September 19th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/19/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tom K, Frankfort NY

Anderson :
    There isn't enough gold on the planet to actually back this thing up
    or to buy into

September 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Jasper

As I see it, the main weakness in our economy is the massive transfer of wealth caused by our dependence on forengn oil for our energy. Somehow this must be related to the current crisis in the financial world, though this connection seems to be ignored.

Any comments from this panel.

September 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Emma

I believe gold went up like $80 yesterday.

September 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Terry from Dallas

Okay – I get it, we're going to bail out the failed companies and we will all share the "pain". Does this mean we all get to share the CEO's profits? When is someone going to ask them why they think they should keep their big payoffs? Why aren't they going to feel the "pain"?

September 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Anna W.

John McCain lost a huge opportunity today to try to regain some moral credibility and help the country through this crisis.

His brash, deceitful and hiperpartisan attacks were completely out of place.

His equally brash and irresponsible, gimmicky "proposals" display the complete lack of a real desire to address the emergency at hand.

September 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  6. Russ

Peter Schiff has a rather extreme point of view. Not sure he added much to the discussion. Ali and the guy from the WSJ offered far more realistic assessments. A collapse of the whole financial sector would be far more costly to the American people than the proposed creation of a new Resolution Trust type entity used during the S&L crisis of the 1980s.

September 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Mike M

Dana Bash misrepresented O'Bama's relation to Franklin Raynes, O'Bama never took advice from him – he has no ties to him, and Raynes is not involved in O'Bama's campaign. McCain is just as culpable for relations with Wall Street lobbyists – more so in fact. Please at least get the facts before repeating lies.
    Thanks.

September 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

@ Mary~It is the meltdown of the middle class.

September 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Carmel Harrington

I am personally affected by this market, I am one of the nations 6% unemployed due to a layoff 2 weeks ago from a national builder that simply stopped building. Now I have to worry about being upside down on my interest only home loan, gas inflation, food inflation and apparently now my 401k and insurance. Thanks Bush!!!! Who's meeting over the weekend to figure out the underlying root of our troubles which is the housing market and helping the average homeowner? Where is our share of the $3 trillion?

September 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  10. Charles

Yes it did. Most of the world left gold along time ago as it really limits the ability of economies to grow. Like any form of money, gold is only as good as the number of people who are willing to accept it as money.

September 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  11. James Paniagua

AC,
    This is nothing. No one is being proactive. AC our pension, how sound is our pension, or how sound are the holders of our pension.

Jimmmmy

September 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Pamina

Gold has been worth a lot since last year. That was an interesting suggestion. A lot of people bought gold during WWII because of it's longevity.......

September 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  13. Josette... Denver,Co

Good evening Anderson. Did'nt gold go up because they printed more $$$$?

September 19, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Brandi-bottom of the boot

k, anderson, would that be white gold too? lol i dont like yellow. hmmm...where would i hide those bars?

September 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  15. bill owens

Hi, I hear Peter Schiff loud & clear. I am against this "backstop". rather than the bailout what about giving every taxpayer $10,000.00? This would be cheaper and we would be saying what economic downturn.

September 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Andy from Canada EH!

The bailout is but a pause on the slippery downward slope. America appears to be a place of excess : too many guns, too much crime, too much trade deficit, too many illegal immigrants, too much corruption and of course too debt!! ... And the poor voters / taxpayers have a choice between a lawyer (Obama) and a nice public servant (McCain) for their next president.

The over riding goal should be to eliminate the debt and to make this happen you need to elect a very good accountant or a magician for the next President! What a mess!!!

September 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  17. EJ (USA)

I'm not sure about the whole gold thing. I could've sworn I heard that advice before and it turned out not to be good advice for people who went that route... But I don't have assets or stocks so who am I to say.

September 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  18. Bob Sellers-Alabama

How can we TRUST any "fix" to the bleeding, while all the politicians are "fixed" by the bankers who are the only beneficiaries of the bailout money? It is an issue of total lack of trust in the "leaders".

September 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  19. Pamina

It is interesting that neither candidate has come up with a possible solution to this hole we are now in with our economy. I would be interested in hearing any plan at this point.

September 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  20. John

Why do you let McCain off the hook by reporting that Obama accepted money from fannie and freddie but you aren't reporting the amount received by the McCain campaign I had to get that from Jim Lehrer. Please do your job and report ALL the facts.

September 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Shane O'Sheeran, Las Vegas, Nevada

Anderson, Erica...While we talk about each candidate and their positions on the crisis, lets not forget that John McCain without knowing anything about what acting President Paulson's plan is yet has stated a number of positions and plans, including firing the head of the SEC, and then today firing the head of the FEC??? LOL and that he was against the AIG bailout on Tuesday but on Wednesday he was all for it, and that He is now a de-regulator and will change Washington and enforce real regulation even though his actual entire political philosophy for 26 years in Washington is all about de-regulation as a fact...Hmmmmmm

September 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Jolene

Anderson: The bailout discussion was very interesting, just not long enough!

September 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Margaret Wilson

These investment firms were allowed to grow too large and it makes it hard to have a realistic understanding of where the money is. It's like you are a needle in a haystack when investing.

September 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Roylin Petties

This is unbelievable, the republican polices have brought us to this and now Mcain wants to act like he will change it. If we would have had regulations to begin with this would have never happened....Let's wake up America....if find it funny that Mcain is talking regulations when he voted against regulations many times.

September 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Howard, That is why the rich do these things, they are always able to glide through it one way or another.

26. Carmen

brandi – that's why wall street rallied today, the kids threw a party after dad tossed out his credit card to pay for their mistakes!

27. John

I have a college degree and had to look for a work outside the US in order to pay off my debts. Its very difficult to find work these days in my profession.

28. Megan Dresslar

I am disagree with guests's comment.... I don't understand what they are talking about.

29. Sara in Minneapolis

Yep, people panicked and put all their money into gold.
    Schiff's advice WAS scary–we've been moving more and more towards "letting the free market take care of itself" and I don't think it's been working out too well. Apparently even McCain has come to that conclusion as well!

30. HEIDI

can we ignore , ms. Palin

31. Beth

McCain's new slogan is Country First or Obama First. Is anyone else offended by this? I support Obama AND I support my country. I think McCain is crossing the line.

32. Presley

Ok, how many countries owe US money?
    Or are we just far beyond calling in markers at this point?
    I am trying to understand all of this.

33. Jason (Tampa, FL)

Fanne and Freddy Mea...so is that why Obama has not denied the accusations that the CEO's of both companies giving Him money and also advising him in certain policies?

34. Mike, Syracuse NY

Where does Obama come off say he is 'letting' the treasury work out a solution. He is one of one hundred senators, with no special power to do more or less than anyone else.

35. Lisa Tyler

I think Obama really looked bad by not making a better statement. I thought he kind of "whimped" out a bit.

36. Jean Sylvia

It took years for this mess to happen, while Washington slept. I find it amazing that in a few days they came up to a solution. I heard nothing about them stopping all forecloseures and brinking the interest rates of the bad loans to the original rate. We rushed to war, are we rushing to disaster.

37. Jenny

wonder how low the value of the dollar will get, it is quite frightening

38. Liz - New York

Why is no one asking about the accountability of the overpaid,
    overcompensated CEOs and Chairmen of these companies who now need the taxpayers to bail them out?

How are our elected officials who are the verge of cleaning up this mess with our money going to hold this group accountable and
    demand they forfeit hefty salaries, expensive perks, golden parachutes, and future bonuses?

I have yet to hear one interviewer ask that question today while Senator Dodd made his media rounds today. Where is the accountabililty and punishment?

Ask that question please.....

39. Jan in Kennesaw Georgia

We saw another example of McCain reacting without all the facts and then having to step back and attack Obama instead. Obama gets the information, talks it out with others and then takes his position. Which leader would you rather have? I've worked for a lot of CEO's and the ones who came in like lions, go out like lambs. We need level heads in this global environment.

40. carolann

can you discuss how / who decides when "new" money gets printed?

41. Martie

I'm not sure the panic has been avoided – only postponed. Since even the financial gurus don't really understand what effect the derivatives market will ultimately have, it's difficult to trust that they'll know how to fix the problem. I guess we're all along for the ride – let's hope the brakes don't fail.

September 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  42. Gregg Wolin

If given a few years to stabilize (over-correct, then recover), real estate values (which are now where they should be (had there been no boom)), there be very little net cost to taxpayers of a "bailout". Isn't this simply a few years of "credit enhancement"? There will be some losses, however they shouldn't be that huge. I believe the RTC actually made a "profit" on its assets. The true "net" cost of the S&L bailout, was fairly small.

September 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  43. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Anderson, gold took an astronomic turn upwards. You're right.

September 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  44. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson.

I think you quell the panic like your guest said and the economy can get back to business. Seems like wall street's been crying out for help all year

September 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Jorgie

I am worried about the dollar losing value. I love buying imported goods but little by little the cost of buying abroad is not looking like such a good idea in the long term.

September 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Well Anderson I just might be selling my jewelry!

September 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Shannon

So I am confused what Obama was supposed to do, have a message on his website that he does not take money from any Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac employees? I mean how does a candidate prohibit employee from a company from contributing. It is very different taking individual random contributions than accepting lobby or Pac money.

September 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Armand Graziani

Someone explaine this to me. The gov't buys up all this bad debt and we start over like it didn't happen. What does this mean to those people whose homes are threatyened by foreclosure? Do they now owe the money to the gov't?

September 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  49. EJ (USA)

McCain definitely is panicked – and it not making much sense.

September 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Matt

As a Canadian (an outsider looking in ) How is it possilbe that the republicans are even close in this election ? The American economy is falling apart ? There has been a war based on fall pre-tenses ? And Americas popularity around the world is at a all time low.Does no responsibilty lie with the adminstation ??? How is this election even close ??

September 19, 2008 at 10:16 pm |