention that your mind is a thing of beauty. Wow. I wish YOU were running for President.

–L

October 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Yvonne

Both Obama and McCain were hillarious!

October 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Shane, Las Vegas

Just another comment on Letterman and McCain, if you watch the interview it is easy to see that Letterman has not come close to forgiving McCain, and even as mia culpa as McCain was I don't think he should as he was used in a political stunt at Lettermans own expense... lowest of the low!

October 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  17. lpfoong, Malaysia

Oh oh! Watch your back Anderson Cooper. Sounds like David Gergen is going to make you pay for that.
    Thanks for the laugh. Needed it.
    Wasn't funny when I was almost robbed at the front of my apartment yesterday.

October 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Amy Caison

McCain was funny, but his sarcasm was off- putting. Obama's humor was more subtle. Obama spoke to my heart, and right now, that is what I needed. He is in touch with what is goign on, and was not there just tryign to impress fat-cats of New York. I was impressed. I can trust Obama with the future of my family. I cannot trust McCain with anything.

October 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Helen from Toms River, NJ

I'm loving the comedic banter back and forth between Obama and McCain tonight

October 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Barbara P.

Did anyone notice that Senator McCain was not laughing a Senator Obama? What a show of character for Obama to laugh at himself. This is why McCain is behind in the election. Obama shows strong character and to many an important factor when voting for president.

October 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  21. Mesha

Palin on SNL and McCain on Letterman – I guess since they can't win on the issues, congeniality is the next best thing. To bad this campaign is for the White House.

Gosh the next 19 days can't come fast enough...

October 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Jean Lum

Here I thought I was the only woman in love with David Gergen all these years!
    1st time blogger. 🙂
    Luv your show Anderson!

October 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  23. jane

Are Joe the Plumber and Joe Six Pack the same guy? Not bad coming from candidates who favor tax breaks for the big corporations.

October 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  24. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Regarding tonight's Top Ten list...we need Ralph Nader! It's a mistake to right him off.

October 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Hilda B., Dallas, TX

John McCain was really funny, he may have a career in comedy. He should start pursuing that immediately. John can make me laugh while on stage, while Barack helps me get a job while in the White House!!

October 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Susan Stinson

Hi,
    I have a crush on David Gergen. His observations are right on every time. I will never forget his comment about Bill Clinton living with Hillary in the White House during the Monica Lewinsky mess, " He looked like the dog that pooped on the carpet."
    I look forward to him, and you too Anderson, every evening.

October 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Tracey - Boston

I already e-mail David Gergen. Watch out anderson.

October 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Joan, O'Fallon, MO

I (heart) David Gergen too! His observations are objective, on point, thoughtful, and frequently funny. Ger-GENIUS!

October 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Selle

McCain was very good tonight and did out shine Obama in the 4th unofficial debate. Why couldn't he put that much thought and detail into prior three debates. He got the best response from the audience tonight.

Shelle

October 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Patti (Newport RI)

Wow. McCain's got jokes.

Don Rickles eat your heart out.

October 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Valerie

Anderson, what coup getting the female blogger on video crooning for David Gergen. You really nailed this one. I was just saying to one of my friends the day after the debate that I LOVE DAVID GERGEN! I love that when asked what McCain should do next he said "I have no idea" I love his calm demeanor, his well-modulated voice, and his fairness and imparitiality. The most emotion we ever saw out of him was the day after McCain picked Palin as his running mate, which was entirely appropriate - it was shockingly irresponsible and deserved a shocked response.

October 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  32. Fred

What is important is Obama's answer to Joe the Plumber's question. What does he mean spread the wealth around? So government is going to determine when a small business owner has made too much money. I know small business owners that work far more than 40 hours a week so they can have successful businesses. American should not be about lifting people up by tearing the successful down.

October 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Galib

Hi Anderson, just want to say that this guy David Gergen is so smart, i like listening to him, actually my first language is french because i am from Djibouti(i speak somali,arabic,french and a little bit of english), but. I understand this guy(David Gergen) when he is talking, just want to tell him , thanks for being alive, smart, we need more people like him in this world. i improved my english while listenin this guy and you, Anderson of course.
    God blesses CNN and the best political team(Dream team)
    Galib,B.Sc,Master in Project Management, from canada
    I support Obama

October 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  34. Randy

Anderson,
    As for culprits of this current downturn, you would be remiss if you didn't recognize the oil companies and their sucking off hundreds of billions of dollars from the economy. I know my friends and I talked at length how the gas prices would kill this economy. And it looks like it did. I bet if we add up all the profits over the last year, for all the oil companies, it will be close to a 700 billion, which funny enough is the amount we are "investing" in these banks who screwed up and bet their money on a loser.

Cheers!

October 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Sarah- Michigan

Mcain did well on Letterman but he could never top Obama and his Top Ten Campaign Promises. Hilarious!

October 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Jim Phoenix Az.

Anderson I believe you could add many more home builders to your List.

October 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  37. Angela in Detroit

Lots of humor tonight everywhere....nice spot on David

October 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  38. Ed from Canada

Where did Obama get all his cappaign money. I see someone from Acorn was charges for fraud

October 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Kay

I wonder what material Letterman will use now that he can't rip on McCain ditching him.

October 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Mesha

Okay I have to address the Acorn deal. I think this is another tactic to distract voters. What's the overall percentage of the bad registrations? What's the pay strategy for Acorn voter employees? Could this not be a result of bad and lazy employees? Is it not illegal for Acorn to disgard of any voter registrations – no matter the validity? Did Acorn not bring the registrations of concern to the county's attention? I think this is a tactic and it's really scary.

October 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Bill Pezza

Turns out that Joe the "Plumber" doesn't have a license . How come we require a license to be a plumber but no type of certification to become a republican vice presidential candidate?

October 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Terry

Mr. Anderson ... I so far agree with your culprit list ..I am hoping Fannie Mae and Freddie are on the list.

October 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Ed from Canada

On the Joe the Plumber thing Macain using this an example to show what will happen if Obama gets in

October 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Bridgid Rubin

OMG – I thought I was the only one in love with David Gergen! I am a true Gergenite. He is the most thougtful, articulate and intelligent political analyst on TV. I only watch CNN to hear his insights.

October 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  45. jacqueline

Thanks for the David Gergen bit...I thought it was just my daughter and I....and I am 53 and she is 28 and we BOTH LOVE DAVID......it is the voice, the calm low in charge ......you know that is sexy to most of us strong women, we want to think there is a guy out there that can really handle the world so we won't have to......xoxo's David....Anderson, still love you too.

October 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  46. elizabeth hamilton

I agree with the comments about david gergen. He is honest and commands attention when he speaks...

October 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  47. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

This story about this abusive developer/builder just infuriates me. Our financial "partners" have put their hands in our pockets through the government and then they turn around and stick their hand in the other pocket at the same time.

October 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Laura

As far as robo calls go, I don't answer them. Caller ID is awesome. Simply ignore the numbers you don't recognize.

October 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Clarence Albuquerque

Your ten most wanted sure brings us back to reality.

October 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Brandi-bottom of the boot

oh, i cant wait for you to get AC back, David!!! please make sure we get a heads up so we dont miss it. lol i'm thinking, you would think he would turn a much brighter shade of red as pale as he is, we need to get the deepest shade possible. lol

October 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |