September 17th, 2008

Will Bible study moms transform this race?

David Brody | BIO
CBN News Senior National Correspondent

The Brody File has been told that there are plans underway to organize a “Faith Moms” rally for Sarah Palin when she takes on Senator Biden at the October 2nd debate in St. Louis. The McCain camp is not behind it. It’s being organized by a couple of unnamed (for now) Evangelical groups.

We’ve heard a lot of talk about “hockey moms” ever since Sarah Palin entered the race. And yes, Palin is attracting these strong, Independent fierce, “pit bulls with lipstick” for sure. But the enthusiasm and the “get out of your seats and do something” spirit looks to be coming from what we may want to call “Bible Study Moms”.

These moms are the millions across this country who are ecstatic that McCain picked a strong Christian woman as his running mate. These are the moms who go to their Bible studies in the middle of the week and send in checks to places like Concerned Women for America and other Christian organizations. Finally, these women will proclaim that we have our Hillary Clinton. These moms (who consider themselves politically astute) probably were not all that motivated to vote for McCain before Palin but now are jazzed and telling friends.

Obama has quite a bit of enthusiasm and tons of volunteers. Can these "Bible Study Moms" mobilize fervently for McCain now? Some may volunteer physically but in "Bible Study Mom" land it's also all about the email circulating and word of mouth. That's powerful when it comes to getting out to vote. By the way let me make perfectly clear that Palin is resonating with more than just Christian women but the point here is that this key group is now much more energized.

Evangelical leader, Reverend Patrick Mahoney, tells me the following:

It's fascinating what is going between Palin and these "Faith Moms." It is not something that is being hyped by the media or being manufactured by the campaigns. There is a true, honest, sincere bonding that is going on that is quite extraordinary. Politics these days is so orchestrated it comes as a breath of fresh air when something completely unexpected breaks on the scene. They sense that she is one of them and for the first time understands their struggles and hopes.

I was just talking with a leading republican activist and organizer from Bedford, New Hampshire and she was saying how Palin has changed the dynamic of the race overnight. This woman, Shannon, has four children her husband is affluent and all her female friends are talking about Palin. In my own house, my wife and daughter got tickets to see Palin in Northern Virginia. That is something they have never done before.

A good friend, who owns a business in Virginia, got up at 6:00 A.M. with here daughter to see Palin. These are professional women, well educated women, stay at home moms, who have been captured by the Palin Mystique. Most of these women, all women of faith, have never gone to a political rally before and I think this kind of energy will translate into votes and passion this November.

Are you one of these “Bible Study Moms”? The Brody File would love to hear from you.

Read more...

Filed under: Barack Obama • John McCain • Raw Politics • Religion • Sarah Palin
  1. Suzie

I am proud to say I am a bible study mom and yes I do go to our Lord and Savior for answers! I believe Obama when he says he's the one everyone is waiting for. I believe he is in fact the antichrist! And this makes me a bit uneasy. I do not want to be one of the ones facing Christ when I pass on and He ask me why I voted for Obama! He is scary to say the least!
    Come on people! Do you really think Obama will do a good job? He has the same superior air about him as Bush! I can not stand to watch Bush and it makes me sick to know us Americans will have another 4 years of a Bush look a like if Obama is elected! He (Obama) has yet to give a clear answer to how he is going to fix the problems we are in now! I am voting for McCain Palin. I think they are the clear change American needs now! Remember we have had a Democrats controlling congress for the last two years. I do not hear anyone mention this! Come on news media tell both sides of the story and stop the bias you all have for Obama. If he wins the American people will blame you!

September 18, 2008 at 12:13 am |
  2. Scott

Let's face it folks. We're living in a time when neither presidential candiate is a good choice, as it has been for many elections.

Neither candiate speakes of his true record, neither candiate has written a budget. Neither candiate respects the people who they claim to represent, and neither candiate has any inkling of telling the truth.

The reason Palin has attracted so much attention is her sex and to some–not this voter–sex appeal. Neither qualify her to be in politics.

Look at what all the players are saying, read their respective records, pray–yes pray–to our God that a true leader may emerge, and vote.

Speeches lie, speakers lie, records do not.

September 18, 2008 at 12:12 am |
  3. Bonnie

How can any woman vote for Sarah Palin when she believes in charging women who have been raped for the rape kit to obtain evidence so that her attacker will be prosecuted. This the only city in Alaska that charged for these. In addition to being raped by your attacker you are then raped by your town. And if Sarah Palin had her way, you would be forced to carry and give birth to your attackers baby.
    THIS WOMAN IS NOT FOR WOMEN, NO WAY NO HOW!!

September 17, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  4. Cay

I can't believe that in the few comments posted on this article, you can read almost every nutty opinion this election evokes from people. Obama is a secret Muslim, all liberals are baby killers, Obama wants to steal our money, working mothers are bad mothers, etc.

When will we stop wasting time on this crap and start taking this election seriously? I'm gettin' scared folks. We do not need, we can not handle, another 4 years of the same failed policies. And we certainly do not need a Palin Presidancy.

Talk about the End Times!

September 17, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  5. Natacha

I am a Christian woman who will NOT be voting for the McCain/Palin ticket. There is something about Palion that is not trustworthy to me. I think she'll say whatever she can get away with to win votes. I don't believe she is being honest in her presentation to the American people. The McCain camp has really disgusted me in the last few weeks with their twisting and changing. All of a sudden they are the ticket for change????? yeah right...Bush promised even more and what did we get out of the deal? an economic disaster and priorities that are quite frankly not beneficial to the United States hard working Americans.

If we elect McCain to office this country will literally sink deeper in that black whole that the Bush administration has been digging for us 😦

September 17, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Tasaha

I'm a bible mom, but will not repeat will not vote for Palin. I have a question for other mother how can you say she has strong values where was she when her daughter got knock up. She is against aboration, but she thinks its ok to go to war and kill other. The bible teaches us thou should not kill what is war.

September 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Anne

Hmmm...I teach 6th grade Sunday School (Bible study), sing in the church choir, serve on a church committee, led the music at Vacation Bible School, tithe (that means donate at least 10% of gross income), make sure my two kids participate in youth and other church activities, and am married to an associate pastor. Active member at a Baptist church in North Carolina. So I guess I qualify as a "Faith Mom."

Wanted Hillary, settling for Obama. Will vote for McCain/Palin when lipsticked pigs fly.

September 17, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  8. Annie Kate

I'm not a Bible study Mom – I'm more of a treehugger Mom. I paid my yearly dues last night to the Wildlife Defense Fund and added a bit to it because their job of protecting the environment and its wildlife is going to be a whole lot harder if Palin and McCain win. Palin thinks she knows so much about energy but she doesn't look at the long run and try to find alternative energy sources for cleaning up our environment and for when the oil runs dry. She's a nightmare to me – I wasn't for Obama before but it will be a very cold day in what is usually a very hot place before I vote for Palin.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 17, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  9. Karen

I fit the description of your article exactly: stay-at-home mom, college educated, politically involved, and yes, I lead Bible studies at my church. I look at Sarah Palin as another Deborah (see Judges chapter 4) or an Esther – someone who could very well be the right person "for such a time as this." As for experience...more experienced men have held that office and made abominable mistakes. I will take good judgment over experience any day. And as for her family, even her special needs baby, I think as VP she will find a way to give them as much of herself as she can. Plus, she'll have more help than most of us with the day-to-day chores that keep most moms from spending quality time with their kids. Who can forget the picture of JFK Jr. hiding under his dad's desk in the Oval Office? I'm pretty sure that's what a Palin Veep office would look like.

September 17, 2008 at 9:27 pm |
  10. Lots of questions No answer

We keep hearing that we are safer because the terrorist have not been able to do any damage to this country for the last 7 yrs. I'm not rocket scientist, but what I have been seeing is the terrorist hit this powerful country where it counts. They hit us in the wallet and we are helping them put this country in poverty. I see major companies going under and people losing everything, I'm a single parent with a lot of faith and I am trying to raise my child with good values, but no matter how hard I work I'm barely getting by. I don't know about you but I am not voting for a woman who shoots animals like they have no reason to live but tells us that she can fix this country. Think about it, could we be those animals one day.

September 17, 2008 at 9:17 pm |
  11. bcolei

if abortion were off the table would you conservative christians actually vote republican?

i honestly think that republicans really never want to overturn roe vs. wade because that would get rid of a group of loyal one-issue voters that they have manipulated for their own purposes.

September 17, 2008 at 9:15 pm |
  12. pennyinmass

im voting for obama why? he will bring real change to americans!!

September 17, 2008 at 9:15 pm |
  13. Melissa, a BSM in Houston

Wow, I didn't realize I was such a stereotype. But, your third paragraph pretty much nailed me.

I am a stay-at-home-mom to 4 and a bible study mom to the nth degree. And, until recently, a Republican who was just neutral about McCain, considering him little more than the alternative to Obama and his penchant for voting for infanticide.

And yeah, Palin has jazzed me and almost all of my BSM friends. I haven't seen any of my Dem friends crossing over because of her. But for those of us who were too busy wiping noses, changing diapers and trying to finish our bible study homework to do much more than occasionally glance at election coverage and rolling our eyes, suddenly we're interested. Very, very interested. 'Jazzed,' some might say.

I could spend hours analyzing the whys of it. However, I have four kids to feed and put to bed.

So, I'll just see ya at the polls.

September 17, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  14. Christina

My mother's born-again, attends a pentacostal church affiliated with Assemblies of God, and teaches kids with Down Syndrome and other special needs. She is a firm supporter of Senator Obama.

She knows Obama will help a greater number of Americans than McCain, admires his diplomatic approach to foreign policy, and believes he will help restore America's standing in the world. She is among many conservative women who believe Obama will be an excellent President .

September 17, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  15. lampe

I am a women, who will under no circumstances, vote for a man with no religious beliefs. I will vote for McCain\Palin, because as a Democrat, I can not let this country fall into the hands of a man, who let his wife and his children worship with a man who preaches hate.

September 17, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  16. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

CNN: I am one of those Bible study moms & grandmothers. I have seen what the last eight years of GOP rule has done to our Nation and I wont stand for another 4!

McCain/Bush/Cheney and the GOP are leaving our Nation in a crisis! Not only do we owe, $10 TRILLION IN NATIONAL DEBT.

We have lost 600,000 jobs this year alone, and today HP laid off 24,000 people.

We have attacked a sovereign nation, Iraq, and are spending $1.38 BILLION a day!

CNN do not stereotype, "Bible study" moms/grandmothers, we are NOT the "sheep" of the GOP!

We too, are fed up...... and ALL the women I KNOW, are voting for Sen. Obama! Oh yeah.........Utah........may be turning a nice shade of purple!

September 17, 2008 at 8:45 pm |
  17. Linda

Sarah Palin is just another lying Republican. I am so afraid of what the Republican ticket has done to our country so far, that McCain and Palin are not a good choice. She has proven already that she lies, cheats and steals from her own state.
    My and my families lives are a lot worse now than we were eight years ago. The only ones that are better off are the people in the top tax brackets which the Republicans favor.
    Why or why can't people see what another 4 years of Republican politics will do to our country and economy.
    I hope every one that votes Republican has a son or daughter that they are willing to send to war, because my children will not be going to support an effort that didn't exist before the dumb ass in the White House got us in this mess.

September 17, 2008 at 8:34 pm |
  18. T. Grissom

I can't believe that Christian women condine Sarah Palin she has blatently lied so many times it's ridiculous then she poses with guns and brags about killing. How can the so-called Hilliary supporters turn coat so fast to a woman who has NOTHING in common with Hilliary, they do not share the same views for the future of this country (they are comparing apples and oranges).

September 17, 2008 at 8:16 pm |
  19. Richard Nordland

The US Constitution says there will NOT be a state religion. I agree with that. I agree that everyone has the right to choose what religion they want to believe in. The government cannot tell you what religion you must believe in or how to pray. So I think that all religions should then stay out of the governments business.
    Politicians shouldn't be legislating their personal beliefs on all.
    When all religious organizations pay taxes and conform with all the laws of the land then they can have a voice in what the government does. Until then they can stay out of the election process as well. The media needs to do that as well. The media needs to STOP making what ever religion the candidates have an issue. The media should be there to inform the public about ALL of the candidates and where they stand on all of the issues, not just focus on 2 or 3 candidates and who their ministers are, or what their ministers say. That is not an issue.

September 17, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  20. Jody

I'm not a "Bible Study" mom–but there are several in my book club–and trust me–they will be a force - I was always under the misguided believe that these religious women were robots and did what their husbands said. . . boy not true. They are very smart, know what they want and have minds of their own–plus they are made of steel! Never underestimate the "mom network"!

September 17, 2008 at 8:04 pm |
  21. Phyllis from Canada

Wow! As a "bible study" mom looking in from just outside the USA, I'm quite amazed by some of the comments made here on this blog. I found when watching Obama's speech, that he came across as a caring person who wants to try to help those in need in his country. When was that a bad thing?

To the person who applied Obama's name into the Bible passage from Revelations 13, I would suggest that you also notice the large crowds and quite vocal followers Ms. Palin draws so hypothetically we could also be talking about her and interjecting her name into that passage.

I don't think that's what John the Apostle had in mind when he wrote this passage; and I think Christians need to examine ourselves very closely if we feel superior to those who have other beliefs. Maybe we should follow Jesus' example of love and care to all of those around us; not just those of the same political stripe we are. Just a thought...

September 17, 2008 at 7:54 pm |
  22. RJ

Gail,

The difference between Obama and Clinton can be found in their approach to a national healthcare plan. If that was the only outstanding issue, is the difference enough for you to cast a vote for McCain?

Are you kidding? I think there's more here because Obama will certainly have the most qualified cabinet which I think will include Sen. Clinton.

September 17, 2008 at 7:49 pm |
  23. RJ

Gail,

Obama is just as much a Christian who accept Christ as his Personal Saviour as you have. You have no right to judge another as faithful Christian. Shame on you.

September 17, 2008 at 7:42 pm |
  24. "Terry" Snellville, GA.

This election want even be close... John McCain can pick whom ever he chooses he wont have a prayer. Palin has over shadowed him to the point it is harming the campaign. he can't go any place without her for failure of a bad turn out. That does not signal too me that Rep. believe in John McCain. They rather see the hockey mom.

September 17, 2008 at 7:41 pm |
  25. Mary

On Sarah Palin's qualifications;
    The population of the entire state of Alaska (the HIGHEST I can come up with); is 676,987 people. The population of the entire CITY of Detroit, Michigan is 916,952.
    IF the mayor of Detroit were being offered to us as a Vice Presidential candidate, I'd very much wonder as to his qualifications, governing so few people. Also, Wasilla, Alaska's population was approximately 5,000 when she was Mayor. HIGHLY questionable experience by my calculations!.

September 17, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  26. GAIL Centre,Al;

Palin, hang in there girl, put that lipstick on an you go girl.
    Let everyone read REV.13, and they would never vote for Obama.
    Read it and see if it reminds you of anyone. Let them raise all the money, they want, it's the votes that count. AND OBAMA IS CRASHING.

September 17, 2008 at 7:24 pm |
  27. Dan Stewart

Sarah Palin is the perfect continuation of the Bush model of Governance, full of right wing ideology and lacking in any kind of understanding of the real world. People are so blinded by a few wedge issues such as abortion and gay marriage that they are willing to continually vote for a party that has destroyed our economy, ripped up the constitution and cost the lives of thousands of American service personnel in an unnecessary war. Whats more laughable is the Republican mantra "Country First" these people put their extreme ideology ahead of the country time and time again. Sarah Palin personifies all these faults in American society.

September 17, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  28. paul

what is this I just heard that Sarah Palin who's running for vicepresident of The United States of America .Refuses to testify on a current investigation that involves her, and all the members of her staff are doing the same and they refuse to cooperate with the investiagtion.Sounds to me that all of you should be investigating more instead of annointing her as a Mother Theresa.

P.S.Has anyone asked her any questions about the issues such as her views in the economy,immigration, and race .

September 17, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  29. teri

Palin a Christian that lies and keeps repeating them. I hope that other soccer, hockey and bible mom's look beyond her being a woman but what she has acccomplished (AK has no sales, income tax and they have a surplus DUE to oil and gas goiing up)and what she is under investigation for and will she distance herself from Steevens and when will she be out and about ALONE?

September 17, 2008 at 7:11 pm |
  30. Jan from Wood Dale IL

To Mindy in Chatsworth - I'm glad if you are receiving equal pay for equal work, but in most professions that still isn't happening. There seems to be a few other contradictions in your comments. You want to vote for qualified candidates who want women to have the same opportunities a man has. Isn't that what Sarah Palin is asking for, a chance to prove she is qualified to do the same job a man has always done? You think men like women who are smart, successful, and independent. I agree. I also believe Sarah Palin is smart, successful and independent in her professional achievements.

I might not agree with everything Sarah Palin believes in, but she appears to be open and honest in her beliefs. I find a person like that to be more trustworthy than Obama who has gives glib answers like "it's above my pay grade" when asked when life begins.

September 17, 2008 at 7:09 pm |
  31. MaryAnn

People, God does not force us to follow him. He gave us the right to choose, therefore I chose to be a believer.
    Women have the right to choose. Therefore their choice is between them and God. No one else has a right to interfere.
    I also choose Obama-Biden 08

September 17, 2008 at 7:08 pm |
  32. Claudette Siar

I do not believe that "Bible Studies Moms" will allow McCain who has lied repeatedly to seduce their vote and Palin who has the false belief that she can manipulate anyone. Please give some credit to these women. The bible if read and applied, teaches us that there are good and bad in every walk of life. Palvin should go home to the snow, where she can apply her snow tactics. Oh wait, they are about to bust her there for her deceitful ways!.

September 17, 2008 at 6:55 pm |