October 13th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/13/08

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. cindy

The comment made at a McCain rally, "he's an arab." Is somewhat unnervving as it was being as if it is a bad word. For the record not all arabs are terrorists and being an arab is not a bad thing

October 13, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  2. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Glad to see so many of you joining the conversation tonight and appreciate your words of support about the need for the McCain/Palin campaign to repudiate the hateful statements at their rallies with the same force that John McCain showed tonight in repudiating the wrongful comparison between himself and George Wallace. John McCain is a better man by far than Wallace - but he would be better still if he equally said it was unacceptable for his supporters to be giving voice to hatred at GOP ralies.

Barack Obama remains Mr. Steady - he really does seem to be on cruise control, doesn't he, and so far, it is working. He is now entering his third week with a significant lead. It is hard to know whether his lead is solidifying in his favor, but the longer it goes, the more likely that is the case.

Love the vigorous views all of you express here.

October 13, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  3. maria

I want to echo "Medo's" comment – please talk about McCain's statement to the woman at the rally, when he said (about Obama), "No, he's not an Arab, he's a good, decent man" (insinuating that if you are an Arab, you are not good or decent). Did McCain just forget to put the word, "and" in his sentence, or does he really have this negative bias about a whole segment of the population?

October 13, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Ed-tyler.tx

can someone tell me who the pastor name is or if there is a site with that video availible on line.

October 13, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Jim Makris, Chuckey, TN

I applaud your selection of Phil Gramm as one of the ten most responsible for this financial debacle, and nominate Alan Greenspan for this group of ten. He fought relentlessly against any regulation of the financial or real estate markets.

October 13, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Good night Anderson, Erica and best bloggers.......
    Have a great night!!!! Sleep tight!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    Day of the shot with contest people!!!!!!!!! I can't doit myself!!!! no WAY!!!!!! lol!!!!! Congrats for him!!!!!

October 13, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Kelly

Anderson,

I agree with your current list of the "Culprits of the Collapse" but I hope you include either Christopher Dodd or Barney Frank as one of the culprits. Their influence on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac was instrumental in the current collapse.

If they are excluded then your COTC program is a sham just like the subprime mortgage contracts.

Kelly

October 13, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Joel S.

People are overreacting to the large gain today. I'm glad to see more confidence in the investor's decisions, however I do feel like it will be short lived.

October 13, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Sheree

Thank you so much Roland for saying what I have been feeling for several years now. If you confess Jesus as your Lord and Savior you are a Christian. Right wing Republicans in my life have contended that you have to vote republican if you are a Christian. I am totally sick of their position, just like the Pastor at the Palen Mcain rally on the news today. I could go on..but it's a blog. Right on Roland!!! Sheree in San Diego.

October 13, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Karen

Thank you for finally naming former Sen. Phil Gramm as one of the culprits of this financial mess–Frankly a little late, but better late than never.

October 13, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Andria

So, escentially, what Ed Rollins was saying is that you are nobody 'til somebody hates you. Both candidates are 'somebody' in this crazy election. Hopefully these are growing pains we feel as we evolve as a country.

October 13, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  12. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

As always, another great night on 360! Eating as a sport? Ugh and Barfo!

October 13, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

A pizza eating Shot of the day..Plop, plop, fizz, fizz..Oh what a relief it is..Pass the Alka Seltzer. Election heartburn is a killer. Night all..Good Monday evening

October 13, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Shika

You know it disturbs me that they say that Levi planned on marrying Bristoal before she got pregnant... this is something that almost every teenager in America says about the person they are dating... they think that love lasts forever so of course they wanted to get married... that doesn't make it true...

October 13, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  15. Barrie

So Erica told us what Levi said about the palins.
    Too much going on but we are all ears for your whole hour.
    Good Night

October 13, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Judy Stage/Brooklyn MI

Hi Anderson. I love the 10 most wanted list. Your job as a reporter is to keep them honest and you are doing it. If the media did more to keep these politicians honest we might see more transperancy in governing our country.

October 13, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  17. Bert

Will the 10 most wanted ever get indicted for their crimes before the Grand Jury? I don't think so.

October 13, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  18. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

WOW! Thanks 360! Now I can blame Phil Graham (how appropriate) for this economic mess! Another example of how out-of-touch and inexperienced McCain is on the economy.

October 13, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Arthur

Roland, I have to agree with you. That Pastor should be ashamed for making such comments made!!

October 13, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Dianne

I agree with Roland. Barack Obama is a Christian & the scenario with the Pastor praying at McCain's rally is totally out of line.

Also, that Pastor is preaching hatred towards other religions.

The McCain campaign is totally out of line.

Thank God John Lewis called them out on this hatred & anger speech. Enough is Enough!

October 13, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  21. John from Tennessee

Acorn may or moy not be voting registration fraud but it goes on both sidesof the election, not just Obama. Just because they endorse someone don't make them bad for that person the same way McCain is endorsed by 7 lobbyist doesn't make the republican campaign bad. It the message from the candidates itself that is harming McCain.

October 13, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Ron

I don't see where the kids should be drawn into a political race. There are enough issues to debate rather than bring children into this.

October 13, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  23. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Is Sarah Palin abusing her power by forcing this kid to marry her daughter? I guess we know who wears the pants in the Palin household...(whimper, whimper...)!

October 13, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  24. Jane

I agree with David Gergen. If McCain can get mad at Sen. Lewis for his words, why can't he subdue Palin's attacks? Also, as David Gergen said, it is the candidate who is responsible for the tenor of his/her campaign. It would be helpful to McCain if he would take more responsibility for the direction his campaign, and quit hiding behind Palen's skirt. After all isn't McCain suppose to be Mr. Macho American?

October 13, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

How happened in fire Southern California??? Will fire still burning right now? I need to know in California.

October 13, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  26. kim-chicago

I don't think Lewis was comparing McCain to George Wallace...he was comparing the environment of hate. This is evil roaring it's ugly head and the republicans need to stop it.

October 13, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Ingrid

You couldn't have said it any better Roland! As a Christian, I am ashamed of that pastor as well as Palin's behavior that is helping to create more anger!!! Very dangerous and un-becoming to the US and EVERYONE around the world is watching...

October 13, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Brandi-bottom of the boot

I do get a sense of hate from the McCain/Palin crowds, especially the one interviewed tonite. I'm so tired of hearing that kind of stuff. That has made me shift straight into reverse where McCain's campaign is concerned.

October 13, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Labreeze

Anderson I love your show ! keep up the good work.

October 13, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Cathy, Chicago

THANK YOU DAVID GERGEN.....

Finally someone states the obvious. McCain shold reject and denounce all the hate statements by his supporters. But it will never happen

THE REPUBLICAN DOUBLE STANDARD IN FULL EFFECT!!!

October 13, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Paul

John Lewis said it felt like the hatred of that time period to him, no one can say he is not qualified to say what he said, because he lived it.

October 13, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  32. Rose

I have a son to be 17 year boy... and I think this pair, Levi and Bristol, are no role models for your young adults. Putting aside their teenage pregnancy, now I read that Levi is dropping out of High School. How appropriate that he didn't register to vote for his future mother-in-law, obviously he has a problem with responsibility.

October 13, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Laura

Shelley-

I do agree that the candidates should not be held accountable for what other people say at their rallies. However, when your running mate is the one who says some of the atrocities then it is fair game.

October 13, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  34. Cheryl from Minnesota

McCain and Palin seem to be encouraging hateful reaction at their rallies, the two of them sound very racist to me and I do not like it at all. I feel they will divide our country.

October 13, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  35. lpfoong, Malaysia

Wow, those Sarah Palin's supporters are hard headed and can be pretty scary.
    When their minds are set, nothing can sway them from what they want to believe not even the truth.

October 13, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Ann- WI

David Gergen is right. McCain and Palin are responsible for tamping down the hate speech being ginned up at these rallies.

October 13, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  37. Patty

Those Palin rallies were out of line.

Gergin is right, McCain didn't go far enough to repudiate the hate
    at the ralies.