October 13th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/13/08

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Pat

Kieth

With the help of a Democratic Congress we can write the tax code.

October 13, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  2. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

THANK YOU David Gergen: "...the selling of hatred..." You couldn't have defined this poor behavior better.

October 13, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  3. Yvonne

John Lewis knows about the scent of hatred and racism more than anyone else. I believe his personal experiences caused him to say what he did. His words were a bit strong but there was truth in what he said so I give him a pass.

October 13, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Mike (USA)

Yes, Gergen!! Thank you!!

October 13, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  5. lynn

Funny there is an interview with the boyfriend and not the candidate!!

October 13, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Bob Torres, Miami Beach, Florida

Hi Erica... can you please expound on this Tuesday Theory of yours? (It's coming up pretty fast!) 🙂

October 13, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Sasha

Hi there,

This is my first time posting but I watch every night!
    I am wondering why no one has made a bigger deal of Sara and Todd Palin's affiliation with the Alaskan Independence Party.

October 13, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Mike (USA)

Why did McCain just begin to correct his supporters? Why didn't he correct those who called Obama a terrorist?

October 13, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  9. allison

At least the McCain campaign has toned down their negative rhetoric. It was a little too much last week.

October 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

When time permits.. which is about once every couple weeks. But it’s ok – we still love him anyway.
    EJ,
    I agree with you.... he sometime join his blog, not much time for him.... that's ok.... we love him too..

October 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse NY

There is some truth to the comment on the fundementals of the economy being strong. If the market can be down 10% one day and up 11% the next, it's clear that the fundemental value of those companies are not changing that fast. It's a panic mentality. GE is still GE and still has the same economic power day by day. If only 2% of the nations mortgages are in default, that means 98% are sound. This is far from the depression when 25% of the mortgages failed.

October 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Virgil Stay

Thank you David Gergen!!!! It is the candidate that is responsible for the direction of his campaign. This is also a reliable indicator as to the method of governance. Obama is a 'so-so' candidate but he has order and a consistent message coming forth. McCain's campaign has been all over the place, and it appears that he cannot control the environment at his (or surrogates) rallies. This is what scares me the most – If there is an incident that requires diplomacy, and instead the base wants him to attack, will he automatically go along with the mob.

October 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Jane

Saying/shouting "God Bless America" does not make you a Christian or a Patriot. It comes so easy to say it. It takes great strength and knowledge to know how to bring it to life in our government. Obama understands this. Palin and McCain don't.

October 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Leslie

Oh Boy!! Voter fraud! Guess we don't want to talk about 2000 or 2004 do we Sarah?

October 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Bert

Do conservative Republicans truly appreciate Hank Williams Jr indorsement?

October 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  16. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

My God, these ppl at the Palin rallies are so ignorant, hateful, and myopic. She's been the biggest mistake of McCain's political career.

October 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Terry

We do not need another bailout for Obama's political platform..good for you Katy...this involves 2% of the population...I paid for my houses ....the housing market has been overvalued for too long...credit standings were watered down....based on two incomes in a country who have a divorce rate of 50%. I saw it in my family with all these young kids getting these huge houses within a short period of time....they knew the contract they signed... No more welfare state.

October 13, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Lina

Will McCain run the country as he has runned his campain? Shifting from one strategy to another? The current buz word is "fight" . Fight for what?, for who? How?

October 13, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  19. CurtisJo

Ron, As more people HAVE JOBS, more taxes will be collected. That is what will put more $ in the hands of the spenders. Cutting taxes, in the manner that Bush has done, has been proven not to work.

October 13, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Brandi-bottom of the boot

@ EJ, much better put. he is quite busy.

October 13, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Keith

No matter what McCain or Obama say about what they are going to do about taxes it's all a bunch. According to the U.S. Constitution (anyone ever read that) the President of the United States CANNOT raise or lower your taxes – only congress can levi taxes! The President can merely sign or Veto the bill. He does have a bully pulpit to try to push his policies/ideas, but, ultimately the congress writes the tax code.

October 13, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  22. David, Indiana

Yes Sen. Obama does seem to be a step ahead, but McCain found his voice again recently and over the weekend the overall campaign has brightened quite a bit and voters need that

October 13, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Paula

Why does McCain and Palin never speak about anything other than war and fighting.I thought he wanted his campaign to be about honor.His behavior is not honorable when he allows his running mate to stand out in public and incite fear,hate and possibly cause problems.

October 13, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Shelley

Obama needs to be held accountable for the liberal celebs who say mean things about Sarah Palin if McCain is going to be held accountable for what a few people in his rallys say. Fair is Fair.

October 13, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Robin

Anderson,

I find it interesting that Palin stopped her stump speech to call out people who she thought were protesters, but would calm down people at her rallies that yelled out "terrorist" and worse.

Ignorance just feeds ignorance.

October 13, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Mike- Houston, TX

AC & Erica, 2 things
    1.Should i call it Wall Street's worst nightmare?
    or 2. Will Wall Street nightmare come to an end?

October 13, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Chaz

AC,

I can't believe that acronym definition for S.A.R.A.H!
    What is this country coming to?

October 13, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  28. EJ (USA)

Those people in Richmond sound like the ones here in Ohio.

That's why I hardly ever go outside...

October 13, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Maureen T

I wish Sarah Palin's supporters would educate themselves and find out the real facts before they make a fool of themselves!! Obama

October 13, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Toni Illinois

How about a 3 month moratorium on mortgage payments, to be added on the end of everyones mortgage. People can pay down their debt and those who don't have debt might buy stuff, all good for the economy,

October 13, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Dana, Michigan

I brought my home 15 years ago and when I went to brought my home there was some many regulations, requirement, and rules that had to be met. People just did not only abuse or buy more house, but use more credit than needed. This was a credit buying country and no one one believes in ownership any more!!.

October 13, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Ann- WI

The candidate is responsible for the selection of his staff, the strategies employed by the campaign and the tactics utilized within the strategies.
    Most days I feel that John McCain just doesn't get that it is "his" campaign.

October 13, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Carol

If there is a concern about credibility at AC360 (as I assume there is from the program's typical high standards), perhaps you should reconsider giving airtime to the political views of the GOP VP candidate's daughter's boyfriend. I am quite sure there are any number of people who can elucidate the topic for us, without the tabloid-esque flavor of this "report".

October 13, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I really don't think supporters of either candidate can claim the moral highground. I've heard terrible things from both sides. Tolerance is needed.

October 13, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Yvonne

If Sarah Palin can’t tell the difference between her supporters and her foes or her friends and her enemies, how will she be able to tell the difference between America’s friends and enemies?

October 13, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  36. Anne

Great news on the economy but we still need many weeks / months maybe years to recover. As far as the election goes – has anyone voiced an opinion about the electoral college? As a former republican, now "undecided" I feel like my vote won't count if I vote democratic in a "called" red state. Meaning, a state that always votes republican doesn't allow me to truly vote for the candidate of choice because the electoral college will decide how my state will cast it's vote. Isn't it time to move towards the popular vote?

October 13, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  37. EJ (USA)

Does Anderson participate in the blog?

When time permits.. which is about once every couple weeks. But it's ok – we still love him anyway.

October 13, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Brandi-bottom of the boot

@ ariel chavez - rarely, but sometimes we get lucky.

October 13, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I agree with David Gergen too.

October 13, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  40. lynn

McCain is a different person every day; he should have laid out an economic plan today; he seems always one step behind.
    I think part of the problem is he doesn't really have a base. I also think Plain is responsible for their lower numbers.

October 13, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  41. Karin - Canada

Mr. Gergen... you hit it on the head... the candidate is the one that is running his campaign... blaming his campaign staff doesn't speak well for the candidate as a leader.

October 13, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  42. kim-chicago

Roland,
    I totally agree...we've been there...done that...with the whole fighter thing. John McCain's biggest problem is that he can't quite figure out what it is he is fighting for.

October 13, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  43. Nick

I loved Clinton's line the other day about the Bush's....She's certainly a funny campaigner. She is missed out there on the trail.

Cindy, I agree...just because the stocks were UP one day...the credit crisis still ISN'T solved. We still have phoney cronies running banks, US banks and even the government.

October 13, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  44. Rick in Florida

I don't believe John McCain is any kind of hatemonger. I respect him for his courage in adversity and service to the country. Unfortunately he's a good man with a bad plan. This Independent is voting Obama/.Biden.

October 13, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  45. EJ (USA)

I’m glad you guys finally started introducing Roland Martin as an Obama supporter. It has been blatantly obvious for 6 months while he pretended to be an impartial journalist.

For as long as I can remember, Roland Martin has said he's an Obama supporter. You just weren't listening.

October 13, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  46. Michelle, Washington, DC

Good Evening Erica, Anderson and Bloggers,

It's apparent that McCain has no vision for the United States of America, except to become President of the U.S.A. I am very disappointed that he won the Republican party's nomination...

He and Palin have even stirred up so much hatred in America. I agree with Mr. Lewis' comments.

October 13, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Alex Corral

Whatever happened to old campain promise I WILL BALANCE THE BUDGET. not gonna happen

October 13, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Pat

Can we just stamp “Need A Bailout” on our return?

If the solutions don't work we will all need a bailout! Get ready to tighten your belts a little tighter.

October 13, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  49. ericacnn

Ha, Keith – I actually have a theory that Tues is the toughest day of the week...

October 13, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  50. John from Tennessee

Hey people I mean with the economy and the DOW stocks going up today doesn't mean it will fix the government soending. For the past seven days the stocks have been going down but the week before the stocks were trumbling up and down. The economy still hasn't rebounding were it really matters. I still haven't herd these candidates say how they going to fix anything. And the fact that McCain is getting hammered hard on the economy should tell people to realize that he might sound good on some things but for the economy he has no Idea.

October 13, 2008 at 10:30 pm |