October 10th, 2008

Obama tried to sway Iraqis on Bush deal

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/10/art.talabani.obama.jpg caption="Presidential candidate Barack Obama talks to the Iraqi President Jalal Talabani in Baghdad, Iraq, July 2008."]

Barbara Slavin
The Washington Times

At the same time the Bush administration was negotiating a still elusive agreement to keep the U.S. military in Iraq, Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama tried to convince Iraqi leaders in private conversations that the president shouldn't be allowed to enact the deal without congressional approval.

Mr. Obama's conversations with the Iraqi leaders, confirmed to The Washington Times by his campaign aides, began just two weeks after he clinched the Democratic presidential nomination in June and stirred controversy over the appropriateness of a White House candidate's contacts with foreign governments while the sitting president is conducting a war

Read More...

Filed under: Barack Obama • Raw Politics
  1. Delmar Jarman

1929 the stock market crashed.Calvin Coolidge was president from
    1923 to 1929. He was a republican. Herbert Hoover followed him
    from 1929 to 1933. He was a republican. Franklin Roosevelt and
    Harry Truman served from 1933 until 1953.They were both democrats.
    It took the democrats that long to clean up the mess.Now Bush yet
    another republican has put us in another mess. Do you see a
    trend here?

October 13, 2008 at 3:48 am |
  2. James Dylan

Was Obama's much publicized trip not a fact finding mission as was claimed? Oh say it ain't so. I believe David Gergen also pointed out this same alarming point, that it lends one to believe he is meddling in, or undermining, white house and national security affairs, what seems like years ago now. Then there is the point of Obama's disagreement with US military leaders about the danger of early withdraw from Iraq. I guess that wasn't the fact he was looking for and also decided to undermine our military leaders as well. The history of the world has shown such practice to be catastrophic, whither it be an individual or a country. I'm sorry but I find the smear tactics of both campaigns followers simply annoying compared to the damage which can manifest when a smear is improperly labeled. Of course recalling The Boy Who Cried Wolf renews my contempt for smears as no one can agree when the wolf is truly here anymore.
    I was overwhelmed by the lack of American intelligence with the election of Bush twice and now equally so at the chance of an Obama administration. Perhaps Rome is burning and our current experiment on civilization is proving faulty. Decadence is slowly setting in and revolution is on the hundred year horizon. I'm no soothsayer but I see what I see and we're at a pivotal point in ideology. Would it not be ironic if Bill Ayers opened his front door to the sight of a fire bomb?

October 13, 2008 at 2:33 am |
  3. Steph

A private conversation? Was Barbara Slavin hiding behind the flag or under the coffee table??? I could say Sarah Palin told the president of Pakistan that he should continue to hide Osama bin Ladin in their private conversation. How do you dispute either claim???

October 10, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  4. KB,NC

A nother fine example of the shady side of Obama. He can sit down with the enemy but he cannot visit the troops. Anyone voting for this hood is not a true American. The unfortunate thing is that you will be taking the rest of us down with you. When you no longer have guns or rights, do not whine.

October 10, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  5. Anesa

Another Republican moving to the other side. I can no longer tolerate the visciousness, hate, lies and just evil spirit behind John McCain!!! I want to live in a country where there is some civility. I am embarrassed to witness this behavior and ashamed as to how we must look to the world. McCain -enough already!!!!!
    Does the truth mean anything to you???? Or, is winning everything. What must I be thinking – of course it is – you picked Sara Palin didn't you?

October 10, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  6. Marla Oklahoma

Should this not be considered treason for Obama? He was trying to undermine the position of the US Government and President Bush.

October 10, 2008 at 9:16 pm |
  7. Kent, Illinois

If I was a leader from another country I'd wait and talk to Pres. Obama too. Today McCain defended Obama against some of the hate mongers he allowed to talk at his rally. That's great. But, why are you inciting this violent behavior in the first place McCain?

October 10, 2008 at 8:49 pm |
  8. Leslie

I am in agreement with comments above from peggy..... I believe it is fair to form opinions about someone based on others he or she has been associated with. As a registered Independent, I do try to look at both candidates as carefully as possible..... and I will not vote for Obama.

I wish the media would focus less on race and age and focus a bit more on the fundamental differences between larger government and less government.

October 10, 2008 at 8:36 pm |
  9. Diane N.

What lies, it happened on camera when he was there for the whole world to see? I never trusted the man from day 1, but CNN won't publish this post because it's not in Obamas best interest...heh

October 10, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  10. Frank

It’s a politician’s job to meet with other countries, wake up people; you should be expecting our leaders to meet with other countries, especially those who are threatening us. Are you saying we should just stare at the countries we don’t like? That’s a stupid Bush policy for dealing with the big meanies of the world. It may be easier to offer the simple minded people who agree with Bush’s policies an analogy, so here goes… When there is a big man in a room, listening to a little man shout, threaten and complain about the big man, what is the best way to change the little man’s conduct? Should the big man sit there and stare angrily at the little man, or get up and talk to him about their differences?

October 10, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  11. Maria Merrick

I'm very scared for our country. I can't believe that people will be voting for Barak Obama. How scary is that!! I have always said " show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are".
    Vote McCain!!!!

October 10, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  12. Judy

That is one scary man we have running for president. You have to remember that behind Obama and his cool talk is a man who was once hired to teach young employees radical ideals. If people did there due diligence on this guy, and look back at his past political and religious practices they would run far far away. We get so wrapped up in the fluff and not the facts of this mans past. Why do so many radical organizations support Barrack Obama? Easy question to answer because deep down inside Mr. Obama is very radical. The man went for years to a radically racist church. Just watch the videos on his pastor who he listened to and supported for many years before dropping him like a hot potato. Just look into some of his past relationships with radical organizations and individuals and you would be disgusted at how off balance this man is. The facts are out there you just have to look it up or you can continue to listen to Holly Weird and there pack of lies.

October 10, 2008 at 7:56 pm |
  13. Connie

He makes one trip to Iraq and doesn't talk to the General in charge of our troops and he is initiating policy talks with Iraq. That does not sound very "Presidential" to me.

October 10, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  14. gerry

Here is a perfect example of how McCain milks the media and gets them to carry his smear mail on Barack Obama.

Come on Anderson, you're smarter than this, don't let the McCain campaign bambozzle you or hoodwink you.

October 10, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  15. David Smith

I am pretty sure I heard about this a month ago, or so, and reserved judgement until I could get corroboration of the facts. Then I saw it as having been debunked, yet now we see it again? Is this going to be like the claim of the McCain campaign that the Obama campaign and DNC put 30 lawyers on the ground in Alaska just after Governor Palin was chosen as running mate?

October 10, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  16. Marty

I'm tired of the lies McCain/Palin put out why can't we be professionals & decent individuals & stop character attacking! I was prior supporting McCain but this negativity is gonna cost him the election!!!!

October 10, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  17. Tim

I first heard this story over a month ago but like all the rest they seem to get little or no attention from the mainstream press. It's amazing to watch such dishonesty in journalism.

October 10, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  18. gerry

Another smear tactic from the GOP.

October 10, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  19. JT

This is an example when Obama say he will talk to anyone without pre conditions.

Without preconditions this is Obama's way of doing business.

Too risky.

Vote McCain.

October 10, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  20. bill

suprised ?

October 10, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  21. Peggy

I am sorry but I think the people one associates with are an indication of the person you are the values hold, and as a Democrat before the primary as Obama was a new person on the scene I did extensive research on him. I googled him and found out about the Saul Alinsky, Acorn, Rezco, Ayers, Rev. Wright stuff on my own. (I might add I found about Hillarys infatuation with the Socialist Alinsky also and was not pleased), however if you can sit in a racist church for 20 years, be affiliated with a terrorrist like Ayers who's agenda and values are so far removed from my belief in what one should hold ideal, family, education, self reliance. I find it offensive that you would sit on a board in which you help him (Ayers) disperse 60 million dollars for his so called education plan which did not focus on things I find important, Reading, Math, Science but instead want to radicalize students against there parents school, etc. I do not think Obama's friendship with Rezco is inconsequential when he represented the people living in Rezcos Slums and did nothing to make him address the conditions the people he represented were living in when he could have influenced him.So by doing my own research I have come to the conclusion that while Obama can make a pretty speach, change his mind and discard people in his past when it is politically expedient he shows me that his lack of resolution and socialist leanings do not inspire me to vote for him and I choose the lesser of two evils, McCain may not be the ideal candidate but I do believe he has a strong desire to serve his country. Again I truly believe Obama is a Trojan Horse and that my Party has let me down promoting a candidate whose past associations I find personally repugnant, and whose lack of experience I find frightening. Obama may have gone to the best colleges and can be touted as very bright but for a person described this way he has made in my opinion some Very poor choices.I do not like what I have found out about his past, I feel he has not been vetted by the Media who instead chose to tear Clinton down while annointing this neophyte.

October 10, 2008 at 1:14 pm |
  22. David W., Florida

What's the purpse of this article? If Obama really overstepped his capacitiy of the Senate Arms Committee, don't you think the Whitehouse and others would have been all over him right away. I think the overall suggestion in this article is highly suspect.

October 10, 2008 at 1:12 pm |
  23. Mike, NC

Two things...first, it sounds like this is lacking any substantiation. I mean, there are no hard facts or stories of what was discussed. Secondly, if they are happening, isn't Obama a little out of place discussing such subjects with these foreign leaders...he isn't president yet (thank God).
    To me, this sounds like a lot of spin and political garbage right now, still to early to tell for sure.

October 10, 2008 at 1:05 pm |
  24. Marine Vet

This is another example of Obama's meddling in national affairs where he has no authority but a lot of loads of stupidity. Reminds me of the politicians meddling in Vietnam Military tactics. .. . . Anything for a win–he has the morals of an alleycat and the same breeding!!!

October 10, 2008 at 1:04 pm |
  25. Papasan in Arizona

Total fabrication of the Republican Party. Barbara Slavin is sand-bagging for Mcain / Palin, nice try!

October 10, 2008 at 1:02 pm |