October 9th, 2008

Taking more questions LIVE tonight!

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/09/art.questions.wallst.jpg]

Have unanswered questions about what the financial market turmoil means for your wallet, retirement, mortgage, or job?

Submit them to us here, we'll be taking more questions live tonight on AC360° tonight at 10p ET.

Read Suze Orman's answer's to last night's questions.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Economy
  1. Edward Fernandez

Come April 15, 2009, Americans should refuse to file income tax returns as our way of protesting the criminal negligence and incompetence of our elected officials. Be sure to pad the w-4 form so no tax can be deducted. Can the IRS jail one hundred million protesters?

October 9, 2008 at 7:32 pm |
  2. Lisa

I would like to know why we keep giving money to AIG? I read that just today we are giving them an additional 37.5 billion....WHY? Why are we continuing to bail out the people who got us here in the first place. What about us middle class Americans trying to put food on the table and pay our bills. It frustrates me to no end that the CEO's of these companies are walking away with millions while the majority of Americans are losing their homes and jobs. Why????????? Can anyone answer that question?

October 9, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  3. James, New Californian

My mortgage old company (Countrywide) left me no choice but to return my home to them. This could have been avoided had they been willing to renegotiate my mortgage. In May of 2004 I worked as a contractor at the GM Tech Center in Warren, Michigan. GM was having difficulties, so I decided that it would be best for me to see what other opportunities there were outside of Michigan. I took a new position with my company in October of 2004 and relocated to California. We put our home on the market shortly after we moved to California. My wife found some renters, but because of the down turn in Michigan’s employment, we were only able to get half of the mortgage amount in rent. We continued trying to sell our home, lowering the price of our mortgage to what we owed. We contacted Countrywide that spring in an attempt to acquire an interest only loan, which had recently become available on the market. This loan would have been half of what our current mortgage was, and would have permitted use to retain our home until we were able to sell it. Countrywide refused our request sighting that since we were out of state and no longer living in the home, it would be considered an investment property, and they would have to increase our interest rate rather than lower it. With no other means available to us, we decided to go into negotiations with Countrywide to alleviate our burden with a Deed in Lieu, rather than go through a foreclosure. Countrywide told us that we had to stop making the mortgage for a minimum of three months before they would be able to consider our request. At the three month mark we contacted Countrywide and began the process which took another three to four months to complete. This act hurt both Countrywide and us, because it impacted our credit further and cost Countrywide nearly $12,000 in lost mortgage payments. We wanted to keep paying the mortgage until we signed the Deed in Lieu papers, but that was not possible. I wondered how many other people had to look in other states for employment, and experienced the same unwillingness of the mortgage companies to help them through this trying time. None of us in this situation wanted to run away from our responsibilities of our mortgages and we certainly did not want to sacrifice our good credit rating in doing so. This should be a story all of its own to see if we can be helped, as well.

James
    New Californian

October 9, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  4. Edward Fernandez

Short of a revolution, Congress is not going to change its "Let them eat cake" attitude toward American taxpayers. We can't sue the government, and we keep voting in incumbents, Democrats & Republicans, who thumb their collective nose at the public , while they give themselves automatic raises and provide excellent benefits for themselves and their families. Is there a brave, enterprising lawyer out there that will file a class-action suit against the CEOs and members of congress who have wreaked so much financial damage against us?

October 9, 2008 at 7:26 pm |
  5. Jessica

Hi Anderson,

My husband and I love your show. I have a question I would like for you to answer if you can please. How can AIG big shots take a lavish vacation on our money??? We work really hard to earn our money so we can pay our bills on time, put meals on the table and now were expecting our first baby and economy is not looking good. Is there something we the tax payers can do to take our money back from AIG??? Who's obviously using taxpayers money for their personal use... I mean they're already millionairs. Why do we need to bail them out. Why don't the CEO'S of all the companies, get hold responsible for what happened to their companies? they live in mansions we can't even dream of, and we have to bail them out??? Please help me get a better understanding of this if you can.

A concern taxpayer.

October 9, 2008 at 7:17 pm |
  6. Martina M

Could you please explain in simple easy to understand language how and why the economy got to this point. Was it Alan Greenspan lowering interest rates?

It seems to me that when gas started going up into the stratosphere trouble started.

October 9, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  7. Norma

When will we begin to see soup kitchens and tents in the parks? People who were small business owners and home owners like myself are now living under bridges, here in southwest Florida. We are losing homes and established small businesses at an unbelievable rate. Everything here has come to a halt... Now with the global economic crisis, we will not get our winter tourists from Europe and Asia. Save me a spot under the tree in Hooverville it is
    only a matter of time before my family will be joining them.

October 9, 2008 at 7:08 pm |
  8. Martina M

If the market is going down and people (who actually work hard and aren't greedy!) are losing money, losing homes, and losing jobs, where is the money going?

October 9, 2008 at 7:04 pm |
  9. Michele of down-state Illinois

Hi Suze...Please give us an explanation of worse case scenerio for middle income taxpayers following the disastrous bailout! Also, I love all the CNN reporters and have watched you all and depended on you for important news for many years...so, will you please be a voice for me and seek out these bank executives who have become rich off our money and plaster their faces all over the news until they relent and give up their bonuses for the past eight years!!!

Thanks in advance,

Michele

October 9, 2008 at 6:56 pm |
  10. Cindy Checkley

This whole mess about this money is just crazy. Some of my friends have been talking and we feel that the money needs to start somewhere besides the top. We feel that if the banks have all the money, where are the poor and middle class going to be. We still won't beable to buy a car or pay our house payments. The big companies still seem to be having there fun. It just seems that if the people had a say in this we would say start at the bottom. People will beable to get there finances back in shape and guess what the money will still end up at the bank. I guess something like that just sounds a little too easy. The banks and big company's want to keep the poor right where they are at. The poor are never going to be rich people, they just want to have a roof over there heads and food on the table. If my husband and I had to make a car payment right now we would be in a lot of trouble. I am trying to go to school, so I am not working right now. Even if I wanted to work, where would I find a job. The unemployment rate is so high it is extremely hard to find a job anywhere. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Cindy

October 9, 2008 at 6:44 pm |