October 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/16/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Erica Hill is off tonight but Jason Carroll will be doing the webcast so make sure you check it out. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Jason on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Rick in Florida

David, you are a good sport. Youn natural dignity only made it funnier

October 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Gina

Aren't we all going to be bored when this election is over? Will we still see David Gergen? I'll join the David Gergen fan club.

October 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Fay, CA

Do McCain and Palin think they can use humor to soften up their not so nice images in the final stretch of the campaign and possibly swing undecided voters their way? It's going to take a lot more than laughs for that to happen.

October 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Kris in GA

I look forward to David Gergen's quiet, sound reasoning on a nightly basis.... I've learned so much. I can't get home fast enough in the evenings to turn on the TV. It stays on CNN. Many thanks to all of you!

October 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

David Gergen: I have some ideas for AC payback, expect an email from me! Ha!

October 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Amy Caison

It is not an unusual circumstance. Mercedez homes in Arlingotn, Texas has done the same thing repeatedly.

October 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Danielle - Randolph, NJ

Yes Kate, agreed. Obama represents the average American person. I'm glad that he emphasized his tax cut for 95% of American workers in this last debate.

October 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Imani G. clinton, maryland October 16th, 2008 10:29 pm ET

Are you kidding me… Anderson is the one who inspired me to be a journalist. That’s why I watch CNN!
    I agree..... Imani...... He is best anchor..... he is only inspired me..... he is my favorite anchor......

October 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Kristen

I can't wait for Letterman.

October 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  10. mike in boston

senator mcain do you need joe the plumber for a bail out

October 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  11. mary a

okay so before i read everyone's comments about the GREAT and AWESOME david gergen, i just have to say that i love the daily beast and the whole i love gergen letter & video. jessi klein was it? i keep telling my dad to wake up and listen to gergen speak because he is the truth!!!!! and and and i saw him on colbert last week and he was so good i pee'd my pants. i'm so happy anderson and the 360 group did this for mr. gergen and his fans!!!!!

October 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Dusti - Oregon

How is it that the McCain campaign fails to do any sort of back ground on people they attach themselves to? First they pick a running mate under investigation (shocker) and then some guy who's a plumber and it turns out he's not a plumber and the guy owes back taxes. Someone is not doing their job.
    Has anyone in the McCain campaign heard of background check. They only cost on average $39.95.

October 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Clarence Albuquerque

Palin on SNL? McCain on Letterman? Soon AC will have Colbert playing the straight man.

October 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Barbara Glass

David Gergen for Prime Minister (oops, President!!!)

from a Canadian admirer (his commentary is always most thoughtful and interesting

October 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Tracy

Round them up and put them in jail! ACORN too!

October 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Bradley S (Knoxville, TN)

AC's computer is broke, so he cannot log on to the blog and so is the webguy Jason Carroll!

October 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Lee Walton

...watching David Gergen on CNN each night make fair and balanced comments is always exciting. However, watching David tonight blush and gush while listening to how sweet he really is, showing his beautiful dimples, no one knew he actually had was - "priceless!"

October 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  18. Patty

Letterman is the other David I love...

October 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Tracey - Boston

Anderson says to tell everyone that he is having problems with the pc AGAIN!!!

October 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Hector M. Willars, P.E.

Hi Anderson:
    How about assigning an investigative reporter on Joe the Plumber.
    It sounds like a set up by the McCain campaign to stir some trouble for Obama. Not shocked that he is not a registered plumber or even an apprentice. Funny that the trades council do not have any records on him!

October 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Jon

Anderson, those jokes are SO bad! I mean, licking?

October 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  22. kenny

I totally agree that David Gergen is the best Political mind on any televison network.I see why he worked for both political parties. I watched all the debates on CNNHD and always looked forward to hearing what Mr Gergen has to say.He is always spot on with his analysis.I really hope Mr Obama or Mr McCain whom ever wins will use him in their administration for the sake of this great country.Hey,by the Mr Gergen, the lady is very beautiful.

October 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  23. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Can you believe that Anderson pulled that surprise? When he has so many adoring fans! Now... please help me... what do you think we should do to Anderson in response? You can write to me at David_Gergen@Harvard.edu. (May blow the circuits at the university). Thanks... and still blushing.

October 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  24. CAROLYN JONES

anderson it would be nice if mcain was running for the comedian of the year, instead of president of these united states of america. to me times is just to hard to have a joker. we need a serious minded steady intelligent person like sen obama. funny just not happening for me. or anyone i know.

October 16, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Aly

CNN is my favorite TV News Network, I have to say that I enjoy watching all the programs. My daughter and I have saying how much we like David Gergen 's voice , he is always composed and very knowledgeable on politic issues, we <3 Anderson Cooper too!

October 16, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Maureen T

Nice to see Jason Carroll reporting the 360 bulletin. It's been along time! 🙂

October 16, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  27. Sharon Judkins

Oh my god! There IS just something about David Gergen. I'm a huge fan and always leave CNN on when I know he is going to speck. Love him. 🙂

October 16, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Helen from Toms River, NJ

David Gergen is awesome!! He needs his own fan club

October 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Nebraska Lisa

I was lucky enough to hear David Gergen speak when he was in Nebraska and have him sign my copy of his book, and he is just like he looks on tv – so polite and gracious to everyone and so fascinating! He is the best!

October 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Kate Hoff

If McCain wins over letterman i think i will be sick.

October 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Shane, Las Vegas

The entire Letterman interview of McCain is great and Letterman actually asked some of the most pointed tough questions that I have not heard most political reporters ask, ever so sometimes from the most unlikely palces can come honest inquiry. About Palin, his campaign's Obama smears, and stump speech crowds horrific comments. Someone should!

October 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Bradley S (Knoxville, TN)

David Gergen you rock, and I think you provide some of the best political analysis in the business and that goes for the entire team but the big three are the best, whcih are David Gergen, Gloria Borger, and John King! Great Job, CNN getting them on your alls team, and keep them!

October 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  33. David, Indiana

So many good points in this...ok forget what I was going to say...I have to say that I love David Gergen too and his thoughtful and insightful observations about politics government and the media, he makes sense of this wild campaign, all the primaries, the debates, and the presidential election as it's going on even now, and every dust up, crisis, and economic issue along the way

October 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Geegee October 16th, 2008 10:23 pm ET

Hi everyone,

First time blogger and am excited.

Hellooo Geegee,
    Welcome to Live Blog on AC360!!!! Have nice be here tonight!!!! 🙂

October 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  35. Kate

It was refreshing to see that Obama had no problem ripping on AIG and the other wealthy elite while I sit at home worrying about if I can afford to go to college or keep my home from being foreclosed on. This is a candidate who understands the average American.

October 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  36. holly

evening everyone! i just started blogging here also, and yes im sooo over "joe', im curious as to why some one who doesnt, hasnt, might not make 250 k a year is worried about paying taxes on non exsistant income? my boss sure is worried about that , then again, perhaps they could reinvest it in their employees? loves us some david here too! but Andersons our personal boo 🙂

October 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Amina from TN

no mccain didn't win over letterman, something tells me that letterman is still bitter about what mccain did to him, i can't believe he allowed him back

by the way loved the segment on David Gergan, too funny

October 16, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Ruth James

Yes, David Gergen is as objective as they come....he really helped me in deciding on who I am going to vote for.

October 16, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  39. sanja

I love David too. Out of all strategists he is most objectiv.

October 16, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Minou, New York City

rick in florida: thank you! Iv'e forgotten that existed. years ago, when i still had a land line, i've actually gotten a call like that once or twice... cell phones rock!

October 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Imani G. clinton, maryland

Are you kidding me... Anderson is the one who inspired me to be a journalist. That's why I watch CNN!

October 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Julie Warner

Couldn't agree more with the glowing Gergen comments! David's comments are insightful, honest, relevent, and intelligent. One of the main reasons I watch 360. Kudos to David G. for being confident, not arrogant or self-absorbed. He is an all-too-rare combo on television and (sadly) in this country.

October 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Monica UT

David, I don't like the competition! I, too, have a thing for your blushing cheeks. You should run for President. I believe anything you say...and wait for your answers to know what I think about the others!

October 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Nicky

Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one that love David Gurgen. I love his voice. I love how objective and intelligent he seems. He can pick sense out of nonsense and he never yells. Mr. Gurgen women love intelligent men that can remain calm.

October 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Cathy

OMG, I also thought I was the only in love with David Gergen!!
    Do you know! whenever he starts talking, if I am chewing something I have to stop. I just have to hear every word he says.

This is actually because I think his comments are always right on. Most analysts' comments are plain biased, I almost always know what each one will be saying even though they declare they are "independent" commentators, but David! David is the only one who is truly objective, and guess what, his opionions are the ones that I really listen to.

He keeps it real.

Thanks David,

October 16, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Laurie from Philly

YES, I LOVE DAVID GERGEN ALSO! He's brillient, he's objective and has a wondeful soothing voice. It makes him so attractive. Go David!

October 16, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Martha

Joe is a real plumber. He fixes toilets. Just because he doesn`t have a lic. doesn`t mean he`s not a plumber. I am a Mother, don`t have a licence for it, but I am one.

October 16, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Gina

I watch your show faithfully. I was so glad I was not alone to find out I wasn't the only David Gergen groupie. I loved the blog. It was great to see David blush. I believe he is the best political commentator around. I've learned so much from him

October 16, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  49. L. Branch

OMG...I totally feel the same way about David Gergen. He is the best!

I can't wait to see who will have him on the show. He is honest, smart and he tells it like it is.

I especially liked one of the comments he made last night after the debate.

L. Branch

October 16, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Kitty, Canada

Not sure who turned more beet red – David or Anderson? That was a funny segment – thank you for the ambush!! LOL

October 16, 2008 at 10:27 pm |