October 3rd, 2008

Morning Buzz: Gaffe-Free? You betchya

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Good morning folks, TGIF.

Last night, we saw Sarah Palin and Joe Biden face off. The candidates covered everything from the economy to energy policy to foreign policy in the only Veep debate of this elex season. Our early CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll numbers of debate watchers show the majority thought that Biden won the debate, but that Palin also exceeded expectations.

51% though Biden did a better job, compared to 36% for Palin, but those surveyed though that Palin was more likable than Biden. Bottom line, both candidates held their own and then some. How do you think they did last night?

In other news, our show tonight will feature the bailout latest. Yesterday evening there were various House converts who jumped aboard this $700 billion bailout as they get ready to vote a second time. Remember they shot this down on Monday, and then the Senate made amendments, voted, and passed it Wednesday night, so now this hot potato is back on the House floor.

House Lawmakers appear to have responded to voters complaining about the road ahead if stability doesn’t enter the financial markets soon, and some $110 billion in additions, such as a tax credit for research and development and an increase in insurance for bank accounts, may have had an impact also in getting more House congress folks on board. But by no means is this a done deal today and anything could happen.

We’ll be following the bailout news closely, as the debate/vote is set to begin at mid-day and our own Jessica Yellin + Ali Velshi will have the latest for us later tonight. There is also some pork tucked into this bailout pkg and Joe Johns will take out his magnifying glass and have a closer look at exactly what is in this latest version of the bill.

As for the candidates, John McCain remains in the increasingly important state of Colorado today where he conducts a town hall at 130pet. Barack Obama begins the day in Michigan and then travels to Pennsylvania for a rally. Ed Henry and Candy Crowley will be watching their moves today, as they react and feed into all of the above.

See you at 10pET.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Evelyn

As a proud Canadian and former citizen of the US of A, in regard to the validity and lucidity of Sarah Palin’s comments, all I can say is “EH??”

October 3, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  2. Sara

I think both candidates did what they needed to do so it was probably a draw. However, I have to admit Biden kind of lost me a few times (i.e., when he was explaining who gets what under McCain's $5000 healthcare credit). And before anyone questions my intelligence, I have two degrees.

October 3, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  3. Hollie

Looking forward to Joe Johns using his magnifying glass to find the pork in the bill. I hope every greedy politician who requested pork off the backs of the taxpayers (knowing we are all over the barrell in this)will lose their jobs as soon as possible.

October 3, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  4. John Joss

Did anyone notice Sarah Palin asking Sen. Biden if she could call him Joe. Then through out the debate she kept calling him Senator. Do you think she was trying to set herself up for the "say it isn't so Joe" remark with the introduction?

October 3, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  5. Deborah Black

I have been trying to call my senators and congressmen. I have tried to email them and fax them. All the curcits are busy and the servers are down. Is this a ploy to keep the people from having their say.

I guess it doesn't matter they don't listen to us anyway. They are falling for the panic caused by President Bush and Secretary Paulson so they can make the biggest power grab in history and enslave the American taxpayer.

I am going to vote for my original choice for President, I don't see any other choice. I will vote for any other candidate running for any other office, whether they be Independent, Green, or from Mars; as long as they are not currently in office.

What is needed is a big enough stimulus package. People will put money in the banks. People will begin to buy houses again or pay their mortgages. People will be able to pay for college or pay off their loans. When credit is not needed it is plentiful and cheep. Which will help thoses businesses who need it.

October 3, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  6. Arnold

I am offended by the sexist language of Gov. Palin. Obama was crucified for his lipstick comment as being sexist. I just wonder what makes her think all middle class, working men are "sixpack Joes". Why would a good church going Gov. Need drinking buddies to vote for her?

October 3, 2008 at 12:55 pm |
  7. Anita

I am so tired of everyone telling you how to think. I watched the debate and I have my own opinion. Don't you think it is time for the American public to speak out. The American public is able to think without all the opinion polls. Governor Palin did an excellent job last night and is a breath of fresh air. We do need change, drastic change.

We are about to feed $800,000,000,000 into a failed system plus we are letting the same old foxes control it. Common sense should tell the government this is not the right thing to do. Common sense that our government hasn't had for a long time.

I for one am tired of having to chose from candidates that do not fill my expectations of a president. I am praying that "Change is a comin!"

Please tell Senator Biden that the "Madrasah" that he spoke about yesterday is Arabic for schools. This makes me wonder just what Mr. Biden actually knows. CNN should have caught this fatal flaw.

October 3, 2008 at 12:53 pm |
  8. k

as all my other comments have never been posted on CNN, I really don't expect this one to be either, but here goes. So Palin was folksy, she spoke like and to middle class americans, So she winked, Biden made big sighs. She make a few mistakes, but so did Biden, DC's big 35 yr professional senator. At least she is not an insider.

October 3, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  9. Gail

Did I hear correctly? Did I hear one CNN reporter say that because Palin answered in complete sentences, etc. she succeeded last night? Tell me we haven't lowered the bar so low that our 2nd most important leader in the country is a success if she can speak in complete sentences.

October 3, 2008 at 9:39 am |
  10. Christos Toronto, Canada

Sarah Palin was poised and looked much better than she had. The problem is, still, she DIDNT answer the questions. She came with a set of scripted answers and she stuck to those, no matter what the question was. It proves the point that this woman is NOT ready for prime time. She is not ready to be anything more than a Mayor, much less a Governer, and she was trying to sell her bridge to no where

October 3, 2008 at 9:38 am |
  11. deborah, OH

Good morning Penny, Anderson, Erica, & all.
    I think David Gergen said it right last night–Sen. Biden gave the best debate of his career! He overwhelmed my expectations of him.
    Palin also did a credible job, & surprised me. But she is lacking in experience, AND she would be sooo much closer to the heartbeat of the Presidency.

I am so disgusted with the Wall Street 'handout', the pork barrelling, & the fact that this may not fix ANYTHING.

The BPTOT did a great job last night, as always. Thank you!

Have a good TGIF day, Anderson, Erica, Penny, & all! And a great weekend too.

October 3, 2008 at 9:35 am |
  12. Kathy Cawthon

I haven't heard anyone comment on Sarah Palin's response to the "Achilles heel" question near the end of the VP debate. It didn't seem to me that she knows what an "Achillles heel" is. Biden answered the question when it was put to him; Palin responded by listing her strengths.

October 3, 2008 at 9:29 am |
  13. pamela

Is it just me or did anyone else notice how repetitive Sarah Palin was and how she evaded many simple yes or no answers? I guess she is a true politician. The only thing that seemed to be on her agenda last night was the energy crisis. She seemed to work it into every question that was asked of her. I'm just as folksy as the next person, but i know when to answer a direct question without beating around the bush! As for the billion dollar bailout, how is a tax credit for research and development going to benefit me? Unless the government is going to research how I am going to get my mortgage and bills paid, I find it irrelevant to most working class Americans!

October 3, 2008 at 9:28 am |
  14. Dolores, Austin Texas

Morning Anderson, there is no question that Senator Biden won the debate last night, to be honest with you, Sara Palins personality reminded me of a cross between a Good ole girl and Mary Poppins, she is clearly not ready to be Vice President, she did not answer most of the questions that were asked of her, everything was about her, I did this and I did that. She also, kept referring to John McCain as a "Maverick", what a joke.
    Does anyone realize that if John McCain were to be elected and something should happen to him while in office, this woman who truly showed last night that she has no clue will be our president, what a scary thought folks.

October 3, 2008 at 9:25 am |
  15. David W, Florida

I just hope that Sara Palin realizes that she can just ignore the questions from voters and not expect to pay a penalty. McCain and Obama did a lot of that in their debate and I hope they can come around but by comparison, Palin knocked the ball out of the park with respect to her avoidance debate strategy.

Joe did a great job. Though I think he missed a few opportunities to rip loose he still did much better than I expected.

October 3, 2008 at 9:23 am |
  16. Jim Zayac

So Sarah's more likeable., but she failed to answer many of the questions that were asked last evening...I think that it's time for a White House that is going to take action and get things done. I'm ready for smart in the White House and that's what the Obama/Biden ticket offers. We can't afford to take the risk that the McCain/Palin ticket will continue down the failed paths of the Bush Admiinistration. When did being informed and being educated become a bad thing in the US?

October 3, 2008 at 9:17 am |
  17. Dean Schindler

I think the debate was exactly what it was...the VP wanna-be's airing out what they THINK the Pres-to-be is going to do. While I think Biden did a good job, I also think Palin did a good job. They were both pretty good about skrting the issues on topics they did not want to discuss...typical politicians. I find it a bit amusing that Palin plays the good ol country girl card so well...and she consistently says that she is not a 'washington person who quite understands all of the double-talk' and yet, she did quite a bit of that herself last night. Kudos for Biden to quickly say that just because he is not a woman, he understands what it is like to raise a family on his own and worry and wonder where the next meal will be coming from. I think he just might have scored a few undecided votes with his response to her on that very issue.
    I think it is interesting that Palin tried once again to skirt around the issue of gay marriage. Yes, she has friends that are in committed relationships...but that does not mean that she must really approve of them if she is so adamately opposed to at least same sex benefits...not to mention marriage.
    It was also driving me a bit crazy listening to her purposely avoid specific questions by ALWAYS going back to her Energy Bill and thought process. Just answer the question Palin. But also, when Biden would throw out the numbers to back his claim, which were normally off-base, that would just make me want to go through the television.
    I guess this is still a political game, and it will runs its course...I just wish I LOVED one of the candidates running! It scares me that we are in October, and I still dislike so much about both of these people.

October 3, 2008 at 9:11 am |
  18. Mindy

I'm still mulling over a commentator's description last night of Biden as "professorial"–as though that's a bad thing.

October 3, 2008 at 9:01 am |
  19. Phyllis

My husband & I both feel that Joe Biden certainly did a much better job
    in the debate! His knowledge was very obvious, where Gov. Palin was
    programed with ALL here answers. If there had been any follow up questions we don't think she could have answered them at all.

Gov. Palin looked like a programmed wind up doll. There were several questions that she didn't even try to answer and the moderator let her get by without answering the questions.

Also Joe Biden was usually asked the questions first which allowed Gov. Palin to follow up on his lead. Palin also seemed to have more time to answer questions. Several times she went on & on about the same thing without answering the original question! We never heard Gov. Palin say she saw the red light flashing, that her time was up, she was able to keep rambling on.

October 3, 2008 at 8:57 am |
  20. Marian Smith

Sarah Palin is a Governor of a state; therefore her "executive experience". I would like to point out that George Bush was also a Governor. Look where his "executive experience" has gotten us. Let's have a guy who doesn't have this garbage attached to him, too. After eight years of George Bush, there's no way I'll ever vote for a Republican!

October 3, 2008 at 8:54 am |
  21. Jo

How does Sarah Palin get any points for the VP debate? She did not answer the questions that were asked. This is because she has no answers. Why? Because she is ignorant of so many significant facts and issues (includiung changes in the bankruptcy laws). In fact, she told us last night, as she must have been coached to do, that she wasn't going to answer hard questions. She said that by saying that although she might not answer the questions the way they were asked but that she was going to speak straight to the Amercian public. What did she think the debate was for, but to speak to the American public. That was her way of getting a pass on not being able to provide answers. No one running for VP of this country gets a pass for being unable to answer question. What is America and the media thinking? So, she did not make a big flub or fall down on the air. Big deal. No points for Palin, low expectations or not.

October 3, 2008 at 8:34 am |
  22. Cynthia Duckworth

I too think both candidates did well last night, however it seemed like they were in two different leagues! Palin was playing on the frshman team while Biden was on the varsity team and thankfully Biden knew were not playing against one another.

October 3, 2008 at 8:17 am |