September 19th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/19/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jana, Indiana

That is interesting about the Civil War ship being uncovered by the hurricane. That would be something to see.

September 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  2. robert Whitley

Okay, bail me out. Everyone with a mortage on a private residence;
    ollie ollie in come free, the feds have paid off your mortage. Tell the
    banks to go figure. I mean how much would it cost to simply pay off
    the mortages of middle class Americans. How much. Why are we
    bailing out the guys having the foreclosue signs printed?

September 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  3. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Nice that the price of oil has dropped significantly. NOW, why haven't we seen that at the pump?

September 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar

I am really worried my money, I don't want lose my money......
    Oh no!!!! that so scary to watch bus and train......... My heart goes to 15 people in Los Angeles.....

September 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Aubrey in Canada

For the everyday people to suck it up and support this bailout- CEO's & Mgrs must get no stock options to cash in at this time and any who are let go only get a max. 1 month salary for each year of service. Just like anyone in the middle class who is let go for incompitance!!!! Getting 5 million severance for failure??????

September 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Carl Sealy

When are we going to hear about the criminal charges that will be brought against the management of these large corporations (AIG, Lehman Brothers, etc)? It is obvious that these people were paying themselves hugh salaries even though they were asleep at the wheel.

September 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Holy Cow! that ship is cool!

September 19, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Sahira

I wonder if any of these people know what's the right thing to do, everyone has a different view of the situation.

September 19, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Hannah

Anderson: I think this mess is just the beginning of the end. I tried to be optimistic but things for me are getting worst. I mean the financial crisis is almost solved, but the economical issues will follow us for a considerable period of time. We still don't know what is going to happen with the bailout because if it doesn't work we a re going to be in a big serious trouble.

September 19, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  10. andersoncnn

im certainly the last person in the world to be giving anyone investment advice.. Suze Orman on this program was pointing out ..that stocks probably make sense for those with long horizons, but if one needs money in the short term, stocks might not be the way to go.. but again, i would never presume to give financial advice to anyone...

September 19, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Charlie

Protect your future buy gold

September 19, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Shane O'Sheeran, Las Vegas, Nevada

Madeline, Obama said he supports the bailout, it is the administartion plan in the big picture he is waiting to hear in deatil so he can make an informed judgement and cooment as someone Presidential should do, unlike the panic and blundering of McCain, which is obvious to anyone npaying real attention as a fact!

September 19, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

Wisconsin is a tossup? did i hear that right? I find that hard to believe, isn't leaning heavily Obama?

September 19, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Dave

Anderson

Money is the quick fix. Issue since Bankruptcy law change in 2005. What fixes bad system? Raising credit standards is that answer? How about a flat credit rate for all morgages? Is credit score system the issue?

Dave
    Normal Person
    Normal, Illinois

September 19, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Maureen / Newman, California

I have a severe health problem. And what I have learned from this is to take things one day at a time. Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. We need to give this a chance and try not to panic. We need to ask ourselves what we can do to help. Even if in small ways. Help a neighbor or friend that is struggling, etc. This is a scary time, but I think that we will get through it together.

September 19, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Cassie

Anyone here who thinks floating 3 different plans around will not solve the problems we face it needs both dems and reps period. McCain should have kept his mouth shut like Obama and waited to hear what the current adminstration was offering.

September 19, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  17. JImmy in California

@ carlos santiago

The way things are going now your 401-K will soon be a 202-K and it will be low enough for you to slide it under your bed for safe keeping.

September 19, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Patty

Casey in Palm Springs,

Your facts are all correct. thanks for pointing out McCain's hypocracy.
    Its now becoming legendary...

September 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Emma

Charles, they both took donations from Freddie and Fannie. The difference is Obama has the former CEOs of Freddie and Fannie as his advisors.

September 19, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Belinda

I want to know when we identify and go after the people who created this mess and hold them responsible. Someone made a lot of money on bad loans and now my 401K and even the worth of my dollar is suffering because they were careless. Maybe they should be fined and that money used to help pay all this debt we the people are about to have pushed on us. This is the Thanks we get for working hard and doing the right thing! Ugggggg!

September 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  21. Jane, WV

I feel like this our country's greatest time of need for a leader, and someone needs to step forward. Our current president hasn't been able to bring the country together and give us a clear solution, so the oppurtunity is there, be it a presidential candidate or someone outside the government. We need someone to answer our questions with intelligence and provide real reassurance.

September 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  22. Everett Springer

Anderson, It was not Obama that started the Attacks today, It was McCain and then Obama responded.....

September 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  23. grace

Good eveing all-

I don't expect either candidate to come up with a solution to this debacle in such a short period of time. This is a mess decades in the making. Obama's bright, but he's not that good. I'm glad he stepped back a bit

September 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Kat

As important as the discussion is for fixing the economy, we need to at least start the dialogue on how to prevent this crisis in the future as well. Although I hardly have a grip on all the things that brought us to this point, there is an obvious need for change or regulation. If the government continues to bail out our economy, who will bail out our government when we're tapped out?

September 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Brad - Delaware

usually I do not like how the democratic side is slow to offer plans or ideas for the country, but in this case I think Obama is right in saying we have to take this day by day to create an intelligent solution. Yes it shows he does not fully know what to do, but then I think almost noone knows what to do. I actually find Obama's words to be the closest to truthful right now. He acknowledges it will be rough and it will take time. This... is true

September 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Dehra Robinson

I think Obama reacted wisely. A lot more presidential than McCain. This, our economic dilemna, is a very complexed situation. It cannot be resolved overnight. McCain on the other hand "pushed the button" before he even knew what hit him. We need a president that doesn't always act without rationalizing first.

September 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Pamela

Hey, I have a printer and an uncle overseas that will loan me a few bucks. I guess, according to this "plan", I could bailout the economy!

September 19, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  28. Martie

I don't even want to think about how low the dollar will get after the feds print over a trillion "new" dollars. In the 90's I lived in a third world country whose currency isn't even valued in the US. Wallets were useless -we used to carry around plastic grocery bags of the stuff just to buy food.

September 19, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  29. deb

i want the mud slinging to end and for strategy to be expressed. I don't think either candidate has a clue. It would be really helpful to know cabinet choices,

September 19, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  30. joanne/ florida

As the dollar keeps going down, how long are we going to have to pay taxes for the bail-out, and are we going to have to pay interest on this bail-out also?

September 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Emma

Ed Rollins is correct. It does feel like they're rushing things. I agree that we need to do something but I hope they're not being rash.

September 19, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Clarence, Albuquerque

Do either of these candidates really have a grasp on what's happening?....It doesn't seem that any of the economic experts have a grasp of what's going on...the only thing either of the two candidates can do is to try to figure out what to do with what they inherit....

September 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  33. Jolene

During this time of crisis I would expect both candidates to unite for a solution, not divide us even more. Unfortunately, I don't think either candidate is strong when it comes to the economy.

September 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  34. jean

I do not understand what is happening with our economy.I do not believe the average person out there does.I consider myself a reasonably intelligent woman.I wish you would have someone on 360 that could explain it in laymans terms.I am very fond of your show and watch it often I think you are very unbiased.

September 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  35. mamello, canada

I don't think talking tough will solve the financial problem. Obama seems to have the right jugment to wait and see the details. To just go and start firing people, to run to the podium and give out plans before assesing the problem seems too ......bad.

September 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  36. Brian M

Who is going to get paid the 100s of billions of dollars? It is no secret that foreigners have been loaning us trillions for years. Our government will basically transfer the billions to foreign lenders. Politicians, journalists, and economists have conveniently forgotten to note this.

September 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Lily

Anderson of course Obama is hitting back... he has to respond to McCain false accusations.

September 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  38. carol

How desperate is McCain? He blames Obama for Bush Government's screwups? I agree with Obama, be careful with what comes next.

September 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Allison

This bailout fixes the symptoms but not the cause. The bailout is a very risky gamble by our government and the melt down has simply been postponed. It is ironic that the catalyst for this financial disaster was driven by lenders/individuals purchasing homes that they could not afford; and now our government has bought a bailout that they can not afford. It is a sad time.

September 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Chris Allen

Yes Anderson,
    The price of gold per ounce went up 11%. The most 1 day rise in history.... Just so you know!!

Chris

September 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Linda M, Michigan

Does John McCain, or any republician for that matter, really truly believe the middle class people believe that our economy is or will be sound? Bottom line, the government saw these signs a year ago and did nothing. Now this "miracle" plan involving a trillion dollars, which must come from somewhere, will be put into place over the weekend. Our dollar will be devalued. Government statistics are not accurate in regards to the number of people unemployed or those that lost their homes. Michigan, the motor capital city of the world, is one of the hardest hit. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! If you do not see that we are already in a recession, you are blind.

September 19, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Josh

Since the money we need to bail out the country is in direct relation to the amount we have spent in Iraq. Shouldn't we be calling in our markers with the Iraqi government and the surplus they have?

September 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Cheryl

I think it is very intelligent for Obama to take a moment and go through the possibilites in order to make an informed comment on this situation instead of saying something he'll have to take back tomorrow.

September 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Friday. I'm glad the week is ending on a more positive note as far as financial matters. Your discussion has been enlightening tonight.

September 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Matt

Does anyone know how much money the American treasury actually have ?

September 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  46. Anna W.

I strongly suggest people to go back and listen to Obama's remarks earlier today. He was extremely informative, thoughtful and did an excellent job reiterating the main principles that should guide the government's actions in this crisis.

He delayed rolling out his specific plans because a) he wants to be fully briefed about the details of what Mr.Paulsson/Bernanke are proposing, and b) he believes candidates shouldn't be offering competing, possibly contradictory proposals when the country's leadership is trying to act in unison.

September 19, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Chaz

Yes it seems a lot of people have forgot that the housing crisis triggered this downfall!

September 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Joan from Orlando

The bailout is just a temporay fix because the market is going to crash. We need to know the root cause of the problem. This has been happening for for some time. Who is going to bail out main street America?

September 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Lenard

Hello Anderson,

My whole take on the issue of these bailouts is simple. Obviously the Republicans know the can not win at this point. So now they are creating al of these irresponsible bailouts with no clear plans of recovery, so the Democrats can fail their first 4 years to clean this mess up.

September 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Sandee

Since neither candidate can do anything about the immediate crisis, why does everyone keep saying they have no comments or answers? The experts don't seem to agree on what to do either...

September 19, 2008 at 10:26 pm |