October 3rd, 2008

Sarah Palin's Dallas fundraiser

Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin before boarding her campaign plane in Dallas.

Kate Zernike
The New York Times

Palin called the debate "fun," but expressed some frustration with only being able to give 90 second answers, kept up her blaming of "the mainstream media," called Obama and Biden too liberal and "out of the mainstream." And talked, again, of shakin' up Washington DC. She also told her own story about the events here in Texas leading up to the birth of Trig five months ago.

Guests had paid $1,000 a plate, or up to $57,000 for bundlers, to attend the fundraiser. About 1,000 people - many tables seemed to be predominantly women - ate chicken salads and pecan pie and sipped at iced tea in a hotel ballroom at the Fairmont Hotel in Dallas. While Palin snapped pictures with donors backstage, her parents, Sally and Chuck Heath, and her three youngest children mingled with guests in the hallway outside the ballroom. Sally cuddled baby Trig as donors looked on cooing.

Dan Grant, who represents the area in the TX legislature, opened the remarks introducing himself as the husband of a hockey mom and mother of five. He welcomed Gov. Rick Perry, James Huff Hines, the co-chair of the McCain Palin campaign in TX, and Tom Hicks, the co-chairman of the campaign in Texas and the owner of the Dallas Stars and Texas Rangers and the Liverpool Football Club, as well as Fmr. Secretary of Commerce Robert Mosbacher, a general chairman of the campaign. Mr. Grant said the governor would have a "surprise," but first welcomed Palin and Todd and Piper and Willow, carrying a sleeping Trig, on stage.

Perry introduced Palin to enthusiastic applause, "Sarah, I think they love ya in Texas."

He then introduced Hicks who introduced the surprise: "on behalf of the 10,000 registered hockey moms and more than a milion hockey fans," he handed her a Dallas Jersey with the Number 2 and her name on the back, saying he wanted her to watch the Dallas Stars win the Stanley Cup from the VP residence next June.

Perry then introduced Palin. "I bet there were a lot of Democrats who woke up yesterday morning kinda looking forward to the debate, thinking that they were going to watch our candidate get steamrolled by their guy. I bet a lot of 'em woke up this morning a little bit scared, scared, yep, because they realize they got a fight on their hands."

"The liberal left and their friends in the media forgot one thing when they waged their war of deceit and gotcha journalism. They forgot that they're dealing with a strong American woman who's not going to back down, period. We’re dealing with a woman whos principled, experienced, laser-focused on the things that make a difference in this world."

Palin was welcomed with a standing ovation.

"It is good to be visiting here in Alaska's little sister state, Texas." She described fond memories of attending high school basketball camp here.

Most recently, of course, she was here 5 months ago, giving a speech on energy, when she was 8 months pregnant.

"Governor Perry had introduced me, and during the speech I was quite pregnant. I told Governor Perry, can you make this quick because I'm quite pregnant. He teased me as I left the podium, 'What are you going to do, go off and have your baby? And about 18 hours later, yes, I had my baby."

"Let's hope because I think good things happen in Texas that we can produce something good for that our country and that is change in Washington, DC, and I know that's why you're here."

She described the debate as "fun."

"Last night that debate, it was fun and I was really proud to get to make the case for the election of John McCain."

She repeated her charge that Obama and Biden are the first and third most liberal members of the Senate, and called their views "so far out of the mainstream of America."
"You never hear them utter the word victory."

She introduced Todd, who had gone backstage again, "My right hand man, Alaska’s first dude, Todd Palin." She asked that he come back on stage, but apparently he did not hear. "He’s either breaking up a little squabble between the girls or he’s changing Trig's diaper, he’s doing something that's very very helpful. It is helpful, too," she added, as the audience laughed.

She noted that her parents had gone to St. Louis and were traveling with her, and said they had been startled by what they had read about their daughter since she was named VP nominee. "They're saying, 'That's not our daughter, she didn’t do that, she doesn’t stand for that."

"It's kind of a rude awakening to what happens in mainstream media."

"I want to get to Washington, DC, with John McCain, never forgetting the people who hire us, we will be working for you every day in the White House. It's not just in Alaska, it's all over the country, this hunger for reform and new energy and new ideas and new vision and living out that world view that John McCain and I have, that says that America is a nation of exceptionalism, and we are, and can be even further, that beacon of hope across the world for people who are seeking democratic values and freedom."

Palin said that her mission would be energy independence. "I tried to explain this in 90 seconds last night, these foreign sources of energy, we’re importing them, we’re circulating $700 billion a year into foreign countries."

She said Todd asked her this morning, "Did ya see Obama, he’s already out there this morning talking about energy independence?"

"I'm like, man, where have they been all these years? The month before the electoin and all of a sudden they're finally going to get it?"

"Achieving energy security, it's going to require clean coal, whether Joe Biden approves of it or not."

Speaking about another portfolio item she wants, supporting children with special needs, she quoted former Democratic governor of PA, Robert Casey, when asked how society should treat the most vulnerable among us. "It's simple, you put them first in line."

"Governor Casey reminded us that these beautiful children can inspire a special love and it’s a love that our world needs more of. These children are not a problem, they are a priority and a promise." This line got huge applause.

About the next month: "It's going to be tough on John McCain and on me and on our families. There are a lot of folks who do not want to see us progress there to the White House. This is going to be a tough campaign."

"You're going to hear our opponents go on and on about how they're going to quote, fight for you. But there is only one man in this race who has ever really fought for you."
"He knows what side to be on, he knows what it takes to win a war, and how to overcome challenges, not just with national security but with our economy as well."

Palin's motorcade then proceeded to the offices of BP Capital, the firm of Texas oil billionaire T. Boone Pickens, where they posed for photographs and then dismissed reporters.
"We're going to work," Pickens said.

"Do you have a white board?" Palin said. "We're going to work."

Filed under: Raw Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. patty

Can we just send this woman home , she brings nothing to the table .
    She is a risk and so out of touch with the world, She needs a stage to run not our country!

October 5, 2008 at 7:43 am |
  2. Anne Malin

Dear Anderson,
    Would someone PLEASE, PLEASE teach Sarah Palin how to pronounce Iraq and Iran!! I cringe each time I hear her say Eyeraq and Eyeran. I consider it an insult to mispronounce names and places. Excuses can be made for rarely heard of places but Iraq and Iran? For God's sake tell her to watch BBC World for correct pronunciations.

Having lived in the Arab world for 30 years (and a news presenter on Oman TV for almost 20 years) I think Obama would receive a warm reception here. Maybe he can repair the bad taste Americans have left in this part of the world. Obama is the man for me!
    Love watching Erica and your goodself!

Kindest Regards,

Anne Malin

October 5, 2008 at 4:23 am |
  3. in disbelief

This woman is such a joke. Now she is trying to get us to believe that she reads The NYT by quoting a story about Obama being pals with Ayres. Well if she really does read (if not off a prepared speech or teleprompter), perhaps she should of read the complete article that says that the contact between Obama and Ayres was minimal.

October 5, 2008 at 4:12 am |
  4. John

Well its clear why Mc Cain chose her, He needed a woman he could use. He needed a woman that was willing to say anything to draw votes. On her first day she as much as said that all the women that supported Hillary should vote for her just because she's a woman.
    Than she used her special needs child as a reason for people to vote for McCain, Now She and McCain want people to think that just because she remembered her homework after three or four days of debate camp, that she won the debate. And Now the McCain Campaign is using her to attack Obama thinking that if the Obama Campaign attacks back than the Women voters will think their picking on her because she's a woman, When in reality she's a candidate
    that dosn't have what it takes and is totally being USED BECAUSE SHE"S A WOMAN.

October 5, 2008 at 2:30 am |
  5. Tracy

So for those that like to "gag at a gnat, and swallow a camel" (as my mother says) you are acting like the National Enquirer style media – CNN, NPR, AP, Huffington Post. Palin is a "breath of fresh air" that is competing with Oblama's "in the spotlight". I will give CNN a little credit; in a story bashing Palin about the "Bridge to Nowhere" they reluctantly reported that both Biden & Obama voted for the "BTNW" TWICE!!! While McCain voted against it. But up until this election the VP has been pretty much a non-issue, and most have been a non-issue. But Palin seems to garner more attention because everyone thinks McCain will die soon. I am sorry I don’t take that stand, because I believe that elderly people can and do contribute. In fact, I am of the belief that they carry wisdom and experience. But to look at the top of the ticket, Obama’s history troubles me. Where he “brushed off” his relationship with Bill Aires as barely knowing him, when we find out he worked with him close for a few years. Rev Wright; a few days before he finally disowned him (or had to disown for political survival) he said he couldn’t disown him, like he wouldn’t disown his “white grandmother”, that’s how close he was with him. Do you really believe he never heard a Rev Wright bashing sermon? Equally troubling is his work as community organizer with ACORN that is in trouble for voter fraud. Along with the slumlord he has been associated with in Chicago, and let’s not forget his ties with Louis Farrakhan. Just too many questionable relationships with people that are too troubling to be the next president. As for Sarah Palin, and not knowing about her. Would you submit yourself to answer questions from someone who’s only intent is to “get the scoop” at any cost to make you look bad. I wouldn’t, and I don’t blame her for avoiding the evil biased media. I think we have plenty of time to hear from Palin and don’t think she’ll let people down who genuinely view her with an open mind, but those that have already judged her, nothing will make them happy. Give her a chance.

October 5, 2008 at 2:01 am |
  6. deb in az

how much was it per plate in calif for obama? now ca might go bankrupt...... i think the kind thing for the obama campaign would be to send that money straight back to ca and help that state out, since he cares so much for the people.....by the way palin reads that rag of a paper called the ny times and the wall street journel and local papers in alaska......you need to get your info from other sources not just cnn...just how stupid can that be?

October 5, 2008 at 1:55 am |
  7. altha cutright

please send this sarar palin back to the deep woods where she came from she is a disgrace to every woman in this world.

October 5, 2008 at 1:08 am |
  8. Thomas

Palin was unhappy with having only 90 seconds to answer the debate questions? It sure looked like that was about 60 seconds too long for most of her answers. Of course she took up the rest of the time winking and mavericking around–unless she was opting not to aswer the moderator's question and answering a question that wasn't asked. She should be called Bailin' Palin for the way she bailed out of the tough questions. I guess some people are happy with childish attempts to flirt with the camera and give sound bites with virtually no meaning. Almost all her answers had at least one of these silly :buzz words". Maverick, We're gonna change Washington, My executive experience, Joe six-pack, or Outsider. Sad, pathetic performance.

October 5, 2008 at 12:30 am |
  9. MaryAnn

I hear people stating they like what McCain stands for...God, Family Values.
    I am a Democrat and I strongly believe in our Father God. I am pro/letting an individual decide what is best for their person.
    God gave us free will to be Christian.
    The individual will make that determination, and that will be between that individual and God.
    Lastly, EDUCATION, is another thing we need to tackle as a nation. We need our kids to be the best they can be, otherwise we will not succeed as a nation. We have been dumbing down for a long time. We must strive for the stars, raise the bar. Please, this is something we must do as a nation.

October 5, 2008 at 12:12 am |
  10. MaryAnn

I must also raise the issue of Palin's spouse Todd. He is always everywhere she goes, I find that disturbing. She is never on her own without his shadow.
    She is a big girl, right? Can she function without him being near?

October 4, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  11. MaryAnn

There is nothing wrong with Palin going to her fundraiser.
    It is clear to me that she is more popular with the republican base than the top of the ticket McCain. The base is not interested in McCain at all. Oh what the base and Palin might be brewing, is inconceivable to think about.
    There is something wrong with us as Americans if we give her the chance to be VP. She is clearly an airhead like Bush. She can not speak intelligently on her feet unless it is scripted.
    Let's not go the Folksy path that we did with George W.(for 8 years), look where that led us as a country.
    McCain is an old bitter man who wants to be President of the U.S. before he dies at any cost.
    McCain would be erratic and all over the place with his decision making if he were our leader. With Palin being the Cheney in McCain's administration, that thought is terrifying. What we as Americans are going through today, we do not need more negativity added to our troubles that we will incurr with McCain-Palin.

October 4, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  12. Gos

Nor a Republican or a democrat, I would just want to state one thing. I have been watching all this in CNN and I find Sarah Palin to be a lady whose talks are full of sarcasm. Her lack of knowledge can be probably downplayed by this. She sounds making a mockery of folks who has 100 times more credibility than her. Atleast Barack Obama was studying in Harvard, when she was putting lipstick and preparing for a beauty peagent. Atleast Barack Obama was presiding the Harveard Law league when she was playing hockey. Joe Biden Vs Her : I am not sure why this kind of things happen and it is successful. This can never happen in sports and competitive exams atleast .....where a person with no experience and knowledge can make a mockery of folks who has more than them......
    God ...!!!!

October 4, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  13. Spenser havlick

Two points....I was one of more than 80,000 people at the DNC in Denver who walked in FREE to hear Obama and many other thoughtful speakers tell exactly what they they will and will not do for America in January.#2 Someone please tell me why Ms. Palin has been gagged by her handlers from the very day of her VP selection ,except for scripts and cheat cards?

October 4, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  14. inutah

I am so sick and tired of the McCain negative ads, that I am not going to vote for the McCain/Plain ticket....I work everyday with adolescents and McCain and Palin remind me of the bullying issues I have everyday....they would be called on their manipulation and lies and sent to detention......and to whoever said everyday folks can afford to pay $1000,00 for a fundraising meal doesn't really understand middle America.

October 4, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Gregg

I just love the way Palin is now trying to backtrack and actually name some of the magazines and newspapers she reads that determine her world view. Sorry Sarah it was a simple question and you do not get a "do over" after being coached. I personally rarely read magazines and newspapers and get my news online at CNN.com, on the television at CNN, and also listen to NPR at work. I consider myself to be fairly well informed. Oh yes I do get the Sunday edition of the L.A. Times. I read mainly novels and biographies when I do read. Why such a question would be considered a "gotcha" question by the liberal mainstream media is beyond me. If she has a desire to be in the major leagues, well she better get ready for questions that are much tougher than that particular wiffle ball question.

October 4, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  16. Frieda

I just got back for Carson rally and there were more than 13,000 people and Gov. Palin was just awesome. she is a great speaker and knows how to inspire people and excite people. that place was like ball of fire. I have never seen anything like that in California.

October 4, 2008 at 9:51 pm |
  17. diane leib

Palin reminds me sooooo much of Bush, substituting stubborn pugnacity for intelligence. But, then again, y'all down here in TX were big for Bush too.

October 4, 2008 at 9:35 pm |
  18. Francis

That is when you know who is with middle class. The Republican ticket is out of touch with Middle class. No more Wall Street meltdown, No McCain. I don't care if they ask for $1000.00 for their Salad events, McCain is just desperate and he will do anything to get white house but not this time. No more Bush and no McCain.

October 4, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  19. SportsRook

Anderson, first I think you are one of the smartest and most respected journalist who works hard to be fair.

With that said I cannot express to you how very much I am so frustrated with the medias refusal for the DEMAN of interview access to Sarah Palin. What is the GOP afraid of; if she can't handle the US Media, how can be trust that she would be able to handle an international crisis or worse an economic crisis such as were currently facing?

As she proved at the debate she can memorize sound bites and low punches. She has that beauty pagent smile and wink down; but what would she do as our VP or God forbid President in a time of crisis? Would she wink her way of out of a crisis with Russia, Iran, North Korea.

I implore you and your associates, please continue to push and demand interviews with Palin. I would love to see you or Christiane Amapour interview Palin.

I know I speak for millions of American, I am out right terrified of the prospect of a McCain-Palin Presidency.

October 4, 2008 at 8:56 pm |
  20. Deirdre

I’m not sure why people insult Obama’s fundraisers so. You forget that funds from his primary campaign and much from this campaign came mainly from much smaller donations ($5, $10 on up) across the nation from many people like you and me.

And why do people criticize when celebrities contribute funds? They are American citizens too. Be glad they aren’t keeping it all to themselves.

October 4, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  21. Deirdre

I'm not sure why people are be so insulting of Obama's fundraiser. You forget that funds from his primary campaign and much from this campaignn came mainly from much smaller donations ($5, $10 on up) across the nation from people like you and I.

And why do people criticize when celebrities contribute funds? There are American citizens too. Be glad they aren't keeping it all to themselves.

October 4, 2008 at 6:49 pm |
  22. kathy

“It is good to be visiting here in Alaska’s little sister state, Texas."
    I would love to see that quote in a widespread Texas ad campaign for Obama. That would really hurt McCain/Palin in Texas. Maybe we could blitz the parking lots of country-western bars with fliers. TV probably wouldn't work, since the voters it would be aimed at mainly watch Fox.

October 4, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  23. Jay, England

Palin is George Bush in a skirt.

October 4, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  24. Nandy from PA

I, for one, am sick and tired of Sarah Palin parading that infant around on the stage all hours of the night! What is she trying to prove? Does she think that makes her a better mother? She can certainly afford to pay a "nanny" to look after the child......his grandparents were there. Why didn't they take those kids back to the hotel room.....it was after 11 p.m. The child is already handicapped......is she trying to make him deaf as well?...all that noise and lights would only scare a baby to death.....but, she continues to drag him across the stage with the other kids as if they were trophys. Let them be kids already. It is too late for your daughter.....you weren't there or she would not be knocked up. We don't want to see your kids day after day, night after night, parading across the stage, this is not a "beauty contest." You may be trying to put up a smoke screen, but it isn't working. Now, tell us what you really know.....or at least what is in that pea brain of yours!

October 4, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  25. Barbara Adams

Palin made it affordable @ $1,000 a plate??? I live in Mich & I know affordable. Gov Palin.that's NOT affordable.

She goes to her "aw shucks" routine whenver her brain is spinning to find a rolodex card of info planted in her brain by McCain.

October 4, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  26. E. Vaughn

To Lynda who says $1,000 is too much to pay for a fundraiser luncheon in these hard economic times, I have to say, agreed. However, she didn't mention her nominee, Obama having a $10,000 concert this weekend. So please, if you are going to criticize, let's be fair to both sides. After all, it is Obama and Biden who keep saying that McCain is out of touch with middle income America. I don't know any middle income people able to pay $10,000 for a concert, do you?

October 4, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  27. Sue

p.s. and any candidate that WINKS at the camera like she is FLIRTING with men to get their votes, us woman should ALL not vote for, for we want a Hillary of substance and not a know-nothing who winks at cameras at a DEBATE to think Americans are so transparent as her to just sigh and say oh I am in love with this woman and will vote for her... so is she the folksy religious person or the flirty cut throat pitt bull with lots of lipstick?

October 4, 2008 at 1:24 pm |
  28. ken

Do we want a president who doesn't know that Russia has a veto in the UN? Do we want a president who has had socialist and marxist associates for mentors? Do we want a president who's economic advisors are associated with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? Do we want a president who thinks that to have a baby is punishment? Do we want a president who wants to "talk" to terrorists. Do we want a president who picked a vp that is politically at odds with him? Do we want a president who picked a vp that was one of the most unelectable candidates in the democratic primaries? Do we want a president who has no executive experience? Do we want a president who has spent most of his senate career running for president? Do we want a president that accused our military of raiding villages? That would be such an injustice to our children and grandchildren.

October 4, 2008 at 1:06 pm |
  29. Maggie B

Yeah. Yeah. Typical Republican response, blame the media for your blunders and ineptness.

Palin's platitudes and gestures only go so far. What it really demonstrates is her shortcomings and inability to understand the issues. Is this what America wants as a VP? Oh, but yes, America did vote twice for Bush.

October 4, 2008 at 12:46 pm |
  30. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

That redneck image is just what a lot of us Texans are fighting AGAINST!
    This Texan does NOT and NEVER will support McCain/Palin.
    NEVER!

October 4, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  31. Larry L.

Sarah is a REAL person,with a real family–not a Washington bureaucrat.Obama/Biden are NOT REAL people, they are bureaucrats.If we the people want change,then why would you vote for more of the same,it doesn't make since.LOWER TAXES is what intelligent people know,is what is required right now.

Obama/Biden work the people
    McCain/Palin work for the people

October 4, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  32. Mark L.

Another thought. To say, "A team of mavericks" makes about as much sense as to say "A pack of lone wolves."

There really doesn't seem to be a Republican party anymore. All the intelligent life-long republican voters I know are not going to vote for the McCain/Palin ticket, even though they will still think of themselves as Republican. The only votes they will acquire will be from the truly brainwashed, and the evangelicals, if that's not the same thing. How did she get into ANY office?

October 4, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  33. meche

Some people in Texas are not very happy with Texas been called Alaska little sister. Actually, it appears that the Dallas newspaper removed the quote , but you now how the internet is. How about with Texas, Alaska big brother , instead.... oh Sarah, you are funny.

October 4, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  34. Murray

Rick Perry is the man...Texas is fortunate to have a leader like him, who understands that cutting taxes is the way to make an economy grow. Perry Again in '10.

October 4, 2008 at 9:27 am |
  35. Carmen

Who in their right mind would pay $1000 a plate to see this clown? What a waste of money. Most Americans have never heard of this woman up until 2 months ago so why the expensive dinner? Palin is a clown and unprofessional in my book.

When is she going to court or is she above the law now?

October 4, 2008 at 2:22 am |
  36. Bobbie - Alaska

Sarah Palin was voted in as Governor of Alaska to clean up the dirty political games in the State.
    As of this moment, she is under investigation and has proven she is just like any other politician – slimey, corrupt, egotistical and believing rules do not apply to her.
    She started out doing what we needed and wanted done ( replacing the old politicians). With an average population of 600,000 and one unpopulated border with Canada, it's not brain surgery to run our State. The fact she is running for VP astounded us. She is NOT qualified.
    Her approval ratings is currently NOT 80%. The media needs to get some new polling numbers.

In the article, Perry said, “Sarah, I think they love ya in Texas.”

Well, Sarah, You can stay there.

October 4, 2008 at 12:46 am |
  37. Roy

Arw women voting for palin just because she's a woman? from what i see some of them say on the new and in person it looks that way to me (but i am a man so)

October 3, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  38. Roy

Can anyone tell me how is leaving a war that we don't need to be in anymore "raising the white flag"?

October 3, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  39. Lynda

@ Lampe I live in KC MO and attended a fundrasier for Obama and only paid $30 to get in too bad you were not there. You might have learned somethign about how wonderful the man is.

As to the topic at hand. Who in the world with economic times as hard as they are would pay $1,000 for chicken salad with a woman who won't tell you what newspaper she reads. HOW STUPID!!!!!!!!!!

October 3, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  40. penny

"Sarah Palin is only after $$$$(money). She cares nothing about the American people. She is the BRIDGE going NOWHERE and John Mccain is the TITANIC. As she says 'THAT TICKET "

October 3, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  41. raymond

I have been a life long democrat and will most likely vote party line on state and federal offices except for the president I just may vote for the Republican ticket, reason being I like what Senator John McCain & Sarah Palin stand for which is primarily God , Pro family and Country.

October 3, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Danny Ernest

Mr. Cooper, I got a big kick out of you asking about Rev. Wright to the Liberal base Vic. Pres. night. Woosh! Silent night? Fastest Skip of 'that' subject ever on the history of TV.

If John is not able to bring it up & up &up!!! I can!

I hope that showed you my past comment is so true. It will become the biggest hidden secrete of a Wright attitude for any Presidential runner in our history. If TV power player's keep passing over the key truth issue stuff ...shhhish on those liberal folk on your show.

October 3, 2008 at 9:43 pm |
  43. Ann--THINKING WOMAN IN OREGON

Well, Sarah had a good day yesterday. Yes she did indeed. She was still vertical when the so called debate was over. She was so clever, so Doggone CUTE, and, geez, did you catch all those winky blinkies that were inserted like giant exclamation points to soften all the hard-line, hard driving criticisms she drilled Biden with? Funny thing is, it would appear that she was the only one who thought she was being a real hard a-x-x. She just looked pathetically stupid. And every criticism she threw at Biden about looking to the past was more than totally eclipsed by her winky blinky Reaganesque references and folksy nonsense. Doggone it, it was annoying. We can only hope that the next 4 weeks will fly by and that Sarah will continue to be kept in her Pumpkin Shell. I, for one, have had just about enough of Sarah Palin. You Betcha!

October 3, 2008 at 9:38 pm |
  44. lampe

At least Gov. Palin, makes it affordable for everyday people to attend. Unlike Obama, whose fund raisers, are only for the very rich. So much for the man of the everyday people.

October 3, 2008 at 8:53 pm |
  45. Cindy

@ Thomas...You might want to look into Obama's campaign funds from ACORN....very corrupt, several have been convicted of voters fraud and they are once again being investigated for that. in many states, Rezko...who gave to his campaign and was found guilty of corruption...if you didn't know he has very close ties to the Arabs, also got money from two Palestinian brothers in Gaza which is illegal...he kept the money until someone in the media brought it up and he scrambled to give it back...$33,000 to be exact, he's gotten half a milllion dollars from unidentified people from overseas which is illegal, there are many more that I can name. So you need to look in your own back yard so to speak before looking at McCain and Palin because Obama is not clean!

Cindy...Ga.

October 3, 2008 at 8:48 pm |
  46. CK

Isn't it odd that Sarah Palin asked 'can I call you Joe?' at the start of the debate? The only time she used 'Joe' was in the cheesy 'say it ain't so' line. Pathetic!

October 3, 2008 at 8:46 pm |
  47. ssmith

I believe Obama had a Hollywood fundraiser that charged a bit more than $1000 per plate. In fact I think it was a lot more. In fact the media wasn't allowed around.

Looks like Obama isn't a man of the people like he claims!

October 3, 2008 at 8:07 pm |
  48. Bret Peters

Cute is no excuse for ignorance, nor is living a sheltered life in Alaska causing your diplomatic eidetic to be lower than a child's. This is not a high school race for class president . This is for the real thing, and probably the most important of all American's lives. Please look at our problems, how serious they are, and why we got here. Look at democrats ready to pass the same bill without the pork. Realize that 8/10 of the pork added was too convince the republicans to say yes, instead of what was for America in a time of crisis. Oh American’s, please wake up and see the 800 pound gorilla in front of your face!

October 3, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  49. Stephanie in Houston

The only thing Palin really knows about is making babies; she's no energy expert and she's only a "maverick" if the word is synonymous with "mediocrity" – which, in this context, that is exactly what it means to be a maverick.

She's another "all hat and no cattle" type running for office, another used-car salesperson stewardess - and we already had the folksy president for the past eight years. Surely these dummies aren't all falling for another phony scam-artist to lead us along the path to total destruction, with McCain at the helm?

Goodness knows this country can be led by the nose, but I like to think that intelligence, not platitudes, will prevail in the end – on Nov. 4 we'll see a victory go to the ones who truly deserve to win the White House: Obama-Biden.

Is there really any other good choice?

October 3, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  50. Thomas

You might want to look into the financial contributions too the
    McCain / Palin campaign by Achmed Chalabi !

McCain Owned by Achmed Chalabi
    This time, it's his chief foreign policy guy, Randy Scheunemann,
    who Achmed Chalabi, Iranian agent, corrupt banker, and general con man .

October 3, 2008 at 8:01 pm |