September 23rd, 2008

Morning Buzz: Speed Dating Politics

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

I love the first line of correspondent Ed Henry’s story: ‘it’s like speed-dating with world leaders, in the span of just 30 hours in NY, Sarah Palin will meet with 9 heads of State or VIP's on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly Meetings.’ Some analysts say the purpose of these meetings is for the GOP to show she is capable of holding her own with world leaders.

Today, Palin links up with the heads of Afghanistan and Colombia, and more meetings to come in the next 2 days. Talk about a crash course in foreign affairs? Ed Henry will bring us that report tonight.

Speaking of studying, Barack Obama spends the day in Florida prepping for the first big presidential debate Friday night. He has no public events, though we’re sure he won’t be too quiet today.

John McCain spends the day in Ohio and Michigan touring factories and we can expect him to keep talking about the economy and try to play up Mr. Populist image. Joe Biden campaigns in Virginia by day; addresses the National Democratic Council in DC by night. Correspondent Candy Crowley will bring us the highlights later tonight.

And then there is the financial crisis-the $700 billion dollar bailout, gulp and Wall Street as we knew it, gone in a matter of one week? I’m burying the lead here, but of course the day’s news will be dominated by these negotiations as they unfold, with both parties trying to weigh into the package that the all-powerful Henry Paulson is pushing. From Wall Street to Main Street, everyone is feeling the urgency to do something and fast. Correspondent Ali Velshi will be following this story for us today, and try to help us make sense of it all.

Interestingly, this financial crisis appears to be giving Dems an advantage. Our CNN polls show that most Americans hold the Republicans responsible for this crisis, and specifically we found that 53% of Americans think Obama would handle the economy better, while 43% of Americans said the same for McCain. With 42 days to go until the election, how will this financial turmoil play out on Election Day in terms of who is voting for who?

We have 2 investigative stories for you tonight focusing on the Veeps. Abbie Boudreau went to Alaska to check out the Road to Nowhere, as it’s called, which was supposed to connect to the Bridge to Nowhere that never came to be. This road has been built to the tune of $26 million dollars, but some locals say it doesn’t serve a purpose. Drew Griffin brings us a report on Biden’s record on earmarks, as he has been criticizing Palin’s own record, we decided to check out which projects he supported.

That's where we start today, see you tonight at 10p ET!

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Julie

So Sarah Palin is a pitbull hockey mom who can hold her own with Bono and other important people and Biden has a tendancy to put his foot...okay his feet in his mouth. I have made up my mind, "Go O!" and can't believe this election is even still up for discussion. What is "buzz" to me is why I can't get gas in Asheville, NC. I'm learning there is a gas shortage in the Southeast and have heard Atlanta and Knoxville are experiencing similar scenes of long lines and plastic bags covering gas pumps. I have heard of police regulating gas station traffic and arguments ensuing over people cutting in line at the pump and that this can be expected for the next week or so. So I sit at home with my half tank of gas, watching CNN wondering how the rest of the hurricane season and a gigantic financial crisis will effect this beautiful mountain city and if our current troubles will reach the national news.

September 23, 2008 at 8:41 pm |
  2. Patrick

There is an old saying..."If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got." I believe the wrong word has been used over and over again in this election. CHANGE...which could also be for the worst. I think a better word to use would be RESTORATION. I also feel strongly that NEW blood is needed in the White House. What has EXPERIENCE proven to us on Main Street? Nothing but the waving of hands and shallow promises.

September 23, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  3. Julie San Diego, CA

Wow, talk about insulated. They have to bring the press and the foreign leaders to HER. And we thought "W" was bad.

Sarah Palin is 44 years old and she's only been outside our country once – on a dubious tour of Iraq/Kuwait that was largely a photo-op and was so sterilized and safeguarded I would have let my grandmother take it.

If she had truly been interested in aspiring to an office higher than Mayor of Wasilla, she would have broadened her horizons years ago.

The whole speed dating analogy is fitting . Anyone can keep up a good impression for a few minutes.

During the debates, I'd love to have someone ask her some geography questions – like "Name a country entirely surrounded by another country?" (Lesoto which is surrounded by South Africa) "Where is Latvia and what is its capital?" (Northern Europe/Riga)

Joe Biden's probably been to these places. Sarah Palin probably couldn't find them on a map.

September 23, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  4. Presley

Sarah Palin is taking the Peggy Hill PhD course in Foreign Policy and Relations.

September 23, 2008 at 12:01 pm |
  5. Clarence, Albuquerque

Speed dating economists ....I wonder how many reporters and journalists have to go through the speed dating process every time there is a story that is out of their regular scope of coverage.... suddenly everyone has the economic jargon readily available....I figure you gotta do what you gotta do...

September 23, 2008 at 10:02 am |
  6. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Good morning Aanderson and staff

I like that refrence speed dating weith world leaders.It's a crash course in diplomatic relations 101.Palin trying to prove she is evrey bit the right choice . The economy is crazy.The wall street better not reap the rewards of this 700 billion dollar bailout that's not fair it shouldn't be the taxpayers who suffer beacuse of this crisis.The rpublicans are now feeling the heat and with only 42 days left what will happen next who can handle this better and what is their plan ?

Thanks for the buzz
    see you later on 360
    Michelle D.

September 23, 2008 at 9:37 am |
  7. TESAP;SAVANNAH,GA

This is a big to-do about nothing. She won;t speak to the press will she even talk to the leaders????

This is a big silly stunt which will show just how backwards our political parties are......... I HOPE SOMEONE ASKS HER ABOUT VIEWING RUSSIA FROM HER HOUSE. The rest of the world is watching and folks we are a big comedy, starring President Dumb Dumb..............

September 23, 2008 at 9:27 am |
  8. Brenda Harris

This is so embarrassing. Having company come in from all over the world, letting them see what a mess that all of these grown people have brought this country to. Damn, I can't wait for the November elections so we can rid the country of the bums who have caused us all of this grief. We have got to get to the bottom of this mess and vote to throw the bums responsible in JAIL.

I was wondering when we were going to talk about that road to nowhere. Further evidence that beauty is only skin deep.

September 23, 2008 at 9:16 am |
  9. Annie Kate

700 billion is a lot of money – I hate to put the country that much more in debt – will we ever be able to pay our debt off? I agree with some of the stuff the Democrats want in the bill – the oversight, the equity for the government so it can be sold to recoup some of the money bailing these places out, the help for those home owners whose mortgage just needs restructured to be able to make it. Other than that I'm afraid if Congress starts adding things it will reduce the chances of the bailout working; it would be terrible if we put out that much money and it didn't work.

From what the doomsayers are saying its either bail them out or have an economic crisis as bad as the Great Depression. No one wants a depression but from what the 360 economic panel said last night sounds as bad – inflation and the devaluation of our dollar. My question for Ali is which in the long run is going to be worse on us average taxpayers. Another question is has our economy ever operated without some sort of government intervention off and on throughout the years?

So Palin meets a few people at the UN....still isn't experience. McCain is stretching on this one. McCain was a good candidate when this election cycle started; I'm disappointed in some of the things he is doing now on the ads, the negative remarks, the untruths, and his dismal pick of Palin for VP. He ought to show what remarkable character and courage he has by stopping this kind of behavior and acting like the honorable man he has been in the past. Its better to lose an election than to lose one's integrity.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 23, 2008 at 8:46 am |
  10. Alex

Gosh I wish the election was tomorrow....I for one am getting so tired of the negativity between both camps. The news media keeps kicking the dead horse about idiotic issues such as "the bridge to nowhere," how many cars McCain owns, what Obama's former minister said in a sermon 5 years ago, or whether Palin would make a good VP because her daughter is pregnant. Enough already! Get to and stay on issues that matter to the real world out here such as how these two candidates are going to make any of their programs a reality with the likehood that there will be NO money for them.

September 23, 2008 at 8:46 am |
  11. Rahni, Connecticut

We're going to bailout all these companies on wall street and their CEOs who were making million of dollars. What about me, why can't the federal government come to my rescue and bail me out of my mortgage, credit cards and medical bills? I'm a person who is working two jobs and I'm the one needs a bailout. Something is extremely wrong with this picture!

Rahni, Connecticut

September 23, 2008 at 8:37 am |
  12. Marco

i find the latest news very disturbing that the rich can make all the mistake's tthey want and they are never accountable but the individuals the poor or fair people can't make the sleithess mistake they will be put in the ground. As i grew up i thout that justice was what you stand for. the more i grew up the more i realized that may not be the case. i now beleive that thruout history capitalism polirizes the économie on long term, In so doing you create a class of poeple who do not live under the same rules. It's my opinion that you are getting furthur away from what the fore father's spirit of the constitution wanted for the futur. They gave their lives to free the poeple from the strangling hold of the monarchy. I seem's to me tthat the solutions is simple to be made with justice. You bail out the poeple thus taking care of the proble at it's root. In so doing you keep the hope's and dreams of a generation won't be consumed by those who are responsable then i might put the whole systeme on trial and solutions do exist. thruout history we can understand why thing do what they do. A mager change in the the way redistribution is made in society. I do not beleive that rich poeple are more intellegent i beleive that they control keys into society that give them the upper hand in life and i am reinforced in my beleif when you look at the stats of millionnaiers per capita. and then i remember beeing thout that in life every thing must have a passing grade. with less than 1% of the nation in a position to claim that the American dream as a reality of life. And boy do we regret ever truting Bush and his freinds now. but they well prove my point you can arrange presidential election you can lie theat well finaly they prove money can buy lots of thing but you do bye me love........... hope that my reflexion make some way maybe i could be a start for knew visions.

September 23, 2008 at 8:35 am |