September 30th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/30/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch the 360 webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and staff on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 9:45p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Diane

Forget about the fact that she is running for VP, she was a journalism major and she still couldn't name one publication she reads?!?!?!

September 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Todd Copeland

Anderson,

Why should the bailout bill be passed when all polls show that the majority of voters are opposed to it?

September 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Tom

Regarding foreign policy experience; didn't Obama claim living in Indonesia when he was a child gave him the kind of foreign policy necessary to be President?

September 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  4. EJ (USA)

And why was Palin afraid to state what the "McCain – Palin" policy is on the morning after pill? Why would she back away from stating it is their policy?

September 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I'm looking forward to the Governor Palin debate. I want to make up my own mind, not be blasted with pundits and press with their own wise owl daily opinions.

September 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  6. kelly

We are selling our house and are getting around a 10 % return. Should we buy or rent right now?

September 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Brad

Hi Suzie,

Earlier, you advised someone against putting a large lump sum into the market right now. I understand the value of dollar-averaging, but doesn't it make sense to take advantage of these extremely low prices. I am in my mid-20's, have no debt (credit card or otherwise) and am investing with the intention of beginning my savings. Why should I not pour as much as I can into the market (specifically mutual funds) while it's so low? Please explain.

September 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Harry W

Maybe it's just me - for some reason, watching how Palin is being handled and protected reminds me of some bizarre version of My Fair Lady - Palin is Eliza Doolittle and McCain is Henry Higgins.

September 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  9. Sandra, Wadley Ga

Anderson thank you for having Suze speak with us concerning our investments and the economic situation. She is a wealth of information. Great show, as always!

September 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I don't think Palin ever really said being able to see Russia from Alaska gave her foreign policy experience.

September 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  11. Yvonne

The Republican Pundits must be weary of having to defend their VP pick. Just face up to the truth...McCain made a mistake.

September 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse NY

When Reagan lost that debate they said they needed to let Reagan be Reagan. The same is true with Palin. If Carvel thinks Palin isn't qualified, why doesn't he say the same about Obama? Obama is the top of the ticket, also has no foreign policy experience, and has no executive or leadership experience either.

September 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  13. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    I find it unsettling that Palin's odd responses to simple questions is continually glossed over or downplayed by Republican supporters.
    The attempt to present her as someone who relates to everyday Americans, but is "different' seems extreme.

September 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Heather - Spokane, WA

Bay Buchanan needs to do her research before she cooments on something like the morning after pill.....it does not abort a fetus.

September 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  15. gary huffman

how can the senate vote on a bill before the house?

September 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  16. Liz

Oh geez. Bay Buchanan again.

Please – I don't think Katie was trying to make fun of the fact that she was from Alaska. She was probably trying to see if she reads both conservative or liberal (or, gasp moderate!) magazines and newspapers – does she expose herself to other points of view.

September 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  17. Jamie from San Francisco

Bay is NOT making anyone feel confident about Palin. Her excuses for Palin's lack of substance are pathetic. Bay would be a better VP candidate and she knows it. Sad.

September 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Bryan

Why is the media so comsumed with tid bits of what Palin has said in the past few weeks? Why is everyone so quick to assume the woman will fail? The debate is Thursday night, watch, listen then decide. Outrageous for anyone to be so quick to judge someone else.

September 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Keira Shufelt

Anderson, the morning after pill does not abort a fetus it act like a strong birth control pill to prevent ovulation.

September 30, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Heather - Spokane, WA

Palin sounds like a younger female version of Mccain, you cannot get a straighht answer from her either.

September 30, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  21. mike

Hi Suze!
    I Just received $250,000 today. My husband and I are 45 years old. We do not have any debt. What should we do with this large amount of cash.
    Thanks!!
    You always have good advice.

Mike from Illinois.

September 30, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Bob, Colorado

Gee...I thought stocks and house values ALWAYS go up. There was NEVER a chance that they would go down. No one ever said "stocks are risky." No one ever warned us that House prices may not always go up. Suzi, why didn't any of these people listen to you, and practice safe saving

September 30, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

That is a good question for Palin. Is her position on abortion and the morning after pill reflective of what she would do or what she would impose on others?

September 30, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Claudia , Watsonville CA

Doesn't Palin understand that the morning after pill is not a form of abortion. It actually prevents a woman's body from getting pregnant. She should really go on the Planned Parenthood website and educate herself.

September 30, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Joel

It seems that the media is overreacting to me. I haven't seen congress act quickly in all of my life and now it seems that there is a big rush to push this bill. I have just as much at stake as everyone else: We (my wife and I ) have a newborn and two mortgages to pay for. I am glad to see the bill get rejected and I think we need to take a better look at the situation.

September 30, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  26. Jamie, OH

Palin should not have a say on what goes on with my body.

And Bay needs to take a nap and wake back up in reality. Goodness.

September 30, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Randy

Anderson,

How did you ask Bay the question about Sarah Palin's commander of the Alaskan National Guard question without cracking a smile.....That was a great question.

September 30, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  28. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Time for Bay Buchanan to go, Anderson. Hold her feet to the fire! You gave her a pass on the first round of questioning. Bay's responses are more double talk than Sarah Palin's responses. Bay is not dealing with reality.

September 30, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Loren

Is there anyone else you can bring on to defend Palin than Bay Buchanon? I'm beginning to doubt her intelligence the more I listen to her defend the Governor of Alaska.

September 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  30. JuliaX

Hello Suze and Anderson, I am agry, why were we not told sooner about this economic mess. We all of a sudden get hit with a 700 bill bailout. Some people must have known about this a while ago. Is the national debt somehow connected? We are cleary not told enough.

September 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  31. John Bazin

We hear a lot about the need to "free up" credit and "shore up" the economic institutions, etc., but I have yet to hear about the details of what this means in real terms.

How exactly is the $700 billion going to be spent? Is this just a matter of buying majority stakes of these failed institutions?

September 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Mark in VA

Palin has not been educated by Years of politics in Washington. She will be a good change with new ideas. Because she doesn't understand or know the Bush Doctrine, she can still make good decisions.

September 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Couric is desperate for ratings.

September 30, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  34. JR

Why are Republicans always running clean up for Sarah Palin? Do we even know that she can read?

September 30, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  35. moura from louisiana

My hubby is 70 & gets soc security & a union pension. I figure his s.s. is safe buit is the union pension safe?
    Seems like the foxes that were guarding the chicken coop are now letting the reccoons in and they are eating the nest eggs.

September 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Hannah Storm

OMG can Palin not even name a newspaper or magazine. She seriously is just a joke

September 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Margaret Wilson

Marybeth,You get your FICO score when you request credit reports. It tells you what kind of credit risk you are.

September 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Was she afraid to list what she read for fear of what everyone would say. Seems odd.

September 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Glenn Turner

Let me start by thanking you for the insightful comments not only this week, but for the years that you've guided folks on CNN and other shows.

Apart form the 'Bailout', my mind goes numb when I read that the debt of CDS (I'm still trying to figure out how that actually works) is over Sixty Trillion (60) dollars! That is mind numbing. Are we going to see the American people buy into a plan for 700 Billion dollars only to wake up in the next couple of weeks to discover the economy has imploded over fake money? 60 Trillion dollars!!! I'm gonna move to the mountains and build a cabin. This is all too much.

September 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  40. sara.ro

It's a blossom ideea to invite Suze . It would be nice to see her wisdom at least one day per week at ac360.

September 30, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Maureen T

Oh please Bay, you know Sarah doesn't know what she's talking about! She keeps spinning and spinning around. It's a wonder she's not dizzy yet!!

September 30, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Pam, WA

Regarding Sarah's reading....can't she answer ANYTHING in a straightforward way......this is getting really tiring and boring...we have NO idea who/what she REALLY is...

September 30, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Josh

Why does the media hardly mention the option of no bailout bill whatsoever. This is the option of relying our markets, the foundation of our country.

September 30, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Jen from NYC

Suze, Some economists are saying that there really isn't a 'too late' timeline to pass this bailout. I don't support the bailout in the first place, but I'm also getting more of a sense that it's actually not absolutely necessary in order to address the financial concerns that face the middle class. Your thoughts?

September 30, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Janet C. Kelly

I am worried about money that I have in two tax-deferred annuities with Midland National Life Insurance. I know that they are not FDIC insured. What should I do about this money? I will need it in my retirement and I am close to retirement now.

September 30, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  46. Terri

I, as many other Americans, still do not understand how this "bail out" will help the regular American. Why can't the plan include a way to help out those who are losing their homes, by allowing them to refinance their loans so they can afford their payments? That way there wouldn't be all this bad debt out there that needed to be bought by the government and paid for by the taxpayers.

September 30, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  47. Evan

Suze-

Im a college senior that will be graduating with no college debt. I am thinking about continuing my education into a PhD Program. I recently won 25k on a slot machine and am recieving another 25k from a lawsuit settlement. I work part time as a bartender and have been paying for school with that money, and live comfortably. WIth this crisis, should I be concerned with financial aid prospects for my graduate program? I wanted to invest the money, but now Im concerned I may need it if Financial aid slips...what should I do?

September 30, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Nancy

Suze –

Why do we just give them money to the american taxpayers, instead of paying off the rich guys for bad management and greed?

September 30, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Francie

I have 160,000 in Hartford annuity, and 36,000 in Aviva Life annuity. I can't transfer it out for six weeks according to Charles Schwab. I want to put my retirement into CD's. This is all I have I'm 67 years old. Even a transfer letter has to be approved by both companies and will take sex weeks. I'm terrified that I will lose everything. Please advise me if you can.
    Thanks.

September 30, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Bret Peters

I am so glad you have Suze on . She is who I would pick for VP if I was Mcain....... Suze you ROCK ! thanks for answering what we all needed to hear.

September 30, 2008 at 10:36 pm |