October 9th, 2008

Obama's race is receding

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/09/art.obama.speech.jpg]
Joe Klein
Time.com

We are witnessing something remarkable here: Obama's race is receding as he becomes more familiar. His steadiness has trumped his skin color; he is being judged on the content of his character. But there is a real challenge — and opportunity — inherent in his success. Obama has taken some inspired risks in this campaign. His willingness to propose more governmental control of the health-care market is a prime example. But he has also been very cautious, a typical politician in many ways. The most obvious is in his resolute unwillingness to deliver bad news or make any significant demands on the public. Neither he nor McCain had anything but platitudes to offer when asked what sacrifices they would ask of the American people. Worse, when Brokaw asked if he thought the economy was going to get worse before it gets better, Obama flatly said, "No. I'm confident about the economy."

That was, no doubt, the politic answer. But not the correct one. Obama was underestimating the public's capacity to hear the truth — which is odd, since the national desire for substance, the unwillingness to be diverted by "lipstick on a pig" trivialities, has been so striking in this campaign. Everyone knows this recession is going to hurt, that there will be a price for our profligacy and that some hard shoveling will be necessary to get out of this hole. Indeed, that knowledge is what has made Obama's success possible. But if he wants to do more than merely succeed, if he wants to govern successfully, he is going to have to trust the people as much as they are beginning to trust him. After years of happy talk from politicians, that is the change we really need.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Joe Klein • Raw Politics
  1. Rey - NY

Its hard to believe that McCain/Palin are God fearing people. Just saying that a person can not change because of there past and I'm refering to Ayer's.Who appointed McCain/Palin as God to forgive anyone for there past. This is where the real hatred stem from. Mr Ayer's has payed for his sins just look at what he does for the people of that community.

October 9, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  2. Very Concerned

I am deeply saddened and concerned with the direction this election is heading. The beauty of democracy is our right to choose, yet the McCain/Palin camp decided that our choice should be based on hateful words and by getting the masses all worked up with racism and hatred. I am very afraid that something really bad is going to happen. Our family has been a Republican family all our lives. After what we are witnessing, every family member is voting for the Obama/Biden ticket. Never have I ever seen such a cowardly act! The gutter politics taking place by McCain when people are hungry, losing their homes and have no money for retirement. I don't want to hear trash talking when my husband and I should be getting ready to retire but will not be able to.

When I listen to "kill him! he's a terrorist! I am not voting for the black boy!" I only get disgusted with the Republicans and for the first time in 58 years, we are voting Democrat. Those nasty words will not put the money back in my 401K! That's the conversation I would like to hear John McCain and Sarah Palin.

October 9, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  3. EJ (USA)

Isn't McCain's hairline receding as well?

October 9, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  4. Lexie, PA

I really hope we are living in 2008 and not 1960's and back. I hope we did get past racism in our country. Of course, we still have the Palin's and McCain's out here stirring up racial trouble. McCain needs to ask himself, just what if one of these knock-head, hatred mongrols decide it's time for them to do something to put a stop to Obama? If someone gets hurt or just maybe killed, Can you live with yourself McCain? Knowing McCain he will find a way to blame Obama. Stop the hatred John! You have lived through the ugly past of civil rights era and living in the south, you know the hatred that came from this era. Don't bring it back. You've lived your life. Let the younger generation live amongst each other in peace and without the hatred that you are bringing back.

October 9, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  5. Melissa

I am so proud of Obama. First, because he is an intelligent afro-american male. Who would have ever thought this would happen in our lifetime? Obama is so poised, calm, and level-headed in his character. He is the best man for this time. McCain is old and stuck on the war. He does not know how to come down to the level of real common American people. He and wife Cindy( a vogue want-a-be) are rich. They are not worried about us. Obama is a normal man who came from the real world. He relates. Michelle is his help mate in the real sense of the word. They compliment each other and together will be able to run this country with the help of the Lord. It is so time for a change and Obama is the man to bring it!

October 9, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  6. Mike from San Jose

I'm not thrilled with having the choices we have in our Presidential candidates. Personally, I think anyone in current office should not be allowed to spend 2 years running for another office. It is not possible for them to be paid to the do the job the people elected him/her to do in the first place. I like McCain more than I like Obama, but his age is a factor I cannot get past. I cannot see Palin running the country. There is something I don't trust about Obama. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he joined the Senate in late 2004 and effectively declared his candidacy for the Presidency 2 years later in early 2007. He has not done anything to earn my trust.

October 9, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  7. M.C.Mays Pulliam

Take a look at John McCains face when confronted with racist and angry hecklers at his rallies,
    i don't think he realizes the magnitude of his decision to not put a halt to negative and dirty politics by his running mate Sarah Palin and others ....
    Dividing America racially sets it back decades,
    decades that cannot be relived for the obvious reasons.
    WE are all in this TOGETHER,
    the GREATEST EXPERIMENT in the history of mankind the mixing of many races and cultures in one country, under one flag with one goal
    FREEDOM , so as the world watches we must decide to end RACISM and think and act as one we have bigger issues ....

October 9, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  8. Curtis Wimer

I'm a lifelong Republican voter. Not this time. I am not sure why these HATE rallys are being allowed. McCain has lost his mind, or maybe he always thought it was OK to act that way. The Alaskan Independence party has ties to southern white supremist groups. Can we ask Todd Palin about that? Their entire campaign should be shut down.

McCain needs to realize if he insites riots, the American people will rise up against him. We in the South know about rising up and we will, but not in the way McCain thinks. Senator Obama has my support and is the man I will vote and fight for.

Curtis Wimer
    Staunton, Virginia

October 9, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  9. Victoria from Missouri

I get this feeling that all the people who have rose up with violence and hateful remarks during the McCain/Palin rallies have already ended up with their names on some sort of list 🙂 Keep on rallying, the list is getting bigger.

October 9, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  10. Age 12 Blogger

I hope we make history in Nov., not by electing the first african-american president, (that would deeply please the media), but by choosing a Truly, Truly qualified man for the job.

Please...for my sake.

October 9, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  11. Andre

Race seems to prevail over judgement in this country and this no-doubt has been our legacy. This is evidenced by history and reflected in the tactics of the McCain/Palin campaign in their attempts to redefine who Senator Obama is.

Power, Wealth and Privilege are never willingly relinquished; they are taken. The old guard, The old ideals; are struggling to maintain and will go to great lengths to do so. Race is everything in this race. It's truely sad to see the GOP in the status qou's reactions to their own failures.

October 9, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  12. Grok

Cindy,

The truth is never revealed in a single short platitude.

The fact that Obama needs to speak about an issue and explain his viewpoint is a positive and not a negative.

Short little platitudes are often flawed ploys to persuade a listener without actually considering the deeper issues. The sad fact is that it works so often.

There is nothing wrong with using our brains... God must have given them to us for something, right?

October 9, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  13. jack church

The only changes you will have with Obama is the 1st and 2nd ammendments, and Higher taxes. Not the change Im looking for.

October 9, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  14. Karen

Race will always play a part in our American Elections. The good thing is that party is getting smaller. As we American get to know and understand each other we are finding out it's not so much about the color of your skin and it is about what you stand for. Obama has ran as the people President. McCain has run as a man who wants to be President so bad that he would do anything and say anything to get it. I see him as a very dangerous man someone who will only hurt this countries standing more in the long run.

Vote For Change. We need it!!

October 9, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  15. Cindy

I have been waiting for months to hear one Obama supporter tell me what he has done in his political life. They just say he is for change!! That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of. Sometime a few months after January, if he gets to be president, some of you will wake up to reality and see that you are going to be worse off than you can imagine...With the economy the way it is tanking, don't humor me and tell me you really believe in his promises.....if you do, I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you. By the way, tell your candidate to quit skirting the issues of his "connections" and answer the questions and quit flip flopping>>>

October 9, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  16. William Wallace

Can some one answer my question please? Barack Obama could really go after John McCain the same as he is attacking him, Why hasn’t Barack Obama Brought up the fact that John McCain Was one of last senators to hold out on making Martin Luther King Day a holiday in Arizona after the rest of the country agreed to it? Is John McCain a racist?

October 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Joyce Browne

I feel that it is the responsibility of Homeland Security and our Secret Service, FBI to put a stop to the McCain rhetoric. They are proving to be terrorist that are inciting acts of crime against American citizens and the Federal Government.

They should be censored because inciting racial attacks in 2008 will not be like 1965....so unless we are all safe...none of us is safe..

October 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  18. James Dean

It is my oppinion that if you actually listen to the words that Obama says you will hear the specifics youve been looking for. He has talked specifically on the economy: when elected president he will created jobs through the development of clean energies and which will spur on the markets. Why is this hard to grasp? Im not sure how this means he is avoiding the truth either, because to me this says he is confident. Confident that he will be the next president of the United States, and if that is the case why not be confident? Change is comming, lets embrace it.

October 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  19. Mary Oklahoma

I respect African Americans as a race but I can not support a man, regardless of race, who will not tell the truth himself and when conforted with the truth calls another person names or says he/she is racist. The Democrats are the party 90% rersponsible for our economic chaos, but refused to do anything when confronted two years ago.
    I have carefully researched the candidates and find Senator Obama lacking in so many areas. Yes, he is a good speaker but lacks integrity, experience, judgment and honesty. Far too many voters base their selection on a 30 second sound bite or what a person looks like. I simply do not feel Senator Obama connects with middle America working people or ideals.

October 9, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  20. Doug

I laugh at those that don't believe a person character and past associations should be a factor.

How many of you think David Duke's past shouldn't be brought up if he were running for public office. He dis run in LA. and it was brought up and he lost as he should have. The same people that are knocking the republicans would be out in the streets threatening war and revolution if David Duke's past was kept quiet.

Because of the nutty left, most people who don't intend to vote for Obama will not admit it and/or lie when asked for fear of being called a racist. Not beacause they are racist. This election will come down to race, but it will be because there is a beleif that a man that has had the associations that Obama has had must believe in alot of the racist rhetoric remarks made by them.

I would be willing to bet that the polls are not even close to what the final result will be. If I'm wrong will then I will just choose investments to protect my money from taxation and wait till the next time.

October 9, 2008 at 9:50 pm |
  21. Courtney Love

Hi Anderson,

I realize that you guys are maybe trying to put the fears to rest about this race card being played but it's not working. Reading stories about how more people are looking past his tone of skin pales in contrast to the possibility of people being staged at Mccain/Palin rallies crying out "terrorist" and "kill him". If this WAS a white man these types of things wouldn't have been stood for and people would have immediately distanced themselves from the individuals that continue to plague and sicken us with these hateful words. And for the record, I am a black women who was well prepared to vote for RON PAUL.

America is tired of this mess, black and white alike. This is a sad day for everything that we preach to our children we've overcame and have been more tolerant of. Black people require no explanation as to their success, prestige or anything else. We KNOW as a race where we've been..however, as a collective consciousness of people here in the US we have a big problem, the elephant in the room. John Mccain should be removed from the presidential race as he nor Palin have denounced ANY of these comments being yelled from their crowd of supporters.
    I will vote for Obama, not because he's black, but because he has enough sense not to play into this sick madness..him or his wife.

GROW UP AMERICA and pay attention to whose really doing what around you!

October 9, 2008 at 8:56 pm |
  22. lauren

Obama is helping bring the best out of people, and McCain is bringing out the hate. God bless this great nation that we may get beyond anything.

October 9, 2008 at 8:54 pm |
  23. lampe

I am sorry, but anyone, who has lost money in the last couple of weeks with their stocks and bonds, or retirement funds, can not afford to vote for Obama. He wants to raise your taxes on your dividends, Is he willing to give you back the money you lost, before he raises your taxes? I don't think so. I am already paying for someone else's stupid mistakes, why should I have to pay more. No more taxes, means NO-OBAMA.

October 9, 2008 at 8:48 pm |
  24. Rose From Calif

Debate

Obama and McCain, is going to have a debate,
    Hopefully it;s not late.
    To know who the best, Obama is a Democrate, and McCain is a Republican.
    Their views are different, but is this country ready?
    To have a young and fresh ideas, or is American's afraid to look beyond this?
    Only time will tell, if our economic don't go to hell!
    To vote right, is really out of sight.
    So, please go out and vote, and don't gloat.
    Make a dfferences, to our next President.
    Let's not quarral, help change our world!

By Rose Loya

October 9, 2008 at 8:38 pm |
  25. Kim R

I agree with Susan .... when I read his race is receeding, I thought you meant Obama's lead in the polls not his skin color. It made me giggle. I grew up in a desegregated public school district, went to college in now live in a city. When I look at a Republican rally, I don't know where that place is. I have never been there. (Thank God!)

October 9, 2008 at 8:38 pm |
  26. Dee

It is both shameful and sinful the sick mentality of Palin a confessed believer in GOD and McCains poisonous attacks on Barrack and this country. They are leading this country 50 years backwards without realizing that all Americans are much wiser and stronger mentally. The blood with be on there hands if violence of race and hatred breakout in this country as a result of their sick mentaility and poisonous tactics. Palin is power hungry and evil and McCain is deseparate. Neither really gives a good hoot about the American people.

October 9, 2008 at 8:31 pm |
  27. Candy Wilson

Very Good Words from all above me.. I read a story last night on the blogger page about Michele from a gal who talked about a young man in an airport who was waiting for a flight.. The person in front of him needed money for baggage or something and he ended up paying this for them.. she said she so relieved and would reimburse as sonn as she got home..which she did.. she said the young man was Barack Obama.. I just wish you all could find the story and do a follow up or something.. he needs a little good pub to balance out all the negativity

October 9, 2008 at 8:24 pm |
  28. parker

This is ridiculous. Race doesn't have a thing to do with it, for me. It's all about the issues, the past performance of the candidates, and their belief system. If you REALLY believe that your taxes are going to actually be decreased, you really haven't been paying much attention the last twenty years. Obama wants health care for every individual. How do you think he'll pay for this? The answer is: YOUR taxes. I guess I'm different. I'd rather decide what to do with MY money than have the government spend it for me. However, if you're in the demographic that doesn't have to pay taxes because of your income situation, I can see how you'd jump in line for more free government hand-outs. Health care is only one issue I can bring up and I'll leave it at that. The more rights/responsibilities you hand over to the government, the less decision-making ability you'll have. I don't want to insult anyone on here, I'm just pointing out a different perspective. I hope you'll respect my views and take them into consideration.

Thank you.

October 9, 2008 at 8:18 pm |
  29. belladonna

Question? So why was it easy for people to accept Arnold schwarzenegger as the governor of California, who is a naturalized citizen than Obama who was born on the soil and one of his parents is American? O I know! Arnold is white and Obama is not...

October 9, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  30. shay

McCain/Palin is not the right choice in my eyes because if they are not speaking out on the racisim that is present then to me they cannot be trusted. It's understandable that their are some people were raised in a racist environment but times have truley changed and it's time for a change in our leaders. Can't blame the democrats for everything.

October 9, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  31. mssche in ga

For those who think that McCain will be bring change after he clearly follows and believe in Bush, then you clearly have not been paying attention. If someone can be as disrespectful in the matter of not stopping hatred or vulgar comments at their speeches then what does that tell everyone. For those who have enjoyed the last 8 years in America I can see what mind set you have but for those of us who have been affected and are sick and tired of it, it's time to make a change.

October 9, 2008 at 7:59 pm |
  32. Larry

Yep, his race to the white house will come to a swift halt when the DOJ discovers he is the leader of the biggest voter fraud organization in our history, ACORN; barney franks says no fed money goes to ACORN, franks should be on the comedy network. Obama. himself, has put nearly a $1 million into ACORN; they are being investigated in 8 states for registering dead people and people that never existed. They hire people to fill out voter registration cards for the same person over and over.
    Even CNN has admitted not wanting to embarrass obama.

October 9, 2008 at 7:58 pm |
  33. chuck

The great Martin Luther King said" we shall overcome some day" and finally I'll be able to witness a remarkable feat I never thought i would see in my lifetime. It's not about colour and should never be,Obama is Beating John McCain to every punch with wisdom and understanding. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BARACK AND JOE.

October 9, 2008 at 7:51 pm |
  34. Mel

How many of you have been in front of a crowd? The speakers have nothing to do with the excitement or quietness of a crowd before they step on the stage. Who knows maybe the Obama supporters are in the crowds as well. One outburst at the right time can explode. What the politicians do to control the crowd should be what we focus on.

October 9, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  35. Chet Bright

John McCain has shown himself to be anything but consistent, but in a negative way. Now his wife is willing to use on of their own kids in their political desperation to paint Obama as unpatriotic. Before the year of the surge, how does the McCains justify the deaths of all those other Americans? The Republican party has stopped to the lowest levels of dishonorable and unimaginable depths of scum, and McCain is "at the helm" as he always likes to throw in his references to his self-glorified military service. The next time McCain talks about deregulation, Obama needs to remind him that there is a difference between deregulation and negligence, the kind of negligence on the part of the FDA that endangered almost every child in America; how are food is tainted. McCain is the most embarassing candidate ever (even worse than Bush) and his wife shows no tact or demonstration that she's in any more touch with the rest of us than her husband. Sarah Palin is a joke and unworthy to even hold the office of Mayor.

October 9, 2008 at 7:40 pm |
  36. Mel

Has everyone forgotten to look closely at what Obama has said? His plan to MAKE everyone have health care is the death of this country. As a small buisness owner there is NO way I can insure all my employees, I will have to shut my buisiness doors. Over 70% of this country either owns or works for a small buisiness- will this happen to them also? If Obama is President, Healthcare for all= no jobs, no small buisiness, no economy, complete country shut down. What will life be like for kids? PEOPLE WAKE UP!

October 9, 2008 at 7:34 pm |
  37. Nefertiti

Anderson Cooper and CNN. I am a 51 year ago American, I am not African, I am 100% American, And I am very fearful of the state of the McCain / Palin reallies they are stirring racism and hatered like I have never since before this country needs to get together and not to be divided by the by the Republican Canidates and no one is telling them what they are doing is very dangerous. It needs to stop.talk about the issues and how they can fix them .

October 9, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  38. Ellen

You are about to vote for Obama's Socialism/Marxism and the government is going to be all up into your business. It is a sad sad day when the people of American stop being free and have to live under the Socialism this man will bring to the country.

I also find it ironic that it is okay for Obama and his croonies and the MSM (CNN=Obama CNN) can go out and find all the dirty stuff they can on Sarah Palin and bring it up over and over...but it is not alright to do that to Mr. Precious Obama.

October 9, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  39. Alan in AZ

I desire truth and also know what truth is. Thus my capacity has not been diminished along with millions of other Americans. I do not desire substance as the media portrays it to be. I understand substance to be that which I hope for, the evidence of things I have yet to see. The thing most odd, is that someone really thinks the American people at large are some how detered by the a “Lipstick on a Pig” comment or "Botox for Biden" when we have not been. This election will come and go just like Jimmy Carters but God help either candidate in 2008 that believes that "government by the people and for the people" has perished from the face of the earth for they will find their terms short lived as well. Americans don't care about how much a new President says he knows until they know and see how much he truely cares for those he governs.

October 9, 2008 at 7:25 pm |
  40. Kathi, CA

If Joe is right – one wonderful outcome of this political season, even if he's not actually elected. On the one hand a hopeful sign of the intelligence, basic fairness, & collective maturation in values of our uniquely American culture. On the other hand a sad note that a non-white person's ethnicity & skin color still have to "recede" over time as they become known by their words and actions for who they really are underneath their physical appearance. How long before that is no longer necessary......I'm 61, will I live to see that day?

October 9, 2008 at 7:25 pm |
  41. Brenda

John McCain is so desperate that he is willing to divide this country with his hateful campaigning. He is declining in the polls because he is off message, his campaign strategy is failing, he lost two debates and he selected the wrong VP. What he is showing Americans is he will do anything to become President. This election is not about the Presidency ...it is about the people. This year the young, the old, the rich and the poor, blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, native americans and others are standing together and saying ENOUGH! We are taking back this country from the crooked politicians and greedy CEOs who want to make fast and easy money with no consideration of the Middle Class.

In eight years, Bush put us in the deepest deficit. Bush has looked the other way while bankers and Wall Street acted like bandits. Bush got us into a war and has spent our tax dollars on a war we should not be in. Do not say the Democrats tax and spend– Get you facts straight!!

October 9, 2008 at 7:21 pm |
  42. Unbelievable

This has nothing to do with skin color. It has everything to do with experience, judgement, and character. Obama has none of the above. McCain has them all. Wake up!

October 9, 2008 at 7:21 pm |
  43. Lucy

Let's encourage McLosers and Cindy to stop the insults, NOW.

October 9, 2008 at 7:09 pm |
  44. Bru

This election was not really about RACE until the Obama kitchen cooked it up – knowing the obvious – they played the RACE Card, as in any game play you do what you can and use whatever to your advantage. This presidential race was and still is about real leadership, real qualifications, real guts and real courage. The democrats really trumped up RACE by the direction and guidance of the democratic good ol'boys who happen to have something in common with the republican good ol'boys their knees shook at the thought of a possible strong, qualified, dignified, intelligent, caring woman of power (NOT PALIN!). Thus, the easy manipulation to erase any blatant sexist manuverings as imaginative or hormonal flights of fancy and they reeled in the gullible mass so easily. There is plenty of negative brutal campaigning from both sides. McCain and Obama's people are so hungry for power it is nauseating seeing them do the mating dance for the American people and neither emerging as true leaders just dancers on a string. I feel sorry for us Americans, we have become a nation of sheeps...we are gullible and broke.

October 9, 2008 at 7:07 pm |
  45. John Disario,Boston,Ma

it doesnt matter who gets elected
    there will be no money to spend

October 9, 2008 at 7:07 pm |
  46. Mary from Indiana

have been a supporter of Obama from the beginning. 51 yrs. married and husband owns small business Like what he has planned for middle-class. He is willing to see our struggles, thats more than I can say about McCains ticket.
    Just finished reading the article in Rolling Stone on John McCain, think more people should read all about this guy. He is out to win at all cost,and has lived his life that way for along time. Scary if you ask me.

October 9, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  47. MB

If Obama doesn't win this election it will be a reflection of the level of hate and racism in the US which will be broadcasted to the world. Obama's lead should already be much greater than it is given the integrity and leadership we see from him compared with the sad fearful hate tactics we see from the McCain campaign.

October 9, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  48. Rosie

To Jan from Wood Dale IL
    You say, " people tend to hear only the first part, but fail to hear the rest".
    So my question to you is, if only the first part can be heard, how did you hear the last part?
    The problem is, because of the generations of misinformation and mislabelling of the African-American's, this young man is a shock to the very core of America's historical characterization of African-American's.

October 9, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  49. Beth/ Waco, Texas

Just so that people like Cindy in GA knows, not all of us from the deep south care about the color of Sen. Obama's skin. I am a senior white voter, and I have been in Sen Obama's camp since the 2004 Dem Convention. He is highly intelligent, charismatic, calm, steady, a good family man, a born leader, and God knows we need him in these troubled times. As Christians, we should not judge him on his skin color, rather, if for nothing else, the hope and inspiration he is bringing to this country in the crisis we are in. Our country can't afford four more years of the same policies we have now, and we certainly can't afford any more of the allienation and ill-will from the rest of the world brought on by the current administration. America is a great nation, but we need the rest of the world, just as they need us, and a born respected leader can rebuild the world's faith and confidence in us again.

October 9, 2008 at 6:42 pm |
  50. Michael

When Sen. McCain accuses Sen. Obama of voting for earmarks or pork barrel votes, didn't McCain vote for the 700+180 billion dollar bailout/rescue package that has been reported to have earmarks or “pork” issues. I thought, "that one," Sen. McCain would absolutely not vote for these kinds of things and then name names. He forgot to name his own name.

October 9, 2008 at 6:40 pm |