October 2nd, 2008

How'd they do? The best political team's analysis

Amy Holmes: 10:40p ET – Palin: A+. The plus is for wildly exceeding expectations. She more than held her own. She was polished, direct, folksy, and on message. She stressed her personal experience both as a mom and as a governor, from the kitchen table to the executive branch, her record as a reformer and bipartisan deal maker. She even got Biden to agree with her. Read more...

Roland Martin: Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden. Read more...

Amy Holmes: 9:40p ET – Were those Katie Couric interviews a devious head fake? I've heard Biden say at least twice now that he agrees with Palin. First on the issue of windfall profits, and then on the issue of gay marriage. Regarding the first, he actually said he and Obama would like to do what the Governor did in Alaska. Economic conservatives won't like it. But for debate purposes: advantage Palin.

Candy Crowley: 9:35p ET – Palin veers off course — the question is about helping consumers with crushing debt, and she's responding with energy policy. Politicians frequently change the subject, but this was a pretty obvious 180.

1. penny

"Sarah Palin is after money. She doesnot care anything about the American people. You can tell there are rough times in Alaska. If John Mccain is elected we will be on the ROAD TO NO WHERE AND on THE TITANIC. Both are disastrous. The American people have to be smarter this time because it is crucial.". The Repub don't have any one else. John Mccain is already senile."

October 3, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  2. Mike, Georgia

It is time that CNN and their bunch of nobody commentators present the news as an independent and not as Democrat or Republican. specially the women that sit and offer their constantly negative opinion about the republican party like Berger and Brown. First they were so strong oposing Hillary and now Palin. I feel that the Obama team is paying them lots of money to make the news lean on the democratic side. it is time to investigate these people. you all make lots of money and really makes no difference who end up in the white house. your job is to open your mouth and say what ever you want and then make it sound "we keep it honest" so it can add validity to your comments.

we the average people who try to work in this country when every company try so hard to take the american job offshore, we want the real news. I thought CNN is that kind of news.

Also about the bail out, to bail out those companies is like they have no responsibility like the people we bought houses and then foreclose. they kept firing american people so they can use the excuse that they need more offshore people and now they want the american people to feel sorry for them.

Global market is not for american company to try to push job offshore but not for everyone else. I should be able to shop for a house loan in any country in the world that offer me the best rate not just within this country. I should be able to buy the best insurance for me and my family can efford from any where in the world. that is Global market.

It is very interesting how politician and American company defined Global market.

October 3, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  3. Daron McClain

I thought this was an unbiased news station? I know people are entitled to their opinions but not as a suppoesed unbiased analyst. Roland Martin has not given credit to anything but his very biased opinion. I really enjoy David Bergens' analysis because he IS very Unbiased. Shut Roland Martin up!!!

October 3, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  4. Carl

My father used to say "never underestimate the stupidy of the american people when it comes to politics." Man, are those of you that are happy with Gov. What's her Name proving that statement prophetic. Come on, she is clearly not cut out to run anything, much less a troubled country. Trying to blame their own failures on the most recent Democratic congress is nothing new. Heck, they even try to say that many of today's problems extend back to the Clinton administration. Let's get real. The republicans have proven over and over and over that their platforms do not work. They have repeatedly failed and try to cover that failure with cutesy word smithing and attempts to mislead americans. If you make less than $500,000/year, you should have your head examined for even thinking of voting these elitists back into office. Heaven help us all of if they win again.

October 3, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  5. NC

Palin did better than expected until she used the work "Maverick" for the 6th or 7th time. Does she know any other adjectives?

October 3, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  6. Rose

Joe Biden gave me hope and perspective. Sarah Palin is a joke and an insult to intelligent Americans. What person interviews for a job (which essentially is what she is doing) and has no clue what the job is?

October 3, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  7. Larry L.

IF Obama get's elected,you will have considerably less CHANGE, for your family,out of every dollar you make.You already work over 2 days a week to pay the government,you're WANTING to work more for Obama??

October 3, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  8. Patriot against the Patriot Act

Did anyone else cringe when Palin used the word "nuculer"? I thought her father was a teacher? I can think of only one person when I hear that word, G Dubya! His use of that word has always bothered me because it signifies his stubborness to change even if he is wrong! Are we looking at the female version of Bush?

October 3, 2008 at 1:07 pm |
  9. Mike Collins

Was it just me .... or did anyone else notice that Palin use the words "I" and "Me" a lot more than she should have ? There were more than a few times when she should have been using the plurals "We" and "Us" when talking about the republican party and the McCain/Palin ticket. Almost like she was distancing herself from both at times.

The second thing I noticed was that in the K.C. interview, she made everyone aware that Alaska was not a foreign country. But last night she seemed to be separating Alaska out and pointing out that, in a sense, it was .... because she did things differently there.

Finally, she rambled too much and couldn't stay focused. Some say she was putting herself back into her 'comfort zone'. The people want clear and concise answers ... not meanadering responses that have nothing to do with the original question or subject.

I would have to give her a C- at best.

October 3, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  10. Raul Ortega From Puerto Rico

To keep it short and sweet Palin look a puppet with no strings she keep devirtting answers. Personally I never got her point of you she ! And yes I'm one of 6 pack Joe's which thought was afensive.......

October 3, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  11. Phyllis Copley

Because my family's health insurance was through my job, that I no longer have, we no longer have health insurance. Cobra would have been $1,200 per month, only the wealthy can afford that per month and because my husband is a 6 year survivor of melanoma and I am a diabetic no one would even offer us coverage with the exception of BCBS. Guess how much coverage we could buy with McCain's $5,000?? One and one half month. Their coverage would cost us $3,400 per MONTH. My story is just one of hundreds of thousands of people who have pre-existing conditions and can't afford coverage. McCain doesn't have a clue!

October 3, 2008 at 12:10 am |
  12. echo joiz

Palin may not be a washington insider but boy is she ever a typical politician...!! didn't answer questions ..just used a repeat of the question and a few quick yes or no and then went into her memorized talking points... she didn't chant her mini speech points in robotic style but it was still obviious..they were coached..and memorized ... she may be able to recite and memorize but that doesn't mean she understands.. in a terror attic or crisis there is no time for coaching. ! ( i.e. 911 and how chaney made decisions ! )
    Biden spoke from knowledge, and understanding of what he was saying.. it was obvious also..

palin .... Vibrant fresh and new and good at cramming... doesn"t make presidential potential ! .
    If there had been follow up questions to her... or if she had gone first... she wouldn't even have known which mini speech to use . biden answered every question and that gave her , her lead in....
    sorry sarah... we need a graduate... not a freshman... this is a country ! in a big world at stake..

October 3, 2008 at 12:09 am |
  13. john dayton

Let's just examine Palin's answers – no prejudice, just examine her answers – would someone please do this – Just edit – just present her remarks – this scares me – I am VERY scared. Now – imagine her face to face with, well let's say ANY foreign dictator – they would llaaaauugh in her face, and then push the button to detonate the, as she miss-pronounces it NEW-CUE-LAR bomb. Yes, I am scared, very scared.

October 3, 2008 at 12:09 am |
  14. nancy focht

Joe Biden conveyed the urgency of the greatest presidential issue at hand, survival of all America first...without our existence, the rest of the globe shall surely languish...Barack Obama, with or without extended experience, displays a unique ability to connect with middle America and address our outcry for leadership of the backbone of the country....Biden displayed inherent knowledge of all of American's concern...foreign foes and their activities will forever remain a high level of monitoring....but perhaps a new civil and direct approach has been sorely missed in what we call "foreign policy"...if both parties embrace change...what the hell is wrong with ringing up the Hatfields to meet the McCoys?

October 3, 2008 at 12:09 am |
  15. Isaac

I agree with Allison, we need to focus on the issues and clearly Palin is not fully aware of the issues or her position on the issues. Listen, this is not a popularity contest. Our country is at stake. Open your eyes people. Put race and politics aside. We can't afford to gamble with our future or our family's future any more. Listen, I would love to see a woman in the White House too, but this is not the woman. Barack and Biden have been consistent and actually have a well thought out plan. Mccain and Palin have been eratic, unclear, and evasive. The first thing you learn when running a business is you have to have a plan. America is the biggest business you could possible run. No plan, no way. Erratic in a time of crisis, I think not. Even Mccain doesn't believe what he is feeding us. Otherwise, he wouldn't be wavering back and forth on everything. And another thing, how can you say that you can cross party lines, when you can't even look someone in the face that you disagree with. He did not have enough respect for Obama during the debate to even look at him. This is definitely not someone who can negotiate with foreign leaders and precipitate bipartisanship.

October 3, 2008 at 12:09 am |
  16. michelle

Did anyone think she was anywhere near hillary clinton , ? Come on you can not vote because she is a woman, Hillary would eat her up and spit her out. They could'nt find a stronger woman than this?

October 3, 2008 at 12:08 am |
  17. Mary

I am so happy to read these blogs. I had to find out if someone had the same feelings about the debate as I did. When I head the New York Times columnist say that Palin "killed," I couldn't believe it. I thought there was no comparison between Joe Biden's knowledge of foreign affairs and governmental issues and Sarah Palin's taking points. I will admit that she did much better than I expected after the recent gaffs she has made, but that just proves that most of what she said were simply talking points. How do you go from making the huge mistakes she made recently to tonight’s performance without dodging questions and just using rehearsed lines? Joe Biden was very diplomatic. He was put in a very awkward situation. He really couldn’t go after her because he would have been criticized for it because she was a woman. All I could think of when I was listening was is she going to wink, wrinkle up her nose, say “you there”, and “dang” when speaking to foreign leaders and dignitaries. I would like to see a woman in the White House some day, but not Sara Palin. I think one of the biggest mistakes John McCain made was choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate. There was no comparison between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin in my eyes. You cannot say she “killed” simply because she didn’t make a fool of herself. If you look at how each of them answered the questions, Joe Biden simply outshined Sarah Palin.

October 3, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  18. Gina

I like Palin. She is NOT Washington as usual. Her administrative record in Alaska speaks for her leadership ability. Obama and Biden ARE Washington's usual. (As could be said for McCain.) I see Palin as the only true option for change in America. Her anti-federalist political policy, and genuine concern for family values, along with her proven record, are what she should be judged by. She has a definite disadvantage, entering this race so late in the game. It's a shame we can't grade her on a curve.

October 3, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  19. EJ (USA)

Tell David Gergen that I (and many others) don't think this bailout will pass the House – and we're not sure if it should pass. I was on board the 1st chance they had to pass it but I don't understand how this is a better bill now.

I would support a very large economic stimulus payment like many people have referenced here on the blogs.

October 3, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  20. Torrance

Well we have to have someone that has been in Washington for that experience. Obama and Biden are the Good part of Washington we need to run this country. The Fact is an outsider will not be able to clean this mess up.

October 3, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  21. Tolu

Gov Palin seemed to avoid answering a lot of the questions in the early parts of the debate. She definitely performed better than expected if you were not paying attention to her constant "return to the energy issue", what is up with the winking and weird accent. She also thinks the VP needs more constitutional authority WHAT!!!, preside more over the senate. Must be Dick's daughter.
    Joe 'biden on the other hand upheld the top of his ticket rather well.

October 3, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  22. Bill Dillon

It is amazing to me that you guys think for us and tell us what we heard when it is not. The whole bunch needs to be thrown out. So what if you don't know what unique decisions the supreme court has made or if you have set down with foreign leaders...she could hardly do worse than the 3 Senators and their cohearts have done..don't u get it...we are all fed up..you want to tell what a low rating Bush has..and it is an embarassment to me, however the congress has a lower RATING....WHAT DOES THAT SEY...THEY ALL SUCK. VOTE AGAINST THE WELFARE BAILOUT...THE country will be alright

October 3, 2008 at 12:05 am |
  23. Shelly

This debate was a joke just like the Presidential debate. John McCain seemed old and outdated. Sarah Palin was definitely prepped to death. Whe she couldn't answer a question she went back to old answers she had already given. Her answers were scripted and it was sooooo obvious. McCain is 72. God forbid she has to take over for him, this country would be in trouble big time. She would have to rely solely on her advisers. John Mccain picked her because he thought he would get the female vote. he insulted us, women are not stupid. Picking her was an insult to all women.

October 3, 2008 at 12:05 am |
  24. Kim H.-Rockford, IL

I am an Obama-Biden supporter. I believe that Sarah Palin went out at did exactly what she had to do and that was to live up to "low expectations". She did not support her position substantally but she did put on a happy face. Biden was extremely contained. You could almost see him busting at the seams for what he really wanted to say in the manner he really wanted to respond or expound. What struck me as odd is that throughout this entire campaign season I have not seen a moderator so constrained as was Gwen Ifill. It was almost as she had been put on center stage as well and was unable to conduct this debate in a manner which would have caused her to call Sarah Palin out on inadequacies in answers and her flat-out refusal to answer certain questions. I am outraged that those who lean Democratic are put under such scrutiny as to watch their P's and Q's and not hold those accountable who would be literally just a heart beat from the presidency. Gwen had been put under the microscope as if she were a candidate and unable to hold Palin to debate standards for she would have been seen by the right as being biased.

October 3, 2008 at 12:05 am |
  25. Papasan

You have my vote Joe!

October 3, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  26. Susan Bourne

Sarah did just fine, she is great with energy and if she had campaigned as long as the other three candidates, she would be out doing them all! The news media like to ignore that fact! Biden of course knows more about the olden times in the Senate! Considering it all, she won!! She is down to earth, we need more of that.

A fifties gal!!

October 3, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  27. mara duvall

Please just give me the facts. I am sick to death of your opions. What ever happen to the media just stating the facts ma. I am not stupid, most voters or not stupid. However, most voters rely on the sound bite to make their voting decision. So in fact most voters vote based on faulty information, simply because the media no longer does their job of reporting the facts. This is not a simple time with simple problems, yet the media does not understand that this is a very real problem time but continue to report, just the opions ma not the facts. Can we get rid of the best political team on tv and get the best informed team on tv. This is serious you people.

October 3, 2008 at 12:04 am |