October 9th, 2008

Palin's female fans: Why they can relate

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/07/art.palin.fl.jpg
caption="Gov. Sarah Palin in Florida on Tuesday"]
Editor's note: Watch Randi Kaye's report tonight on Election Center and AC360° at 8 and 10p ET.

Randi Kaye
AC360° Correspondent

Put ten women in a room and there is no shortage of conversation!

That was the case during a recent visit I made to the home of Tami Nantz.

Tami is a 37-year-old stay-at-home-mom who lives in Florida, a battleground state.

She invited some of her friends over to chat about Sarah Palin for a story I’m working on.

You see, since Palin was named as the V.P. Republican nominee her fan base has really dropped off.

In fact, CNN polls, and many others, show that John McCain has actually lost any gains he made among women voters after Palin was first named to the ticket. Time Magazine’s recent poll shows Barack Obama with a 17 point lead among women.

Women I meet either love her or hate her.

The women we met in Florida are big fans. They call her nomination “brilliant.”

Why is that?

Tami and her friends really relate to Sarah Palin. Like her, they are pro-life and oppose embryonic stem cell research.

They think the fact that Palin chose to go ahead with the birth of her son she knew had Down Syndrome is a “blessing.” One woman told me it shows “with the grace of God” a family can overcome anything.

They believe her support of her teenage daughter’s pregnancy should be commended.

These women are the voters John McCain likely had in mind when he picked Sarah Palin. He was having trouble winning over the conservative base. Not anymore.

These ladies told me they agree with Palin 100% on the issues. They feel like if she had been a part of our gathering that afternoon, they would’ve chatted away like she was “one of the girls.”

But for them it’s really about her conservative beliefs, and less so about the fact that she is a woman.

Never before have conservative women had a strong female conservative voice on the national stage.

In Sarah Palin, they found their champion. She has re-energized them. They say they “get her” and can relate to her feistiness, her winks, and her sarcasm.

The women told me they prayed for her, many of them numerous times, before she debated Joe Biden recently.

They are all members of a Bible Study and deeply religious. They think she’s qualified for the job and is just what Washington needs.

They believe she is a Maverick.

Tami thinks criticism of Palin has been so unfair she started a blog to defend her, called Moms4SarahPalin.

She told me about half the comments on the blog have been negative, even targeted Tami personally, but she’s not giving up.

What do you think? Can you relate to Sarah Palin the way these women do?

Filed under: Barack Obama • John McCain • Randi Kaye • Raw Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. annie

She is an embarrassment to all women. As I got to know her I lost all respect. Now I am terrified. The hate that she spews at her rallys is truely terrifying. If for her alone, vote no to McCain

October 9, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  2. Eliza Vela

John MCCain said it best when he announced that "the American people love her". I don't want a Vice President or President that is enamored by our country. I want someone who is respected, admired and will bring our nation together.

October 9, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  3. Amore

I think Palin is wonderful. I would be proud as a women to have her as the Vice President of the United States. I also love Cindy McCain. She displays alot of class and will make a ideal 1st Lady. She has done so much work for the underprivileged all over the world.

October 9, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  4. Governor Palin Supporter

For all of you who think she doesn't have the experience to be President, why don't you think the same of Senator Obama? He has NO, NADA, ZILCH Executive exerience,only associations with questionable individuals (such as Bill Ayers, Jeremiah Wright, the ACORN organization, Kenyan radicals, and who knows who else – he won't release any of his records from his college years. I'm concerned and worried. God Bless America!!

October 9, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  5. Cari

YES. I relate to Sarah Palin. She is exactly the VP that we need. A strong partner to President McCain.

Smart, honest, patriotic, pro-life woman! She's more than ready to lead.

Another bonus: she is not friends with a terrorist who bombed the Pentagon.

OBAMA'S "CHANGE"? Take a look at what Fidel did to Cuba and how he "changed" it. Is that how you want to live in the USA????

GO MCCAIN and PALIN! I'M VOTING FOR EXPERIENCE AND INTEGRITY!

October 9, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  6. helen rhodes

I would like to know more about palin and her husband affilation with the aip separatist group in alaska. this is a big concern for the american voter if this woman is going to be one heart beat away from the presidency. she and her husband need to amswer some questions about their views about alaska suceeding from the u.s. this group is very dangerous if they feel hate for the u.s.

October 9, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  7. Mary

Less than a month to go to not have to hear Palin's rants...when she goes down in defeat the Replublicans will throw her under the bus and realize that she helped lead to the defeat and we hopefully will not have not have to hear about a Palin 2012 campaign.

She has shown us how impressionable part of our population is. Yes she has been something different and you can understand the fascination "she is like me' a mom and also an attractive woman who seems to be powerful.

But when I wacth her on screen I can not stop thinking of the that part in Sleeping Beauty when the ugly witch appears in the mirror....

October 9, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  8. Cri

She scares the HECK out of me. She is righteous and other peoples opinions and rights do not matter to her if they do not suit her. In fact other people do not matter to her if you are in her way. & i strongly believe that goes for her kids too!

October 9, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  9. erin

Um, no. Not in any sense of the word do I relate to Governor Palin.

October 9, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  10. pat napolitano

Mc Cain's negative attacks on Obama are not helping him nor the Republican party. He has a right to question things but not at the same time rile up people to a dangerous frenzy. He should stand up and state his policies so people can decide for themselves what they believe. His idea on the buying up of houses was not his idea but Hillary Clinton's and he is taking credit for thinking of it. Sometimes I think he doesn't realize that people have computers and can check facts anytime. He is also stating exaggerated and false statements regarding Obama and people can check this also as I have and can see what he is saying is not true. He also voted against money for the soldiers and he forgets that. MCCain stop hiding behind your wife and Palin's skirts and be a man. This is an election someone wins and someone loses.

October 9, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  11. Kerri Ann

Palin is lower than a mean joke. She is evil spirited, she is heartless, and an awful mother. If her daughter was black Palin would be considered the mother of a young slut.

Then there is her attacking. If she is a Christian as she confesses why doesn't she believe God forgives Ayers and only God should judge him. Is Obama being a good Christian by not judging the man.

Women who support Palin must be awful mothers and women. I have two very educated daughters, they have worked hard to be qualified for their careers, where Palin is just being used. Believe me, under all circumstances one knows what they read, they know what's going on in the courts.

I could go on and on but a male or female VP should be more than a friend. They should be more than an average Joe-Six_Pack. They should be professional, smart, have vision. They should be someone young women can look up to and also have a global appeal. Only women with a clue of this global world would feel Palin can go anywhere outside the US and be taken seriously.

October 9, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  12. Betty, Virginia

I dislike her intensely. Her voice grates on my nerves, her winking is cheesy and she talks like a young teenager. I really don't like someone who smiles and laughs when being mean. Every high school girl has met that type. Fine if you're a part of the clique but the rest are to be ridiculed.

I've known a lot of amazing women in my life.. not one has called themselves a maverick or for that matter ever talked about how great they were.... hey Sarah, just saying something doesn't make it so... I can only hope Sarah Palin becomes an answer in a trivial pursuit game and that the last I hear of her.

October 9, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  13. Annick Delorme

"Red-neck" mentality is prevalent among the masses as they are usually less educated and don't have the intellectual capability nor the courage to keep well informed and then, draw their own conclusions. Unless they are equipped with a strong character, right or wrong, they will follow the loudest shouter.

October 9, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  14. Sherry

It is my understanding that a Conservative, according to Merriam-Webster is; "tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions." I was under the impression that Conservatives believe women represent "hearth & home." If Sarah Palin is a Conservative as she seems to promote herself to be, how can she possibly justify leaving her special needs child, who in my opinion, will require much more attention and care. It seems Governor Palin is a Conservative when it suits her. It's too bad she give the appearance of using her children and especially her special needs child for photo ops for the press. I have rarely seen her hold the baby unless a chance to get some press exposure in doing so. So very sad. She is no way prepared to be VP of the USA and DEFINITELY not prepared to be President.

October 9, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  15. Jamie

Sarah Palin may look hot in some lingerie, and your husbands may fantasize about her.

She is not the one who should be second in command of the United States of America.

October 9, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  16. Judy Opial

Brilliant? Hardly!
    Sarah is an insult to our intelligence. I cannot understand, why anyone would believe her.
    She makes Paris Hilton, look like a member of MENSA.
    When I hear her, inciting comments, to "kill" Barack Obama, I cannot help but wonder, if she knows, there are nuts in this world, who cannot tell right from wrong.
    There is a video of a PREGNANT Sarah Palin, with her pastor, praying for power.
    Becareful what you wish for, you may get it.
    I know, most moms would have prayed for a healthy baby.
    That mojo moment, spoke volumes for me! It show where her priorities lie.
    I think, she reached. the level of her incompetence, when she was president of the PTA!
    Ask her a question, about anything, with substance and she looks like a deer, caught in her own gun-site!
    She has no more business running for vice president, than George Bush had, running for president!
    Obama, O' Biden, 08

October 9, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  17. blenda brandt

i am a woman that voted for hillary clinton. there are so many reasons i would not vote for gov palin. but there are also many reasons i would vote the obama/biden ticket. i consider myself a liberal, i am pro choice
    i support social security and do not want to see it privitized. also, as a union worker, i feel the democrats support the union and it workers more than the gop ever would

October 9, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  18. Clara

Hello,

I am a woman, however, I cannot relate to Sarah Palin. Here are a few reasons why:
    Her campaign speaks of nothing but hate and division. She allows people to yell racial slurs and "off with his head" while she is speaking at RP rallies. She talks about the character of Obama and how he can't be trusted when she charged the taxpayers of Alaska for the travels of her and her family to their home.
    She winks at the American people while we are facing one of the worse economic crisis since the Great Depression. She is next in line for President for a man that is CLEARLY ill and over the age to serve a full term in office.

In fact, the mere thought of Sarah Palin in office frightens me.

She will put America and women back 50 years because she has proven that she is a good study for short term learning, but she has definately used her looks to get ahead. What other reason would a potential VP have to wink into the camera at a IMPORTANT debate on the issues unless you were trying to sway the male voters who have repeatedly said how "hot" she is!?
    How is she qualified? Did you hear some of the questions she was asking when meeting with heads of state at the UN? How many grandchilddren do your have? WHAT???!!!
    America has to be asleep at the wheel if they think that she is VP material. I understand the RP's reasoning behind her, this Dan Quayle of our time. Just pretty window dressing to get your mind off of how BAD it really is out there. SHE IS NO HILLARY -not even CLOSE! Compare the two, line for line Hillary comes out on top.

It's the ECONOMY STUPID-WAKE UP AMERICA!!

October 9, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  19. Debbie

I have a hard time understading why anyone could relate to a pathalogical liar. Just about every word that comes out of her mouth is a lie. She isn't very smart either. She had weeks to actually learn something before her debate and all she could do was recite memorized talking points. She was above answering the questions. She is above the law with the Troopergate investigation. She doesn't keep her word because at the beginning of Troopergate she said she welcomed the investigation and she had nothing to hide. Two days after being tapped for VP running mate that changed. She isn't really part of the campaign, she is just the mouthpiece of negativity for McCain. She wasn't consulted on the campaign pulling out of Michigan...she read it in the paper. So they are using her to do their dirty work. If she was really smart, she would tell the campaign what she will say and where they should go because she is pulling the crowds in. So she has some power but she isn't smart enough to use it. Instead her numbers are dropping in Alaska because they are seeing Palin more clearly now and they don't like what they see. She does a few interviews and because she has no grasp of the issuses she blames the media. She is an embarassment to women. She is a puppet for a man who has no respect for women. If he had respect for women he would not vote against equal pay for equal work for women. And his reasoning for voting this way is because women need more training and education. McCain uses both Palin and Cindy to do the dirty work because he hasn't the guts to do it himself to Obama's face. He even has his wife spout half truths. He is a dispicable desperate shell of a man. Palin is guilty by association...but oh then I forgot they are soul mates. Hard to understand why anyone would be a fan of either one of them. After CIndy's performance yesterday she has proved that she doesn't have the class to be a great first lady.

October 9, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  20. Louise, Massachusetts

Certainly, I can relate to Sarah Palin as a person, as a woman and as a mother. She is gritty and likeable – the same characterisitcs of many of my closest friends. Those characteristics alone are not sufficient to qualify anyone to be the Vice president of the United States.

Like so many of my peers, Sarah Palin was the deal-breaker for any further consideration of John McCain as a candidate. The stakes here are just too high.

In these turbulent times, we need qualities like calm, reason, and deliberation in the leadership of our country.

That is why so many former Republican women like me are now carrying the the banner that reads, "This One is for THAT One."

October 9, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  21. MPalalay (California)

If choosing the likes of Sarah Palin as his VP runningmate is an indication of and introduction to John McCain's so-called executive panache, I would shudder at the mere thought of it. Honestly, it is the ultimate affront not only to American women, but to all Americans period!

Palin, in her seemingly lame attempts at imitations of Goldie Hawn or Lucille Ball's classic comedic antics by acting cutesie, dizzy, and folksy–actually comes out instead as condescending, sarcastic, pugnacious, and yes–even clueless and ignorant. A preschooler could tell us his favorite toy in a split second, the same way that a grade school kid could quickly divulge what stuff he or she reads. Why can't Palin?

Sorry, but Sarah Palin is not the embodiment of the effective, innovative and astute 21st century American woman. I would be very wary of a potential national leader who refuses a press conference or an ambush interview without a script and preconditions.

Do I and the rest of America want a Vice Pres. Palin to replace a Pres. McCain in a heartbeat should the inevitable happen?

Come on now; do you seriously want Private Benjamin or Lucy Ricardo to be vice president or worse–president of the United States of America?

October 9, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  22. nerakami, Miami

It's truly a matter of character and integrity. This woman has introduced herself to America with a barrage of negative attacks, lies, deception and happens to be under investigation for abuse of power.

The most disgusting aspect of this lady is her claims of christianity and has so far behaved in the most anti-God ways. No tolerance, no compassion, no kindness... nothing closely in line with the qualities of Christ.

This woman is a fraud and should be labeled as such.

October 9, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  23. pat napolitano

I grew up poor and and no way could I relate to S. Palin. I have read a great deal about her record in Alaska which was presented falsly from the start. She did not sell the plane on e-bay, she did accept earmarks (road to nowhere) her husband was and may still be in a group wanting to separate Alaska and make it independent from the US. She was for the bridge and if she did not like it why didn't she send the money back. Does Mc Cain and Palin think people cannot check facts. She wants to take women's rights away and if she could, she would control the reading material in libraries. I grew up the hard way and I can spot a phoney in a minute and she is a big one.

October 9, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  24. April M Dorsey

As a patriot Palin Scares me to death. As an environmentalist she is even more appalling and as a humanitarian and even as a supporter of hunters and fisherman everywhere, myself included, I would like to suggest we all get together quickly! I would like to see all of get together and dress Sarah Palin in a wolf costume for Halloween and turn her loose in Alaska! I think it would be what is best for our great nation!

October 9, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  25. ,Barbara-Dalton Ga

There is no way I can relate to Sara P. If I ever stood up before a group winked and referred to a class of men as JOE 6 PACK, I would not need to be told to clean out my desk, I would have already done so and considered this address as my swam song. Since she takes a large leap with many facts, I would not consider her really a deeply
    religious person, most people that I know that are very religious would
    never take such liberties they honestly try to live a life as pure as
    humanly possible.

October 9, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  26. Roxie

I can't relate to Sarah Palin. I'm too intelligent, too inclusive, devote myself to empowering people, not judging and condemning them. We are the United States and the conservative right seems to put its energy into creating the Divided States.

October 9, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  27. Kerry

Put me into the camp who can't stand Sarah Palin.

I find the fact that she put her daughter's pregnancy in the world-wide spotlight unforgivable. That poor girl has a tough enough road ahead of her as a teenage mother without being submitted to public scrutiny. Any rumors about her son's parentage could have been stopped by having her health records or the baby's birth certificate made available. Why drag her daughter into it further?

Having worked with special needs children for 17 years now, I know how much time and energy it takes to get them the services they need. Being the Vice President of the United States of America is more than just being a "working mom" who can multi-task. That baby deserves to have her full attention and presence in his life. She needs to be available to work with the therapists he'll be working with in the next few years.

Her refusal to admit that she was unprepared for her first tv interviews is just dishonest. Of course she was successful on the later fox interviews...she had had time to prepare to answer questions asked previously. National leaders don't get "do-overs" on the world stage.

Her "folksy" talk and all the winks turn me off. When she just speaks on the issues, the nasal twang and "cuteness" disappears and she actually comes across as intelligent. Why reduce yourself to being "cute" rather than show people you might actually know what you're talking about.

The mud-slinging innuendos have been the final straw for me, and the fact that she delivers many of them with a coy little smile reminds me of the "mean girls" in high school who smiled as they stabbed people in the back. Tell the voters facts on the issues and let us decide who to vote for.

I would love to have a woman in the white house someday...just not one like Sarah Palin.

October 9, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  28. Ken

It is my impression that the only qualification, any more, for being a feminist is if you are "pro-choice". It is my impression that a women's success in the public arena will have to include being "pro-choice" or you become disqualified for any accolades. Who narrowed the definition? Where is the support for a woman being successful simply because? Why the agressive hate? I don't know any person that could keep a "fan base" after these weeks of derogatory articles and negative media programs. It certainly has been a black eye against the American women. Much of the media has appeared to be sexist in their attack on Sarah Palin.

October 9, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  29. mona

No, I can't relate to Sarah Palin the way these women do. Although I believe it's commendable that Palin would follow through on having her down's syndrome child and her daughter chose life instead of abortion (I would hope I would have influence on my daughters to do the same), I do not believe that we as a society should have a say what other women do. It is their choice. We (Sarah and I) fundamentally disagree over this so therefore there is no relation. I do not agree with her on global warming. We as a global society have a direct affect on the gases, emissions, etc... released into the air. We have more cars on the roads not just here but China, Korea, Russia, etc.....Fundamentally disagree. Also, I happen to think the VicePresident of the United States should be able to speak intelligent. She has a journalism degree for crying out loud. What's with the "lingo" she's using. That is so unprofessional. My two cents.

October 9, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  30. Lesley

I don't relate to Governor Palin. Her winks and sarcasm turn me off. She is feigning expertise she doesn't have and pushing herself into a position that is way over her head. Her unscripted interviews show how little she knows about the world she lives in. Her views are narrow minded and dogmatic, she fires and replaces anyone who doesn't agree with those views, she tried to ban books from the library as one example. Her religious views are extreme right in my view, telling parishoners we are fighting God's war in Iraq and to pray for a $30 billion pipeline but their hearts have to be pure or they wont' get one, her pastor laying on hands and praying over her making her the governor, please. She claims to be pro life but has no problem authorizing the shooting of animals from helicopters and pulling baby wolves from their dens and shooting them in the head. Alaska is a large wilderness and surely there are more humane ways to separate the population. Trying to save the caribou for what purpose, so that she and her friends can shoot them? And the hatred she is spewing at the campaign stops, saying Obama doesn't like his counry and is palling around with terrorists is making those supporters think Obama is a terrorist himself. They call him terrorist and shout out kill him from the audience. She is helping to put his life in danger trying to win an election. The Republicans sound like a terrorist organization, inciting people to riot. She doesn't have a brain in her head. No, I don't like Palin at all.

October 9, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  31. Mindy Chatsworth, Ca.

I have about as much in common with Sarah Palin as the man in the moon. She could be living on another planet as far as I am concerned.

I find her calculating, cunning and ambitious but sorely lacking in basic intelligence and analytical skills and reasoning. She is ignorant, pure and simple. Her views on abortion are repugnant to me. The very idea that this woman thinks that abortion should be banned even in the case of rape or incest, shows her blatant insensitivity and callousness. Her belief in creationism and rejection of scientific fact is another reason for me to disrespect her.

I have nothing in common with her, except the same chromosome. Yes, I borrowed that one from the estimable Gloria Steinem. But it is quite true. She has become a hatchet woman in this campaign, willing to do McCain's dirtiest work. I honestly don't know how she sleeps at night, but people who are as blindly steeped in religion as she is, seem to have no qualms about anything they do or say. After all, they can always fall back on the copout that this is "God's work" or it's their faith or morals. Anything to justify the vilest of attacks on a good and decent man like Barack Obama.

I am embarrassed and disgusted by Sarah Palin. It is my sincere hope that after the election and what I pray is a resounding defeat for the Republicans, she will go back to Alaska and take a long walk on the road to nowhere.

October 9, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  32. Jan from Wood Dale IL

I can not relate to Sarah Palin on all of the social issues, but as a small business owner I understand what it takes to juggle the great demands of running a business as well as the greater demands of having a family.

Since Gov. Palin indicated she had placed Alaska's budget online, I found her fiscal plan quite realistic. Her fiscal plan is based on 3 principes - saving for the future, living within our means and controlling government spending and ramping up resource development. Her fiscal plan focuses on investment in core services and constitutionally mandated state responsibilities.

Aren't those the same goals we should have in our federal government? I am so tired of our current Congress and executive administration who just throw money at a problem without considering the objectives and having a stable plan not only for now but for our future. Those are my reasons for relating to Sarah Palin.

October 9, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  33. michelle

I do not agree. Sarah Palin is a disgrace to women. She is used to getting her way with flirtations and jokes that are unprofessional and have been a detriment to working women. It will be harder to be taken seriously as a woman at work since she has blatantly flirted, winked and acted "cutesy" to get ahead and deal with matters and issues.

As far as her son with down syndrome and supporting their children that get pregnant young – big whoop – parents have been doing it for ages and no body has seen them as brave or noble. Sarah Palin is not special in the least way.

She embarrasses me as a woman.

October 9, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  34. Lisa from NC

Absolutely not! I can not relate to these women. I am pro-choice, I am for embryonic stem cell research, I do not feel ,as they do, that it is my place to force religion into someone's life-it is a personal decision- I am not afraid of science and progress. I embrace it. They are so limited by what the Bible says to them. Of course, I think that so much of the Bible is taken out of context and not viewed for what it was meant to be. If these hardcore religious women really studied the life of Jesus, they would realize that he would have been on my side of the aisle. I honestly believe that if Jesus came back to today and saw all that was being done in his name, he would never stop puking.

Aside from the religion issue, I think they are snowed by Palin's narcissism. She is great at making people think she is just an ordinary "good ole girl", wonderful mom....Dig a little deeper and you see what is underneath Palin's facade. I pose one question to the Moms for Palin– If she cares so much and is such a wonderful mom, then why in the world did she focus the national spotlight on two of her children who are struggling with some very personal issues? Palin understands the personal scrutiny in the political arena and to choose this VP path, knowing that it would focus negative attention on her children is just unfathomable. Personally, I think she used the children and their issues for her political gain ,but that's just my opinion.

October 9, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  35. Maureen / Newman, California

McCain is an idiot. He could have chosen a competent woman, but instead chose this incompetent, dishonest, ignorant, narrowminded, religious fanatic. I have nothing against religion. What I am against are people like Sarah Palin that have the same exact views as terrorist leaders. They believe that the ENTIRE country should abide by their own religious rules. This is wrong and this is exactly why Religion and State must be kept separate. Palin's experience has shown her incompetence. Building an ice rink on land that did not belong to the city, and ended up costing much more than she estimated because of this legal problem. Building the road to nowhere costing millions. Lying about her position of the bridge to nowhere. Troopergate remains to be seen, but any honest person would not dodge a subpoena and demand that her employees and husband also dodge their subpoenas. The troopergate investigation was initiated by a Republican and before Palin was chosen as McCain's running mate.

There is a reason Palin's approval rating is so low. Palin is completely underqualified for the job. Even many Republicans admit this. But I think that Palin's extremeist views just add insult to injury. Unfortunately there will always be ignorant, narrowminded people that will vote for someone like Palin ONLY because they share her twisted views, and not at all because of her qualifications.

October 9, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  36. kristen

I think that it is awful the way Palin has turned this presidential race so ugly. How can these so-called "deeply religious" women support someone who is so filled with hate?

All she does is rant and rave her hatred of everything, and stir up an impressionable crowd to the point where they could become a dangerous mob. What is wrong with her?

October 9, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  37. Jacqueline

I live in Florida. I am a Christian. I am a woman. I couldn't be less supportive of Palin's candidacy.

I am appalled by Sarah Palin's lack of credentials, and more importantly by her general lack of knowledge on foreign and domestic issues and her inability to articulate the positions and proposed policies of her ticket.

She is all style and no substance, and her recent forays into attack politics combined with her failure to cooperate with the ethics investigation in her home state says to me that this is a dangerous person that I most definitely don't want representing me or my country.

October 9, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  38. Lynne Meece

I am a former hockey mom who lived in Alaska for a few years. Granted, I have not been a mayor or a governor. However, I am a registered nurse and know how to budget. I don't understand how anyone who promotes family values can support the Palin/McCain
    ticket. What about her small special needs son? This is the prime bonding time between infant and mother. I would think that a special needs child would require even more bonding. Who is taking care of him while Sarahcuda is out campaigning? And what about her pregnant teenage daughter? This is a time when she will need her mother more than ever. How can Ms. Palin possibly give her the support she needs? I don't understand how anyone can even remotely believe that she is ready to run this country, my country, if God forbid, something should happen to Senator McCain.

October 9, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  39. suki

I cannot relate to Sarah Palin in any way shape or form – I do not support anything she stands for – she has done nothing for the cause of women breaking through the glass ceiling

Palin is small town and small minded – she is divisive – her disdain for knowledge and the world around her is palpable

The venom she spews at her rallies does not speak for me – she is a ntional disgrace

I don't hate her – I simply don't agree with her – she is unqualified to be on a national ticket and her record speaks for itself

October 9, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  40. Leigh

Sure I can relate to Sarah the way these women do. But can I vote to put her in a position that's a heart beat away from the presidency? Heavens no!

October 9, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  41. Ann

Not a chance! I'm not a "soccer-mom" married to a "joe six-pack". I'm a college drop-out returning to school to finish my education & find a respectable place in in this world. When Palin was announced as McCain's VP pick I, like everyone else, was excited to learn about this intriguing female politician. I watched her first network interview with Charles Gibson & by the end of it I was confused. Palin didn't seem to have strong answers & started her infamous trend of filibustering. Then, of course, were the even more infamous interviews with Couric. Moreover, Palin hasn't done enough interviews as most political figures running for office normally would. Then McCain "suspends" his campaign leaving questions as to why Palin can't be trusted to handle the campaign. Bottom line: American's need reassurance and we need to restore our reputation as a great leading nation. These past eight years have been a disaster and we can't afford anymore incompetent leaders. Don't get me wrong, I actually like Palin , but she's more of a great small-town, local, politician. McCain should have done more vetting when selecting his running mate & Palin is irresponsible for accepting the VP position which she is extremely unqualified to fill. There is no chance I would trust her folksy, cute, clueless perspective to lead our nation. McCain almost had my vote, but has sealed one for Barack Obama.

October 9, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  42. Faiz

Same way as some people will not vote for Obama or only vote for Obama, there are women who would support Palin regardless. But the woman who knows that McCain voted against equal pay for women many times I doubt will support their ticket. Women who believe in their right to choose, I doubt will support the republican ticket especially Sarah Palin. Also, women are concern about pocket book issues, If I am not wrong, polls are showing that they are moving away from Republican ticket.

October 9, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  43. Rahni, Connecticut

They're pretty much like her because she is a Alaska redneck and she also incite riots.

October 9, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  44. Susan

What do I think? I think... do these women? I too am prolife and wish we could provide girls with EFFECTIVE sex education, and bring abortions down to zero, but as prolife I also believe war should be the last alternative and only if it is done to protect one's country or the rights of greater humanity... did the Iraq war pass that test? No. Did Afghanistan? I say yes. Would World War 3 be a good thing, NO NO NO and Palin and McCain with their bomb bomb bomb Iran and talk of others as axis of evil cartoons, and their serving the profits of the rich who profiteer off of war, do I think they are prolife.. NO. Do I think shooting wolves out of planes and moose as a child for sport, show prolife in someone's heart where it counts, I say NO. Do I think viscously lying to defame a person based on their being loosely associated with a reformed radical that the government, university employing him and town and community he lives in, even the staunch republicans who fund the charity board they are on, does trying to destroy and lable someone a terrorist and inciting a crowd to have one yell kill him, when it is a man like Obama who has lived a good clean life searching for knowledge and truth and love and being forgiving and kind and helpful to people, is that what I expect a good Christian to do to him.. NO... Sarah Palin is the biggest hypocrite phoney power hungry egomaniac that in my opinion is no good for any woman.. ask the librarian she tried to ruthlessly fire for doing her job, or her opponent for Mayors wife who she dragged through the mud because she, heaven forbid, kept her maiden name.... These women are in laylay land, so they can down their cocktails, or psychotropic drugs, or brainwashing for the uninformed and drink the Sarah Palin coolaid... I don't relate to them and they embarass me as a woman quite frankly!

October 9, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  45. C,CA

I am proud to say that I do not relate to Palin – I have a brain. Palin is a power-crazed moron. She is inciting lunatics at her rallies to threaten Obama's life and does nothing to stop them. "Golly, ya betcha I wanna kill em too". Yes, she is certainly the example of a loving mother.

She has some nerve asking who is Barack Obama when she has been around for "5 weeks" and no one is allowed to question her background.

What is this odd church she belongs to? Ceremonies to protect her from witchcraft – They believe we are in the end-of-days – "Joe Six-pack" is actually her husband, who was arrested on a DUI – Abuse of power allegations – Why does she use private email accounts for official business – Why is the husband (another moron) involved in State business? – Why is there no birth record for this poor infant that she slings around like a campaign button? – She is obviously racist and anti-semitic – She does not believe in science (global warming, etc) – Not to mention her backwards thinking anti-women, anti-environmental views.

Oops, sorry. Those are mean, sexist, gotcha journalism, none-of-our-business questions that we are not allowed to ask.

October 9, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  46. Deirdre

It's so nice that these women have found someone who has the same set of values on the issues that they do; but do they think they are qualified to be the next president for our country. I wish they would look at the whole picture and not just their little world.

October 9, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  47. Janice Tyree

No, I cannot relate in a positive way to Sarah Palin. I have listened to Palin and it hasn't taken me long to come to know she is not the type of person I want representing me and this Country. Since Hillary was not the nominee, after considering both sides, Republicans & Democrats, I have decided that Obama/Biden is the only way to go. The way John McCain and Palin have eluded the issues and spread hate towards Obama it should be criminal, if it isn't. It is my main concern that McCain/Palin are going to get Obama hurt if someone in the Republican party doesn't stand up and tell McCain/Palin to get to the issues and leave the hate behind. The McCain/Palin campaign is the most untrue, hateful campaign I have seen in forty-three years.
    Janice.

October 9, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  48. Connie Osborn

I can't relate to Sarah Palin on any level. I was a supporter of Hillary, not just because she is a woman, but because she is tough, smart, and saavy to the ways of Washington. I could probably carry on a conversation with Gov. Palin, like one of the girls, but I believe the Vice President of the US should be a lot smarter than I am and it does not appear as though that is the case with Gov. Palin.

October 9, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  49. Papasan in Arizona

How Palin rates as a good mother is completely ridiculous and hypocritical, she never picks up her new born, teen age un-wed daughter pregnant, and her disturbing megalomaniac love affair with herself. We don't call that good parenting in the USA. I don't want my child relating to Sarah Palin, EVER! She doesn't represent any form of mainstream America and never will.
    P.S. Gun happy, slang talking, backward hillbilly is not USA's idea of a Mother...

October 9, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  50. carol smith

I do not relate at all to Palin. She is inexperienced, unprofessional, and will take women back to the stone ages.

October 9, 2008 at 2:16 pm |