September 19th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/19/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. David, Indiana

Seeing a lot of comments about that first economic discussion. One thing I picked up was that mortgage crisis is larger than S&L but maybe manageable.

Why didn't lenders, borrowers, and govt pay more attention to good credit practices, though?

September 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Niki

Thank you for covering Jill Biden. She is a truly amazing women that deserves recognition.

September 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  3. Sandra, Ga

You are right Anderson. The experts are suddenly surprised, and in my opinion, not so expert. I believe this bail out is just trial and error. We'll see, but I am afraid not too soon.

September 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  4. Yvonne

Jill Biden is the real deal.

September 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  5. Pamina

It is interesting to see how candidates "court" the women's vote. I certainly look at a candidates record before I decide who to vote for. I wonder how long Sarah Palin will have the following she has had for the last few weeks.

September 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  6. Dan - Alabama

Ooooh! Let me get my claws on CNN for telling the truth.

September 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  7. jimk

I did everything asked of working Americans. I worked hard. Saved all of my working life for a secure retirement and now I see it that I should have bought a boat.

September 19, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Uma, Liverpool, UK

Morning, Anderson, Erica, and bloggers!

Mark from Canada said:

As a Canadian (an outsider looking in ) How is it possilbe that the republicans are even close in this election ? The American economy is falling apart ? There has been a war based on fall pre-tenses ? And Americas popularity around the world is at a all time low.Does no responsibilty lie with the adminstation ??? How is this election even close ??

A question which is being asked all over the world... not just in Canada.

I hear talk of 'more Electoral votes', and my heart sinks. How can an election, with the USA so disgusted, be resting (again) on the Electoral College? *scary visions of 2000 and recounts swim before my eyes*

Obama should be winning by a LANDSLIDE! What is wrong with the American Voting Public? He's not the one wedded to the disastrous 'laisser-faire', 'free-market' capitalism, which has demolished the world (yes, WORLD) economies. He's not the one who said the 'economy is fundamentally sound'. He's not the one with a Barbie-doll V-P. Why is it even close? How gullible is the voting public...

Never mind... stupid question. You elected George Bush, once!

September 19, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Allison

If this meltdown occurs, this will be known as the "global depression".

September 19, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Jean

Do we really need to forgo tax cuts for the middle class, tax increases for the wealthy, an improved health care system and dealing with energy/global warming? Once before, Republicans said we can't do anything until we have a balanced budget; so Democrats did that. The Republicans immediately turned around and put us in massive deficits with tax cuts targeted to the wealthy. Are we going to fall for it again?

September 19, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  11. kim-chicago

Why would any woman vote for McCain/Palin? it truly baffles me.

September 19, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson that is why people need to educate themselves on a variety of subjects and get different opinions as much as they can.

I don't think the financial "experts" really know what to do. I am afraid that they are just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best.

September 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Bob Tasa

Does anyone remember that during the last RTC bail out a lot of those people who caused the problem profited? So where is the down side to creating this mess? When you are rich in the US you can buy enough political power to never have to worry about failure.
    Want to bet the CEO of Leahman already has a job..

September 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  14. RJ in AZ

Thanks for the Jill Biden tidbit. I didn't know anything about her. Nice job.

September 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Nancy

Anderson,

I am livid. Why are the CEO & CFO's of the bailed out firms able to keep their assets? They were paid hundreds of millions and own hundreds of millions in assets

Under SOX regulations are they not liable? Can't all their assets be seized and used to pay back the taxpayers?

September 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Len DeTrizio

Part of this mortgage bailout plan should include restrictions on executive's compensation at the firms involved for the next 'x' number of years. Their poor risk management and short term greed must be rewarded appropriately .....with little or no compensation.

September 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Jon

That's a valid point, Anderson. What can an expert say about something they have never seen before? Does that still make them an expert?

September 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Shane O'Sheeran, Las Vegas, Nevada

Anderson, yes it is frightening and just as frightening that Phil Gramm, who has written McCain's economic policy for this campaign, and John McCain are actually partly responsible for this entire mess!

September 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Jan in Kennesaw Georgia

It is not enough that at least 46% of our debt is owned by foreign countries who use that money against us by buying our companies and real estate. Since our manufacturing jobs are mostly outsourced and we are reduced to offering mostly services instead of goods, we have to be concerned that we will run out of things to sell. Now foreign countries are boosting education to fill those service jobs at home. Then what...cash demand for the paper we sold to finance our debt......and we are sunk! Can everyone spell "superinflation"?

September 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Josette... Denver,Co

It is an odd coincidence that the last time this sort of crisis hit was in the 80's, the S&L– didn’t a Bush have a hand in that….that caused a great deal of financial loss for my family. “People – No more of the same”! Please or none of us will have a sound retirement. Get wise and get inspired.

September 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  21. EJ (USA)

We know that you weren't trying to give us investment advice Anderson. (or at least – most of know) By the look on your face yesterday – why would anyone take investment advice from you? ha!

September 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Jen in Mex.

You know what happens when you default on your loans?
    You lose your good credit rating, your knees get broken,
    and crediters believe they have the right to protect their "interests"... Who do we owe??????

September 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Elaine Jackson

Obama continue to be blame for all the wrong doing of McCain 30+years in Washington. An for Palin well she's just a token for the party. Be a woman like Hillary and let's see what your really working with girl. Start talking about the issues.

September 19, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Marian

We are becoming more of a country of the very rich and the poor as the middle class are caught in the middle of all of it – more loopholes and tax breaks for the rich and public assistance for those in extreme poverty.

September 19, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Charlie

"Clarence – it is frightening when you hear “experts” say this is a 100 year event.. which just makes me think, well that means none of the “experts” alive today have ever seen anything like it…and it makes me wonder if they really know what to do. We like to put so much faith in “experts” – doctors, financial advisors…but how many of the money “experts” have actually been caught by surprise in all this.. im guessing most of them"

Great points Anderson.

September 19, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  26. grace

maybe the bailout can be funded with money "reclaimed" from anyone in the industry that profited exorbitantly

September 19, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Timothy Allen Campbell

I don't get it.

AIG files bankruptcy, because they can't pay their loans at 7% to the bank, so we loan them $85 billion at 11% and expect to be payed back in two years?

Is this the cure for the housing crisis?

The banks gave all these jobless people $300,000 so they can buy a house, they couldn't pay, so the banks foreclosed, and the people filed bankruptcy. Now the cure, is for the Government to give all these bankrupt broke poor people, loans so they can buy their house back from the bank and the Government believes they will be payed back in two years? This must be the Bush Doctrine.

see GoTimothy Videos on YouTube.

Timothy Allen Campbell

September 19, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Catherine

Anderson...whether it's bail-outs or deficits we the people always pay the price. I agree with Ken that those responsible should held accountable....we the people are.

September 19, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Kristin

Jill Biden is a class act.

September 19, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I really like Jill Biden! Impressive and real!

September 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Mary

Anderson, Thank you for keeping your show as unbiased as possible. It is one of the only shows I trust. Would this economic drama still happen if it was not a election year?

September 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Alex Dzeda - Austin, TX

Cool about that Civil War ship, shame it's in ruins though.

September 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Elise

Paulson seemed to only be interested in this new bailout when Goldman's stock was under fire this week. He used to run the firm and I would be interested in knowing how much GS stock he still has from that company. I'm sure that he got calls from Goldman to help them out. Their stock was falling fast.

September 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Marc

I have lost 100s of thousands of dolars in this fraudulent Market, and I hope the Stock Market will Collapse once and for all. I hope the entire financial market will go down the drain, and we will go back to the biginning of time.

September 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Brandi-bottom of the boot

palin not much, i like jill biden though

September 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree Jolene, I'd have much more respect for the two candidates if they stood side by side and tried to help Americans feel reassured in this crisis. That would be a real change.

September 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Margaret Wilson

There is a solution but it will take the middle class to have it's back so to speak. Vote! Vote! Vote! Time to shake up the politicians and the regulations.

September 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Jewel

Why does the American public always want quick fixes. It really takes times to come up with plans to keep this from happening again

September 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  39. bob

who was that guy predicting armageddan? He should not be on your show- he is an extremist and did not have an alternative plan. Why dont you have an equally positive maniac??

September 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  40. MaryBeth

Brad: If I remember my history correctly, the FDIC was created so that the run on Wall Street in 1929 wouldn't happen again. So that people wouldn't lose their money.

September 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  41. William-Georgia

The current economic banking crisis can be best explained by some poignant words of Martin Luther King.

King said, "America believes in socialism for the rich and capitalism for the poor."

No one is going to bail out the ones having to pay for this mess.

September 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse NY

AC, real estate looks good now too. The housing market has to be near bottom. Want to lend me a million bucks to buy a few houses?

September 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Charlie

When I said buy gold I meant no more than 15-20% of your net worth. Buy one ounce eagles or =. Also a 4/5 star mutual fund is a good idea for stocks.

September 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  44. andersoncnn

Clarence – it is frightening when you hear "experts" say this is a 100 year event.. which just makes me think, well that means none of the "experts" alive today have ever seen anything like it...and it makes me wonder if they really know what to do. We like to put so much faith in "experts" – doctors, financial advisors...but how many of the money "experts" have actually been caught by surprise in all this.. im guessing most of them

September 19, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Pamina

I'm looking forward to hearing more about Senator Biden's wife. I don't know much about her.

September 19, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  46. willie

they can take all the bailout money and divide it between the american people the everyone would be middle class

September 19, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Great Scott we know you are not a stock broker Anderson. Don't worry we probably take your advice! 😉

September 19, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Donata from Amarillo, TX

How cool is that ship? Something good from Ike.

September 19, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Lizzy

Whoa that ship uncovered in Alabama is cool!

September 19, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  50. EJ (USA)

Why are those people allowed so close to that ship wreck? They could steal parts of it (to sell on ebay). I would think the US would want to preserve as much of it as possible..

September 19, 2008 at 10:37 pm |