September 19th, 2008

Simpson trial ends early Friday

Editor’s Note:
O.J. Simpson is on trial for robbery and kidnapping charges nearly a year after police arrested him in Las Vegas, Nevada. Prosecutors say Simpson and five other men stormed into a Las Vegas hotel room last September 13 to recover sports memorabilia that Simpson said belonged to him. They say at least two men with Simpson had guns as they robbed two sports memorabilia dealers. The following dispatches come from our Paul Vercammen covering the trial.

--------------------------–
[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/19/art.oj.headphones.jpg]Paul Vercammen
CNN Senior Producer

3:21PM PT

The O.J. Simpson armed robbery and kidnapping trial ended the week's testimony with more tape recordings from wheeler dealer Tom Riccio.

The final three recordings were of phone conversations between Riccio and Simpson after the incident.

Simpson could be heard repeatedly saying he did not know someone pulled a gun at the Palace Station Hotel room.

The jury also listened to Riccio's recording of the alleged "armed robbery."

The panel took notes, eight of them listening on head phones to voices in the hotel room including someone who sounded like Simpson screaming expletives, "you think you can steal my stuff?"

Court will resume Monday with Riccio on the stand.

Once the prosecution finishes it will be the defense attorneys to unleash what’s expected to be a blistering cross examination of Riccio.

1. Peggy

O.j. not only gets away with murder in California of innocernt human beings but the low class criminal is now involved in Armed Robbery and Burglary. Once he entered that person's door without permission he also committed burglary. How many Crimes is this jerk going to get away with? If he was White he would be in jail for killing Denise. Brown. My brother was a teacher to the Brown Sisters and my Daughter was their waitress (she is now a teacher) They said that the Brown were a great family! This is not justice!

Marticin Luther King said that he didn't trust Jesse Jackson, that he was the Judas in his group. What do you think that man of God would say about O.J. He would say convict Him!

OJ Simpson AKA: Rodney King!!!!!

September 22, 2008 at 2:11 am |
  2. qb123

I agree that something seems fishy in this case, especially with the recorded conversations and the all white jury.

However, if the rights to possession of the memoriabilia was transfered legally to Tom Riccio and OJ was proven to take the items without consent, he would be liable.

qb123

September 22, 2008 at 12:45 am |
  3. Don, WA

He was a boyhood football hero to me – I had his poster – he inspired me to enter the "Punt-Pass-and-Kick" contest at age ten and win a third place trophy. I've grown up, and love my PPK trophy to this day. The poster is long gone though – and so is OJ. TGIF!

September 22, 2008 at 12:15 am |
  4. Ben

There is no guarantee that a jury of Simpson's peers is going to be all black. Nor would a jury of a white person's peers necessarily all be white. It is a cross section of the community in which the alleged crime was committed.

He can steal sports memorabilia that doesn't belong to him.

Also, Riccio would not receive any money in relation to Simpson being found guilty in a criminal trial. Your sense of smell is deceiving you. Even if he were later involved in a civil action...well you can't get squeeze blood from a turnip.

September 21, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Reggie

I don’t know what kind of people the prosecution got to sit on the jury, but if it was someone trying to sell my property I would do the same thing except I would go in with guns blazing. Shoot first then ask questions later! I really don’t see a conviction on this, but I somehow don’t think it’s about these charges at all.

September 21, 2008 at 6:37 pm |
  6. malcolm x

i think the people thats trying to judge o.j on this one is worser than oj! if you wana put him in jail for what you think he got away with 14yrs ago, THEN SAY THAT! but dont waste our time with theese shady characters thats accusing him 2day! you always talk this justice crap. the only time you're interested in justice is when things go your way! Yyou're no better than oj!

September 21, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  7. Rachael

Seems funny that you guys post certain comments and not others. I've responded to this ignorant "Rose" but it was never posted.

How bout this? There are alot of us Americans who will enjoy the day that man FINALLY goes to jail, and let's see how the other prisoners like him. I bet they will help him see how all of his victims have felt over the years x 10 🙂

Have fun OJ, maybe you'll last as long as Dahmer?

September 21, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  8. Roxie

Why was that whole day being recorded? Money? no set up? quite likely...
    I hate to say this but i think he might actually get off...Again....

September 21, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  9. Laura, Boston

I hope that when all is said and done that the items OJ was going after will be given to Fred Goldman so he can sell them on EBay. That would burn OJ....

Laura, Boston

September 19, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  10. Rose From San Bernardino, Calif

What is wrong with this picture for one all WHITE JURY!
    And how can you STEAL your OWN Sport Mimorabilia?
    Tom Riccio (dealer) he should be the last person anyone should believe!
    Plus why was Tom Riccio RECORDING Simpson and his conversations? I smell MONEY here.

September 19, 2008 at 7:52 pm |