October 3rd, 2008

Evening buzz: Sizing up the bailout; scoring the V.P. debate

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/03/bailoutbailout.copy.jpg caption="President Bush signs the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008"]

Cate Vojdik
AC360° Writer

House lawmakers held their noses and swallowed a bitter pill today, approving a revised bailout bill, 263-171. Less than two hours later, President Bush signed the measure into law. The plan allows the Treasury Secretary to buy as much as $700 billion in troubled assets. It’s designed to kick-start lending by unfreezing credit markets – but will it work? We’ll spend a lot of time talking about that tonight. We’ll also look at how the bill’s supporters sweetened the deal to get the votes they needed. Just four days ago, the House rejected the original bill. Did lawmakers put lipstick on a pig? John McCain and Barack Obama gave their spin on the trail today. We’ll hear what they had to say.

Tonight’s other big story is the vice presidential debate, which turned out to be a blockbuster. An estimated 70 million people watched – the biggest audience ever for a V.P. debate. Did it change the race? Which candidate came out ahead? And who strayed from the truth the most? The best political team on television weighs in.

We’re curious about your take on last night’s debate and the bailout. Let us know what you think. See you at 10 p.m. eastern.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. L. Butler

Ok. . . Let's be very serious for a moment. You free up money for people to begin borrowing again?
    We are [the American people] in enough personal debt!
    Here's the cycle:
    We will still have to pay for previous debts (that they have been bailed out of) but we will be able to obtain more debt to pay off the first (doubling their profit), which will put us back at square one.
    Who are we saving here? What a bailout!

October 5, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  2. mark henning

I cant believe he is smiling while signing our death of our USA nation unbelievable. Just like the house wining because they had to stay and work this crap deal out. I work on Christmas New Years and holidays and these guys think they deserve the day off appalls me.

October 5, 2008 at 9:21 pm |
  3. linda from South Dakota

i personally think biden did a wonderful job explaing things.. he was concise and even toned whereas ,, palin didnt answer one singe question straight,, she skirted every issue, her winks,, are so cecieving,,, at one point it looked like she had a ear piece in her right ear and she said ,, yes ok,,,, ummm, then continued talkin blab blab, but its veru obvious she had someone coachin her with the debate was on, isnt this illegal??? ummm

October 5, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  4. Guy Phillips

I want to know why nobody is talking about the McCains involvement with the S&L scandal of the 80's. After all, he was one of the Keating 5.

Does he get a pass on that?

McCain is out of touch with reality and needs to retire to his ranch in Sedona.

October 5, 2008 at 5:47 pm |
  5. Mary Baker

John McCain and Sarah Palin keep saying they are mavericks, when I believe most would agree they are both loose canyons.

Is Sarah's husband going to serve in the Vice President job like he did in her Govenor's job in Alaska? News stated he was always in her office even when most would say his presence was not appropriate. Who is the person running, Sarah with her cute smiles winks and everyday talk or is it her husband who is truly the one who has the brains in her family?

October 5, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  6. Karin

I am surprised at the "lack of experience" talk about Gov. Palin.
    Gov. Carter, Gov. Clinton, Gov. Bush had exactly the same amount of experience as Gov. Palin ... the difference is the amount of time they had to prepare for the Campaign.

As for the debate ... I am more disappointed in Senator Biden. He has been there in the Senate for a very long time and he didn't get his facts correct, I felt lied to... Gov. Palin is not a Washington insider, so naturally most of the talking points were rehearsed and memorized.

The "Bailout/Rescue" is a joke that will hurt more people then it helps. I live within my means ... I was offered a subprime loan with an ARM, I refused. This whole country lives beyond it's means and we have made sure our children will be in debt and even the unborn will be in debt. The fact that Sen. Biden, Sen. Obama, and Sen. McCain voted this bill in confirms to me that there will be NO CHANGE by either party in the "new" adminstration.

The media is also guilty ... what ever happened to the reporting news? This Bailout was pushed by the media, without any investigating. "this bailout/rescue" wasn't "sold well" is what we are hearing now. I don't want to be "sold" anything. I want facts ...unbiased and accurate. As for the campaigns ... it's clear the media wants Obama for President and they don't care if he is qualified or not.

I am an undecided voter because the choices for President I have been given is more of the same old politics and I don't think anything in Government will change.

October 5, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  7. Irene

I pay PMI insurance along with my mortgage. I am sure most of these foreclosured on paid PMI, also. Where did that money go?

October 5, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  8. Julie A

What took so long???

FINALLY!!! In wake of the increase in natural disasters the US government has stepped up to the plate. I will be the first to say that Bush actually accomplished something monumental in his administration! Let it not be said of me that I won't give credit where credit is due! Now that I've said all of that let me 'let the cat out of the bag'. We now have a military unit dedicated to responding to it's home nation when in need. What a godsend this would have been to the Katrina catastrophe. A preemptive strike to a national disaster! Yes, we're a day late and billions short but let it not be said that we will E-V-E-N-T-U-A-L-L-Y learn from our mistakes.

ps... our natl. guard is out of the nation – not home.. please leave a message at the beep.

October 5, 2008 at 3:54 am |
  9. Steve

Anderson, loved your question about whether anyone in Congress is taking any blame for the financial chaos! All I've seen is a lot of finger pointing, particularly to Wall Street, when the real problem in my opinion falls on Congress. They haven't been doing their jobs for a long time. They are focused on job security and adding pork. I'm not sure what any of them have done for us for four years. Is there anyone in Congress who has guts? Or, anyone who even cares about this country? I don't think so. Keep raising the tough questions; it's appreciated.

October 3, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  10. chuck

This is Sarah Palin and John McCain during the last month. 1. Closed his campaign to go to Washington to get rescue plan pass and not sure whether to attend the debate. Result-FAILURE. 2. HE said he was not supporting any PORK BARREL DEAl. Result. Rescue plan was filled with one hundred and ten billion dollars. 3. He invested so much time and money in Michigan and now he pulls out. result. FAILURE. He might as well close down the campaign right now and save the people's cash because he has mismanaged his campaign and i will have to give him an edge for misjudgement over his BUDDY George w Bush. John you need to drive the straight talk express to the BRIDGE TO NOWHERE and park it on the ROAD TO NOWHERE. FINITO ,ADIOS, GOODBYE.

October 3, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  11. Amadou Drammeh

Dear Anderson

I am deeply angered by the passing of the $700 billion bailout of Wall street. The idea that this will revive or stabilize the economy or even slow down the economic downturn is absurd. The $700billion dollar bailout should be given to the tax payers who are homeowners to payoff the mortgages. When I suggest this some people would say "this is socialist in nature". What do you call bailing out Wall street? With the $700 billion, a minimum of $10million homeowners will pay off their mortgages; then with no mortgage payments to worry about, home owners will have more money to spend on consummables to keep blue collar workers in their jobs, more cars would be sold; the auto companies will be revived, the retail businesses will be revived, people will be able to save and invest in Wall Street. The Banks which are sinking will get the monies owed to them, paid off instead of having bad debts in their books. Only in this way will we revive the economy, bailout Wall street and Bailout the Taxpayers. Everybody wins. Why is anyone afraid to suggest this. Henry Paulson set this up and it is just a stampeded to create panic and the whole Congress and Cabinet and media is following – as we did in the lead up to the war in Iraq. Let us question courageously. Let us take a deep breath and let this suggestion sink in and we can survive .

October 3, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  12. Pete Cole

As someone who has been undecided up until this point I tried to watch the debate with an open mind. This is what I saw.

Palin came across as phony and very uninformed. She could not answer the questions and made up a phony excuse that she would answer the questions with what she wanted to say and what America wanted to hear. Why is no one calling her on this?! Gwen Ifel was very gracious to her. Palin confirmed for me that she is not prepared for this.

Biden came across as thoughtful, crisp and intelligent. He answered every question quickly and thoroughly. He was very professional and seemed very qualified. He seemed very capable and very compassionate. Qualities that I want in a leader.

This mirrors what I saw in last weeks presidential debate.

Obama/Biden get my vote.

October 3, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  13. George

If you really want to do a major service for the people of America it would be wonderful if you could expose who put the "speed racer", arrow maker, and rum runner fat in the bill that was absolutely necessary to stop the sky from falling so we could show what we think of them at the polls.

October 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Andrew HS

I don’t know what our representatives are thinking, but I can say this much, they have just signed there own pink slip come Nov. Republicans and Democratics will be replaced, hopefully with better individuals understanding of what the American people really need and want. I might be wrong on thinking this, but aren’t our Senators and Congressmen, servants to the people. Correct me if I’m wrong.
    The banks got us into this mess, because there were loan officers giving out loans to people that couldn’t afford them. I mean wouldn’t you tell someone that if interest rates go up, this is what your loan payment would be and ask the question. Would you beable to afford this? So my answer to the problem is the CEO’S, CFO’S and middle management should have been fired and without a severance package. Bad behavior should not be rewarded!!

October 3, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Latoya

The Bailout is basically we're damned if we do or we're damned if we don't! We 're going to be in tough spots no matter which way we go! Today I registered to vote for the first time after seeing the debate. I said McCain and especially Palin, who is totally lost from here to across the street or bridge should I say! We can't allow these two in the White House! Our Country needs the views of persons who go through and can relate to an everyday individual, those persons are Barack Obama and Joe Biden!!

October 3, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Boots

Personally, I find Governor Palin embarrassing. The idea that the rest of the world would look at us and see a nation which would elect the mean average instead of the cream of the crop makes me want to write a letter of apology.

On the other hand, that the general public would feel so excluded from Washington politics and so marginalized by the powerful fiscal elite that they would think someone who offers cutsie-isms instead of in depth knowledge is a better choice? That's a sad testimony to the state of the nation.

We all need to take a step back and think hard before voting. This is the future of our/the world we're voting for, not American Idol.

October 3, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Ginger

I really had a problem with the winks and folksy style of Sara Palin. Yes, she may speak that way from Alaska, fine. But it seemed to me that she used it to excess with the winks....what 20 total? The epitomy of a woman being cutesy and thinking that will cover over the fact that this woman is not even close to being prepared for the VP position. Just what we need, another ego-centric, God is on my side, ah gee I'm one of you, unprepared moron one step away from the White House. I think we have already seen what THAT can do over the last eight years.

October 3, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  18. ogarza

Anderson: Now that the bailout bill has been passed by Congress, our Washington leaders (President, Congressional Majority & Minority Leaders) need to appear together on prime time television & radio and apologize to the American public (us) for looking the other way for so long. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CURRENT ECONOMIC CRISIS! Fess up and ask for forgiveness. Shame on all Federal elected officials during the past 20-30 years. Commence the healing with an apology....NOW!

October 3, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  19. David Moser-San antonio

AC, I was schocked that congress and the president signed this bill in just a few days, yet it took the months to approve and sign the $600 rebate and months after that to get the check!! I guess we all now know where the voters stand with the congress. I like other voters just feel used by Wall street and our own congress.

Dave-San Antonio

October 3, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  20. Dan

I do not believe that ANYONE IN GOVERNMENT has been honest about what is going on. We have been told that we have to do this to avoid a recession. 600 dollars to each tax paying family pulled the country out of a recession for one quarter. 700 Billion is equal to 23,558 dollars for every man woman and child in the country. Am I missing something?

Warren Buffet made reference to Pearl Harbor several times last night. Do we need 700 Billion dollars to fight an economic war? We invented this type of war with the U.S.S.R. We won that one. Or, is the 700 Billion to fight a depression.

I would support the 700 Billion dollars for either one of these senario's. I do not support what appears to be a 700 billion dollar redistribution of wealth.

Uncle Sam, please try telling us the truth. We might surprise you.

October 3, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  21. A H Saarby

I don't know what our representatives are thinking, but I can say this much, they have just signed there own pink slip come Nov. Republicans and Democratics will be replaced, hopefully with better individuals understanding of what the American people really need and want. I might be wrong on thinking this, but aren't our Senators and Congressmen, servants to the people. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The banks got us into this mess, because there were loan officers giving out loans to people that couldn't afford them. I mean wouldn't you tell someone that if interest rates go up, this is what your loan payment would be and ask the question. Would you beable to afford this? So my answer to the problem is the CEO'S, CFO'S and middle management should have been fired and without a severance package. Bad behavior should not be rewarded!!

October 3, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  22. Martha

I am very nervous about McCain/ Palin, can you imagine our very troubled country in the hands of these people? A man that has the same ideas of Bush and a woman that is the Governor of a state that has more deer than people. For a non educated American this is probably fine but for an intelligent person is not.

October 3, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Joyce

I've noticed a couple of comments after the debate giving allowance for Gov. Palin nervousness because the media had such low expectation...YADAYADAYADA.

Seemingly some were equally impressed with winks and smile and empty headed comments when asked 5th grader questions about the Executive/Legislative authority of a sitting Vice President. If questions from a moderator on a national stage frighten her, she' simply not prepared to lead; nationally, globally or in any capacity.

Gov. Palin may be smart but last night she relied on "slick" and "manipulative" behavior. Both are unacceptable behaviors as Commander in Chief or Vice President.

October 3, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  24. royce berler

it seems that in an arena where Sarah Palin can get away with not answering questions directly and there are no follow up questions to her answers she does very well as we saw last night..when talking one on one and being made to answer more directly she cannot handle it... of course she passed the debate last night with flying colors..no one was there to question her answers more directly and i think the general public can see through this. at least i hope so...i am disappaointed and find it odd that she was not questionned on women's rights issues...was this on purpose to protect the republican party?? hmmmmmm....it would be great to have a debate where the public could ask the questions.....

October 3, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Jon from Ohio

I think it's a shame what happened today in Washington D.C. I keep hearing from the Republicans how they worked in a bipartisian way for this bill then today over a hundred Republicand voted against it !! Wheres the bipartisianship in that BS? We lost 160 thousand jobs here in the good ole USA last month. Businesses are closing there doors all over this good country of ours ! WHERES THERE BAIL OUT !! We just subsidised the auto industry for some 25 billion stinkin dollars !!! Whats up with that BS ? We bail out the airlines every time we turn around, it goes on and on, and from the looks of things will be goin on for alot longer if McCain gets in office. I'm no fan of O'Bama but how can he do any worse than Bush/McCain/Palin.
    Thanks for nothing Republicans !!!

October 3, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  26. jeff

Hey where's my earmark. Let's give every body $10,000. No, wait a minute, I can't count all the zeroes on my calculator(350 millionX10,000). That won't work. Sorry.

October 3, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Emily

I thought Palin and Biden both did a great job representing themselves and their beliefs. I know I learned a lot about both candidates. I don't care about a winner just as much as I don't care about what newspaper Palin reads. I would have told Katy Couric to go take a look in my restroom, and she can let me know.

October 3, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  28. Verna Cooke-Rishell

I wasn't happy about the bail out to begin with, but then I find out that our dedicated public servants had enough time in this time of economic crisis to tack on their pet projects!

If I had known they were going to throw everything else onto this piece-of-garbage bill, I could have had them send me the money for a few of MY pet projects...heat in my house this winter, food on the table for my family, etc.

I'm working a full-time job in a two-income household, and we are just keeping our heads above water right now. Where's MY bail out?

October 3, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Joan/ Orlando

Good Evening Anderson
    They should have kept the pork out of it. Who is going to drink all that rum? We need that money to pay bills and feed our families. People all over the world must be truly laughing at us. They should not have signed this bill. I am scared that I would not be able to pay my bills and these people are giving away our tax dollars. God help us.

October 3, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  30. Jon

Ahh, behold the ignorance of conservative white America. When all else fails blame someone who looks different than you.

October 3, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  31. Christopher

Middle America is starting to really feel the bad economy. They are showing in the news all the tents people have to live in at the major cities of the US. I think we have passed the recession point and gone into another depression. People are scared to say it but look at what is going on. I am from Ohio and we along with the rest of the midwest have been seeing this for years now. People make their livings in these areas through factories and they are all shutting down. No one can make a living around here anymore. Then the government wants to go help out the big companies by giving them tax breaks and making us pay for their mess. I would rather go down the hole and live in a cardboard box then see these guys get away with the money we now have to give them along with the money they already have.

October 3, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  32. Helen

John McCain is losing because Sarah Palin is not qualified to be President. What is hurting him is his age. Everyone is calling him "Dead Man Walking". Don't you think Bobby Jindal would have been a better candidate?

October 3, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  33. Mary

I know that I am not the only one in America that is really sick of the Gov. Sarah Palin craze. If Gov. Palin is quallified to handle the VP job for the country, then she should be able to handle the media and whatever spin it conjure up. She in not ready, able or quallified to be number two in the nation and Sen. McCain is not quallified to be number one because of his choice of Gov. Palin....end of story!

October 3, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  34. Barbara P.

As far as the debate went last night, I feel more comfortable with Biden than Palin as a possible commander in chief. I didn't like the fact that Palin kept talking about drilling while we are undergoing a global warming issue in the world. Does she understand that fossil fuels are contributing to global warming and we need to explore other methods of energy?

And as far as the bailout bill is concerned, I was against it from the beginning and I am still against it. This was highway robbery perpetrated on the American taxpayer by a government that would not listen to their voice. Make sure you all remember that on election day!

October 3, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  35. JRQ Calif

AIG gave a big 5 star party after they got there billions at Capristro Hotel in California. You can find out more information in the Orange County newspaper.

October 3, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  36. April

Look, Middle America is hurtin out there. We are not listening to conservatives anymore. We did it in 2000 and then, we all hoped and prayed in 2004 that finally we would be relieved. Nope! We are all weary and tired, we have gas shortages in my hometown (when we can afford it, we cannot find it) and trouble making ends meet, not to mention the cost of transporting all of our goods (food included) is affecting the cost of food and essential items.
    People keep saying "live within your means"...well who makes enough money to do that these days?

October 3, 2008 at 9:53 pm |
  37. Presley

Well it's nice to read all the experts on the Bail Out on this blog.
    I am still confused and I can admit it.
    I'm even more confused that either candidate could claim it as their idea and their Victory for the public.

As for the debate, Palin only regained the ground she herself lost.
    All of the narratives regarding how she did last night leave me with the conclusion she is a Glorified GOP Cheerleader, limited to nothing more than amping the base and performing like the Energizer Bunny.

She keeps going and going and going and going......to no where.

October 3, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  38. Annie Kate

So glad we are going to hear more about the bailout tonight – maybe someone can explain just exactly how its suppose to work. And how long it will be to see if it is working as intended.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

October 3, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  39. Andrew

While I am happy that the Rescue plan/Hog plan passed, something tells me that most of this is really for the Wall streets folks, friends and families of George Bush. We may not know this untill years to come. No doubt the idiotic main street folks were at fault and deserves whatever comes next. America, the milk and honey don't flow forever!!.
    It will be interesting to know what John Mccain thinks about supporting the "HOG PLAN"- I have lost faith in the congress. If they wouldn't pass a clean rescue bill then why pass a muddy rescue bill.
    This is concerning. Besides, I don't think the Bill will turn the Economy around at least for the next two years. Furthermore, I am afarid to say that the Republicans can not turn Economy around either.
    Not to pass the drinking water to Obama, but at least he smart, different, awakens hope and excite the world around the America shore, which we need right now.

October 3, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  40. Larry L.

We the working people are currently working at least TWO full days a week to pay our current taxes,Obama thinks WE should be working MORE to pay for his TAX increases.He telling you HIS TAX increases will NOT effect ANYONE,but BUSINESSES and the very wealthy.DO NOT BELIEVE IT !!

We will all be paying the tax increases-Businesses like General Mills will be increasing the price on a box of cereal to pay the tax increase,all businesses will be passing the cost along to us,the consumer.CARS,FOOD,CLOTHING,EVERYTHING-Obama IS a liar!!!!

October 3, 2008 at 9:02 pm |
  41. J. Lytle

When I get on a plane, I want my pilot to be the best that he/she can be. They have expertise that I have absolutely no idea about. They are competent. When I get on that plane, I trust them with my life. I don't want them to "be like us". It should be the same with my president/vice president. I don't want them to "be like us". They should not be talking about sitting at the "kitchen table". They are running a country and need to project an entirely different image of themselves. Sarah Palin was a complete failure at capturing the essence of leadership we need. Winking might work up in Wasilla, but not in front of 70 million desperate individuals hoping for the best out of this.

October 3, 2008 at 8:56 pm |
  42. EJ (USA)

Did you hear about the 90 year old woman in Ohio who shot herself because her home was going to be foreclosed? She is now in critical condition.

October 3, 2008 at 8:53 pm |
  43. lampe

Kari: I hate to be the one to inform you of this. But Obama, also said he was against this, and then ended up voting yes. So if you going to accuse one, how about being fair and accuse both of them.

October 3, 2008 at 8:50 pm |
  44. kari

Did John McCain already violate a campaign promise? He signed on the pork spending bill in the "bailout/rescue" and will he make sure we "know their names?"

October 3, 2008 at 8:37 pm |
  45. Ray Dean Worley

They voted yes on the bailout and the stock market dropped 400 points. I feel betrayed. Who's minding the shop? Or are they any minds in the shop at all?

October 3, 2008 at 8:23 pm |
  46. Vicki from NJ

Governor Sarah Palin has what it takes, period! Joe Biden was great too, but he's been on the scene already for years so I expected him to do well. I think she's confident, but overwrought by the campaign folks. I'd like to see how well Joe Biden or Senator Obama would have done with just a couple of months on the scene? I hope she runs for President in 4 years! She'll be ready and able.

And, by the way, since both candidates voted for this big bailout, is not a good sign for what's to come if one of them becomes President. "We the people," are scared because they did this vote without regard for we the people. We couldn't even get through the phones today. But it's okay in the end for us taxpayers to get and pay the bill isn't it?! Shame on our government for letting this happen and then expecting us to pay for it.

I'm not sure I'm even going to vote now this year, I'm so disgusted with both candidates. I hope Nader is still on the ticket?

October 3, 2008 at 8:22 pm |
  47. Candace Grube

Biden was Superior to Palin in every area of the debate. Sarah Palin exceeded expectations – However the bar was so low it didn't take much for her to exceed expectations. Joe Biden showed tremendous restraint when Gov. Palin kept trying to answer all questions with the same answer.

She can really deliver a memorized line that someone has written for her. She chokes however with simple questions from voters. Tonight she moved around the questions and dodged providing answers bringing everything back to energy. Folksy is fine if you are qualified and I don't feel Sarah is qualified to be the VP and certainly not the President.

I am getting tired of just hearing the buzz words – Palin has no substance.

As a side note: Palin is against the banning of automatic weapons and assault rifles. Now that may have no bearing and virtually no consequence in the rural backwoods of Mayberry where they hunt moose – But – It has tremendous bearing and significant consequences and impact in East L.A, or the South side of Chicago, or the Inner City of Detroit , or in Miami or any other major city.

She's Folksy which can be sweet but that's wearing very thin and it's making me Diabetic. Sarah has no street smarts and I don't trust her instincts. She's not ready.

It seems that John McCain wanted to choose a woman and it was an unbelievable lapse in judgement to think that we just wanted any woman. It's disappointing as there are several women qualified to be the VP right now that could have been chosen.

I guess John McCain thought unknown and moldable would be more
    Advantageous – Wrong Call John.

October 3, 2008 at 8:21 pm |
  48. jim

The debate was won by Palin. This is by taking in low expectations mainly from her interview with the biased Katie Couric asking her Gotcha questions. It hasn't helped at this time maybe later. The condition of the economy is helping Senator Barack Hussein Obama at this time. Senator John Sidney Mc Cain has to bring up the economy in Jimmy Carter's administration and compare it to now. In Carter's administration, inflation was about 18% unemployment 17-19% and the prime rate was 21% ( I believe the prime rate now is about 2%) not to mention the humiliation of letting a terrorist nation hold US Hostages for over 400 days. He definitely wasn't looking out for the middle class. He campaigned on CHANGE. Once the American people is reminded of this, Obama will lose the election.

October 3, 2008 at 8:19 pm |
  49. ssmith

re the debate:

no one is changing their vote. my theory is that people who say they're "undecided " just want to be on TV

October 3, 2008 at 8:17 pm |
  50. ssmith

the funny thing is, banks were pressured by a liberal Congress to loan to minorities and illegal immigrants. why are we surprised that most of them defaulted?

Looks like we need a much more conservative approach to lending money in this country. Looks like we need McCain/Palin .

October 3, 2008 at 8:15 pm |