October 14th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/14/08

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblog.new.jpg]
For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • TV
  1. Susan (Barbados)

I am a new blogger and have been glued to AC 360 and the discussions on the US Presidential elections!!. I am really puzzled about what Sarah Palin's constant reference to "winning the war". What are the indicators of success? Are there really "winners" in a war? Clearly we can see who the loosers are- the people of Iraq, everyday (working and middle-class) Americans and the rest of the world.

October 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  2. Zachary in Chicago

Roland is right on! Dems sittin back thinking they have this thing won! I'm here to tell ya it aint over until Nov 5th!

3. Jim (Ohio)

Mike, Syracuse NY

Both candidates sugar coat their relationships, good and bad. There is a storied history behind Senator McCain. But what is accomplished by tearing Senator McCain?

4. carlos

I'm surprised to hear Gov. Palin saying she just would once like to hear Sen. Obama say he would like America to win the war. Does anyone really win in a war?

5. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Joe Johns has a great point. The candidates aren't telling us how any of their plans and policies will get paid for.

6. Gary

Anderson

John McCain and Sarah Palin continue to talk about patriotism, but Palin and her husband were members of an Alaska secessionist organization, that is extremely vial in its anti american stance. Now she and her husband want to lead this country that they want to withdraw from. ??????

7. Cyndi in Pennsauken

Hey Anderson and Erika! Nice to be in the mix! Democrats better stay on their toes. Now is not the time to get complacent. We don't have it "made in the shade". There is a lot of work still to be done. Sen. Obama wants to seal the deal and sweetin' the coffee. I'm on board with Senator Obama. His economic package looks good and I believe he will best lead the country. Eight is Enough! The republicans had their chance. Get out of the way and let someone else get the train going in the right (ha ha left) direction.

8. Angel-San Antonio, TX

Anderson, with the government buying stock for us, how does the people benefit from it and how would we get that money?

9. Amie Cuhaciyan, Sea, Wa

The ecomony is important, but I would also like to hear about issues like fighting world hunger, agriculture, and other social issues from our dear candidates.

10. Mark bronx NY

does Sarah Palin have any ideas and thoughts that are not talking points directed from the Republican Party regime...she still amazes me when she asks " who is Barak Obama"..who is she?..she is dangerous, and her stump speeches have done so much harm to our country with the hate and division she spews, ...I wish someone would call her on this issue

11. Jay

Why do our politicians become so negative. I didn't like Obama but the more I watch him, the more I like him. I am a life long republican and I had reservations about him but now I know that I will vote for him. The Palin pick and all the gimmicks has moved me away from Mcain

12. Clarence Albuquerque

I know that neither candidate can "fix the economy" in three weeks. The last several years have set the playing field for much of the confusion on Wall Street, but the "global economy" has had a lot more players that whoever is in the current headlines. Its going to take much more than either candidate alone.

13. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Joe Johns segment was very interesting. I want to hear how all the promises given will really translate into a concrete solution.

14. Kathy, Chicago

I voted also. You know Chicago, vote early, vote often.

October 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  15. Gary

It is amazing that people are not concerned about the FACT that Obama has a record of relationships with radical elements of our society. Do you think these relationships have had no influence on his thinking?

October 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  16. don

how mccain can still support the war expenses at time of economic crisis?

October 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  17. Brian Woznicki

Will we ever be adult enough to admit race, religion and gender WILL play a part in this election?

October 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Larry

Do I understand this?
    The government borrows $700 billion from taxpayers
    The government gives $200 billion to banks
    The banks loan the money back to the taxpayers, and charge them interest on their own money ?

October 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Karin - Canada

By now Sen. McCain must have realized that attacking Sen. Obama on character, e.g. bringing up Ayres won't endear him to the general public, his base excluded, as this strategy has already backfired on him. It is 2008 and not 2000 or 2004 any longer.

October 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  20. lynn

There are lots of things that Obama can bring up to counter Ayers like all of the lobbyists on McCain's campiagn, Keating Five.....big mistake to go there...

October 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  21. Kathy, South Miami

If Ayers is so bad, why is he teaching, is he teaching his students to be "terrorists", why is he allowed on boards, something must of changed, so let's drop it already

October 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  22. miguel gonzales

I just don't understand it,i just heard Anderson Cooper say,"what does Obama need to do mantain his lead' and all the questions that followed were about what Sen.MaCain needs to do and bringing up all these arguments about polls of past elections.Absolutely nothing was mentioned about what Obama should do.Come on guys,what's up with that.Maybe Anderson,Lou Dobbs and Campbell Brown should just join the MaCain/Palin on the campaign trail,their biases could not be more blatant.

October 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  23. Karl - Fairview Heights, IL

Good Evening – So Sarah Palin is the new Lynn Cheney? Roll her out, question patriotism and you know what comes next..."either you are with us, or against us (America)"

October 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  24. Kathy, Chicago

My daughter voted for the first time today! It was pretty cool. My son is home on Thurs and he will vote also.

October 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  25. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

What Republicans don't get is that tax cuts take a whole cycle to reach the poor and middle class, while public works projects (for example) are about jobs, and income, NOW!

October 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  26. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Erica, Anderson may have the fancy pic back but you have the fancy webcast mic so you go girl!

October 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  27. AJ JALLOH

I am a 26 year old new voter and like many other new voters am not familiar with the election process and the electoral college. Obama has inspired a record breaking amount of new voters. I am afraid that if obama was to win the popular vote and lose the electoral vote voters who don't quite understand will NEVER vote again, thinking they there vote doesn't really count. I for one would never vote again!

October 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  28. Alexander Higgins, Brick NJ

Anderson, like you just said "The election is all about the economy". Ayers is irrelevant and just a desperate attempt from a desperate candidate. Its all about J-O-B-S.

October 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  29. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Good to see you fueling the conversation tonight with your well-taken comments.

My hope is that tomorrow night we will finally have a free-wheeling debate that allows the moderator to press both candidates on the specifics about their plans for the future. So far, the rules for the debates - especially the second one - have handcuffed the moderators. We need a deeper, more substantive conversation with both candidates - let's see what tomorrow night brings.

Politically, this is the last big opportunity for John McCain. If Barack Obama wins again - third straight - this will put the Democrats in the driver's seat from here to the election.

Hope to see you tomorrow night!

October 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  30. Jason in Wisconsin

New blogger here..

David Gergen is the voice of reason on CNN. He seems to be the least partisan.

Love the show Anderson. Excited to be a part of tonight's blog.

October 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  31. Bob Elliott (Riverdale Md.)

Economics? Why can’t the banks refinance troubled mortgages that have been purchased in the last five years to a fixed rate 40 year mortgage this could help the home owner, banks and wall street. Relief now and later.

October 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  32. Whitney (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

If McCain brings up Ayers, it should be open season for Obama to ask about McCain fighting to close access to POW records and what he did in Hanoi to secure his freedom.

October 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  33. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica everyone blogging. If, as Candy Crowley says, McCain is taking it to Obama on policy that's a good thing. Good for McCain campaign. Good for Obama for sticking with the issues. This is an excellent discussion, I can't get out everything I like about it. Reasonable, down to earth, hard hitting

I hope you feel better soon Erica, bummer to have a cold

If Phil Gramm should be on the list so should the congress and president that passed his bill, Anderson, in my opinion, I don't like this list, the situation is too amorphous

October 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Yeah Erica,
    I agree!!!! 😉

October 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  35. Timothy, Maryland/DC/VA

You're doing a great job Anderson. Lived in DC going on 40 years. We definitely need a change in Washington. Not that all politicians are bad, no sir. It's just that Washington needs to be reengineered to become more effective and efficient in our current environment.

I can't wait until we can all unify. All parties. I'm thinking Obama might be our guy to lead the change.

Your thoughts?

October 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  36. Dawn, Ca

If McCain continues with Ayers attacks, doesn't he open himself up to questions about his transition team adviser William Timmons?

October 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Brandi-bottom of the boot

haha...economic 'trash talk'. i like it. 🙂

October 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Jessica Medrano

YAY AC! lol

October 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Alfred

Why is Obama so afraid to admit that he has a relationship with Bill Ayers?

October 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  40. Lisa

It will backfire on McCain if he attacks Obama. When will they get that we don't care about it. Obama has taken the high road and I hope he continues to do so.

October 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  41. ebony

I hope Obama really tells the American people about just how bad McCain's record is and how McCain hardly even shows up to even vote!

October 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Jacque (Georgia)

Is it me or does McCain's 'new speech' resembles Obama's 3 weeks ago?

October 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  43. lynn

It is the electoral map and Obama has so many different ways to win that he and McCain would have to do something major to effect all those states.

October 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Shannon

I would like to state that these polls are also showing that not only is McCain going negative backfiring, so is his selection of Governor Palin.

October 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Marie

I love when people say where is the money going to come from to pay for things. We have been paying billions in over spending and needless spending. Take some of that money like Obama is proposing to pay for what the people of this country acutally need. There will always be money spent for something period.

October 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Rachel, Memphis, TN

Not sure about you guys but im kinda sick of hearing about Bill Ayers!

October 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Anne

I think John McCain is not takinginto consideration that a cut in capital gains tax doesn't mean a whole lot to people that don't have any capital gains.....

October 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  48. John from Tennessee

Where do Ms. Palin get off saying that Barack doesn't wan't America to win?? I got friends over there in thewar now and I want them to win but I also want them to come home alive. And if we keep them in Iraq for more time we are only saying that we lost already..

October 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Michael, Springfield PA

McCain talks about crossing party lines
    Obama comes out with his economic plan. McCain slams it.
    McCain comes out with his economic plan. Obama though not fully endorsing it praises McCain for some good ideas.

Now who is the true Bipartisan. Who is really concerned about the American People? Looks like Obama.

October 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  50. ericacnn

AC with the fancy pic – nice! He's back in action

October 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |