October 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/9/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Stephanie

With regards to your "10 Most Wanted Culprits" list, II believe those you are naming are all seriously involved in the economic crisis that is effecting me negatively as everyone else and they should pay for it....but is your list a bit out of the McCarthy era?....that scares me too.

October 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Good night Anderson, Erica and best bloggers......
    Have a good night, sleep tight!
    See you tomorrow night!
    day of the shot with Nancy Grace!!!!!!!! she is my favorite anchor fan!!!!!!

October 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  3. Jacqui Chan

oh that's to funny alot of people knock her but she's very sweet

October 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  4. adriana

thats funny erica you guys are fun

October 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Heather,ca

Oh god! I have always thought that they should be sisters

October 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  6. David, Indiana

No it's not a class president election, but I think the repubs and running behind they have to resist the temptation to go negative

October 9, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  7. John C

I nominate B. Frank and C. Dodd for your "Top 10 Culprits" list.

October 9, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  8. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

What a great job Nancy Grace has–judge, jury, and executioner! And all with the blessing of a major news network–WOW!

October 9, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Brij

I hope you have the Credit agency as part of your culprits as well because they more mismanaged than AIG, Lehman, Fredie, Fenny & Indie Mac combine.

October 9, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Robert Sheldon

Ali does great work in explaining the economic situation. I have a wild suggestion, for all of us that have lost almost 40% of our IRA savings, we should be allowed to deduct all the loss on our 2008 taxes. That will make us big losers eligible for a big tax refund in 2009. That will be our bailout for working hard, paying our bills and saving for retirement.

Who agrees?

October 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Gary

Oh, Obama tries to distance himself from ANOTHER radical group with "we havn't worked with ACORN in the general election.

October 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  12. mary

For the top 10 list of crooks. How about the guys who invented the toxic adjustable mortgages. Charles Keating of Lincoln and Anglo Mozilo of Countrywide for resurrecting this toxic loan for homeowner.

October 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Melinda

It does seem slow. This voting thing is scary. There will be a lot of late voters and registrators this year and I hope we finally get the voting thing fixed for once and all.

October 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Heather,ca

I think registering to vote should be as difficult as applying for a passport or social security card. Acorn is a criminal organization.

October 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Chris - Toronto, Canada

Not that it matters to you guys, as we up here don't vote for the US presidency. But just to add flame to the fire, the last poll taken up here, 75% of all Canadians would vote for Barack Obama. So you tell me who would be the best man when it comes to international relations.

October 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Brit

I think congress failed to watch out for tax payers. Senator asked how much AIG directors were paid instead of exploring potential regulation which could prevent this in the future, because crisis with AIG or Lehman had less to do with executive compensation and more to do with bad business decision making and lack of regulations or monitoring. Legislation like Sarbanes Oxley act failed to prevent this disaster which tells us how much congress or senate is disconnected from Main/Wall street.

October 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Wayne

Does anyone recall the Boston Tea Party 0f 1773 that led to the American Revolution of 1776? England was getting fat by riding the backs of the Americans through undue taxation without representation. When is enough enough?!

October 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse NY

Let's see, ACORN is practicing massive voter fraud and Obama worked with ACORN. What a surprise! Community organizers at work.

October 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Erica,
    I have one too I always refresh and upload over and over.

October 9, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Melinda

The winks and nods may be folksy to some, but they are really not appropriate to most professional women that I have spoken with.

October 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  21. merrell

Sarah Palin does not speak for me: no fan here. If you want to talk about authenticity, intelligence and class let's speak about Michelle Obama. She is everything Palin is not.

October 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Liz from MI

I think those women are fooling themselves if they think Mrs. Palin has much support beyond the conservative base – even most of the conservatives I know have serious doubts about her.

October 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  23. Jim M. in Atlanta

Yes the Blog is super slow tonight

October 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I was always suspicious of those ridiculous numbers of newly registered voters the Obama campaign was boasting about.

October 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Oh no! not good news for voters!!! It is fraud vote!!! keep going dig up keep them honest!!!! Good job!

October 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  26. ericacnn

does the blog seem slow to anyone else tonight? even with this snazzy new laptop, mine is v. sluggish and takes forever to refresh and upload... ??

October 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  27. David K.

Get rid of the markets all together, they are just a highly sophisticated way of gaining control of the human thought process by connecting us to forces greater than ourselved which are not in our sphere of influence. Now our government and other governments around the world have a perfect excuse to continue grabbing more power from the people in their continued effort to subjegate us further. Conspiracy you say….the world today has been founded upon a history of conspiracies

October 9, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  28. DanD

Anderson, Maybe Ali can tell your viewers what the difference is between what the government is considering doing with the banks in return for their stock and nationalism.

October 9, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Tim Spring Hill, FL

Anyone ever gone into a used car lot? Whats the 1st line that is used to sell you a lemon? "Have got cream puff for you MY FRIEND."

October 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Jatovi, NC

This confuses me. These women had never heard of Palin until he announced her. Is it really just because she is a woman?

October 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Lisa --MI

OH PLEASE! Sarah Palin is not behaving in a Christian manner! Bold, authentic, truth telling? Give me a break!

October 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Vickie

Hi Erica,

I agree with David Gergen, it's not over until it's over. These Christians women who are in love with Palin, I just don't get it. What Palin personifies is not Christainty. Palin is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

October 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  33. David- TX

these people talk about palin on the cover of newsweek, mccain keeps talking about obama associations.......do these people really have any idea what is going on in this country........who cares who I can hang out with or who I can have a beer with, I just want a smart president for once in my life time

October 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  34. C.C. Douglas

When you list your culprits of collapse, you might seriously consider adding two names. Acorn, which forced banks to lend money to many who could not afford the mortgages given to them, creating much the sub-prime mess. And Barney Frank who was quoted not long ago saying everything was stable in the sub-prime area.

You're looking at the end of the game, start looking at this from the beginning and you'll find this wasn't the entire fault of the Republicans by any means.

October 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  35. Dee

Good grief Anderson...you seemed surprised when Gergen suggested his concern things could get viiolent as a result of the rage displayed at McCain Palin rallies. Many of us have had that fear for days...get your blinders off!! Begala is right, this isnt equal on both sides...McCains campaign is to blame here!!! You have an obligation to try to control this ....as responsible journalists!

October 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Katie of Davis, Ca

You know... those Florida women inspired me to light a St Jude candle to elect Obama

At least he isn't trying to incite a riot ...

October 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  37. madjouga, brooklyn

Americans are hypocritical because we accusing Bill Ayers for been a terrorist... bombing bla bla bla... but he still working as an American elementary education theorist! Why do people still talk to him if he is such a bad person? all his students and college should be then consider as terrorist? the University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Education should be close?

October 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  38. Shawn

Anderson,

I really love your show. I just wanted to say that I feel that the bail out did not work for us, the people of th middle class. I am still living from pay check to pay check. I really feel that there is no relief in sight.

Shawn
    Tampa, FL

October 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Like it or not some people like Governor Palin. Tolerance is a two way street. Not all of America agrees with that, but Republicans are American citizens too. To suggest that's not the case is dangerous to us as a nation.

October 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Thair

The American people will not regain their trust and confidence in the financial system unless people who are responsible for this economic collapse will be brought to trial and pay for their crimes with huge fines and long term prison time.

October 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  41. jane

Thank you, Mr. Bagali, for saying the negativity has not been equal among each campaign. Obama has conducted a mostly civil campaign in my opinion.
    I think Sen. McCain is being his own worst enemy. I also think he should be ever mindful of what he wants his legacy to be.
    Good discussion.

October 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Gary

When you go to the polls to vote, take your drivers license, birth certificate and other id. Tell the poll worker you want them to check your id and everyone who votes, even if your state law says they don't have to ask you. We must STOP voter fraud and ACORN and OBAMA from stealing YOUR vote.

October 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Sara Anderson

Does anyone else think it possible, or even likely, that the two men who 'spoke up' at the Wisconsin McCain rally might have been plants put there by the McCain campaign?

October 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Chaz Thomson

No one talks about the Federal Reserve being a private corporation, established via legislation, and how it lends money to the goverment at intrest. This only leads the nation to be forever in debt.

October 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Tom

Thanks for the 10 most wanted. Somehow they need to be held accountable or at least identified.

October 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Dan Lange

Anderson,

Remember to add Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd to your Culprits of the Collapse 10 Most Wanted list. If they had not stopped the legislation to regulate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, we may very well not be in the financial situation we are in.

October 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Alexx

I have been closely watching the coverage on the financial collapse, but I still don't understand how this will effect college students like myself who are just a few years from entering the work force and markets. Could anyone clear this up for me?

October 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  48. kathy

These Wall Street fat cats need to go to jail...tomorrow. The arrogance of Fuld is amazing.

October 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Michelle

Who was the company Auditor??? Didn;t they know the company was failing? Aren't they part of the problem? What about the quarterly reports that come out??

I am no fool, this did not happen overnight.

October 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Ron from PA

The McCain/Palin campaign's desperate attacks are really sinking to a new low in our nation's history. These outbursts of anger do not appear to be random but, instead the result of a strategic and systematic effort to stoke up anger at campaign events and via their web and e-mail campaigns. I wonder what the McCain/Palin and the Karl Rove machine call this strategy internally–Operation Stoke Up Anger. This is really low and very risky!

October 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |