September 17th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/17/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t?  Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Clarence, Albuquerque

Palin's passion clouded her vision.... I think we're seeing a lot of the passion but now a whole lot of clear vision. Love the glasses

September 17, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  2. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Starting that project in Wasila doesn't sound like good judgement.

September 17, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  3. Will

Deregulation is like letting your kids go in a candy store alone. That what the Republicans (Mccain) with the fat kats own wall street.

September 17, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  4. Jen Gallo

With all this talk about regulators and commissions– it makes me wonder what happened to integrity.Lets just hook 'em all up with a lie detectors tests daily!WOW–whats up America? Integrity starts and home–its time we demand it!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Adriana R Atlanta,Ga

Governor Sarah Palins knowledge consists of Alaska, and her small town in Wasilla. McCain comes across as he will do anything to get elected. Both are running a very scripted race. i dont get any feeling that hey really care about the people they want to lead.

September 17, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Mary, Austin Texas

I am one of those 76,000 a month of Americans who lost their jobs this year...my company downsized me in March.

September 17, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Heather,Ca

I just love Suze!

September 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Taron Young

If people really think an economy can slip this far in two years are not aware and must enjoy the idea of being in the know rather than actually knowing. Yes the Dem have had control of congress for 2 years but the head man is a rep. and he has been there for 8 years. Not to mention that the war has been a great financial obstacle to inheriate 3 years old!

September 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar

Cool webcast I see!!!! excellent webcast!!!! 🙂 Thanks Erica!!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Stacy

After the fantastic reporting and dedication to post-Hurricane Katrina coverage, I'm floored that Ike is being treated like an afterthought. Only a headline? Really? Those people deserve better.

September 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Jacqui Chan

Suzi Orman's great!

September 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Brenda Smith

Today every time someone asked Sarah Palin a question, McCain jumped in, and cracked some jokes to keep her from giving a "real" answer! How pitiful!

September 17, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Tom

I agree with some of the comments I have read encouraging the candidates to get past the name calling and address issues. An additional concern that I have is this. I believe the world is rapidly getting smaller in the sense that we are increasingly interconnected through world markets, communication and transportation. That being the case, I think that we need a leader who will be able to facilitate relationships with other world leaders and look for win – win situations. I think this is a move away from the king of the hill game that we have been playing successfully for so long. I think the democrats are more in step with the type of leadership we need.

September 17, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Luis Salmaso

Hi all,

I'm writing from São Paulo, Brazil, where the news from the Wall-Street crisis have reached us in way that gave our market, the São Paulo stock exchange to drop over 17% this month.

Looking to the presidential race between Obama and McCain, it looks to us, here in Brazil, that both candidates are lost, now knowing what to do. Not only that, it look's like the McCain campaing is even worst, because for us here, look's like they don't know who is the first name on their ticket. We have seen more news about Sarah Palin this past month than we have seen from McCain the entire year. We know being so far away and from another country we don't get the same reports and new you have, but it looks like for us that she is steeling the spot light from McCain, and that now that the info on her is appearing, the shine image the republicans tried to show thruw the last few weeks is not that bright.

September 17, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  15. ashley willis, tx

I live outside of Houston and we had the eye come over us during the hurricane. We still have no electricity (we have a generator!!) and no water. Soooo...I was just wondering, what is FEMA's job? All I see are Texans helping Texans...

September 17, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Kristi in KC missouri

Thank you, Anderson – for David Gergen! I love your show and often choose it over the other stations just for the opportunity to see what great insight will be shared by David Gergen. In a media firestorm where there is always a pundit from the left and one from the right, David is the one voice of reason and neutrality that I ache for on a regular basis. (maybe Eugene, too =) I am hoping to see more and more of him. He is my guide to a fair and honest analysis, much the way Anderson is to his pure journalism. Many many thanks!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Tom K, Frankfort NY

One other thing, these execs apparently were not afraid of anything,
    not the SEC, not the Justice Department, no one. This is a global
    economy and maybe company's liabailtiy will be global too. They are
    lucky this didn't happen in China. They would be indicted and awaiting
    trail from jail by now.

September 17, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Daniel Matthes Duluth, Mn

Can someone please explain to me what is going on here? How in the world can this race even be close? Are there that many people so out of touch with reality that they cannot see what has been happening under the Republican watch. I am truely perplexed. I don't know if anybody noticed but this party is running a campaign against themselves, and the people of America are actually buying it!

September 17, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Lisa

Have we forgotten that we have a President in office now? The question is " What is our president going to do about this money mess?" Why are we so quick to let him off the hook? Why is he not facing the nation now to tell us what he is going to do? The crisis is now not 4 months from now.

September 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Lynda C. from KCMO

So if we are all in agreement that the town hall questions were all planned then does that mean that McCain is afride of real questions or does that mean that Palin is not as ready as they say she is? Just shows the world that he can't handle a little pressure.

September 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Eric Walker,fl

Here in Florida where it is low in wages, number one in fraud(mortgage and medicare)and number one in inflation.

September 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Marcia, Warren MI

Those unemployment figures really don't reflect what is really going on. They are based on those who are actively receiving unemployment benefits, what about those who have exhausted their benefits and still aren't able to find work? No one seems to care about this area of the population.

September 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

Ok Ali but why are we losing those jobs? Contraction of econ? Oil prices? Outsourcing? Mortgage crisis? Need for major direction in industry activity?

September 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  24. marilyn jones

Maybe I missed something, but did Sarah answer any of the questions asked or did she dance around them until everyone forgot what was asked.... People wake up.

September 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Teresa

And oh yes im in battle ground state Virginia so ive been watching both canadates closely

September 17, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Richard A. Spomer

How ever since the goverment hase bailed out AIG, you'd think one would have some sense of what is happening.

September 17, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Don

Ali – great economic update. We can't handle four more years of this. Its going to take some time for the economy to correct.

September 17, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Lawrence

Palin is quickly going from a rising star to a falling star.

Pretty soon she will be viewed as the female version of Dan Quayle.

September 17, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  29. mike, virginia

enough with the bail outs! Let businesses fail, they got themselves in this mess they should bear the responsibility not the taxpayer. When businesses fail, it creates opportunities for others.

September 17, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Greg

How can anybody believe were not in a recession???????????? I just hope we've hit the bottom or close to it.

September 17, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Dana, NYC

Although I am not for bailing companies out of trouble, The AIG bail out was warranted. This is more than rich people as some of you have said. If AIG was to collapse, trust me – it would have costed us at least 3 times more and we would have nothing in return – catastrophic losses, jobs lost. The Feds on this one balanced it out and their decision is right, regardless we like it or not. I know it's easy to blame the rich, but think about it – they are the ones paying us; they loose money we loose our jobs. It might not be the most politically correct thing, but it is true. And aren't we, the investors in the stock market, (even if it is a 401K plan you are still an investor), pushing these companies to make us money? The greed goes across the board

September 17, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar

I agree with David's comment........ we need set up S&L back up going up not being broke or bankrupt......

September 17, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Adriana R Atlanta,Ga

Hey, Erica and Anderson you guys report the news My .family has been living it for the last 8 months. And so far all I see is a deeper , deeper issues, problems, and more loss of jobs.

September 17, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  34. jason

The idea that John McCain put forth for a bipartisn commission to oversee the failing economy is old and not fit anymore for the future.

September 17, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Beverly in MO

I feel Barack Obama has the intelligence it will take to work us out of this economic mess the other party has put this country in.

September 17, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  36. Shannon

I am shocked that the Treasury Department has the ability to decide an 85 billion dollar bail out without going to Congress!!!! Why is this?? Who gave them this type of power?

September 17, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Doug Bell

The economy is going down the wrong road. Obama can change that. McCain is the bridge to nowhere.

September 17, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Robin

Gergen delivered the best line of the night – "McCain is fighting for a commission!"

September 17, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Eric Walker

Gergan is right, the stimulus package should of been spent on projects in cities that would of put people to work and aloud companies to hire people instead of laying them off.

September 17, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Glen, Fancy Farm, Ky

how abov bailing us poor people on a fixed income. Gas,food, medicine !!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  41. yvonne

I wish the American people get realistic we have all suffered in one way or another. lost of jobs homes etc. Or know someone that has. Vote for OBAMA. We need CHANGE!

September 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Donald, Mississippi

It appears that the McCain strategy is to make this campaign a popularity contest. What a joke! I'll take 100% of an inexperienced Obama than 200% of another 4 years of the Bush strategy.

September 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  43. dan

Are you kidding me. McCain to be the leader that will rally the republican party to fight. Are you serious!!!

September 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  44. jesse tatro

Obama has a plan yes, he does, spending more money,making more promises, writing checks he can't cash

September 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Ralph

Gloria is right on with her comments. How is it that one day McCain is for deregulation and a regulator the next . How can you explain your republican idealogy without offending your own brand. Please!

September 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Michael Walker

Tonight's interview Palin stated her job focus was going to be energy. McCain knows national security.
    My question is who's job focus will be on the people?

September 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Teresa

I watched the the McCain Palin town hall and it was a different from the others I,ve seen.It seemed as if it was scripted and the people where picked to ask questions and they already new what the question would be .All but that one question the lady ask on foreign policy...

September 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  48. jane

David Gergen is wrong. Obama is trying to talk about the economy, but its hard to do in sound bites. McCain is truly being the candidate of change. He changes his views almost daily, and he is currently trying to change the truth that he has always been for de-regulation.

September 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  49. Clarence, Albuquerque

I think George Bush is in hiding....If the feds made to move toward AIG you would think someone would speak to what is going on , from the perspective of the current administration.... or anyone with an "official" viewpoint.

September 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  50. Kevin Davis

Several times, in recent days, I have heard the Mccain-Palin team and backers state roughly that John McCain did such a good thing by backing the "surge". Would this even have been necessary if the Bush administration/ Rebulican party had backed Gen. Eric Shinseki over troop levels required prior to the war? And why have we not required the Iraqi government to help off set the cost of the war?

September 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm |