September 29th, 2008

Gambler McCain survives a wild week

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/29/mcain.jpg caption="Republican presidential candidate John McCain shakes hands with Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama at the Presidential Debate on Friday." width=292 height=320]

Ed Rollins
GOP Strategist and Former Huckabee National Campaign Chairman

Wow what a week!

Having watched Congressional leaders and the White House deal behind closed doors all week, I now know why the country has been giving them some of the lowest approval ratings in history.

John McCain is a big gambler according to a lengthy story in Sunday's New York Times. And certainly a roll of the dice is the best way to describe the last week. Congress is betting billions of our tax dollars that Wall Street - which lost much of its own and its investors' money in bad bets - will do better with the government's money.

Our "Swaggerer in Chief," President Bush, who has strutted from crisis to crisis with utmost arrogance for two long terms, sheepishly arrived on primetime television to scare the daylights out of the very people he should be reassuring. I have never heard a president give a less reassuring speech.

It was definitely a "Chicken Little," the-sky-is-falling performance with no explanation of why taxpayers must mortgage their kids' futures to pay for this latest crisis to occur on his watch.

Keep reading...

Filed under: Ed Rollins • Raw Politics
  1. lorraine

terry the comment about mccain wasn't necessary especially about vietnam were you or Obama there I was a dem.until the primary when the Dem. didn't let it finish, with we need to unite , for the life of me I don't get the Clintons
    Lorraine

September 30, 2008 at 1:51 am |
  2. Terry

The similarities between Bush and McCain are striking. Both are failed sons to their fathers. Underacheivers in school, neither one has ever
    had a real job. They both owe everything to their family connections.
    Bush spent yeaars on booze and dope. McCain did not return from
    viet Nam in one piece. Neither has a grasp on reality.

Obama is sane, educated and humane. Our Country dearly needs a
    competent person in the White House.

September 29, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  3. Lisa from NC

I find it interesting and amusing that McCain has tried to adopt/integrate "change" into his stump speeches. However, upon reflection, I guess he is the candidate of CHANGE....Change his mind (over and over and over), Change his message, Change in debate appearance (to go, not to go, to go), Change in philosophy (deregulation, more regulation), Change his slogan (to the other guy's), Change in his support of Bush ( I support our President (90%). I am distancing myself from our President), Change his history.....If this man becomes our President, we get ShortCHANGED.

To ANNIE KATE
    Yes, there is a policy in place to handle a Vice Presidential change. I can't remember what it is called but know that it is there(seems like I remember learning this in college). I believe it would be detrimental for McCain to make a change this close to the election. He has had so much trouble sticking to his message and platform that I think another big change would call his judgment too much into question. However, with that said, he is very erratic and unpredictable and just might be willing to risk it. I should have guessed he was quite the gambler. Also, on an unrelated post... I did not assume that you were voting for McCain (you suggested this when you replied to my reply). I was questioning your statement about the candidates focusing on the economy and foregoing the debate. I wanted to see them side by side answering questions that are important to me and my family (like this failing economy, environment, Iraq etc...). As far as prejudging people, well, McCain is so transparent that it doesn't take much to see through his reasoning. If we don't question politician's reasons, we suffer the consequences, but thanks for the insightful response.

September 29, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  4. Shane

HAHA .. wait a minute Mccain is down 4% nation wide if I ever believed in polls, even the electorals are close. But .. but, lets say I do believe in polls, for a man to be this close on winning this election as a democrat, it is totally unbelievable and extraordinary! Is this guy a supersoldier or what, does he have cybernetic implants installed in his 5 senses! lol I am not surprised that McCain might still win this thing and I will support him. This man has such a sense of humor, I see him talking and while at the same time grabbing his trusty laser pen and pointing out that he will make famous anyone that comes up with stupid earmarks and I am absolutely on the floor crampin by laughter. Thats why liberals are shaking in their boots because they believe him, and he will do it whether yur a republican or democrat and I trust him and thats what americans need. They need a "do something" president and not a "do nothing congress" lol .. I believe him when he sais he's by-partisan but the democrats including Obama since the primaries have been blaming everything on Bush and now the truth point blank on congress as all of us are witnessing that is the problem. MCcain = truth

September 29, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  5. Lesley

Great article! I will vote for the smart kid. I don't want to put my future in the hands of a gambler. My dad was a gambler and it is a deadly disease, one that kills just as surely as any other. McCain is becoming more reckless with age and will do anything to get into the position of commander in chief, not because he feels he has a contribution to make, but to allow him to fight wars the way he wants them fought, while letting someone else handle the other little details of running the country, like the economy, health care, education, and all the rest of it. With Palin as his back up, I fear what will become of my future if this team gets elected in November.

September 29, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  6. zelia smith

Why not go to the root of the surge....I have been waiting for Obama or some one to measure the rate of violence and attacks in Afganistan to that of Iraq durung or after the surge...The reason why is....The surge did not make a difference...it was timed to look that way...I bet that by the time the surge happened, violence had already increased in Afganistan...The surge seemed to have worked Iraq because Al-Quade was not there... not in Iraq...they had already began to build strength in Afganistan and alsewhere...John Mcain and the republicians knew this and the implementation of the surge was to make it seem as if we were gaining grounds or lookin good in Iraq. THINK>>>>>>>Give this to the Obama campaign to investigate...

September 29, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  7. Maureen / Newman, California

McCain reminds me of that crazy, confused soldier on Gilligan's Island that is willing to fight the WRONG people just to keep the war going. Just like Bush. McCain's crazy stunt backfired. And he should of won the debate on foreigh policy Friday night. But he didn't because Obama is extremely intelligent and has a lot of knowledge on the subject. Obama also has fresh ideas on the subject that will benefit America and the world. McCain just wants to use the same old Bush ideas that do not work, do not make us safer, and do not help to reestablish our standing in the world.

September 29, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  8. Keith

Ed. Google the following three words 'Acorn Obama Clinton' then you'll see how we got into this financial mess.

September 29, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

Perhaps the candidates still can't conceive of the US government running out of money or there being another depression so they have not put the thought into prioritizing their plans in a way that the country will be able to afford at least some of what they are talking about. I wasn't thrilled about the bailout; I don't think anyone is. But, I've heard depression stories all my life and I really don't want one of those either.

It has been a wild week; one that I am glad is over. I have wondered though – if Palin continues to do so dismally can she be dropped from the ticket and replaced? If she can what would the impact of that be?

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 29, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  10. Charles

John McCain is a crazed man that is almost as dangerous as his running mate if he were to become president. Gambler Mc Cain survived the week because of the big political machine around him.

It is not a matter of Obama not being ableto put him away. The big Political Machine surrounding McCain was not happy about McCain's latest escapade. McCain is a crazed, wreckless, and desparate man willing to gambe with his future. We do not need such crazed man gambling with the future of millions of Americans. The Big Republican Machine keeps coming to McCain's rescue. The Machine spins his actions as though they were some part of grand plan. McCain is the only one who view his actions as part of a grand plan.

We do not need some crazed maniacal man making decisions for us. The only thing that could be worse, would be if his air head running mate were running the country.

Charles from South Texas

September 29, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  11. Tonnie, New Mexico

John McCain is a wreck! His little phony campaign suspension didn't work. He never stopped campaigning. He put an ad before the debate saying that he won. That's not campaigning? He gave an interview with Katie Couric. That's not campaigning? He lied about going to the debate. A rouse! He went to Washington supposedly to get the bill passed and screwed it up for everyone. Congress had almost come up with a bipartisan solution and then he showed up and created chaos. We don't need another reckless president. I'm voting for Barack Obama. He is the only sane choice.

September 29, 2008 at 1:17 pm |
  12. Jamie,Hattiesburg,Ms

John McCain's body lanuage spoke volumes.

September 29, 2008 at 1:07 pm |
  13. Joao

Even if this "stunt" didn't work...He still can remind US, once again, how he surrendered to the Vietnamese.

September 29, 2008 at 1:03 pm |
  14. Cindy

Ed,
    So what was President Bush supposed to do? Come out and give a speech on TV and say that everything is hunky dory but yet they need us to give $700 billion to bailout Wall Street? IMO he did what he had to. He told the reality of the situation. It is scary so sugar coating it won't help.

And how do you know that McCain was not welcome in the talks about the bailout? Were you included in those talks...NO!! You just are going on what the dems have said. In reality John has as much right to be there as any of the rest. He is a senator and is being paid by us to do that job not sit back and watch others do it and then try to take credit like some others do.

And if I recall Obama did not tell what he would cut either from his long list of programs. So you saying that McCain has no clue on the economic situation that we are in can be said even more effectively about Obama. Especially since this whole mess started he has barely given any plans on how to deal with it.

Cindy...Ga.