September 30th, 2008

Vice President Sarah six-pack

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/30/art.palin.ohio.ap.jpg]Editor's note: The following is from report that the McCain campaign sent to reporters today:

This afternoon, Governor Palin took a break from debate prep to pre-tape an interview with Hugh Hewitt, which ran just earlier this hour. Transcript is below. Thanks.

Hugh Hewitt: Governor, your candidacy has ignited extreme hostility, even some hatred on the left and in some parts of the media. Are you surprised? And what do you attribute this reaction to?

Sarah Palin: Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it....

Filed under: John McCain • Raw Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. athena

I applaud Gov. Palin for her achievements in the great state of Alaska. She appears to be a very likeable and certainly, charismatic speaker. She has a lovely family and has certainly faced and will continue to face many challenges as a working mother. However, I feel very sorry for her because John McCain's decision to have her as hisrunning mate has been reckless. She and her family will be paying the price of McCain's decision for years to come and I don't think anyone has ever stopped to consider the long-term damage this will cause to her children. Being a normal, Joe six-pack American is not what I want for my vice-president. I am looking for someone that is more than just normal....not my next door neighbor. Look at the global mess that we're in....how can anyone believe that Gov. Palin has the knowledge to even be able to grasp the complexities of this global economy or global terrorism? Although I was considering voting for John McCain, he lost my vote when he chose Gov. Palin. The fact that he would risk the future of our country to someone of such limited exposure, shows me that he did not put "Country First".

October 1, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  2. Kathy

I like Sarah Palin. I think she has a lot to learn, but I think she is very capable of getting up to speed. I think the selection of Sarah Palin as VP is a good one. At her station in life, she faces many of the same issues that all of us face, i.e. quality education for her children, excellent, affordable health care for her family, a safe environment, a free society and on and on. She also has to consider college tuition for her children. She is at an age where she may have to face her own aging parents' health/welfare. These are issues we all face or will face whether we are rich or poor, white or black, live up north or down south, east or west. I think Sarah is a confident woman who is proud of her accomplishments so far, but she does not appear to me to be an egotistical, arrogant, know-it-all like we all see all too much with the rest of the politicians. I give her the benefit of the doubt that she will stay grounded and push herself to be the best she can be for her own family, as well as for her American family. I believe that Sarah will be the "woman behind the successful man." McCain is an American hero, to be sure, and he was wise to choose Sarah.

I honestly think that the Obama/Biden ticket is untrustworthy...just the same old same old arrogant fat cats trying to stay on their high horses....to the detriment of the Joe "six packs" and Mary "chardonnays" of the country. Don't do it, America. Only the champagne-sipping crowd will prosper.

October 1, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  3. Erin McLeod

If McBush and Palin are elected, I am moving to Canada.

October 1, 2008 at 1:08 pm |
  4. Dean

What is wrong with wanting the leader of your country (or his/her VP) to be the smartest person in the room. We don't need another "Joe Six Pack" (Bush is a guy we can sit down and have a beer with) making critical decisions. My buddies are "Joe Six Pack". Our leaders hopefully are more informed than they are in world events and what it takes to actually be a DIPLOMAT.

October 1, 2008 at 10:47 am |
  5. whitney

Well I do believe that if you had tuned in to CNN the week after the RNC, they had a two night special "Who is Joe Biden" AND "Who is Sarah Palin." They were both discussed at length about their lives, where they came from, Who their parents were, college, adulthood and how they both came to be in the positions they both "represent' at this point in their lives . You said you really don't follow politics, I can tell. Probably just like Palin can't name a newspaper off of the top of her head when asked by Katy Couric how she follows the news in her home town. Palin really has a way of making women in this age look like we still need to be in the kitchen baking cookies. What would one say if she had to debate against Hilary Clinton? We all know Clinton could hold her own. So ask yourself, why does Palin have to be sheltered and kept under lock and key when it comes to interviewing with the press? No one is being hard on her. She is being treated no differently than any other person in her position at this point. If she can't stand the heat......

October 1, 2008 at 10:32 am |
  6. Debra

It all comes down to the survival of America. Even an idiot would not hire someone to build you a house without a blue print. McBush and Palin do not have a blue print to fix our economic or healthcare issues. I work in healthcare and watch people daily who find out they have a serious or fatal illness because they could afford to have preventive testing since they dont have insurance. Put a few REAL healthcare workers on a committee and I bet something would get done for healthcare....

October 1, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  7. cathleen

It's interesting that whenever McCain or Palin get quoted in the press or media, the next day or two sees a bunch of accusations from their campaigns and supporters about "liberal media" or "gotcha media"...as if the media were to blame for the ignorance of McCain/Palin words. Palin may be fine in a state of 700,000 people, she's a disaster and an embarrassment on the world stage. We've had average, Joe six-pack in the oval office for the last 8 years - look how well that turned out. I think it's time for some intelligence, educated knowledge of the constitution, and a world view that encompasses more than Siberia and Canada.

October 1, 2008 at 9:38 am |
  8. mj

Biden Will Destroy Palin in the Debate !!! This won't be close.

However, Vice President debate Moderator Gwen Ifill needs to withdrawl as moderator and be replaced ... otherwise after the debate all we will hear about is media bias against Republicans.

October 1, 2008 at 9:35 am |
  9. Gene Penszynski from Vermont

The Karl Rove Apparatchiks are at it again. Everything else is failing so Once again its Let's appeal to the lowest common denominator. Lets just forget about how much this person just doesn't understand about the world in which we live and talk about that mythical common man Joe Six Pack. I have no doubt she will be instructed to use that Joe Six Pack comment somehow somewhere is this debate in the hope that it will inspire some support from the masses.

One can only hope the electorate will look beyond this nonsense and make an INFORMED choice based on the nature of the position that is trying to be filled. Namely Vice President of the United States of American not mayor of Po-Dunk America or chairmwomen of the Backwoods school board. I doubt if any intelligent Real Main Stream Americans want someone just like themselves in this position of power. Knowing how complex and dangerous the world in which we live is we simply need people in charge who are MORE knowledgable about the world in which we live than Joe Six Pack is.

October 1, 2008 at 9:16 am |
  10. Prince, Durham, NC

The next president of the greatest nation on the face of the earth will incur great deal of financial insability passed down by this administration. And Gov. Palin sure isn't the candidate to inherit such huge responsibilities. Wake up America, let's deliver our country from collapse.

October 1, 2008 at 9:07 am |
  11. Indio CA

The issue goes beyond Palin’s inability to comprehend basic economic principles or to speak coherently during an interview. It speaks to the blatant disregard of the principle of “Country First”.
    To the world’s dismay, the “bar” for our leadership standards has been lowered. If Palin maintains a single sentence without fumbling during the debate, “Victory” will be proclaimed.
    We have all seen enough. We simply cannot afford to continue on the same path.

October 1, 2008 at 8:19 am |
  12. Patty

Thank you Janet, Ken, George, Ray T,Chritine and anyone else I missed that sees what is going on with Sarah and the media bashing. It is all in the plan though to get Obama elected and if people would just read – like ACORN and it's total endeavor to get him elected they would see this plan has been in the works for a long time. We must fight this.

October 1, 2008 at 8:10 am |
  13. Emma

The last time I was in the States was 11 years ago (I lived 4 years in your country).
    To me Sarah Palin is a caricature. When I see this woman I wonder whether she is real. She looks like people who are in the audience or who are guests on the morning or early afternoon talk-shows (YES, I have seen some of them! And have always though they were actors!).
    I must admit that I have never met such Americans and wonder what percentage of the population they represent (quite a few from reading the comments!).
    It might take me some more years before I visit the States again

October 1, 2008 at 8:10 am |
  14. Ryan

We already have a ‘Joe six pack’ in the White House right now.
    How the heck did that one work out, America?
    To support McCain/Palin after this month of political insanity you must be on some seriously good drugs.

October 1, 2008 at 8:10 am |
  15. Fred Mednick

Having traveled throughout the world, I love the U.S.A. because there is room to disagree and, as a result, learn from each other. I would think that a VP contender would relish such richness. Alas, Sarah Palin's incoherent answers to clear questions have been downright alarming – demeaning to women and to all Americans. This vacuous, "American-idol" style candidacy is far more than embarrassing or laughable. The packaging and statements of Sarah Palin undermine our very integrity as a nation of ideas. What do I tell my kids? Do I say that compelling points of view don't matter anymore, that they shouldn't be concerned by or confused by facts? Frankly, I'm scared.

October 1, 2008 at 3:14 am |
  16. George

This bail-out is totally unreasonable, we need to let our corrupt system crash and burn all the way to the ground so we can finally have a opportunity to start from scratch and rebuild it. it has gone on for way too long and we need to view this sad situation as a genuine, once in a life time opportunity to rebuild our financial structure.

Depending on credit to live on is so out of hand, there aren't even words to describe it. We can not agree to any bail-out of any kind!!, no mater what our government says or does to try to scare us. Wall Street and the Stock Market hasn't always existed and since it has; its become as crooked as the day is long.

THE GIG IS UP!! LET IT CRASH!!

October 1, 2008 at 3:04 am |
  17. Scott Gilbert

Sarah Palin says that her being able to see Russia from a small island at the edge of Alaska gives her international experience.

I can see Johnson Space Center from my balcony. So, um, I guess that makes me a rocket scientist....

October 1, 2008 at 2:55 am |
  18. Scott

I can name one magazine, one newspaper and one Supreme Court decision.

Can I be VP now?

October 1, 2008 at 2:40 am |
  19. Jaime M. Mesa,AZ

Cnn did an hour I think it was on both Biden and Palun and they were impartial and were good biographies. One reason people do not know Joe Biden is he does his work each day then takes the train home to his family which he started to do when his wife, mother of his first 2 sons died and hid don was in critical conditin literally on the eve before he was to be sworn in as Senator. He was going to resign but was talked out of it. He is hard working and well respected.I can not compare Palin to him. It is as ludicrous as having a candidate for major elected office who can not be interveiwed alone even if the "kindest" newsperson conducts it. I can not even comprehend this week, it feels like I am stuck in a (bad) Woody Allen movie.
    I wish I had the script to know ultimately what will happen, but one thing is maybe for the first time in history the majority of American voters will vote. Wouldn't that be great ? There HAS to be silver lining someplace!

October 1, 2008 at 2:23 am |
  20. Terry (Bethel AK)

Christine, don't talk about something you have no idea off. CNN just showed you what they wanted you to see. What you didn't see was the native there have been there for generations. they can leave if they want to but most don't because it is a way of life for them. Yes, they did get a rebate check and a PFD check. There are traveling doctors and nurse that visit the villages. They have no TV because of no sattelite or cable or TV stations there (they no missing much though. They live off the land and sea with some goods shipped in or helicoptered in. You should have noticed there was a dock there for barges to bring in goods. I know because I live in the bush of Alaska (a village which the only way in is to fly and I love it) and yes Sara Palin has been out here where I met her and that is why I am in support for McCain/Palin ticket.

October 1, 2008 at 2:21 am |
  21. Karen in Wisconsin

I think Palin does represent the average Joe American. I am average Jane American and I know I'm not qualified to be VP and definately not president if the need arose.

I also believe that the bailout bill needed to be passed to save Joe & Jane American from the consequences of ignoring the crisis. Many Joe and Jane Americans called their representatives and said NO to the bailout.

Average Joe & Jane obviously do not understand the full scope of this crisis. Averge Sarah Palin doesn't either.

Follow women voters...if Sarah Palin gets to the Whitehouse, you can bet there will not be a woman in the Whitehouse again for a VERY long time.

God Bless America...and don't forget to say your prayers.

October 1, 2008 at 1:24 am |
  22. Sam from GA

I do feel embarrassed for her. You have to assume that her public speaking stumbles are due to the pressure. How could someone who can't put together a proper sentence become governor? I will reserve judgement until I see her in the debate. Our President has said many stupid things and he was elected for 2 terms. VP Dan Quayle wasn't the most impressive speaker either. Republicans can overlook social inadequacies.

October 1, 2008 at 1:24 am |
  23. Phyllis from Canada

I felt sick to my stomach when watching John MacCain speak disciplinary words to Mrs. Palin in front of the whole world when she was interviewed for the second time by Katie Couric. (regarding her statement at the restaurant made to a voter about Pakistan). I cannot understand how she took that sitting down; I would have felt completely denigrated and would have left the stage at that point.

He has completely lost whatever sense of decency he had by bashing her and then speaking for her when Katie asked her a question. How does she put up with him? He's as sexist as it can get!

October 1, 2008 at 1:23 am |
  24. Michy

Thank you Janet! My sentiments exactly. Come on, CNN, let's see more balanced reports on all of the candidates. Why haven't we heard as much about Biden's ridiculous comment about T.V. in 1929 or Obama's comment about the "57" states in the U.S.? Let's get back to journalism the way it was intended.

October 1, 2008 at 12:33 am |
  25. Janet McLain

Come on people! Palin is making a statement about how those in Washington are VERY far removed from the average person. She is, indeed, an average person. She is articulate and competent... but the media just loves to eat her up. Here's something I want to point out. I don't know a thing about Joe Biden. Really. I watch the dang news for HOURS every single night and I know nothing about Joe Biden. I watch Anderson Cooper regularly... and I have not seen any in-depth reports about the man. How am I to make a decision about which candidate to vote for if I don't know who Joe Biden is? I'm not a long-term Washington insider, nor do I follow politics. So, CNN, are you really doing your job? I suggest, no. Talk about old Joe every single night – pick apart his family, his choices, his mistakes, his life – over and over and over again. I need some of that microscopic reporting that you say is fair... pointed to Joe Biden. You've beaten the horse to death about Sarah. Why don't you move on to a candidate who hasn't been scrutinized to death?

September 30, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  26. Lily

It is almost painful watching her go through this...almost.

September 30, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  27. Christine

I just saw the piece on Alaska's border with Russia. I think Sarah Palin should be ashamed of herself to leave these people in complete poverty. Are they getting a rebate from Sarah, I think they could use it. No TV no dental, medical this is shameful!!

September 30, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  28. ken

Sarah Palin is the first breath of fresh air that has blown across this country in a long time. I would trust her and her judgment far more than any from that of Senator Biden or Senator Obama. It is embarassing that this country has reduced itself to a bunch of middle school children forcing slander on a nightly basis in order to try and persuade the American people to agree with the slander. I can't wait until McCain and Palin are in office. We will all breathe a sigh of relief. The Couric interview with Governor Palin was a no win situation. For example. If she mentioned one source of information that she reads, then it would have been more fodder. That news agency would probably have to shut it's doors. The criticism toward it would begin. Simply because she mentioned it. I don't blame her for being any more specific in her interviews than she has. Looks like wisdom beyond many of the viewers years. These interviews and interview attempts are nothing more than let's see who can "get her". It is shameless and I wish this country was more mature than this. Ask Joe Biden, or Barack Obama some of the same questions. Give them the same "rake over the coals." Put all of Joe Biden's gaffs on your programming and call it news. Do it on a nightly basis. The problem here is not a problem with Sarah Palin's qualifications, but with the media's lack of integrity. Where is the honesty? Where is the lack of bias reporting? I am ashamed of the media of my country. Pretending to protect and be the "moral" voice. It's not your job. Get over it.

September 30, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  29. mary

I agree with Fraheel Zakari that Sarah Palin does not understand the questions and the role that she is running for. This is not for the mayor of a town of 7000 people. It is even more startling that she does not
    understand how underqualified she is.

The world and the US is a complicated and interconnected place. Simplistic and incoherent answers to complex issues will make the US a laughing stock.

Mary

September 30, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  30. Rajini Hinduja

Interesting choice of words Sarah. Joe "six pack" is coming...his name is Joe Biden. And that bit about having foreign policy experience because Alaska is near Russia, even if that were a valid example, turned out to be total malarkey. You haven't been to that part of Alaska..... even more telling is that many of the 150 folks in that part of your state don't even know who you are!

September 30, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  31. jamie

Good for Palin. She's absolutely right . The rest of you think you are so much smarter than the rest of America. I for one would love to see a real American in the White House and not just an elitist 'Professor' Obama. He reminds me of so many know-it-all professors in college who have never lived life in the real world. In response to A.D. , I am an educated, hard working, struggling mother and I completely identify with Palin fighting the 'good ole boys'! Biden is the fattest of the fat cats!

September 30, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  32. RayT

What is with the butcher job the media is doing on Palin? I don't support her but I saw the same kind of thing happen to Clinton. Hilary was demonized, showed to be a poor loser, it was surreal and now the same kind of attacks on Palin.

Sure they messed up that interview. Actually to be honest, it is so bad – its hard to watch but what about Biden? What about Obama not realizing Russia had veto power in the UN?

Palin has to prove herself – no doubt but this kind of attack everyone is doing on her is one of the grossest despicable things I have ever seen in the media.

September 30, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  33. George

Personally I find Gov Palin refreshing. Finally ther is someone that expresses a common sense position, rather than being concerned with being politacally correct. A novel concept. I would certainly trust her more when negotiating foreign policy than most of the other candidates.

September 30, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  34. Ramiro ( New York )

How can Republicans honestly think that Palin is ready to be VP? I know McCain was desparate to win some additional votes but can his desperation be so great, that he is willing to have someone under his wing that has no idea what she is talking about?

Im going to be so pissed off because I know the GOP will spin her debate into victory no matter what dumb comments she makes.

How desperate are they to win the presidency? Is it desperate enough to keep our country snowballing for another 4 years?

September 30, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  35. Terri

The more Sara Palin talks, the worse it gets. I can't wait for the debate on Thursday to see how she really is, off the cuff and live without McCain to sit beside her.

September 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  36. david

You all need to realize that Palin tanked the Couric interview on purpose. After the convention, expectations for here were way too high. Then after her first interview with Gibson, it was clear that she was OK on her feet but not great. It was clear she was capable, but she is not the superstar that people want her to be. So they had to lower the expectations, and it has worked. Now all the chatter on the news is that Palin is not ready and will not be able to hang. Now when she does just OK in the debate, they can spin it as a victory because everyone expects her to choke. The thing that tipped me off is that this week the republicans have split ranks on her nomination. Some not so prominent republicans have turned against her. This never happens! One thing republicans don’t do, is turn against each other. They have to appear as a monolith and will not break ranks, unless it is divisive. So she looks like an idiot in an interview, has some of her own come out against her, the media is down on her, the democrats foaming at the mouth, then BAMM! She does not get run over in the debates and everyone raves about what a good job she did, the republicans who doubted her take it back and say she is the best thing ever, 10 point jump for McCain.

September 30, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Christine

I'd rather have Sarah Palin as VP than Obama as president. At least she knows how to govern. He never did anything in government. Please do not say "senator" he started his run as soon as he got to Washington. Sarah is much more middle America than anyone of the boys running.

September 30, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Matt

I really am not so sure that Sarah Palin "gets it." She thinks that some people don't like her because she's a "commoner," but that simply isn't true. Americans voted Andrew Jackson under the slogan of "the common man" so I don't think that being the common "Joe six pack American" is anything new. What people do have a problem with is voting to have a woman that close to the presidency who doesn't understand the history of regions that she might be able to invade one day. If we wanted someone like that, we'd try to amend the Constitution again to allow Bush to run for a third term. McCain is at least intelligent. Palin doesn't even understand the economics of America, much less know how to solve the problems. She simply doesn't get it.

September 30, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Daniel Osias - Lawrenceville, GA

Am I the only person who seems to notice that Mccain simply picked Palin as a political strategy to take advantage of the so called Obama Clinton tension after the DNC. Mccain genius advisers thought if they randomly pick a woman they could bank off the woman who were a little bitter that Obama won the nomination. If you notice in Palin's first speech after being announced as the VP choice she thanked Hilary for the "18 million cracks" line and tried to steal some woman votes. Obviously this is the case cause Palin can't stop stumbling over her own tongue and is being protected and shielded away from the "gotcha" media. She is not ready to be the VP let alone the President if Mccain doesn't make it. She needs to go back to Alaska and keep an eye on Putin thats the best way she can serve her country.

September 30, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Beverly Walkup

God help all if this person gets in office. What are the people of the republican party thinking??? WE will all be in deep trouble if this person gets in office. I believe she has had one too many six-packs.

September 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Betty/ Iowa

Everyday, I learn more and more negative things about Ms. Palin.
    McCain does not put country first as he says. Having this woman on the Republican ticket is a slap in the face. I sometimes wonder what his real motive is, in having her run on the ticket. With such poor judgement, what more can he do to the country.

September 30, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Jan

Gov. Palin offends women with her folksy-cutsie responses. She has set women back at least 50 years. I find myself being embarrassed for her.

September 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Sandi from Ada, Michigan

OK...I'm a mom, and I like beer too. But...

This week, we can all admit...that's just not the point....that's just not enough.

After the week we had...Aren’t we are beyond this?

There is too much at stake to take this election to that level. If it were a popularity contest, Sarah Palin would be very qualified. But it’s not. The country, and the world, are looking for much more than "Joe six-pack".

We have much higher expectations for a VP than John McCain.

September 30, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  44. John

I wish I was speechless. As I listen to McBush say that we need confidence in our leadership, I reread Palin's comments, and I am tired of laughing and crying over stupid politician's comments.

It is so absolutely pathetic that McCain chose this person to go on the ticket with him. It was such a ploy to get the female vote, big joke. McCain can do nothing but spew rhetoric. Palin, can do nothing but put her foot in her mouth, sad. She or McCain will not instill confidence in Americans at a time when we need it so critically.

September 30, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  45. larry

Was hoping this blog would be on Joe 'xerox' Biden. Is there still an amber alert out on him? I understand he, like his boss, prefer lecterns at debates so that they can have their teleprompters be less conspicuous.
    Should be interesting thursday when there are no lecterns.

September 30, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Maureen / Newman, California

Normal Joe Six Pack American"? There is nothing normal about this person. She does not reflect views of mainstream America. Maybe she would have better luck running in Iran. They are big on appointing religious fanatics as their leaders. And look what that has done for them.

September 30, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Ron , West Coast

Joe six-pack is alright with me , I just hope he reads newspapers , and knows at least one supreme court decision , other than Roe v Wade . Maybe one or two more such as , Bush v Gore .... Brown v Board of Education , etc , etc , etc .....
    Somebody needs to wake Ms. Palin up ...... My god she`s running for the second highest office in the land !!
    This goes to show the lack of good judgement on the part of John McBush , and the republicrook party.......

September 30, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  48. Kami

I wouldn't mind sharing a six-pack with Joe six-pack. I sure as hell would not put him/her in charge of my home/car/bussiness let alone my country!

September 30, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  49. A.D.

To suggest that Gov. Palin represents common people is ludicrous. Not all of us see Russia from our house, not all of us supported a bridge to nowhere, not all of us actually completed a road to nowhere, and most of us don't use our office to promote people we like and fire those we don't. And worse, not all of us have the Presidential nomineed sitting at our right-hand ready to defend what incoherent dribble that is sprouted.
    As a educated, hard working, struggling to make both ends meet woman and mom I am offended by Gov. Palin's constant comparison to common folks like me !!!!!

September 30, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  50. Bret Peters

Wow ! Time to take your foot out of your mouth Palin. I believe you are in a noble attempt to lower the worlds view of Americans, and by the look of it your halfway there. I feel sorry for you. I don't think you had any idea what the VP position entailed. Good luck !

September 30, 2008 at 10:00 pm |