September 19th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/19/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Connie in SLC UT

What does this guy mean we are not in a recession?

September 19, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  2. Shane O'Sheeran, Las Vegas, Nevada

Hello Anderson,

Everyone agrees that the entire financial crisis is because of de-regulation right, well that is what every single person has said so I assume it is. With that being the case why is no one talking about the underlying facts about what actually caused this to happen. The fact that Phil Grammm, and John McCain from the Keating five scandal and then from 1999 on forward were the actual ones who caused all the de-regulation. That is a fact and that is the actual real underlying story here as fact! Lets all talk about that since it is the they are the actual root cause of all of this.

September 19, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  3. Jolene

If we let the market play it's course, we would be heading into a depression. Why would Americans want to be in a depression or bad recession? The feds did what they had to do to avoid the panic.

September 19, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  4. Chris Allen

Good evening Anderson..

AIG invested money in to the company I work for. How does that effect the company I work for now??

Chris

September 19, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  5. Jan

I know who is going to pay for this massive bailout. It's us, the American public!!! Once again, the government is balancing its budget on the backs of middle income Americans. I've watched my 401K shrink by the day. That's money I earned that I faithfully put aside for my retirement. I'm 58 years old. I'm watching my hard-earned retirement money vanish. Who's bailing me out? Thanks for nothing.

September 19, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar

Janice in Atlanta,
    Probably yes, war is already destroy economy........

September 19, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  7. EJ (USA)

Anderson – your guests are not really making things clear for us...

September 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  8. kim-chicago

@Mike...I agree, the tone was very somber and no nonsense, hopefully there is nothing more ominous on the horizon.

September 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  9. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

China has to continue investing in our bonds. If they don't , we'll stop buying their products because the economy would just colapse so far there would be no $ (for consumers) to buy anything!

September 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  10. HEIDI

if we not economically stable , who will give us money

September 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Emma

I want to hear what the critics think we should do. Should we just do nothing and wait for the market to collapse?

September 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  12. Teri-California

Why doesn't anyone blame Congress for this mess? The dems got in 2 years ago and was going to make everything better. They haven't done anything either. We need to clean out Congress and put in new people all the way down. It is sad that only rich people can run for any office today.

September 19, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  13. HEIDI

from whom can we borrow money

September 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  14. yolanda

This is my first time blogging . I have four sons and worried about paying for college.This is real scary.

September 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  15. Brandi-bottom of the boot

i just wanna know if im still going to be able to afford gas. the more their mouths move, the more confused i get. 🙂

September 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  16. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Guess who is paying for the bailout? US! This won't even help those who have lost their homes! We're screwed!

September 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  17. Jan in SC

I say let them fall or it is never going to end. Are we really suppose to believe the guys who never saw this coming or even worse did and chose to do nothing about it ! These wealthy Corporate Monsters
    got EXACTLY what they wanted with this buyout and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

September 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  18. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@JoAnn..."I hate to say it, but this bailout just seems like it is delaying the inevitable."

You are so right, JoAnn. We're no where near the bottom.

September 19, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  19. Charles

Do these guys realize that banks stopped loaning money to other banks on Wednesday? That the entire global system stopped two days ago?

September 19, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar

Yes bloggers..... we need help to save market, I think we need more jobs, pay bill or everything...... I can't loan anyone......

September 19, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  21. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

This bailout is a bandaid. The market is going to FALL! No panic here though~

September 19, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  22. gerry

it's just rolling the problem farther down the road. This is just teh beginning. Everyone can thank Phil Graham

September 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  23. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Having Paulson in charge of the Treasury is like having my dachschund in charge of an open box of dog treats. It's a gross conflict of interest.

September 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  24. Charles

Hmmmm, let it all work out....he must be independently wealthy and not care.....the value of a currency is tied to the ability of an economy to produce.

September 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  25. Janice n Atlanta

Do you think maybe the war is destroying our economy?

September 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  26. mike in ohio

Hey, since this is obviously making every other nation's market, why not get all them together and wipe out everyone's debt to each other. This could be a literal tuba-rasa. THis could fix an enormous "chink in the gears"

September 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Rose Webb

Is China going to pay for our bailout? I know it's said that the taxpayers will pay but will we have to be paying back China ultimately?

September 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I hope a bailout doesn't backfire on us down the road. Even the experts can't agree with each other.

September 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Steve - southern Illinois

Between the two wars and bailing out these banks I'm afraid there can't be much left for education, healthcare, and infrastructure.

September 19, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Maureen / Newman, California

I sure hope that part of the Fed's plan includes helping to keep people in their homes. This is crucial to moving cash back into the banks permanently. Otherwise, we will be right back where we started with another melt down several months down the line.

September 19, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Margaret Wilson

Why does the money have to say "In God We Trust " It should now say "God Help Us" with the way these markets go anymore.

September 19, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

September 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Charles

Evening Anderson

September 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

We're not out of the woods. The Bush administration has left us shattered. Even Ronald Regan was not this bad.

September 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Maureen T

Anderson,
    like Ali said we are not out of the woods yet! It's a wait and see game!

September 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  36. will sanderfer, Indiana

should we be concerned about another great deprecision?

September 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Mike, Syracuse NY

There seems to be a bipartisan effort to fix this. It seemed that the people who met last night were very somber today. There must have been extreme news we haven't heard yet.

September 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar

I hope it will work out for market........

September 19, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Connie in SLC UT

This bailout seems like it is benefiting the corrupt rich people at the top of the chain while the taxpayers will pay

September 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Paolo

Hi Anderson,

That news of the bailout is making me think this is the worst economic crisis since the great depression of 1929.

September 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  41. lynn

Except Traceu the taxpayers could be in debt by up to a further trillion dollars!!

September 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  42. gerry

Loading all the bad loans into a govenment funded corp looks good, but it still doesn't fix the root cause.

September 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Socialized bailout for privatized profits...all Americans became socialists today. The only positive thing I can think of is that it will all work out eventually (and we'll all be dead eventually). Convince me that Secty Paulson is more concerned with protecting the interst of Americans before protecting his interest in Goldman Sachs and his Wall Street buddies. This is all just disgusting...

September 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Pamina

Does the government really believe that this bailout will solve the problem? I wonder how President Bush plans to pay for it. The money needs to come from somewhere.

September 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. HEIDI

good evening

September 19, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo Anderson, Erica and best bloggers!!!!
    I am exciting news stocks going up than before.

September 19, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Well, if it's as dire as it appears, then I hope Congress acts fast for once.

September 19, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Tracey - Boston

good evening. the market closed thirty points lower than last friday. if you were in a coma this week you'd never know what a week it was.

September 19, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. lee

Good evening, Anderson. Your crazy viewers are back.

September 19, 2008 at 10:00 pm |