September 30th, 2008

Vice President Sarah six-pack

Editor's note: The following is from report that the McCain campaign sent to reporters today:

This afternoon, Governor Palin took a break from debate prep to pre-tape an interview with Hugh Hewitt, which ran just earlier this hour. Transcript is below. Thanks.

Hugh Hewitt: Governor, your candidacy has ignited extreme hostility, even some hatred on the left and in some parts of the media. Are you surprised? And what do you attribute this reaction to?

Sarah Palin: Oh, I think they’re just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that normal Joe six-pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency, and I think that that’s kind of taken some people off guard, and they’re out of sorts, and they’re ticked off about it....

Filed under: John McCain • Raw Politics • Sarah Palin
  1. Rose

When I was a young girl, my father always said Republicans are "white collar" and Democrats are "blue collar". I always thought that was true. The more educated, highly degreed executives were the Republicans. What happened? How on earth can they approve of Palin if in fact they are highly educated? Am I missing something? Do people realize this blunt speaking, supposedly touching the middle class American, could actually be the president? Electing a 72 year old candidate is stupid enough but look folks, it's true. This woman could actually be president. I personally am offended being called Mrs. Joe Six Pack. Some Republicans say she is a quick learner, geez just how stupid was she before?

October 8, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  2. Sam

I find Mrs. Palin to be rather annoying too, and I find her cute little phrases to be empty and trite. I really don't understand the "joe six-pack" one at all. Does she think all average Americans are sitting around on their couches scratching and belching having a few beers and finding what she says to be credible? I also think it odd that she would use such phrases when she claims to be so religious and right wing. I think she must do an OK job in Alaska, and am happy for her that Alaska will still be there when the election is over. Does anyone else think she wants to be Eva Peron?

October 4, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  3. Vivian

I, too, am tired of Joe six-pack in the White House, and the thought of another down-to-earth good-ol' boy/girl sitting in line for the presidency, just makes me cringe. If McCain wanted to select a woman running mate, there are any number of smart, intelligent, hard-driving Republican women out there. Why did he pick a doodlebug?

October 2, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  4. Melissa, Oregon

some people should learn to spell......

October 1, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  5. Megan

Oh please, the only reason that Palin did not answer that dumb ass question on what books she reads is because no matter what she said the far left........hell the kind of left, would find something wrong with it. Furthermore, if you think that a governor is not ready to be VICE-PRESADENT how in the world can you think that a man with less experience then that can be ready to be PRESADENT.
    And lastly, all I keep hearing is that Palin is a heartbeat a way from the presidency, here is a scarier idea, NO MATTER WHO WINS THE ELECTION NANCY PELOSI IS ONLY TWO HARTBEATS AWAY.

The things that make you go…….. HOLEY CRAP!!!!!!

October 1, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  6. roz

Let's be honest Governor Palin is not ready for the position; it's not stumbling around a question even the most confident candidate can misspeak or take a moment to get his/her point across. The depth of Governor Palin experiences’ comes from living in a bubble (Alaska) – you are a vice presidential candidate and you can not list the names of any books, articles or reading materials that has help shape your views about the issues concerning the American people. The only trick journalism going on here is Sara Palin interviews well for Fox news and conservative radio.

October 1, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  7. Lesley

Well now Palin is only agreeing to talk to moderators who agree with her views so that should make everyone on this blog who support her very happy. Except it's a little like her firing everyone on her mayoral and governor's staffs who didn't support her views and replacing them with more shall we say agreeable types. The problem I have with all this is that she is trying to completely control her environment on the national stage the way she did it in Alaska. The authoritarian system of government that is characterized by the crushing of opposition is fascism.

October 1, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  8. Gloria

Sarah Palin continues her "crash course" in Arizona, so there is the very slight chance that she may hold her own during the debate– but I have my strong doubts. And even if she does hold her own, it can only be attributable to how much new knowledge she is capable of storing in her brain. Without this crash course, I am sure her performance would be a disaster! But from what I have witnessed of her lately, surely at some point in the debate, her true colors will shine through. She may well be capable of handling herself in Alaska, but she is surely not qualified to be Vice President of the United States!

October 1, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  9. MaryAnn

We do not need the average Joe Six-Pack American as our leaders. We need the best of the best to represent us. Joe Six-Pack is fun to hang out with and shoot the bull with but we expect more from our leaders. He or she doesn't have to have an ivy-league education...but intelligence is a must in order for them to deal with complex issues etc.

We expect the best of our leaders because they are our representatives and it is a positive re-enforcement to the world.

October 1, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  10. Doug

Ok, enough already, Palin needs to bow out now or she will prevent me and countless others who want to vote republician from doing so, are we sure the dems didn't manipulate McCain into picking her?????????
    Hmmmmmmmmmm

October 1, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  11. Melisa

Will someone please put us out of our misery by NOT voting for Sarah Palin? The world already has a view of the US that is worsening by the day, as their banks collapse along with the US economy. It is time to have intelligent policy and personable leaders who actually work for the people and have some clue about what is going on in their country and the greater world beyond our soil.

Palin talks about Barack Obama being all for himself, but I think the most selfish aspect of this entire process was her acceptance of the nomination.

I am an educated, middle-class mother of four daughters, struggling to juggle it all. This woman does not represent my values nor the vision I have for my daughter's future.

October 1, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  12. Sue, Billerica, MA

And... I am surprised the McCain/Palin ticket is not underacheivers unite, for she is bragging about being Joe 6 pack rather than an educated woman and I have heard McCain brag and joke about graduating at the bottom of his class at the Naval Academy and Palin took 6 years and 5 schools to get some fluff 2 year journalism degree at podunk colleges.. and they are going to understand the intricacies of economic issues and international affairs and have the mental stamina to read all the reports and articles that will flood their office... I don't think so.. but Obama will! And as for McCain he sounds like an idiot when he brags that Palin is the world foremost energy expert as governor of Alaska... I am surprised the real energy experts haven't protested that ridiculous statment... for a year and a half as governor having gone to a few meetings on oil drilling in Alaska makes her barely superficially knowlegeable about the politics of drilling oil and not by any means any kind of energy expert.. it is preposterous that they are both running for we saw what a C student who bragged about not reading newspapers got this country in the last 8 years, and it sounds like delusions of grandeur or grandiosity to think you are an expert on things based on hours of superficial exposure... insane!

October 1, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  13. Dawn

Saturday Night Live does an excellent portrayal of Palin. Palin's an embarassing joke. There's nothing impressive about her, and she like McCain, definately, don't qualify to hold the two most powerful possitions in the United States. We already have an embarrasing
    illiterate clown, in office now. Why would anyone, even consider voting
    these two lesser educated people, to lead America?

October 1, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  14. Adraine

I find it so hard to believe that there are still some people in the U.S. that think that it would be ok for Palin to be VP when she is1)not articulate,my 2-year old is putting better sentences together,2)Knows anything about the world outside of Alaska,I knew what the surge was about and I live in Alabama and 3)was nominated as a woman to get the Clinton votes,which was truely a slap inthe face to women universally!Note to McBush: It was Hillary's policies not her pantsuits that we love.Please forget color or political affiliations and vote with who you know will bring America back from the brink.Don't let every country in the world hate us forever and potential kill us all.Vote Obama/Biden08.

October 1, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  15. larry

With regards to Joe 'xerox' Biden, why no reports on his link to credit card supercompany MBNA?

October 1, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  16. Evelyn

Christine, I agree 100% that the indigenous people featured in the Alaska/Russia border newscast need help from their "concerned" governor Palin – and I don't think sending them a six-pack will suffice. As usual, the indigenous people of the Americas are the "last" not the "first" peoples of their home continents. I was also appalled that they just throw plastic bags full of trash into the ocean. Plastic breaks down into millions of microscopic pieces which are then ingested by tiny sea life entering the food chain and their (& our) diets, not to mention what types of toxic trash those bags could contain. I would even think that burning would be preferable to this type of garbage disposal. As a Canadian, and former citizen of the USA, all I have left to say is "GO OBAMA AND BIDEN!!"

October 1, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  17. larry

CNN aka Chicago News Network will never diss Biden or Obama. They won't cover Obama's lock-step with ACORN.
    Naturally, Thursday's veep debate is being moderated by an open Obama supporter who has written a book praising him PBS' Gwen Ifill.

John McCain expects her to be fair, geez John grow a pair or borrow them from HRC.

October 1, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  18. Kathy

p.s. Glenn Beck, please run for something.

October 1, 2008 at 3:18 pm |