October 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/9/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Ann

Before I go out of my mind I am pulling my money out the bank !
    back to the old pilow case safe place for money

October 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Rebecca

I can't believe Sarah Palin has the nerve to say that Barack Obama will diminish the presidency. If they were real leaders and cared about the country and its future, Palin and McCain whould denounce the people at their rallies who yell "terrorist" and "Kill him!" Instead, they keep stoking the flames of hatred and encouraging divisiveness. It's disgraceful that they are encouraging this kind of rage and disrespect of a U.S. Senator and presidential candidate who, whether they like or not, may well be the next President. The country has to live with the results of this campaign for a long time. Is this the legacy McCain wants to be remembered for?

October 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Jacque Shaw

Obama needs to take a lie detector test to determine his affiliation with the terrorist, Bill Aheyrs. I believe before he is nominated, if he is, that the American citizens of the U.S. have the right to make this request.

October 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  4. ericacnn

good thursday evening, bloggers ~ ed rollins says it's over for mccain, gergen isn't sold. i think there's still a whole lotta politicking to come...nov 4 isn't here yet!

October 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Michelle

With the stock markets falling daily, now under 9K, unemployment high, homelessness on the rise, I sure have not heard a lot about how the heck we are going to get out of this mess tonight.
    Pretty much, all I hear is Palin and McCain,

Hey what is up with the words that they are using Hoolagians, shady, terrorist,

Why would Ed still vote for McCain? I want to know, exact reasons – not lies, truths.

October 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Azuree Ashby

Has anyone noticed that in the footage of the "socialist" upset guy, the lady behind him is mouthing the words he is speaking??? Does this mean that the comment was scripted?

October 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  7. DEE,North Carolina

Ed Rollins stated after the VP debate that McCain would need to have attack ads to stay in this race.

October 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Yvonne

Ed is right. It will be a landslide victory for Obama.

October 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Yolanda

Hi Cooper,

I was watching CNN News earlier today, i saw clip of McCain's Campaign. I laughed because it seems as if the McCain Campaign do not know where to go with its campaign. How do we know that they did not set up those supporters, in order to go on with there shady, sleezy, negative campaign/ ads on Obama? It seems as if its a stragedy for them. They are deperate. Stop the negativity and focus on the economy. I am a bit sorry for Palin because when she opens her mouth she makes McCain look like a fool. I am an outsider looking in.

October 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  10. James

If American citizens who defaulted on their home loans should be responsible for their actions, and thus have to forclose on their homes, then the corrupt executive... I mean chief executive officers of the banks on Wall Street should have to relinquish their severance packages, as well as be held accountable for their actions, which have caused America's current financial meltdown. American citizens are responsible for their actions; therefore, CEO's of Banks on Wall Street should be held responsible for our current meltdown, and should be forced to relinquish their severance packages, as well as be held accountable for their actions.

October 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  11. James in KC

Barack Obama is a Socialist? Wasn't it John McCain during the debate that said he would rely upon the government to develop alternative energy rather than incent the private sector to do so. He stated, "...once it gets into productive stages, that we ought to turn it over to the private sector."

Well "my friends" the definition of a Socialist system is:
    "Any of various theories or systems of social organization in which the means of producing and distributing goods is owned collectively or by a centralized government that often plans and controls the economy."

His answer sure sounded like someone who wanted to "own" and "control" the development of alternative energy.

October 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  12. laurie

Anderson,
    Why are the "culprits of the collapse' not held legally responsible for the destruction they have casued? Surely they could be brought up on criminal charges or is it that they have bought the administration as well? Seize their bank accounts, liquidate their assests....they have the money let's take it away from them!

October 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Kedja Thomas

I had hoped that hate wouldn't play a part in this election, but increasingly there seems to be an under current of implied racial hatred at McCain/Palen rallies. I have seen several truly scary videos online where it seems the GOP is encouraging the less intelligent to believe everything the GOP says and ignore anything from the Dems like you just can't trust them. I am afraid of the implications and possible outcome of such baiting.

October 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Stacy Virginia Beach

Thanks for being Honest Ed

October 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Tim Spring Hill, FL

When is McCain going to realize we are not his friends, If any of us stopped him on the street he wouldn't give us the time of day. McCain
    is throwing an enduring term around like he earned it. He is not our friend! He is an elected official who owes us some answers.

October 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  16. Lisa --MI

I find it frightening that McCain/Palin gatherings seem to add fuel to already existing racial/ethnic biases. I find it even more frightening that McCain/Palin appear to be orchestrating this!

October 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Lori

Anderson,

Regarding the economic bailouts –

It is mentioned that it is possible that we the taxpayers may "make money" over the long haul if the banks that we are "bailing out" make money down the road with the help of our investment. If we (the American Taxpayers) make money, in what way will we see that money? Tax credits? Maybe you can ask Ari ? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am not clear. Maybe other viewers are wondering this as well.

Thank you! You are awesome.

October 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  18. Clifford

The government didnt let the market reset itself but I'll bet they will let wages reset.

October 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Sonya

Anderson, all this anger from the republicans sound dangerous to me. Doesn't anyone fear for Obama's safety? Don't you think maybe the media needs to tone down Obama's lead in the polls? We know he's leading, it doesn't have to be announced everyday. I think Obama's lead is what's causing all this anger. I'm for Obama, I'm glad he's leading but I'm concerned because of all the hatred that's brewing. Someone will want to make a name for himself and this kind of anger might be enough to push someone over the edge.

October 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  20. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

This is not McCain or Palin's finest hour. Using anger as a tool to motivate people is desperate and inappropriate. The U.S. is "ONE," and we need to listen to each other, not tear each other apart using the "divide and conquer" method. We are displaying our weaknesses to the eyes of the world. I'm certain Bin Laden, etal are jumping for joy watching our election.

October 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Zach-Wisconsin

What Americans are looking for is someone to lead. We need John McCain to be a leader on the economy, formulate a plan, stick by his original beliefs and become a leader we can count on. Enough about petty figures of the past. All our futures are on thin ice.

October 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Lizbeth

I'm getting sick and tired of all this mud slinging. McCain shouldn't throw insults when he's no better. If anyone is guilt by association, then McCain being much older than Obama has himself been associated with a lot more ruthless people. Are you really belittling Obama because he's younger and hopefully would bring change to the "old men" government or because you trying awfully hard not to be considered racist.

October 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Linda from Chicago

I had planned to retire soon, but with my retirement accounts shrinking that isn't goling to be possible. My current plan is to continue working as long as possible, hoping to buy enough time for the market to rebound. I may shift some stock to bonds within the account, which I should be able to do without taxes and penalties.

October 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  24. adriana

From my understanding Senator Obama has clear the air is'nt that enough what else. lets get on with the real issue these are serious times folks and the media is no help either they go on and on.if your own followers saying to there leader why is it obama up ahead in the polls that most say some thing, people are more concern about there future than the negativeness come on.

October 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Pressley

Hopes for our country:
    McCain and Obama can stick to issues and sell themselves rather than bashing each other.
    People will realize the stock market represents companies and American workers – it is not a money machine. Now is the time to BUY into it.
    Media and talk show hosts will report unbiased news and ask good honest questions to experts.
    America will be back on track soon. Have faith in our strength!

October 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Linda Leniger

Next will be social upheavel. People are angry. Angry people do things they normally wouldn't do. They are no longer rational. My biggest worry right now is this anger is going to spill over and we could see stuff like we saw in the 60s.

If Obama was such a radical and McCain was irrational, why in the world are we just finding out about it now? Maybe because it isn't true... or is it becase they "fit in" and no one noticed. LOL..not really. Sob. My country is hurting and I am sad.

October 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Brenda

I feel like this money thing as been creeping up on us for awhile , about 3 years ago when they decided to increase miniumum amount payment on credit cards, then banks increased there interest rates 6% in less then 6 months where did all that money go. It has gone down hill for me with no increase on my pay check. I have seen some food items increase by 1.00 more, I know because I work in the business with food. What is going on?

October 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Sean McGrath

Regarding Financial Institutions, which are seeking government support via “700 billion bailout”. Has an investigation been considered or carried out into verifying whether any of these financial firms have taken part in short selling financial stock over the last 12 to 18 months. If so, who are they? And why are they not publicly exposed and made to disclose their profits from their actions.

Sean

Chilliwack, British Columbia
    Canada

October 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Ruth Graham

The anger and rage that the McCain/Palin campaign is generating is risky business and very dangerous to our entire population. I know that there are nuts out there, but are all of them at the McCain/Palin rallies? It would be very interesting if the two gentlemen that were shown today were actually PLANTS.. It seems terribly coincidental that at the same rally that one gentlemen was MAD, VERY MAD and making a fool of himself and another who just happened to be an African American went to John McCain and BEGGED John McCain to take the gloves off and get Obama. I wouldn't put it past the McCain group. So disappointed in John McCain – he is selling his soul to get elected.

October 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  30. AJ, Minneapolis

The McCain campaign is desperate. They rather have rallies fueled by hate. fear, and shouting out all sort of horrible things. McCain and Palin would rather divide our country on hate to win an election than to pick our country up.

October 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Karen B

Financial advisors on TV are now saying that if you have 20 years until retirement you should continue investing (yesterday it was 10 years and a week ago it was > 5 years...anyway, what if you are 50 and don't know when retirement will begin now after what has happened? Should we sell our stock fund shares and get into bonds & cash? I am thinking of taking the loss because the bottom keeps getting lower. Why don't you address the 50-55 year olds? Is it because if they all get out, the banks will close?

October 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Ruth M. , AL

Hello Anderson. Please pass this on to Ali for me. Thanks

Hey, Ali. Please address retirees with no 401K's or stock. Living on Soc. Sec. Modest home, low mortgage, no debt, small savings. What do we do to survive?
    Thanks.

Ruth M., Samson, AL

October 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Judy, Oregon

At what age does the advice to not make a paper loss become a real loss by selling off your 401k investments become the wrong way to go? Anderson's guests said if you're in your 30 or 40s. What about if you're 58, as I am? My nestegg was so small to begin with, this is killing me!

October 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Amy

30-40 percent losses on my retirement savings. Help! It feels like there's a parallel universe between the campaigns and what's happening in the world.

October 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Audrey

I don't understand why you criticize and take apart what McCain says at his rallies but you highlight what Obama says with no question or remark.

October 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Rene-Miami

Obama has a major advantage over Mcain for one mainly because from the beginning of his campaign he has focused on the issues and has built his campaign from a grassroots effort something Mcain doesnt or hasnt done there is no way Mcain can win at this time. Obama has a solid foundation from the start its very hard to crack what he has built in 20months. Not even the clintons were able to do it.

October 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Margaret Wilson

We need to support small businesses and buy American to make America a decent place to live and work. All these greedy people should be looked upon as parasites for sucking the life out of our country.

October 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  38. terrence

Why dont the Fed reserve give loans to individual Americans instead of these big companies.

October 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Keith S

The meltdown was caused by deregulation and financial companies dealing in derivatives they did not understand. Lending money for mortgages had nothing to do with it.

October 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Henry

Anderson,
    Six months ago my father-in-law (lives in the Villages, FL) told me that he was advised to get into a cash position by his finacial advisor. So that he could go shopping in the near future.

How many people are in this position and is there a particular subset who are in this position? Do the wealthy always get richer?

October 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  41. kevin

401k's when people lose there jobs and you cant afford to " roll over" your 401k's why is the government takeing another 10 percent taxes on top of the regular taxes. they have no business to that money you desprately need . I understand the goal is for retirement but that money could save your house now. example you have 100,000 dollars normal taxes for normal people is 30 percent there is 70,000 now then if your not 59 1/2 its 10,000 more now you have 60,00 that is a lot of needed money

October 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

OMG!

Asia is falling!

I agree....... yup!!! always falling again........ Ponraj (Philadelphia, PA)

October 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Miles

As McCain falls farther behind, I think we'll see Sarah start to split and gather Republican support for herself. She'll use the current disillusionment to further her own career.

She's still not clever enough to talk one on one with anyone but supporters. She doesn't know that though. She must be feeling pretty special right now. What's that old saying? Pride comes before the fall.

October 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Ron

I would appreciate if either Obama or McCain would be honest and admit that their tax cut plans have to be reviewed and we will need to increase taxes to repair the economy, pay for the entitlement burden of our retiring baby boomers, and provide health care to all!

The ability to cut taxes and reduce the size of government has gone out and we need new solutions to these problems.

Yet, both candidates are refusing to respond to this crisis and provide real answers about how they would repair our economy!

October 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  45. CAROLYN JONES

CANDY it only means he jumping all over the place, which he is.

October 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Gloria Chaplin

Due to the American history it is a little scary to see the republicans fans so mad! I think you know what I mean. Don't they realise that Bush -is a Rewpublican- and put you in this economical position and the whole world is paying? I'm from Argentina, we had several severe economic crisis, maybe we can borrow you some good financial managers to help you out! (Sorry if my spelling is not good, English is not my language)

October 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  47. George Schultz

Why, when all these knowledgeable people on retirement make their comments, do they overlook those people who are 70 years of age and older. Is it because those people do not count? They are also heavily invested in the stock market and their income supplement is derived from stock dividends. Or maybe these knowledgeable people don't have the answer!!

October 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Janice

What is Candy Crowley talking about? Experience and erratic are not opposites. McCain has/is definitely erratic, so why not just report the news and stop shilling for McCain!

October 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Rick Greene Knoxville,Tn

The Dow has dropped 39 % in the last year. My portfolio has only dropped 25 %. I'm doing great in this economy !

October 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Joanna, Singapore

I have just spent 6 months living in China. The difference between what they have and what the US has is a free press, that gives information to people on the street, and allows us to form opinions. Contrary to Palin's media attacks – I think Americans should be proud of the media.

October 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |