October 3rd, 2008

In the debate, what mattered

Program Note:

Sarah Palin and Joe Biden face off on the issues.
Join John King for the best analysis of the Vice Presidential debate!

The Next Vice President:
Biden-Palin Debate
Saturday and Sunday, 9p ET

__________________________________________________________________________________
[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/17/art.vert.palin.jpg width=292 height=320]

John King | BIO
Chief National Correspondent

It was a rude intrusion on the morning-after analysis of the one and only debate between the vice presidential candidates: a new government report showing the US economy lost 159,000 jobs in September – the ninth month in a row of job losses.

Tough economic news just as the House opened debate, for a second time, on a $700 billion rescue plan aimed at stabilizing the financial and credit markets. This time, the House approved the plan, and by Friday afternoon President Bush had signed it into law.

Proof that in the big picture, the face-off between the running mates has a limited shelf life as the dominant political story. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter.

It was a big event for two very different audiences, maybe three.

First: Republicans.

With the polls shifting toward the Democrats, a morale booster was a GOP priority. John McCain’s economic message this past week has been somewhat erratic, to say the least, and Gov. Sarah Palin’s rocky interviews with CBS anchor Katie Couric had even many Republicans conceding she appeared far from in command of basic issues, and was perhaps becoming a liability to the GOP ticket.

Scratch that latter part. Sen. Joseph Biden won the debate on points, and was an aggressive combatant in pressing the Democratic case. But Governor Palin had her moments and, perhaps more importantly, received strong reviews from the conservative grassroots.

Her most critical role is to engage and excite the GOP base, and on that narrow point, the reviews that matter most were favorable.

Second: Independents.

The reviews favor Biden here – and while running mates don’t usually close the deal, his forceful defense of Sen. Barack Obama and his equally forceful critique of McCain could help. On issues from Iraq to the economy, Biden was direct and aggressive.

Worth noting also though, is Governor Palin’s more folksy, outsider appeal. The inside the Beltway buzz was that it was over the top, and lacked substance. But Ross Perot won 20 million votes in 1992 with similar attacks on the way Washington doesn’t work, and with frustration on the rise because of the price tag of that $700 billion bailout plan, don’t discount the potential power of that kitchen table populism.

It is a race that will be decided by the choice between two very different candidates at the top of the tickets. But a colorful 90-minute face off between the two very different candidates in the supporting roles only added to the drama of this remarkable campaign cycle.

1. Arif

dear elise i read your comments pretty intresting.......god understand womens. you know what if joe biden want to corner palin he would have done it.....right at the moment she refuse to answer. But he din't if he did so you would have felt pit for SARAH PALIN.....and that want joe doesn';t want tooo.

October 4, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  2. Kenneth

John McCain and the President and the other republicans did nothing to stop the greed and scandal on Wall Street and in Washington. There were very little regulations in place and poor oversight of the financial markets. This has hurt our country big time. The upper class has gotten wealthier at the expense of the middle class. The republicans do not deserve another chance at this time in 2008 – 2009. Sorry Sarah Pailin but you just joined a group of politicians who proved they can not do it. Your efforts and skills will all be for naught at this given time.

October 4, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  3. Randy

I like Sarah Palin
    I don't think she is qualified for the job
    I dry-heave when there were some comparisons of her to Hillary Clinton
    I feel for her that she and her family have been put through this, but even if they don't win the election I don't think this is the last we are going to hear from her

October 4, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  4. Jeff P.

While Sarah Palin was more prepared for the debate than her previous controversial interviews, she clearly was rehearsed with talking points but no substance. This obviously is why she side-stepped many questions hoping a populist appeal would work. She is clearly not qualified to serve in the VP spot. This is the most important decision that we Americans will make, especially this year. John McCain's choice for VP appears much like many of his choices lately, not well thought out and all over the board. Disturbing, because I once was a huge fan. Wink!

October 4, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  5. Pat

Sarah Palin equals – Winkin Blinkin and Nod
    What a Portfolio for VP!

Joe should ask her the next time they meet if he can call her Winkie or Cutsie!

What a disgrace to America! If this woman is John McCain's pereception of someone who could literally take the reigns should he become incapacitated, He truly needs help! And if by some miracle they win, America will need another miracle to survive! Breathtaking? Absolutely!

October 4, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  6. Sue

And I think this self-proclaimed baracuda pitt bull with lipstick is just that and nothing else, and her can I call you Joe was so transparent, one to put him off his game but he is a bigger man than she could ever imagine so it didn't put him off at all, and her quaint condescending remarks while calling him Joe, show us just what a disingenuous sneaky unprofessional unrespectful self-proclaimed baracuda pitt bull with lipstick and now winking flirt she is... give us a break and please don't give us another day after the election of covering this obnoxious woman after she and McCain LOSE!

October 4, 2008 at 1:42 pm |
  7. Sue

I think CNN should take Palin up on her request to have more of these debates in the next month. Get someone like Anderson Cooper to moderate the debate and have him unbiasedly make sure both candidates stay on topic and answer the question at hand and not spew canned attacks like Palin did. She said she wanted more and if she turns you down, she will look like a lying hypocrite, so she has to say yes and Biden would undoubtedly say yes for the more he gets to show his knowledge and wisdom the better for his ticket and it will take away her hit-and-run low blows by making her talk of things of substance in a debate moderated by someone unbiased. The problem with the debate was that the moderator was so afraid of people saying she was biased since she was writing a book on blacks in politics or some such thing, that she didn't hold Palin to stay on topic and answer the questions, when most of the time she didn't even listen to the question at hand and just spewed rehearsed commercials. Anderson, no one better than you could moderate a debate, please try!

October 4, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  8. Frank

Palin was composed and mentally prepared for the debate . He performance exceeded my expectation. However, she is still inexperienced and definitely not VP material. Biden was the clear winner as he was cool and had the experience and knowledge needed to respond effectively and concisely to all questions asked spontaneously. His demeanour was like a real statesman.

October 4, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  9. Parker

I think with all the talk of taxes during the evening no one ever mentioned that Alaska has no State Income Tax or Sales Tax.. Actually residents get a $1,200 a annualy due to the sales of gas and oil. Sarah Palin is living in a tax bubble way up there in good ole' Alaska.

October 4, 2008 at 12:42 pm |
  10. Augustus

Speaking from abroad, I must agree with Anita of Georgia. It is a disgrace. I am still bewildered by her nomination. Please, american people, elect you president (and vp) wisely. The world´s future depends on it.

October 4, 2008 at 10:42 am |
  11. McCain/Palin

Sarah Palin has a record of accomplishment in the state of Alaska. I find it really funny how people on these blogs who support Obama try to pick apart everything she says and ignore her accomplishments, when they have a candidate running for President who only talks and has little or no record because he voted present over 100 times when he could have made a difference.

October 4, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  12. Jacqueline

While I am not able to vote in your election as I am a Canadian – I have to say that as a woman I was shocked to see Gov. Palin act in a way that was completely off topic, refusing to answer questions – or more likely UNABLE to answer the questions and stick to her script.

I do understand that it is difficult for any news organization to point this out for fear of backlash but please, please do not elect this person (team) into office....this is not a joke, this woman doesn't understand a basic question because she has only been at this for "five weeks" – what??? She is running for the second most important position in the American political system and no matter her "experience as a mayor, governor" she has admitted on national TV during the debate, she is not ready.

Good luck America – hopefully people will stop defending her because she is affiliated with a specific party and wake up in the next month.

October 4, 2008 at 9:43 am |
  13. Karen

I'm an Independant who did enough research on Palin to run straight to the Obama/Biden ticket. Not only is she unknowledgeable, she is overly-opinionated at a time when openmindedness is required, she quotes McCain constantly when it's clear she doesn't know what she's talking about, and her bizarre religious background is frightening.

I was also astonished at her lack of polish and terrible grammar. "Folksey" is fine, but mixing up tenses? I can see why it took her six years and six not-so-hot colleges to scrape up a degree, and I can also see why she isn't working in journalism.

October 4, 2008 at 9:37 am |
  14. CK

In my world, I don’t know what to make of a person who talks one way during a debate in Alaska, and another way in a debate in St. Louis. Where were the winks and you betcha’s then??

October 4, 2008 at 9:01 am |
  15. Steve - Philadelphia, PA

I liked Biden. He was especially good at debunking the idea that McCain is a maverick. Only in the eyes of McCain is McCain a Maverick, but in real policy decisions he is a bush! Biden was very good on Iraq and the war. Palin at one point was so full of herself that she said she wasn't going to answer a question that was given to her and expected of her to answer but that she was going to talk about what she wanted to talk about. She has a big ego. When Senator Biden responded to the energy question and ended with the thought that the main solution that McCain/Pailin offered was "Dill! Drill! Drill", she corrected him saying, "Joe you got it wrong on the trail its, "Drill, Baby, Drill!" Also Palin is, at times, a bit flippant, a bit too folksy with winking of the eye.

Biden also was super when he spoke about a son that was in an accident and what he as a single Dad had to deal with - he got emotional. Way to go Joe! - There is nothing more real than that! And it shows that in America we need to have an equal number of good Dads to Moms. Both Biden and Obama have shown in their life that they live that and that they value the family and family life. As a mother Gov. Palin has shown that and I am sure that McCain has been a good father, too. But it was great to see Senator Biden

October 3, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  16. Kim

$110 billion in fat on the chicken in an economic emergency ? What matters Washington ?

October 3, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  17. LYNN

WHAT MATTERS IS THE AMERICAN PEOPLE , WHICH DO NOT SEEN TO MATTER ANY MORE , WHAT HAPPEN TO THE DREAMS, SECURITY ,HOPE, FUTURE AND PROSPERITY. ALL OF THIS WILL NO LONGER EXIST IF WE DO NOT ALL COME TOGETHER. UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL. WE NEED A CHANGE FOR ALL PEOPLE IN U.S.A.!

October 3, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  18. Anita of georgia

Sarah Palin, must have worked at a waffle house. I have never seen anyone running for VP, so unqualified. She was very unprofessional. A VP conducting themself like her, is a disgrace and an embarrassment to the people of the United States of America.

October 3, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  19. Kim

What matters ? After the panic and emergency crisis to pass a bail out bill of 700 billion of which includes tax previsions for rum,wooden arrows,sheep and wool,race car tracks and other areas at a bottom line of extra's at 155 million , frankly that has put us in a state of cognitive melt down to comprehend, what does matter ? Why in crisis would they even consider such add ons and how do we revise under the circumstances to better utilize the so called sweetners ? The ext on unemployment passed today because of the democrats were there to vote in the house ! Could we use the 155 million in areas of critical concern and trim the fat off the chicken before we fry it or does it matter ? "Say it ain't so Joe." "When you hear the hounds,keep going !" Stop the bleeding ? Go get the doctor and we need stitches on these absurd extras in light of a Bill passed in a created need projected emergency.

October 3, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Steve Boyd

Sarah Palin provides a good presentation of herself, but not necessarily of the facts. She can carry a line with confidence, but honestly, she seems to dodge soe of the difficult ones, both last night and generally speaking in the mainstream interview process. She held it together and did put on a good "show" which I think is all she could be asked to do. The rest of the deal has to be closed by John McCain. I don't know if he can, though. His campaign on the economy is alittle broken and inconsistent. I don't think there is time for the economy to fall from the top of the list.

Biden, I thought was brilliant, walking the line between ot attacking and not seeming condesending. his answers, for the most part were factual sounding, and believable. Palin at times seemed like it was a speech instead of a debate. Biden could have capped her on a couple of mis-steps last night but showed excellent restraint, and stuck with the strategy.

Both did what they do best.

October 3, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  21. elise

well... Sarah Palin didn't look as foolish as her las 3 press interviews. I still have no clue who this robot is. Joe Biden has been around a long time, but since becoming Obama's running mate he has done nearly 100 press interviews. Palin has done 3!!!!

October 3, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Vvi

I would be greatly appreciated if Palin STOP WINKING at us or the camera especially when the Republican claims the media is harsh on Palin & sexist.

October 3, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  23. angela

Lets get real America. I now can run as a vice president. You don't need to be professional....give shout outs. You don't have to answer any questions.....just wink. You don't have to have any experience as everyone claims Obama needs. So you know my comment is she was a disgrace to me a woman. Hillary was classy and professional. Isn't that a qualification for a top position. This is serious. Let's just wink the war and economy away. This was the first time I saw Palin and was sad for her. You should be too. Women don't need sympathy. We need a competent Vice President.

October 3, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  24. Alyce Jones

When you go on an interview for a job, you are prepared, you answer questions that you are asked and you are professional. You don't wink and send out shout-outs. You don't state that you are not going to answer the questions, but instead will only talk about what you are comfortable with. (Debate coaches decision)

If you are so in touch with the people, wouldn't you have shown compassion to Sen. Biden, when he spoke about losing his wife and child and raising his two boys himself????? No, you continue to talk about how Sen. McCain is a maverick.

There were far better choices for Sen. McCain to choose from, but I it is quite obvious what his motives are.

October 3, 2008 at 9:43 pm |
  25. Annie Kate

The contrast between the 2 VP candidates was very clear last night – Biden whose knowledge and experience would have allowed him to talk intelligently about anything asked and Palin who seems to only know about energy – usually energy from oil from her own state. Palin seems to be a nice person but she doesn't look to be a qualified person to be VP. If she was ever in the position to take that 3am call, we'd all be in trouble.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

October 3, 2008 at 9:25 pm |
  26. Beth.......GA

“Say it ain’t so, Sen Biden”

Not as catchy as “Say it ain’t so, Joe” so Miss “I am just a hockey mom” made sure that the microphones heard her ask “Can I call you Joe?”. You will note that nothing else they said to each other before or after the debate was picked up by the mics. Now I am not surprised that Palin planned that – She is a politician. I would also not be surprised to learn that most Americans don’t realize what she was doing. But I have been surprised to see multiple journalists, including Campbell Brown, describe her “Can I call you Joe” as “friendly”. Were these journalists born yesterday?

October 3, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  27. Brandi-bottom of the boot

Ha! I thought I was just tired and imagining that Palin couldn't pronounce NUCLEAR!

Hey, I know, I was an energy regulator for 5 years, does that qualify me to run for the VP slot????? 🙂

October 3, 2008 at 8:57 pm |
  28. CK

Gordon – I totally agree! I thought the same thing and it struck me as very pathetic. She wants to throw the sarcasm but then retreats and claims she is picked on when ever she gets called out.

October 3, 2008 at 8:52 pm |
  29. Brandi-bottom of the boot

I had to watch the debate re-run. lol But I managed to make it through with only moderate stiffness today from all the cringing at Palin's responses. Im not even sure how extensive her knowledge is where energy is concerned. I keep hearing her go over her small resume over and over again and I literally wanted to jump through the TV at her when she said that Senator Biden kept going back to the past and that isnt going to accomplish anything.

Whew. Glad to get that off my chest. I never realized that world history was so irrelevant to our future. If McCain and Palin can continually point out that McCain himself was a POW, isn't that delving into the past??? I have great respect for McCain, I'm a military brat, but Palin triggers my gag reflex every time she opens her mouth.

I find that she likes to point out that she has a special needs child also. As a widow and single mother who lost her only son who also had special needs, I find it detestable. I also found that Senator Biden's response was the most earnest remark of the entire evening. His response was straight forward and basically told her that she is not the only person in the US who has had to face such adversities. Mr. Biden is welcome to come sit at my dinner table anytime. Gov. Palin sounds like she is from outer space.

Now let me just say that for me, this election is now about the VP choices. I was leaning towards McCain, I'm an Independent, but I can't put that loon in a position to potentially control our country. I just can't vote for her in any way. She is so far out of her league. Condie would have been a much better choice.

October 3, 2008 at 8:27 pm |
  30. Alex

Hey folks....they'll be using this as a comparison for how much she's improved over the next four to eight years when she reappears. McCain cooked the Republican ticket's goose on his own and actually it was Palin who kept it afloat so long. But in the final tally, McCain reverted back to supporting his his brother, George W. Bush and that lousy bailout package.

October 3, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  31. ssmith

If Joe Biden is such a man of the people why has he been in Washington his whole life as a "career Politician" and no one heard of him doing anything significant.

October 3, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  32. Dan

The format of the debate was dumbed down so that Sarah Palin could use talking points. Palin did a fair job remembering her lines as she did when addressing the GOP Convention. When she is not provided with a script she is clueless. This has been proven by the Katie Couric interviews.

October 3, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  33. Frank

The most telling thing that happened last night was what happened on CNN immediately following the debate. When they went to the so-called Focus Group of 32 people The first thing the CNN person hosting the focus group said she wanted a show of hands for those who thought Biden won the debate. 12-13 hands went up. Her response was "OK, overwhelming". Then she asked for hands of those who thought Palin won. 11-12 hands went up. Her response? "OK, so Biden wins by a significant margin". Is she kidding me? This is a prime example of how the ultra-liberal media uses even the most subtle cues to try and manipulate the voters by attempting to influence those who are listening and watching. How dare CNN? Is this really what the founding fathers had in mind when they drafted the 1st ammedment? Makes me sick to my stomach.

October 3, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  34. Jayshree Merchant

What is wrong with us americans? I command Governor Palin for her ability to connect with American People but this was not her slot for speach, it was a vice presidential debate. I feel ashamed and insulted that my future VP Candidate does not know the basics of a scripted, prepared speach vs. a debate! I think she owes an apology to public and some thing needs to be done for her attitude on the podium! People wanted to watch an intellectual debate and not her speach! SHe should have been disqualified from the debate after couple of warnings!
    Senator Biden gave the performance of his life. Congratulations, Senator Biden. We need a President and VP who are intellectual and have basic capacity to understand a difference between a debate and a speach! Ofcourse Senator Obama and Senator Biden brings a lot to the table over and above the basics of politics!

October 3, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  35. R David Stephens

Sarah Palin purposefully neglected to answer the debate questions because she was very focused on presenting her Stump Speech over and over...and over and over.

As a political tactic it seemed to have been highly effective since none of the press has taken her to task for that.

October 3, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  36. Stephanie in Houston

After Nov. 4, we will be able took back at the McPalin phenomenon and be a little more generous, perhaps. She has lowered the bar so much for future candidates that maybe it will generate some "fresh faces" and interesting new choices to future elections – and these new candidates will bring fresh perspectives, more energy and creativity, more intelligence and greater opportunities for the vast majority of Americans they serve. *sigh*

But enough of the Pollyanna platitudes: I think Palin's candidacy is a total farce, and McCain shouldn't even be running for President, and if we elect these two, we will be the laughing stock of the world - if it wasn't such a tragedy.

October 3, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  37. Bret Peters

Clearly America was looking for answers and solutions in detail. Not talking points, or cute stupidity. This is not a high school race for class president . This is for the real thing, and probably the most important of all American's lives. Please look at our problems, how serious they are, and why we got here. Look at democrats ready to pass the same bill without the pork. Realize that 8/10 of the pork added was too convince the republicans to say yes, instead of what was for America in a time of crisis. Oh Americans, please wake up and see the 800 pound gorilla in front of your face!

October 3, 2008 at 7:43 pm |
  38. Sandra

Gilby-HI It is harder than heck to get CNN to post anything conservative. I am open for a fair minded debate, but can't ever get in on the game. Wish the blog was open for everyone to participate in all the time.

October 3, 2008 at 7:42 pm |
  39. Sandra

Biden made some some big gaffes that were factually wrong...but I am sure they are way over anyones head who has posted here, and CNN wouldn't want you to know what they were. So as you knit pick Palin, you are ignorant to the real mistakes.

October 3, 2008 at 7:31 pm |
  40. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

@ James, England: hope not! I think we, Americans, are starting to wake-up!

Listening closely, all Gov. Palin had to do is repeat over and over the same party-and-campaign-lines she had memorized.

Please, folks, we already had (have) Joe-six-pack in the highest office! George W., is the typical Joe-six-pack. We need intelligence and eloquence. Our best and brightest!

Is it TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR A PRESIDENT THAT CAN PRONOUNCED .......NUCLEAR? For Pete's sake, English is our "official" language and even poor Sarah can't pronounce the .......word!

Yes, James in England, you are gosh-darn-right, that Joe won last night! Ya betcha!

October 3, 2008 at 7:09 pm |
  41. Sharon from Indy

John:
    As a Hoosier from the highest "blue collar" population in the US, Indiana may be turning toward Obama/Biden for one reason: survival. We don't need a soccer mom as vice president; we need someone who understands the working class in America.

Though Senator Biden did mention his working class background and his "blue collar" friends from Pennsylvania in the debate, the vote he gave yesterday for the people of Delaware may not have been the wishes of his constituency; it was just about plain politics.

As for Governor Palin, she is out of touch with Indiana. Most Indiana soccer moms are more affluent, are driving mammoth SUV's and are color coordinating their child's team colors with their purse and shoes.

Most blue collar moms and dads have to work overtime to meet the responsibility of house payments, increased energy bills and gas prices. They may not be able to go to every soccer or athletic game but try to when they can.

Every day I talk to people who have been laid-off – from car salesmen to factory workers who have worked for decades in their jobs. Even though Indiana foreclosures, at the moment, are not increasing, we don't expect it to get any better for a long time.

I realize there are not guarantees in life or politics, but I know one thing: I am still in charge of my vote.

October 3, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  42. vic

That is one scary thought James.

The fact that McCain chose Sarah Palin to be his ruining mate, just shows me the horrible types of judgments he is possible of making if he were to become president.

October 3, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  43. Gilby-HI

Does anyone know why CNN does not post Conservative posts? Do we live in a republic or is this the Soviet Union of CNN?
    If I post the gaffs that Sen Biden made last night why not post them?

October 3, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  44. Paul T

Plain's non-answer gaffes were the highlight of the debate for me. Her "folksy" demeanor seems demeaning. I don't understand why any person, male or female, can not see through her games. She's a power hungy egoist.

Biden won the debate because he carried himself well, answered the questions and treated Palin with respect though she did not return the favor.

October 3, 2008 at 6:41 pm |
  45. movie fan

the VP debate was stunning. Palin did a decent job faking about 20% of the questions and didn't even bother answering the other 80%.

i couldn't help thinking of the end of the movie Billy Madison, when the debate moderator says to Adam Sandler, "Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

October 3, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  46. James, England

Biden won the the debate hands down, Palin gave a solid performance in mediocre babble I was not at all impressed with her. How many times does she say 'also' when she babbles.

What worries me is that America will sleep walk into voting for McPalin because she winks.

October 3, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  47. Gordon

Sarah Palin set Joe Biden up for a planned name attack. When she asked for permission to call him Joe, she was putting in place the stingers to come. Sarah Palin referred to Joe Biden as Senator Biden or Biden until she wanted use her stingers/jokes. This is very disrespectful. She was not asking for the permission to be cordial. This was planned and only the regular "Joes" can see this clearly.

October 3, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  48. Max Ollendorff

Sarah Palin has not earned the right to wink at me like I'm a part of her little swindle.

October 3, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  49. Gary Chandler in Canada

Her unbridled adoration of McCain as 'maverick'. Does it NOT matter how he got his maverick 'reputation'. After being swift boated in the 2000 campaign by the Bush/Cheney forces, he was understandably 'upset'. [Remember, they called his wife a drug addict, him a homosexual, and a Manchurian candidate.]
    SO, for a brief period he opposed everything Bush and even supported Jeffords who went Independent.
    He opposed tax cuts for rich, now does NOT. He opposed gun legislation, climate change, and a couple of other issues.
    ahhh, BUT a few Committee appointments and he was back in the fold. FIND any opposition to Bush from 2001!
    One day he says NO to a bail out with PORK. The next day he was signing it!!!
    What is a 'maverick', after all? An orphaned calf that anybody can claim by branding it! a loner! a flip flopper! He is a maverick all right!

October 3, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  50. Nancy Yates

The most striking moment in the debate was when Palin didn't know what Gwen Ifill meant when she asked about her "achilles heel." Not one commentator has mentioned this. Watch a replay. Palin has no idea what Ifill is talking about.

I am a rural (Central Texas), white, soccer mom but I know what an "achilles heel" is and I think any intelligent person should.

Simply amazing.