October 3rd, 2008

Erica’s news Note: On the menu

Erica Hill
AC360 Correspondent

A little over a year ago, we did a segment on my show titled “Does God Want You to Be Rich?” It’s a provocative question, with some very passionate views on both sides. The so-called Prosperity Gospel basically suggests that as part of the love God has for you, he wants you to prosper, and in many circles this prosperity is directly aligned with wealth and material goods. But could that push for prosperity be responsible for some of the foreclosures across America? Our sister publication, TIME, tackles this with the question “Did God want you to get that mortgage?”

__________
Melamine-tainted food and dairy products made in China have now turned up in Vietnam, Russia, Australia and the US. In Vietnam alone, the tally now stands at 18 tainted products from China and two other countries. Great. Now, the FDA says trace amounts of melamine are safe in most foods, except baby formula. Really? I’m thinking if it’s not good for the little ones, it certainly can’t be good for me, even in small doses. In my completely unscientific opinion, the less processed your food, the better. Not only is it better for you, you feel better, too.

Exhibit A: non-dairy powdered creamer. This stuff creeps me out. Not only does it give me terrible heartburn, but reading the list of ingredients makes my head spin. In addition to the unpronounceable on the label is the warning that this product is “Highly Flammable” – you’re instructed to keep this white stuff away from open flames and extreme heat. Riiiight, so we’ll put it right next to the scalding coffee pot slowly charring on the HOT plate. I feel safe.

__________

Most of us at AC360 were disgusted at the idea of the “fish pedicure” – who knew there was something even more disgusting than the cheese grater for your heels, the Ped Egg? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but while the Ped Egg will live on (you can’t miss the display at my local drug store – right when you walk through the door, BAM!), the fish pedicure is no more. Why, you ask? This may come as a shock, but a state licensing board says the practice of guppies nibbling on your tootsies is unsanitary. I told you, shocking.
__________

Apparently, Bubbe isn’t the only one who knows the benefits of a little chicken soup – Chinese zookeepers are using the original cure-all as a stress reducer for a couple of overworked pandas.

It’s been a rough week for “Hope” and “Greatness”. The three year-old pandas are a bit overwhelmed by the surge in visitors during this week’s National Day holiday – on Wednesday alone, some 30,000 people flocked to the Wuhan Zoo. A thousand of them jammed the panda enclosure, shouting at the pandas. Gee, I wonder why the poor animals were pacing. I hope they added some matzo balls to the soup – I think that’s where the real power lies in the chicken soup.

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note
  1. Don, WA

The less artificially processed food, and foot products – the better. Go natural. Kinda contradictional article today.

October 5, 2008 at 12:48 am |
  2. Don, WA

Unsanitary? The world is not a sterilized hospital – I thought the guppy cleaning was kinda naturally cool for the ladies.

October 5, 2008 at 12:37 am |
  3. Annie Kate

I'm with you Erica – I much prefer fresh food to processed. And I really don't want anything that comes from China; its gotten really scary with the baby formula and the pet food, etc. Nothing they make will ever beat the fresh sweet corn I can get at the farmer's market. And the farmer will tell me exactly what he used in growing that ear of corn.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

October 3, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  4. Tammy, Berwick, LA

One of my friends and I actually became quite bored at our end of year student government association banquet and ignited some of the powdered coffee creamer at our table. It was a small spark, but the stuff is flammable. The things we did in our impulsive early twenties.

The fish ped and ped egg are both disgusting. Whatever happened to a good ol' fashioned mani-pedi at your favorite salon? This is just as bad as the bird poop facial.

Have a good one. After the week I've had, a mani-pedi, cut/color, facial, and massage are in order.

October 3, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  5. Sharon from Indy

Erica:
    Something more bizarre......Have you heard about the PED representative that asked Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream to consider using breast milk rather than cow's milk in their ice cream?

October 3, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  6. Sharon from Indy

Erica:
    God's prosperity has nothing to do with physical goods. With guidance, prosperity is defined as serving humankind or maybe just your neighbor.

Many organized churches have forgotten the teachings of Christ.

October 3, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  7. Sharon, Sydney, NS

I don't get the whole powdered coffee cream thing either. It creeps me out.

October 3, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  8. Alexander

Happy Friday Erica! Yayyyy, the weekend is here! I don't think there's anything more gross than that ped egg thing, sorry to say. The fish pedicure isn't quite as gross as that ped egg. That ped egg had my tummy turning.: ) On a more positive note, I hope your Friday evening is going well and that you're looking forward to the weekend ahead.; ) : )

October 3, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  9. Lilibeth

I agree that natural foods are best. Not only is it better for you, it tastes better too.

The fish pedicure is weird.

Those poor pandas...I hope they get some rest soon.

See you later.

October 3, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  10. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Does God want us to prosper while others in the world suffer? NO!
    It's alright to prosper as long as you share with those not so fortunate.
    That kind of reminds me of Santa Claus when I was a kid. Why did I get gifts and others didn't? Because they were bad? Well, that is how it appeared to them and just because they were poor.
    Woohoo Erica! Are we ready for this week to be over or what?
    Whew!
    See you tonight~
    XXOO

October 3, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  11. Jennifer NC

I'm with you Erica on the Melamine issue. I don't want to go near it in any amount. Also after reading your blog today I am glad I don't like coffee and so stay away from the non-dairy creamer- yikes!! I had no idea it was flammable. Hope the pandas get back to normal soon.
    Have a great weekend- see you tomorrow morning on CBS!

October 3, 2008 at 5:15 pm |