September 30th, 2008

Sorry, your Congressman is unavailable at this time

Editor's note: Have you tried to email your Congressman recently?  Here's a note we received that explains why it's been difficult to get information from House.gov websites this week:

The Chief Administrative Officer of the House

Availability of House.gov Websites

In order to ensure that constituents can access and view the House.gov website and all websites within the domain, including those of all Members and Committees, House computer engineers have had to implement limits on the unprecedented amount of emails flowing into the system via the Write Your Representative and formproc applications at this time.

During hours of peak demand, some constituents attempting to use the system may receive a message asking them to try back at a later time, when demand is not so extreme. This measure has become temporarily necessary to ensure that Congressional websites are not completely disabled by the millions of emails flowing into the system. Engineers are working diligently to accommodate this enormous traffic flow and we appreciate your patience in this matter.

Here's what we saw when we tried House.gov just after the bailout bill failed to pass:

Filed under: Bailout Turmoil • Raw Politics
  1. Jason

House.gov messaging service has been down all day. I suspect they are in no hurry to get it back up. If Congress can't even handle email, how on Earth can they be trusted to handle fixing the economic mess that they helped create?

September 30, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  2. sue

I've had enough gouging from the banking system. They have made very bad decisions on who they gave credit cards and loans to for years and we have always paid for their mistakes by higher interest rates and late fees tacked on to those who are responsible with their credit. I'm fed up with bailing them out. I say let them bail themselves out now!!!!!

September 30, 2008 at 8:57 pm |
  3. Deb Bonanno

I just want to say If this wasn't an election year we wouldn't be in all theese conversations. I wish Anderson you would say it out loud. Why should the democrats take the his with all the votes, they need to split up the votes so we all are in the game. The election should run its course out and the best man win.
    I am an Obama suppporter and It was unfair of the republicans to not give us 12 more votes ant tie it our people stepped up. Why should we loose an election because of the namby pambys in the house. I will find out all the democrats in my state of Oregon and they will not get my re election vote.
    Pray for the end of this
    The republicans should be ashamed of the money they cost us yesterday. You can't say it is wall street it hit our stock.

September 30, 2008 at 8:42 pm |
  4. jes from Ontario

For once the government listened to voice of the people & voted accordingly. Enjoy it while it lasts because where they are back in session after the break & vote again the USA taxpayers will be singing the blues.

September 30, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  5. Melissa, Los Angeles

I'm glad the bailout did not pass. This was such a huge rush to put it together in the first place. I wonder what were the exact details of it other than the government wanting taxpayers to pay $700 billion. What are the consequences for those involved i.e. banks/lenders and those that defaulted on their loans? Until there is a true consequence for their actions, I won't go along with a bailout. What's to stop people – government on down to main street – from defaulting on future loans if there are no true consequences?

September 30, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  6. k_michael

Is this supposed to be surprising?

September 30, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  7. Mike

If there ever was a case in point for term limitattions it's been the behavior of our 'long-serving' officials in Congress over the past few weeks (98% have been re-elected). The good news is that many are up for re-election in November – and perhaps then we can vote for those who'll put America and not party first.

September 30, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  8. Max in Phoenix, AZ

Everyone has an opinion on this issue (mine being that we shouldn't do it), so it makes sense that it would be overwhelmed by people sending in messages and commentary.

September 30, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  9. Jeremy

Anderson,
    Like so many people, I'm unable to write my congressman due to "Server" problems.
    It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out this is an intentional action to curb the majority of the people until after the bill gets revised.
    This is an outrage.

September 30, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  10. kamal mohammed

let those that gained from the crisis they caused bring their monies back from the Caymans, TAX FREE if they buy the bad paper, hold the assets for 3 years and tax the capital gains, or 5% tax rate if they invest in the U.S. economy. Snap problem solved

September 30, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  11. s smith

yes and a local radio station host in Indiana put calls out to several Congressmen, Senators and State Reps. Guess how many called back to comment on air about the "bail out" ? One.

Arent' these people working for "us" the public who pays their salaries w/ our taxes? Politicians have no shame anymore. They are no longer public servants. It's ridiculous.

September 30, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  12. Lisa

I call mine. And they politely put me through to their comment-line voicemail. Apparently is too much of a bother to talk to me in person.

September 30, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  13. Gaylen Pensacola, Florida

Maybe we should try the mail...we could buy a stamp and stimulate the economy.

September 30, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  14. Cindy

Yeah, it seems that they really don't want to hear from us now! LOL

Cindy...Ga.