October 6th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Heels on, Gloves off

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Good morning people.

29 days to go until Election Day, and given the mud-slinging we’ve seen this weekend from the candidates, it’s not going to be pretty. Sarah Palin told a rally “the heels are on, the gloves are off” before launching into an attack questioning Barack Obama’s ties with 60’s radical William Ayers and telling folks “our opponent is someone who sees America as imperfect enough to pal around with terrorists who target their own country”.

Obama countered by telling a rally yesterday that McCain is trying to distract voters with smears rather than talking about substance and hit McCain’s health care plan. He also had mud to throw around too, and highlighted John McCain’s role in the Keating 5 scandal.(Charles Keating had built an empire on the life savings of elderly retirees, he was a political patron who later went on to prison for fraud in connection with the collapse of the Savings and Loan Association).

It doesn’t stop there. Obama releases an ad today describing McCain as ‘erratic in a crisis’, and the McCain camp has its own ad ready to go this week called “Dangerous”, implying that an Obama vote is too risky for America. These politicians are pulling out all the stops in the final stretch to get those independent votes and Candy Crowley will be following this today.

Meanwhile, McCain and Obama are prepping for their Next Big Debate which is tomorrow night, the second time we will see them face off.

Sarah Palin is expected to hit the important battleground state of Florida, but Joe Biden lost his mother in law this weekend, so he has cancelled all public appearances until Wednesday.

We may kick off a new series tonight along the lines of ‘Who is to Blame’. Anderson is keen to start plugging more heavily into the Accountability issue within all the Wall Street mess/bailout we’ve been covering heavily. We have certainly offered snippets along these lines within our coverage in the past couple of weeks, but we will dig more heavily into this starting tonight.

Meanwhile, Gary Tuchman traveled to Alaska last week and one of the stories he focused on is why Sarah Palin is so popular in her state. She has gotten a rough ride recently, mostly on the heels of interviews which many felt fell short, but she does enjoy some of the highest approval ratings compared to other Governors and Gary will tell us why.

See you at 10pET.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Camina T. in Arroyo Grande CA

Palin heard you were interested in what she was reading but nobody asked her who she reads in American Fiction? She has left her Mayor days far behind while ,as reported by the LA Times, Villaraigosa and other Mayors met in Watts Sept. 25 2008 (remember the riots?) to call on Presidental candidates to make poverty a central issue in the economic debate. The us Conference of Mayors recomendations: update poverty level measurement, cabinet position
    poverty czar,increased earned income tax credit, universal preschool.

October 6, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  2. tom cassidy-florida

So its wrong to live in a neighborhood with a 1960's anti-war radical, who is now a college professor. But it is OK to have a husband who "belonged" to a separtist party, until you became mayor. Did you ever hear of "sleeping with the enemy".

October 6, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  3. Rose for Calif

Well, I guess if there's mud to throw the McCain campaign people know how to do it well. When Nancy Pfotenhauer McCain's campaign spokewoman says to Fox News that Obama is hanging around with "DANGEROUS LIAISONS"? Because McCain's issues are not the peoples issues it seems...personal attacks is the olny way to go if you are trying to avoid the real issues.
    And Sarah Palin she have the nerve to talk! Saying that Obama has ties with 60's radical William Ayers. Palin is being investigated for ABUSING HER POWER AS GOVENOR ect! Need I say more?

October 6, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  4. Heather

Im glad you are going to talk about who is to blame for this financial mess. I watched 60 mins last night and learned the actual truth that they dont want us to know. I hope you mention the fact that this mess is the end result of criminal financial transactions based on corrupt math a scam of fraud. Please keep them honest and educate us about the truth. We all need to know the ugly truth of what wall street doesnt want us to know.

October 6, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  5. T. Houck

I received an email about Obama's internet contributions that says Obama received 200 million dollars from Moslin countries. If this is true, why is the new media not reporting this?

October 6, 2008 at 12:42 pm |
  6. Gloria

Sarah Palin is not who she is pretending to be! She is not "Josephine 6-Pack". She is a very ambitious political animal who will do whatever it takes to get ahead. Her disparaging remarks about Barack Obama will surely backfire! It is so scary to even think of the possibility of her being a heartbeat away from the presidency if McCain wins.

October 6, 2008 at 12:37 pm |
  7. Austin.

Palin's popularity is all she has to run on. She is Clueless on what it takes to govern this Country and clearly has no Substance, Vision or Plan or Experience unless she is scripted. Heaven help us all if she ever comes close to the Whitehouse, in any form or fashion.

October 6, 2008 at 12:30 pm |
  8. Judy

Didn't Palin say 'There you go Joe, talking about the past' during the debate last Thursday? NOW, she brings up William Ayers, a radical from the 60's. Hey, Sarah, you can't have it both ways!

I want to hear about how the candidates plan to save the economy,
    not cheap shots that sound so juvenile. As I write this, the market
    is down over 400 points (after the so called 700 billion dollar bail-out) .

October 6, 2008 at 12:27 pm |
  9. Steve

My question is why this news media program doesn't cover Obama's ties to questionalbe radicals and terroists?

You seem so content to be pro Obama you've covered up a news story that will bring his character into play. We as the american people need to know if the facts are true. Until I see something from your commentators about this I cant give my approval to Obama.

Sean Hannity's America on Sunday night was a real eye opener for me. At least there is one News station that covers both sides of the story. Now I'll wait until you catch up to speed.

October 6, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  10. Evelyn, Saskatoon, CANADA

Na – na – na – na – na – sounds like the school playground when I was in grade 3. Sarah has started the "Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones But Words Will Never Hurt Me" ball a'rollin... being the true maverick that she is.......... dis....gust....ing........ .mud...... slinging....and......des--per-–ate!!!

October 6, 2008 at 12:15 pm |
  11. Jerry Thomas

All the back biting on who done what years ago does not help what is going on now in America and the world.

McCain and Obama need to focus on the nations problems. The news media needs to help in seeing that this happens also instead of helping to highlite their pass history.

Less than a month away from the national election and all we are hearing is who did what or who was associated with who five or ten years ago.

Where are the politics for 2008?

October 6, 2008 at 11:41 am |
  12. Carol, CA

If I have to listen to any more of Sarah's folksy-cutesy comments, I'm going to vomit. It cracks me up that she is so stupid that she actually believes that if McCain wins, she is going to have a role in the administration. She reminds me of Kathryn Harris ( katherine, who?). The Secty of State in Florida who sealed the vote too quickly to help Bush "win" the presidency. She thought she was going to be rewarded for her efforts with , at least, a position in the White House. What ever happened to her????? She had her 15 minutes of fame surrounding her lipstick (and eyeshadow!!!) too. 🙂 They tossed her aside fast enough.

McCain and his cronies are anti-women – no equal pay, no subsidized health care for kids, no early childhood daycare programs.......... If they manage to win, Sarah will be sent back to her igloo so fast her lipstick will shoot right off her face. She is a dummy in more ways than one. At this point, she is a ventriloquist's dummy and she doesn't even know it.

October 6, 2008 at 11:26 am |
  13. Matt

There's still another month of this? Talk about "Disaster Fatigue."

October 6, 2008 at 11:21 am |
  14. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think Americans need to know who's to blame for the crisis. Facts, not politicial weaving. I've had all the spinning I can stomach. Concrete facts, that's what we have to hear once and for all.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

October 6, 2008 at 10:52 am |
  15. Steve

I am so tired of hearing how Palin cut taxes in her State, thats great but my State does not have oil. Like many other States we are fighting just to hold on to jobs, if She has so much income up there, maybe they need to share it with the other states. I think somebody that is running for VP should look and act like the job, not like a mother at a pta meeting. How do the people in the world view her winking?

October 6, 2008 at 10:03 am |
  16. pat napolitano

Mc Cain has decided instead of explaining his policies that he will go on the attack and try to destroy Obama, the usual Republican tactic. He would be wise to be careful as this can fall back on him as he does not have a stellar record nor does his companion Palin. She is now under investigation for abuse of power. What nerve? People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Mc Cain has his own history with banks and investments which shows his lack of judgement. He is showing how desperate he is and everyone can see that.....he is fooling no one.

October 6, 2008 at 9:59 am |
  17. Maureen / Newman, California

The Old Man and the Fanatic Prom Queen have been trying to distract all along. They will not benefit from playing the guilty by association game. Obama/Biden will point out all of the scums they have been assiciated with, so it will be a wash. And while Obama continues to speak out about his plans for hope and change, the Old Man and the Fanatic Prom Queen will have nothing to say since their plans mimic the Bush Administration. This is why they play these games. Can't wait to vote for Obama when I get my ballot in the mail.

October 6, 2008 at 9:53 am |
  18. TS

Do you guys realize there is all kinds of news going on in the world? Things happen outside of the boundaries of the US and they matter even. Since Anderson claims that 360 covers more international news than, I believe he said, "anyone else", I challenge him to prove it tonite on the show. Instead of wall-to-wall politics, cover as much or more international news (and I'll leave BBC out of it for him, since covering as much international news than them would cause him to burst that huge stress vein on his forehead) than "anyone else" on cable TV between 10 and 10:56 with 27 minute removed for commercials. Sounds fair to me......GO!

October 6, 2008 at 9:45 am |
  19. J from DC

I heard Madeleine Albright made a public statement about Palin, because Palin was talking bad about her.

Does anyone at CNN know what the official story is on that? Is it true?

October 6, 2008 at 9:42 am |
  20. Art Hoskins

As I sit here watching Sarah Palin's campaign in Clear Water, FL, I notice she's speaking a lot but not covering any issue that concern me or many Americans. The first 10 mins of her speach did not covered any real issues. Now she talking about Obama has voted to raise taxes 94 times but fails to mention that he voted on a budget plan that had nothing to do with raising taxes. She giving her plan on the economy but with no explaination, which they intend to do. I want to know how the Mccain/Palin ticket plans to cut taxes. As Obama has explain in his campaign. Now she's saying Obama's top advisors said Obama and Mier were best freinds when I just watch on cnn, Obama's top advisors said they had "no" type of relationship. We are now 25 mins. into her speach and she is yet to dicribe her plan for America's budget crisist. Thank God it's over now. She left me more confused then yesterday. Once again the Mccain/Palin campaign failed to talk about the important issue going on in America. She just spoke about tax cuts tax cuts tax cuts. But my question is yet to be answered, how do they plan on doing so? Obama has explained in detail how he plans on doing so. For example, taking out the old paper use files in hospitals and replacing them with computerized files will not only save millions in dollars but help save trees. Please help me, I'm confused about the Mccain/Palin ticket, they haven't explained to me how they are going to fix our enconomy.

Art Hoskins

October 6, 2008 at 9:42 am |
  21. Dr. Proctor, PHD

The lie about Ayers is no match for Sara Palin's pastor's sermon about
    Alaska being a refuge in the last days, and witch hunting. Her husband was a member of an Alaskan group trying to succeed from America. This woman is far more scarier than Ayers. She refuses to let America know anything about her. And besides, when I go to fill my
    gas tank up at $4.00 a gallon, Ayers is not standing at the pump,
    but the Republican ghost is. They are the one's we should fear.
    Palin is anti-woman, bans books, no foreign policy credentials, and
    a threat to our national security. Sara "Harry Potter" Palin is what can REALLY hurt Americans and for this we should be fearful. Palin should
    be sued for slander.

October 6, 2008 at 9:27 am |
  22. Uncle Mike

I get the subliminal message (dog whistle) that Gov. Palin is sending wearing All White. As an African American I resent this, only the KKK wears All White after Labor Day

October 6, 2008 at 9:27 am |
  23. Kim

I find it interesting that this article describes the Keating 5 scandal, yet glosses over the indiscretions of William Ayers.

October 6, 2008 at 9:26 am |
  24. Brenda Harris

Sarah Palin should not be able to make accusations about obama or anyone else for that matter when she will not willing be interviewed about her positions on issues. The republican party continues to protect her with scripted dialogue in order to avoid real questions. What kind of leader will not make themselves available to public scruinty.
    Why is she not available to answer questions like why she built the road to nowhere for over 24 million that money could have gone to those poor people on the island facing Russia. And why didn't she give back the money for the bridge to nowhere.
    and what about this troopergate issue. And what was she doing when her daughter was getting pregnant. And why does she think she should flaunt the fact that her daughter is pregnant in the faces of America. If she thinks this is a message that should be pushed into the faces of teenagers today. Finally why would she think America is not smart enough to know that after those few lousy interviews that she did give that America would not know she is not ready to be in a heartbeat position. Palin get a clue ,you may be a hockey-mom but, in baseball three strikes and you're out.

October 6, 2008 at 9:19 am |
  25. Cindy

Well, I knew that this election would start getting uglier soon. I think that it will be a down right mess between the two camps by the time this is all over.

I am actually glad that McCain is pulling out everything on Obama. The truth needs to be gotten out there. There is a lot more bad on Obama than there is on McCain and the American citizens need to know the whole truth about him, not just what the media wants to be known. These scandals and what not that Obama tries to hide have never truly been looked into by any of the media. That is a shame! Hillary was right when she said if the media won't do it then someone has too!

I think that Anderson's idea of the series on who is accountable for this whole Wall Street mess is great. I hope that you all can give names and all. We need to know these people and the crap that they pulled that got us into this mess. But if you do this then please be fair. I've seen what you sometimes call Keepin 'Em honest yet you only keep one party honest and not the other. So please be straight down the middle and show no favoritism.

Cindy...Ga.

October 6, 2008 at 9:07 am |
  26. Randy

I am so tired of John and Sarah talking about things that are far less important than our economy and the war.....sorry OCCUPATION. The mud slinging is so old and tiring but I can understand why the republican ticket goes there. They are fighting for their lives in this popularity contest. The actual truth of the matter is they can't stand toe to toe with Obama- Biden on the issues which are important. If it's a character debate they want lets not talk about the five guys McCain was invovled with or his adultery relationship he had or Sarahs problems of strong arming the commissioner in her state with the help of her bully husband "the first dude".....how pathetic! If you want to take a left and turn on to the road that leads to the bridge to nowhere......be my guest.

October 6, 2008 at 9:05 am |