October 9th, 2008

Palin's female fans: Why they can relate

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/07/art.palin.fl.jpg
caption="Gov. Sarah Palin in Florida on Tuesday"]
Editor's note: Watch Randi Kaye's report tonight on Election Center and AC360° at 8 and 10p ET.

Randi Kaye
AC360° Correspondent

Put ten women in a room and there is no shortage of conversation!

That was the case during a recent visit I made to the home of Tami Nantz.

Tami is a 37-year-old stay-at-home-mom who lives in Florida, a battleground state.

She invited some of her friends over to chat about Sarah Palin for a story I’m working on.

You see, since Palin was named as the V.P. Republican nominee her fan base has really dropped off.

In fact, CNN polls, and many others, show that John McCain has actually lost any gains he made among women voters after Palin was first named to the ticket. Time Magazine’s recent poll shows Barack Obama with a 17 point lead among women.

Women I meet either love her or hate her.

The women we met in Florida are big fans. They call her nomination “brilliant.”

Why is that?

Tami and her friends really relate to Sarah Palin. Like her, they are pro-life and oppose embryonic stem cell research.

They think the fact that Palin chose to go ahead with the birth of her son she knew had Down Syndrome is a “blessing.” One woman told me it shows “with the grace of God” a family can overcome anything.

They believe her support of her teenage daughter’s pregnancy should be commended.

These women are the voters John McCain likely had in mind when he picked Sarah Palin. He was having trouble winning over the conservative base. Not anymore.

These ladies told me they agree with Palin 100% on the issues. They feel like if she had been a part of our gathering that afternoon, they would’ve chatted away like she was “one of the girls.”

But for them it’s really about her conservative beliefs, and less so about the fact that she is a woman.

Never before have conservative women had a strong female conservative voice on the national stage.

In Sarah Palin, they found their champion. She has re-energized them. They say they “get her” and can relate to her feistiness, her winks, and her sarcasm.

The women told me they prayed for her, many of them numerous times, before she debated Joe Biden recently.

They are all members of a Bible Study and deeply religious. They think she’s qualified for the job and is just what Washington needs.

They believe she is a Maverick.

Tami thinks criticism of Palin has been so unfair she started a blog to defend her, called Moms4SarahPalin.

She told me about half the comments on the blog have been negative, even targeted Tami personally, but she’s not giving up.

What do you think? Can you relate to Sarah Palin the way these women do?

Filed under: Barack Obama • John McCain • Randi Kaye • Raw Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. Jill Onderdonk

I cannot relate to Sarah Palin at all!! She does not represent the women of my generation who broke the mold of "stay at home" motherhood and expanded their horizons to have professional careers or become dedicated volunteers along with raising a family.

She is very inexperienced as a elected official, leader, and spokesman. She does not seem to have the interest in learning about issues thoroughly before deciding on a course of action. She also does not seem to listen and respect other viewpoints. She loves to exaggerate and act tough.

I feel sorry for her children that she has chosen to pursue the Vice Presidency at this time. Her pregnant daughter needs her full time and her baby needs her full time. I also think that the other daughters must feel abandoned by her now. Someday she will regret this impetuous choice for GOP startdom!

October 9, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  2. Kathy

I cannot relate to Palin. She is a extremely inexperienced women.
    If McCain gets elected and She becomes president for some uncertain reason. She is going to be a worst leader. World will make fun of us because she is worst than Bush and She is weaker than any candidate in Whole Nation (in terms of National security) because she considers seeing Russia across the border is a foreign policy experience . Americans will go bankrupt because she may be able to manage the federal budget but does not understand global econimic challenges. She can't talk, she can't act, she can't lead. She is a threat to democracy. She is a threat to all religions and race. She is capable of causing some sort of civil/religion war in America, with her extreme views. She is too much of a terrorist in her own way because she is the one who is exteremist.Someone needs to SHUT her up....

October 9, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  3. Aaron

I don't want someone like me to be VP. I want soemone better then me to be VP. I want someone smarter then me to be VP. Sarah palin maybe a good mother and a good wife. How does that make her qualified to be VP? She didn't get a passport until last year. She is laughable at best. And she is trying to get Obama hurt. For her to not chastise the guy who yelled "kill him" is typical of the phony christian mindset. I say phony because no real christian would put up with that.
    Shame on her and shame on grampy mcsame!

October 9, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  4. Suzie

I think Sarah Palin is a terrific candidate for VP. I relate to her because she's pro-life, pro-Constitution, and shares the same values I have. Just because she holds a value to life, doesn't mean she will set back the women's movement. She has every right to her opinion, whether or not you agree with it. Since Gov. Palin was selected, the liberal media and Democrats have repeatedly attacked her on a personal level which is just disrespectul and rude. I am a proud American, wife, mother and it is with great pride that on Nov. 4, I will go to the voting booth and vote for McCain/Palin for a real change that we need not a change that we will regret.

October 9, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  5. mashi

yes, i can relate to her and why others like me relate to her. at the same time i ask myself "am I ready and capable of handling the responsibilities of VP of USA". last time i asked myself i felt cold and chills. just for that reason, i dont want her to be VP of this country – my friend, support group, my neighbor, my counciller, maybe,maybe the governer or a state senator. but not VP, NO!

October 9, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  6. Brittany

She might be a woman, but as a woman I do agree with her on one single issue. She scares me to death!

It seriously makes me angry that Palin would be talking about Obama's relation to a terrorist in a time that a country needs their future leaders to talk about the economic crisis! We all know that is a crazy accusation that Obama is "paling around with terrorists."
    Come on now Palin! We need a leader not a gossip girl!

Lets just say..."No way...no how... no Palin!"

October 9, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  7. Kim from Florida

Relate to these women – please. Maybe if I didn't have a brain and couldn't think for myself. The Obama/Biden ticket is the only way to go for positive change in this country.

October 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  8. Lissa

The woman terrifies me. Seriously terrifies me. She is in no way qualified for such a position and any respect I had for John McCain (which wasn't a whole lot) slid downhill after he made this moronic choice. I think that the extent to which conservative, religious women admire her is a significant red flag that demonstrates the degree to which they feel misunderstood and marginalized. But their enthusiastic support of her probably doesn't help their credibility. The woman is just scary smoke and mirrors.

October 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  9. Theresa

I think Sarah Palin is a liar and a hypocrite. I think it's outragous for her to bring up Jeremiah Wright when she's been prayed for by a witch doctor.

I do not relate to or identify with her in any way. She's pretty and that's the only nice thing I have to say about her. That statement is as shallow as she is.

October 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  10. Ange

I cannot relate to Palin at all, but hey, maybe that's just because I don't want the government to tell me what I can and cannot do with my own body. Or, maybe it's because I truly treat my gay "friends" like friends-with real respect by believing that they have constitutional rights and are equal to everyone else, not just "tolerated." If elected, she's going to take us back to the stone ages. She is an embarrasment to all self respecting women everywhere, and an embarrasment to the United States. I still can't believe that they let this woman speak to foreign dignitaries when she can't even hold her own in an interview for television. As for the "Joe Six Pack" statements- I don't know about you, but I don't want an average "Joe Six Pack" to be a potential president; I want an extrordinary, smart, and eloquent person who is "above average," because s/he will be representing us to the world and making crucial decisions.

October 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  11. Mike Standing

Gov. Sarah Palin is the wrong woman running with the wrong man at the wrong time. She and Sen. McCain both made the wrong decision in regards to the her VP nomination. He in offering and she in accepting. Although Sen. McCain got the "bounce" he anticipated his decision was consistent with his short term vision.

October 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  12. Melissa Horton

I don't need "one of the girls" to be my vice president. If I did, I would have asked my 4 year old daughter to be nominated. The woman is incompetent and I find it frightening that anyone would take her seriously.

October 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  13. Christina

I, for one, admire a woman who can multitask and "do it all"! This woman is the entire package and I think that she just intimidates those who feel inferior...
    You go, Girl!

October 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  14. Arlne Welles

Sarah Palin is a very frightening person. No way as a woman can I relate to her in any way. She is stupid, uninformed, and playing the sex game, with her little winks. The scariest part is she is so arrogant she really doesn't think it matters that she doesn't know anything. Sounds like another George Bush to me.

October 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  15. Flo

If Sarah Palin is brilliant then I'm Albert Einstein, DaVinci and Sir Issac Newton all wrapped into one person.

I personally am not a conservative, stay at home mom (given the economy I thought these women were a dying breed), pro life, stomp the enemy kind of woman. And I doubt that Sarah Palin represents a huge number of women that support her views entirely.

What I find disturbing is this about Palin's supporters: that they are willing to support the ticket at all costs...there is nothing patriotic or historical in helping this ticket (or woman) get elected. The woman is NOT Qualified to be VP, never mind President. She lacks intelligence, yes I wrote it, SHE LACKS INTELLIGENCE and the diplomacy needed in politics. She represents the dumb and dumber population and the Americans that Europeans so much love to hate.

Sarah is not lying when she tells "ya" she's for "Joe six pack", indeed she is, you have to be DRUNK to vote for her and the person who lacked judgement in nominating her.

Yes, that would be McCain.

October 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  16. Dee

Its difificult to relate to a woman who has no qualms about attacking her opponents in an unfair and undignified manner...some role model!! There is no room for the type of venomous personal attacks she spews. Does she not care that she is inciting hateful & rascist feelings out there. If you cant oppose your opponents based on policies you dont deserve the honour of running for this high office.
    Truly intellegent female politicians ,of which their are so many on both sides, would not use personal attacks..they use their brains!!!
    How undignified!!!!

October 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  17. Ana

I'm a liberal democrat, but used to have great respect for Sen. McCain – well, NO MORE ... his choice of Sarah Palin as VP for his ticket is the most asinine thing I've ever heard of ... for goodness sake! I want to be governed by someone who has intellect, compassion, knowledge of the issues and of the great problems this country faces ... I want someone who can help and connect with middle America – with Joe-six-pack ... I don't want Joe-six-pack in the White House making decisions ...and Sarah Palin could become President of the US in the blink of an eye ... she'll be just a heartbeat away, as the saying goes.

October 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  18. Punchinello

These are interesting comments but clearly all from the rabid left-wing liberals. Don't believe me? Just examine the terms these "women" use to describe Palin:

inexperienced, unprofessional, disturbing megalomaniac, backward hillbilly, hateful, power-crazed moron, racist and anti-semitic, hypocrite phoney power hungry egomaniac (my personal favorite), irresponsible, extremely unqualified, small minded, divisive, dangerous, calculating, cunning and ambitious, ignorant...

And that's just from the first 20 or so! LOL! Sounds more like Adolf Hitler, doesn't it? LOL!

These "ladies" should be ashamed of themselves. They've swallowed the liberal media spin – hook, line, and sinker.

October 9, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  19. Rebecca

I don't relate to Sarah Palin in any way, shape or form. Although I've slightly favored Barack Obama throughout the election, I was somewhat torn. As a resident of Arizona, I've always liked and respected John McCain . There was a strong possibility that he could have earned by vote, but that all changed when he chose Palin as his running mate. GWB has unapologetically pushed his religious/social agenda down our throats for 8 years. By picking such an extreme social conservative, McCain has turned off many moderates who otherwise might have considered voting for him.

October 9, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  20. Pat

Hi Randi,
    In answer to your question, I MOST certainly can not relate to Sarah Palin as Tami and her friends do! And further more I have not one itsy, bitsy, desire to do so. I was raised a Roman Catholic and attended church and Sunday School regulary. I sang in the Church Choice from the age of 7 yrs. and also sang the Latin Mass.

I don't agree with Palin on any issues based on her own heart felt feelings. I don't believe she is qualified for VP but I do believe she was chosen due to being a womam by McCain and to shore up Hillary supporters. I believe she allowed herself to be used because she is obsessed with having Power, the same reason she strived to become Mayor and Govenor. I believe she is self-centered, narcisstic based on her willingness to leave her baby boy and pregnant daughter to accept such a time consuming, physically, mentally, challenging, demanding position.

If she is the Christian she claims to be she is not proving the same through her actions since being VP. Her unwarranted, nasty, slanderous, unproven, accusations against Obama does not portray the Christian I know. To sum it up, I feel she is an absolute Fraud in every sense of the word, right down her folksy Alaskan drawl and cutsie Barbie Winks! I find her totally nauseating at BEST.

October 9, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  21. Jessica L

No, I don't relate to Sarah Palin, especially in light of her recent incendiary race-baiting behavior on the campaign trail. She is an ambitious self-serving politician who is positioning herself for a national career beyond the upcoming election. I think the masterminds behind John McCain's campaign chose her because they knew she would be willing to do or say anything, no matter how untrue or heinous, to advance her own standing in the Republican party.

October 9, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  22. Beth

The addition of Sarah Palin to the McCain ticket sealed my vote for Barack Obama. I can't stand her.

October 9, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  23. lou

I agree

I like Sarah Palin. She is not full of hot air like the rest of Washington. a fresh , no nonsense addition.

She is qualified just like Obama is........they are the same.

It seems this election is all about History of african american getting in. come on people.

October 9, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  24. Christina

I can relate to Palin as a busy mom and I have no problem with her conservatism, which is her personal choice. But Palin would consider me a foreigner with my multi-cultural, international background, just as she does Obama.

Palin is divisive, rather than unifying. If she had integrity, she would have challenged those at her rallies who shouted racist and hateful remarks against Obama and even a camaraman who happened to be black. I believe McCain would have.

And Palin is not qualified to be VP. She sets professional women back with her poor grammar and flirtatious antics. She also appears biased against those who are well-educated, well-travelled, and sophisticated– perhaps to compensate for her own insecurities and deficiencies. How could she possibly interact and relate with professionals, intellectuals, or world leaders?

October 9, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  25. Rachel Farris

I cannot relate at all to Palin. She is unprofesional and her dirty tactics are not how I would run against an opponent. She is as poor a choice as McCain was. The repo's may as well hang it up this time. I am a senior citizen and I am voting for Obama. I understand what he says even if others seem confused. He's said and does all the right things. His wife I can relate to. She is educated and soft spoken. She would beat Palen in any contest! She is a lady. Palin is a redneck, tomboy who tried to put on the Ritz. She also needs a better hair do. And...as far as the Ayers thing Obama should sue for character assasination. He is too much of a Gentleman come to think of it. Fox news is trying to promote McCain/Palin. I quit watching those radicals too!

October 9, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  26. Mike J.

I am not planning on voting for McCain/Palin but I also do not feel the need to jump on this ridiculous bandwagon bashing Palin. It's very popular to call her stupid (and worse) , say she only got her job because of looks, that she sets women back 50 years, etc. I don't believe in the same things that she does so I won't be voting for her. It's as simple as that. I don't hate her. I don't wish her harm or feel a need to tell her how to raise her family. I just don't share her values.

I don't see the point in getting so angry and close-minded because someone doesn't think the way you do. Fine, vote for the other guy and shut up. If Palin is such a horrible choice for VP then you should be happy that it helps your party's choice get elected. Not like the Palin-haters were ever really going to vote Republican anyway. Get real. You're like like a sports fan getting mad at the opposing team because they're not as good as his team. Just be happy you're going to win.

October 9, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  27. Robert

No, I can't relate to Palin – not in any positive way. She is not appropriate in a position of leadership. Its hard to believe she's even capable in AK.

She appears to have no opinions, ideas, understanding – or answers – on anything but the same few ultra conservative agenda items. She is a huge step backwards (and down) in terms of potential political leaders. I find it frightening that people can support someone just because she's "like them". This is not the basis for selecting a nations leader.

And – that's not a nation I want any part of. Where are we going???

October 9, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  28. ali

Palin – McCain, we've already had too many cowboys running this country.

We can't afford any more cowboys – no more mavericks.

October 9, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  29. Richard

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see Sarah Palin, why am I reminded of the Stepford Wives ("...I thought you were my friend...")

October 9, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  30. Beca

I do, I honestly do. I like her and I have a lot of respect for her. I am a femenist, pro-life, I believe in a strong military and strong economy. I was raised in church with a lot of family members around with strong family values. I respect women choices when it comes to abortion, but I do not think it is right unless there is a medical issue. Sarah represents a lot of my values and for the first time there is another strong women besides Hillary fighting for us, Americans.

October 9, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  31. Sandra, Atlanta, GA

I absolutely do not relate to Palin at all. The first time I saw her smile, wink, and say 'You betcha' on television I thought I would throw up. Does she think she's on some type of soap opera or something?
    Her intelligence level runs to sound bites that are de-grading(to her) and hateful. God help her if something should happen to Barack Obama! She will certainly have had a part in inciting hatred. Does she not realize that there are really crazy people out there? When I hear someone say he's a Muslim, I only want to ask which planet they live on, but both she and McCain overtly continue to let that idea be promoted.
    I hope one day to see a woman in the White House, but I certainly hope and pray for this country it is NEVER her.

October 9, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  32. Desi

Here's what I think: I am deeply insulted that she has been presented to us as VP material. Moms for Sarah Palin? I have four children and I think she is a terrible mom. I believe that a woman can have a family and be a good mother and hold a job too. But I have seen no evidence that Sarah Palin is that woman. She is no role model for my two daughters - or my two sons. She is a hate-monger too. Shame on her and shame on anyone who admires her despicable behavior.

October 9, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  33. J

I like Brett Favre, Michael Jordan, and Tiger Woods. Oh yeah I also like the lead singer from the Pussycat Dolls, but I don't think that any of them should be Vice President of the United States. This is not American Idol, or Dancing with the Stars. I personally do not like Sarah Palin or anything that she stands for, but I will not attack her personally, or her family. She simply is not qualified to be Vice President or President at this time. This whole campaign is going to set this country back 50 years if these candidates keep attacking each other. The country is becoming so divided that it will be tough to repair no matter who wins. We as Americans have got to start making more informed decisions when it comes to choosing our leaders. Give three reasons that she is qualified other than she is a good mother, a Governor, and she didn't have an abortion with a DS baby. She has no opinions of her own when it comes to issues. She always says that she just will do whatever John Mccain wants to do. Look at the difference between her and Biden. He is probably the most qualified out of all the candidates. He ran for President 20 years ago. She keeps saying Obama isn't being honest, she won't even cooperate with an investigation over something that isn't even very serious. Wake Up.

October 9, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  34. Molly

I'm frustrated that the majority of the people posting have made references to Sarah Palin being 'stupid' or 'unintelligent' or even a 'moron'. Just because she hasn't glossed up her speech to sound like a veteran politician doesn't mean she's not intelligent. She's certainly green when it comes to tv interviews, she doesn't finish her words with a 'g' (i.e. gettin, bettin) and she obviously has different beliefs than most of you. But that does not make her stupid. It just means she has a different political agenda and a different way of speaking. Argue against her politics – not her intelligence. If she was stupid, we wouldn't be debating her right now.

October 9, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  35. Kris

Dear Carol Smith please read the following:

I do not relate at all to Obama. He is inexperienced, unprofessional, and will take women back to the stone ages.

Now lets look at McCain

He is experienced, professional ,not afraid of a woman with power and willing to lead all people out of the stone age.

Dear Clinton supports please ask yourselves why did Obama not pick Clinton? Was it because she was a woman with power or was Biden so much better...

October 9, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  36. Rick

There is no mass appeal for this woman at all. When she couldn't put a sentence together in an interview and followed that with a "shout out to the third grade class" . You have to be kidding me. She has made America and Americans look like common idiots. I had an international trip recently and the joke is on America with palin. She is not ready to be vice president and relates to a fringe element. It is called the UNITED States of America. She's working in the opposite direction. It is disturbing to think McCain hand picked her as the second to what is the most important job in the world. Fun and games are over.. The interview process is over and the mavericks can go back home now.

October 9, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  37. bob

What a biased reportting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One more tv man not to be respected.

October 9, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  38. Donna

I'd certainly hope she wouldn't be compared to Hillary Clinton!!! This lady HAS CLASS!!! She believes in the AMERICAN people, The middle class people and so what if she doesn't have all the knowledge of a VP–BIll Clinton didn't either and he ALSO was 'JUST A GOVERNOR" when he was elected. Give her a break!!!

October 9, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  39. Diane

I cannot believe this is the 21st century and people could be so blind. With the lack of any cognizant form. She couldn't even answer the question Couric posed, "What do you read?" The only thing I think this female offers the ticket is a quick end to J. McCain's career, but then his attitude in the past few weeks pretty well took care of that. Add this pit bull with lipstick, and you have got a civil war in the making. His anger in the last debate was so vivid. He had fists clinched, kept huffing loudly with dismay when Obama spoke...and he certainly didn't help himself calling Obama "that one". Enough of the old white haired dude and the pit bull...stop the disgrace Johnny Mac....she is dragging you down to her level....don't let this continue and ruin any shread of descency you may have left.

October 9, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  40. Nadiyah

I can never identify with a woman who doesn't believe that a woman is entitle to choose what happens to her own body.

That a pregnancy from RAPE or INCEST is okay and since everything is "God's Will" the choice to abort should be taken away.

As an incest survivor I can't tell you how that would've damaged my psyche had a I gotten pregnant as a result and was FORCED to keep the baby.

It reminds me of an article I read a few months ago about a mother in Chicago who made her 9yr old daughter keep the baby that was a product of molestation (done by the mother's boyfriend). Now the girl is 10yrs old with a baby, damaged physically, emotionally and mentally for the rest of her life...simply because her mother believed as PALIN believed.

As a rape survivor I can tell you that if I had been forced to have the fetus that was growing in my womb, my life would've been destroyed. Not just because I wasn't ready for a child at the time, but to have to look at, and care for this child that was a product of the brutalization that was done to my body would've made me hate the child and myself. (For those who choose or have no choice but to have the child – I commend and admire you)

So no, I can never identify with a woman who would take my right to choose out of my hands.

NEVER

October 9, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  41. Stephanie-AZ

I absolutely can relate to Palin, she is a modern day woman and just what this country needs,, you all criticize her family and they way she talks and wink and laughs, I would like to see one of you podunk woman who are being so brutal accomplish in a lifetime what shes accomplished in the last few years, that's right you couldn't!!! I am sure everyone who is being negative on this post is a DEMOBRAT and all you DEMOBRATS ever do is witch and moan when you are not getting your way. you know that little box when you are registering to vote that says have you been found "certifiably insance" by a court, well if ya'll are voting for obambot then don't forget to check that box!!!!

McCain/Palin<– the only way to go

October 9, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  42. Andrea

I do not relate to her at all. I feel that women have made so many step in progress through the years. And although these steps have made it possible for her to get to where she is, I believe she will set us back. I feel ashamed and embarassed as a woman that she would allow herself to be used by the McCain campaign – with her canned response answers and her coreographed winks... I am sure that as a person, she is wonderful. But they told her to dance, and she is dancing. I want a woman who will stand on her own, and do what she feels is right for our country. Not just a puppet.

October 9, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  43. Barbara

I'm a Vice President of an Internet company and I can no more relate to Sara Palin, as, well, as a pig in lipstick. She's not speaking for me or my ilk.

October 9, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  44. robert Boston

women voting for McCain because of Palin, should take a closer look at McCain. That's who you're voting for. What is his record on women's issues? He has a bad record, he needed do do something. the problem is McCain could be president not Palin.

October 9, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  45. kathryn

I have to say that many of these comments are completely ridiculous. The idea that any person in a position of national leadership, be they male or female, could set women back "50 years," or "back to the stone ages," is ludicrous. If we're going to talk about her politics or her experience or her tactics...fine...but lets leave all this over the top emotionalism out of it!

Women are NOT at risk of loosing our place as active and relevant member of our society!! Unless, of course, you think that a public figure priding herself on her role as a mother and a wife is intrisically threatening to our "image" as indenpendent, well-adjusted women. In which case I think you may have more pressing matters to take a look within your own identity, and the image from which you take your worth.

I'm not saying Palin is the Madonna (as in the religious figure, not the superstar) of all conservative or republican women...lets just be a bit more rational in what we discuss here shall we?

October 9, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  46. joan

I do not relate in any way with Sarah Palin. I am 55, white, CPA, wife, hockey/baseball/golfer/musician mom and Catholic. I also strive to be informed, honest, respectful of others and their rights to their opinions, courteous to all and helpful to anyone needs a hand. (Note I said I strive – I pray a lot to get better at all of those things, but wouln't presume to say that I've perfected any of them.)

So, I do not in any way relate to Sarah Palin – she is the antithesis of all that I believe and have worked for.

October 9, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  47. dina o'Sullivan

Sara Palin is a "trophy Vice Presidential " candidate.

October 9, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  48. Jake

"These ladies told me they agree with Palin 100% on the issues. They feel like if she had been a part of our gathering that afternoon, they would’ve chatted away like she was 'one of the girls.'"

Been there, done that with George W. Bush. I don't care if the Prez or VP seems like someone I could have a beer with. I think it's time to put some smart people in The White House again, don't you?

October 9, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  49. Therese McGee

I am a Christian, Pentecostal even. I have juggled kids, work, husband, and a sick mom. I can relate and I am horrified. I am appalled that McCain had such poor judgement to choose Sarah Palin, and that she had such poor judgement to accept. Her lack of insight on her own inabilites is just astounding. She is amazingly shallow and opportunistic. I am dismayed that she would leave a 4 month old special needs baby. What is so admirable about going ahead with the pregnancy if you don't take care of the baby? In recent days, I have been shocked by Sarah Palin's blithful and blatant lies. So much for the good, conservative Christian. What happened to her conscience? Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

October 9, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  50. Amanda

Anderson, I'm disappointed, I expect more from you. "Can you relate to Palin the way these women do..." What a very passive way of undermining what she is doing. Would you ever write an article about Obama with an ending question, "Can you relate to Obama the way these men do...? If you think she is unqualified, please just say so...don't couch it like you have done in this article. I have no problem with the personal preferences and biases of journalists but PLEASE be upfront about them or you lose credibility....

October 9, 2008 at 5:18 pm |